Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

1M+ Elite Commander XP - Paralyzed by Indecision

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,479
[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles

I’m sitting on almost 1.3 million Elite Commander XP, but I just haven’t pulled the trigger to put it anywhere. I could pick from among:

1. Turn my 18-point Smolensk captain into a 19-pointer. With one unused point right now, the skill chosen would hardly be a difference-maker for a ship I don’t play often. Leaves a million in-hand.

2. Turn my 14-point Alaska captain into a 19-pointer. Currently don’t play Alaska a lot, but the skills would be a difference-maker, both for ship performance. This one does take some thinking through: I’ve been steering my Alaska captain toward a different survivability skill mix than my current 19-point US CA and BB commander builds, but does raise the question of rethinking the need for such a captain at all, or whether my current Des Moines/Salem or Montana/prem US BB captain is sufficient.The Captain is currently Alaska-only, but could get dual duty on Baltimore or Buffalo. Would leave enough to generate a 10-pointer elsewhere.

3. Take Ovechkin on Vladivostok from 17 to 19 points. Vladivostok is among my T8 “go to” ships.

4. Fix the shambles that is my French CA command structure. The Henry IV captain (19 pts) is in retraining, the Saint Louis captain has 3 points (needed a snowflake captain), and the Martel captain is in retraining (10 pts). I didn’t play these much after getting to T10. I probably would enjoy the Martel again after the captain gets back on his feet. Haven’t played Henry IV much after it’s shoot and scoot ability was nerfed.

5. Similar but not so drastic backfill among RN BB captains.

6. Some splitting of the difference; e.g, 17 point on Alaska captain, fix the French cruiser line, etc.

In short, I’m hovering between doing the sexy but not necessarily useful things of topping up captains I am using vs. ones I might use, vs.the more mundane task of rectifying problems in captain lines for fleet flexibility.

Thoughts? Similar situations and what you did?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,958
[ARGSY]
Members
20,014 posts
14,281 battles

My philosophy is always to be creating 19 pointers in as many nations as possible. It might not make any difference in skill points for some of them, but it means they start generating ECXP. My US 19 pointer actually left quite a few of his points unused for a while until I could decide what to do with them, but at least he was generating more the whole time.

Go for the ones whose ship you use the most, or which have lots of fun premiums you can stuff them into.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,786
[WORX]
Members
10,615 posts
18,506 battles

I say dont spend it. I have 2 million and I just want my tier 10s without playing a high tier battle.

IMO there is nothing (other then shorting the grind), to use free XP on

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,958
[ARGSY]
Members
20,014 posts
14,281 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

I say dont spend it. I have 2 million and I just want my tier 10s without playing a high tier battle.

IMO there is nothing (other then shorting the grind), to use free XP on

Read the damn question. He's talking about commander XP, not free.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
305
[PROJX]
Beta Testers
724 posts
4,640 battles

Of the captains that are closest to 19 points, which is the one you play most? Upgrade him to 19 points as you'll be able to accumulate more CXP. 

After that, keep it to make retraining easier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,834
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

1.3 million!!! I thought I was bad about spending my elite captains experience, I keep forgetting about it, but I am no where near that amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,786
[WORX]
Members
10,615 posts
18,506 battles

 

7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Read the damn question. He's talking about commander XP, not free.

No matter (I have both at 1 million or above) the same rule apply... Dont spend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,668
[PVE]
Members
6,130 posts
22,432 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

1.3 million!!! I thought I was bad about spending my elite captains experience, I keep forgetting about it, but I am no where near that amount.

(-: I have over 8 mill stacked up myself :-)

Explanation why would take too long & derail thread so just gonna respond to OP now.

1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

No matter (I have both at 1 million or above) the same rule apply... Dont spend...

Actually it's not the same as ecxp can't be used on ships.

33 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I’m sitting on almost 1.3 million Elite Commander XP, but I just haven’t pulled the trigger to put it anywhere. I could pick from among:

1. Turn my 18-point Smolensk captain into a 19-pointer. With one unused point right now, the skill chosen would hardly be a difference-maker for a ship I don’t play often. Leaves a million in-hand.

2. Turn my 14-point Alaska captain into a 19-pointer. Currently don’t play Alaska a lot, but the skills would be a difference-maker, both for ship performance. This one does take some thinking through: I’ve been steering my Alaska captain toward a different survivability skill mix than my current 19-point US CA and BB commander builds, but does raise the question of rethinking the need for such a captain at all, or whether my current Des Moines/Salem or Montana/prem US BB captain is sufficient.The Captain is currently Alaska-only, but could get dual duty on Baltimore or Buffalo. Would leave enough to generate a 10-pointer elsewhere.

3. Take Ovechkin on Vladivostok from 17 to 19 points. Vladivostok is among my T8 “go to” ships.

4. Fix the shambles that is my French CA command structure. The Henry IV captain (19 pts) is in retraining, the Saint Louis captain has 3 points (needed a snowflake captain), and the Martel captain is in retraining (10 pts). I didn’t play these much after getting to T10. I probably would enjoy the Martel again after the captain gets back on his feet. Haven’t played Henry IV much after it’s shoot and scoot ability was nerfed.

5. Similar but not so drastic backfill among RN BB captains.

6. Some splitting of the difference; e.g, 17 point on Alaska captain, fix the French cruiser line, etc.

In short, I’m hovering between doing the sexy but not necessarily useful things of topping up captains I am using vs. ones I might use, vs.the more mundane task of rectifying problems in captain lines for fleet flexibility.

Thoughts? Similar situations and what you did?

As you have 1.3M stacked already I'm guessing you have at least 1 19 pointer already so my 1st suggestion would be to immediately finish ALL retraining (prioritize the ships you run most often).

Most of your skills are going to waste on the untrained commanders...defeats the purpose of transferring them in the 1st place if they can't use the skills. A lower point commander w/operational skills trumps an untrained higher skill commander if 8 or 10 of the points are not active or nerfed.

Then...if there's any left...prioritize getting 19 points on the line that has the most premiums you can run 1st win bonuses on...or getting the next point on the commander you run most often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
246 posts
310 battles

Ever heard of compound interest?

19-point captains are like that.

Get as many of them as you can in one go.

Edited by KosmicRavioli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,479
[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles
28 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

 

No matter (I have both at 1 million or above) the same rule apply... Dont spend...

Don’t spend?

More like don’t read/don’t think.

‘Fraid I have to decline all three.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,786
[WORX]
Members
10,615 posts
18,506 battles
Just now, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Don’t spend?

More like don’t read/don’t think.

‘Fraid I have to decline all three.

 

Refer to post #8

Commander XP or Free XP no matter... Its the same suggestion... DOnt spend...

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[SOUS]
Members
52 posts

My advice is get Ovechkin to 19 points first as you like to play your vladivostok.

You'll earn more elite commander XP quickly with him at 19 points.

Then you can start putting larger chunks of commander Xp into those ships with 14 point captains etc.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
165 posts
6,168 battles

I think of it as a matter of what I'm doing next. I would focus on ships I'm interested in playing currently or in the near future and split the EXP between retraining (so I'm not handicapped) and maxing out some 19s (to increase the revenue stream).  I definitely wouldn't spend resources on ships I don't anticipate playing unless I'm having an explicable crave for completion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,691
[INTEL]
Members
13,047 posts
35,989 battles

Hoard it... soon you will have 6-7 million, like me. Then you dont have to worry about peeling off 2 million to make a captain from scratch, because you will have so many 19 pointers you will rapidly recover any spent elite commander XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
78
[KREW]
Members
146 posts
16,571 battles

Get as many to 19 points as you can, it won't be long at all and you will be wondering what to do with another 1.3 mil elite commander xp.
I promoted another commander to 19 (#50) on Friday leaving me with 0 ECXP, I am already back up to 300k.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,479
[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles
53 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

(-: I have over 8 mill stacked up myself :-)

Explanation why would take too long & derail thread so just gonna respond to OP now.

Actually it's not the same as ecxp can't be used on ships.

As you have 1.3M stacked already I'm guessing you have at least 1 19 pointer already so my 1st suggestion would be to immediately finish ALL retraining (prioritize the ships you run most often).

Most of your skills are going to waste on the untrained commanders...defeats the purpose of transferring them in the 1st place if they can't use the skills. A lower point commander w/operational skills trumps an untrained higher skill commander if 8 or 10 of the points are not active or nerfed.

Then...if there's any left...prioritize getting 19 points on the line that has the most premiums you can run 1st win bonuses on...or getting the next point on the commander you run most often.

Let’s see...5 US, 4 IJN, 2 German, 2 Russian, 2 British, 1Italian, 1French, so 17, and I’m certain over 30 premium ships they can rotate through. 
 

The “more 19-pointers resulting in more ECXP” adage is true only to the extent you’re playing the additional commanders you make; that’s why I have this pile of ECXP unspent - my rotation of played ships is small, and is pretty much limited to those with 19-point commanders already. If I sink my ECXP into more that I don’t play, it hasn’t really benefitted me. That’s why I’ve begun to think more in terms of fleet flexibility - shoring up commanders in some of my lesser-used midtier ships, to be ready to respond to events (ranked sprints, etc.) that pop up.
 
But, you don’t know far in advance what those events are.

So, I’m in this in-between-land where I’m not a completist, but where my next outlay may not provide immediate return.

I’ve got only one active grind right now, and that is Amalfi, with Sansonetti at 14 points. If I don’t use FXP orECP along the way, he’ll be at 17 points when I get to Venizia. And unless something changes, I’m not getting his grind into frequent rotation until I get into the T9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,479
[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles
42 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Refer to post #8

Commander XP or Free XP no matter... Its the same suggestion... DOnt spend...

You mean refer to the very post I quoted? Got it.

I guess I was taken aback, because your constant rule/suggestion of late has been power creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,786
[WORX]
Members
10,615 posts
18,506 battles
7 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

You mean refer to the very post I quoted? Got it.

I guess I was taken aback, because your constant rule/suggestion of late has been power creep.

DOnt know what that has to do with your original post question... But hey

GL/HF

Dont spend.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279
[--K--]
Supertester
1,217 posts
11,067 battles

For the ones I've turned into 19 with elite xp I typically wait until I move the capt into a t9 tech tree ship because I'll be in that ship for a while so it can generate that xp back. 

Specifically with what you have said I'd finish the Smolensk and Vlad. Then fix the retraining issues of French. Leave rest to build. 

I'm also sitting on 1.1 million elite xp. I could turn my Fletcher or Iowa from 16 pts to 19. Next closest is French commander at 17 pts but I'm only at the T6 and will need a different commander build for the t7-9. End goal is to have at least one 19 pt for each ship line. 

Currently have US heavy and light, German secondary build, Russian light cruiser, and UK dd at 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,341 posts
11,204 battles

Definitely bump up commanders to 19 points on ships you play a lot, then stockpile more and use credits+commander xp to retrain/respecialize captains for ships as you move them up the line. Even better if that commander has a few (or more) premiums he can swap to that you play on a regular/semi regular basis. Like others have said, 19 point commanders on ships you play a lot are compounding - the more you get, the faster you get more (I’ve gotten at least six of my nine in the last 16 months, with another ready to jump up to 19 once Sansonetti gets to Trento or Zara). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,628
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,737 posts
21,483 battles

You enjoy Vladivostok then get that captain to 19 pts and start building up the bank again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

1.3 million!!! I thought I was bad about spending my elite captains experience, I keep forgetting about it, but I am no where near that amount.

Lol I have over 1.6 million ECXP. Of course I now have 11 captains at 19 points and the majority of them serve on multiple ships which results in about 37 of my 109 ships in port being able to use 19 point captains and in turn helps with ECXP generation. Sharing captains between premiums as much as possible as well with key tech tree ships was my plan for maxing out ECXP production. Only certain ships like HSF Graf Spee and Gearing have their own captains that I are not shared but could be shared if other premiums compatible to their captain builds end up on my port. 

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×