Snargfargle

I want one of these

26 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles

Is that a modern & armed version of the SS Minnow?  ;-)

• Funny 2

Members
2,842 posts
8,921 battles

Looks like my tournament ski boat. We ski in a bad neighborhood..

• Funny 4

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles

For duck hunting.

I want one of these.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,128 posts
19,953 battles

Then you must go the game which must not be named.

Edited by monpetitloup

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
22 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Then you must go the game which must not be named.

That is for the good because PT/MBT/MGB's don't mix with the big ships. If you look at the coastal war in WWII a DD was the BB and they were only sent in when there were high value convoys. I feel that we already have enough square pegs in round holes in the game as it is.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,646 posts
54 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Is that a modern & armed version of the SS Minnow?  ;-)

If that had been the "Minnow" the "uncharted desert isle" would have surrendered and petitioned the US for territorial status. That's a US Navy Mk VI Patrol Boat. Man, give me free gas and provisions (and a bit of ammo for its weapons) and I'd love to sail one of those around the world. Pirates, you say? Ha! I would laugh at pirates.

The way it's set up it would make a great dive boat or research vessel too.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If that had been the "Minnow" the "uncharted desert isle" would have surrendered and petitioned the US for territorial status. That's a US Navy Mk VI Patrol Boat. Man, give me free gas and provisions (and a bit of ammo for its weapons) and I'd love to sail one of those around the world. Pirates, you say? Ha! I would laugh at pirates.

:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_izmena::cap_look::cap_like:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,646 posts
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is for the good because PT/MBT/MGB's don't mix with the big ships.

JFK found that out when a Japanese Destroyer ran over his PT boat and squished it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

JFK found that out when a Japanese Destroyer ran over his PT boat and squished it.

That is why they were the BB's of the coastal waters.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,646 posts
21 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is why they were the BB's of the coastal waters.

I have to admit that I'm pretty mean when I find a DD close to my BB in WOWS. I rarely give it a fair fight if I can ram it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[_BDA_]
Members
306 posts
4,839 battles

These would be interesting in some of these island intense battle maps. 

Imagine a squadron of Elco boats armed with two to four Mark 8 torpedoes, which weighed 2,600 pounds (1,179 kg) and contained a 466-pound (211 kg) TNT warhead. These torpedoes were launched by Mark 18 21-inch (530 mm) steel torpedo tubes. Mark 8 torpedoes had a range of 16,000 yards (14,630 m) at 36 knots (67 km/h; 41 mph/9,900 points max damage). These torpedoes and tubes were replaced in mid-1943 by four lightweight 22.5-inch-diameter (570 mm) Mark 13 torpedoes, which weighed 2,216 pounds (1,005 kg) and contained a 600-pound (270 kg) Torpex-filled warhead. These torpedoes were carried on lightweight Mark 1 roll-off style torpedo launching racks. The Mk13 torpedo had a range of 6,300 yards (5,800 m) and a speed of 33.5 knots (62.0 km/h; 38.6 mph).  These would all be single shot weapons, of course.

PT boats also commonly carried between two and eight U.S. Navy Mark 6 depth charges in roll-off racks that might prove useful against subs.  Some boats had radar and all carried smoke generators.  Their detectability rating would be extremely low and they would be hard to hit due to their high maneuverability, with speeds exceeding 40 knots.  At about 60 tons just about any HE hit would be a kill, but armor piercing would probably go right through unless it hit the engine.  Late in the war, they carried a wide variety of anti-aircraft armament, up to an including 40 mm Bofors.

[_BDA_]
Members
306 posts
4,839 battles
40 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Of the 531 PT Boats that served during World War II only 8 were sunk by being rammed.  99 loses total, to all causes/

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

13 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

Of the 531 PT Boats that served during World War II only 8 were sunk by being rammed.  99 loses total, to all causes/

The DD that rammed the 109 didn't see it and I think it was a "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" moment as I don't think they saw the wreck behind them either.

[_BDA_]
Members
306 posts
4,839 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The DD that rammed the 109 didn't see it and I think it was a "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" moment as I don't think they saw the wreck behind them either.

True.  

[WOLFG]
Members
234 posts
6,625 battles

Well I would pay $$ for the SS Minnow if Mary Ann was the captain.

• Funny 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles
23 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

These would be interesting in some of these island intense battle maps. 

Imagine a squadron of Elco boats armed with two to four Mark 8 torpedoes, which weighed 2,600 pounds (1,179 kg) and contained a 466-pound (211 kg) TNT warhead. These torpedoes were launched by Mark 18 21-inch (530 mm) steel torpedo tubes. Mark 8 torpedoes had a range of 16,000 yards (14,630 m) at 36 knots (67 km/h; 41 mph/9,900 points max damage). These torpedoes and tubes were replaced in mid-1943 by four lightweight 22.5-inch-diameter (570 mm) Mark 13 torpedoes, which weighed 2,216 pounds (1,005 kg) and contained a 600-pound (270 kg) Torpex-filled warhead. These torpedoes were carried on lightweight Mark 1 roll-off style torpedo launching racks. The Mk13 torpedo had a range of 6,300 yards (5,800 m) and a speed of 33.5 knots (62.0 km/h; 38.6 mph).  These would all be single shot weapons, of course.

PT boats also commonly carried between two and eight U.S. Navy Mark 6 depth charges in roll-off racks that might prove useful against subs.  Some boats had radar and all carried smoke generators.  Their detectability rating would be extremely low and they would be hard to hit due to their high maneuverability, with speeds exceeding 40 knots.  At about 60 tons just about any HE hit would be a kill, but armor piercing would probably go right through unless it hit the engine.  Late in the war, they carried a wide variety of anti-aircraft armament, up to an including 40 mm Bofors.

If we combined Operation Dynamo with Operation Cherry Blossom?  Somehow creating a new operation?

Operation Dynamo

• Wows_flag_UK.png Cossack or Tier VI and VII Wows_flag_France.png French, Wows_flag_UK.png British, Wows_flag_USA.png American, Wows_flag_Commonwealth.png Commonwealth, Wows_flag_Poland.png Polish, and Wows_flag_USSR.png Soviet destroyers only.
  • Description: Allied forces were surrounded near Dunkirk. You are to evacuate as many of our soldiers at possible from the mainland with the support of civilian ships. Expect resistance from enemy aircraft, long-range artillery, and torpedo boats. Be careful, the evacuation routes run through minefields.
  • Goal: Support the evacuation of the Allied troops surrounded near Dunkirk.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Operation_Dynamo

[_BDA_]
Members
306 posts
4,839 battles
5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If we combined Operation Dynamo with Operation Cherry Blossom?  Somehow creating a new operation?

Operation Dynamo

• Wows_flag_UK.png Cossack or Tier VI and VII Wows_flag_France.png French, Wows_flag_UK.png British, Wows_flag_USA.png American, Wows_flag_Commonwealth.png Commonwealth, Wows_flag_Poland.png Polish, and Wows_flag_USSR.png Soviet destroyers only.
  • Description: Allied forces were surrounded near Dunkirk. You are to evacuate as many of our soldiers at possible from the mainland with the support of civilian ships. Expect resistance from enemy aircraft, long-range artillery, and torpedo boats. Be careful, the evacuation routes run through minefields.
  • Goal: Support the evacuation of the Allied troops surrounded near Dunkirk.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Operation_Dynamo

I was thinking more along the lines of Iron Bottom Sound and Japanese destroyers running supplies down the slot.  Tier II thru IV Japanese destroyers only, with a objective of getting through to the other side of the map, spend a few moments unloading in a safe harbor (at a full stop) and back again.  Full nighttime.  6 to 9 DDs and an appropriate number of PT Boats entering from the bottom of the map and attacking through a number of narrow channels.  

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles
14 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Iron Bottom Sound and Japanese destroyers running supplies down the slot.  Tier II thru IV Japanese destroyers only, with a objective of getting through to the other side of the map, spend a few moments unloading in a safe harbor (at a full stop) and back again.  Full nighttime.  6 to 9 DDs and an appropriate number of PT Boats entering from the bottom of the map and attacking through a number of narrow channels.  

I like the sound of that, too.

[WOLF2]
Members
824 posts
18,923 battles

DD Amagiri - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Amagiri_(1930)

^^^^^:cap_hmm: 

The don't want it embedded so.......  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADboJwbHCs

From my dad's photo album.  Not JFK. This was taken at Leyte.

image.thumb.png.28e3b3ca93cde34247cb58abb5ee5be8.png

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto
  • Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
824 posts
18,923 battles

^^^^Instead of writing "not JFK" I should have written 'not PT-109.'

The above is how this note started and I was going to add 'for all I know that could have been JFK's new boat'  but I decided to check on that before posting.  No, that's not JFK but I found this interesting. 

From Wiki:

On Tulagi Island, under Kennedy's supervision and with his help, PT-59 had all four of her torpedo tubes removed, as well as her two depth charges, and was converted into a more powerful gunboat. She retained two heavy 40-millimeter Bofors cannon anti-aircraft guns now fitted fore and aft. The refit also added six .50-caliber machine gun nests, with three on each side, behind shields. Shielded twin fifty caliber machine guns were placed behind and on each side of the cockpit elevated on circular mounts, and by some accounts, 2 additional thirty caliber machine guns forward of the cockpit in the front of the boat on each side. The higher caliber guns were added to increase range and power and to make the 59 more effective against both Japanese barge traffic, which had powerful guns, and heavy caliber Japanese land and shore based garrisons. Admiral William Halsey, and other high ranking Naval officers, had concluded that the torpedo tubes and Mark 8 torpedoes assigned the old PT's, were highly unreliable, inaccurate, and the torpedoes very rarely hit their mark against larger craft, particularly Japanese destroyers and cruisers. The new PT gunboat was given slightly higher quality radar, and a taller radar mast that could, in theory, boost reception and transmission to 75 miles (121 km).[10] Kennedy lived on the boat during its refit, and worked extremely hard according to Lieutenant Alvin Cluster, who admitted "I never saw a guy work harder, longer hours". Kennedy's gunboat, sometimes referred to as PT-0001 was the first completed, and it carefully followed the design and planning of both Kennedy and squadron commander Cluster.[11] Another PT gunboat was given to Lenny Thom, who helped in the refit, and later commanded. Thom had been Kennedy's former executive officer on PT-109.[2]

Both sides of PT-59's highly flammable 3000 gallon gas tanks, housed below decks and immediately behind the cockpit,[12] and the very top edge of the side of the boat (gunwales) were enforced with armor plate to protect them from return fire. Kennedy was aware that the PT's wooden hulls without armor plating could not withstand even a single bullet or bomb fragment, and that the tiniest shard of hot metal could ignite the gas tanks, instantly destroying the boat and crew.[4] The 59's crew set up some of the armor for live fire tests and found they could be breached at short range with .30 and .50-caliber machine guns at a frontal angle.[13] On 7 October 1943, the five week redesign of PT-59 was completed, and on the following day Kennedy was promoted to full lieutenant. A total of five former crewmen of PT-109 joined Kennedy's crew on PT-59.[14]

PT-59 quietly ended her days in the 1970s after having served as a fishing boat in Manhattan. Because the 59 was thought the former PT-95, a 78-foot Huckins PT boat of very different design, no efforts were made to save or salvage her.  After an unexpected fire, the boat sunk at its mooring, beside the 207th St. Bridge over the Harlem River, around 1976. The hull sat for years and slowly rotted away.[37]

In May 2017, Kennedy biographer William Doyle announced preliminary explorations in the Harlem River near 208th Street indicated a strong possibility that PT-59 could be found and recovered. He is looking to raise funds from Kennedy focused organizations to fully explore the area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_torpedo_boat_PT-59

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,646 posts
3 hours ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I never liked it when "John Wayne" played military men as he never actually served because of "excuses." Conversely, Jimmy Stewart, Marty Robbins, Mel Brooks, Walter Matthau, Johnny Carson, Henry Fonda, James Doohan ("Scotty"), Charles Bronson, and a slew of others all served in WWII. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good actors that haven't served and that's fine but "Wayne" conveniently avoided service because he was too busy making money and cheating on his wife. After being berated by John Ford, who was a Navy commander at the time, he made some tentative inquiries but never really followed up on them so it was apparent that he was not really interested in service. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[NEMO]
Members
712 posts
2,108 battles

the Humdinga is pretty, but other that it floats its no different in operation than my dads Ford

[NEMO]
Members
712 posts
2,108 battles
On 5/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, Snargfargle said:

MarkVIPatrolBoatClean3dsmodel000.jpgA8BD

Only if it would fit in Frank Lake :)

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,646 posts
16 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

Only if it would fit in Frank Lake :)

It's 84 feet long but there are trailers that could carry it. It has a draft of only four feet so it could definitely operate on a lake.