Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Alevon

Ton o Coal!

19 comments in this topic

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
104 posts
14,425 battles

So, I am slowly accumulating some coal but I am curious what should I spend it on? A bright and shiny higher tiered ship OR bright eyed and bushy-tailed unique commander? No wrong answers, just curious what the community thinks...  

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,309 battles

Don't forget the special upgrade modules you can buy. These offer unique advantages for things like radar, smoke, damage control and other gimmicks. With a coupon, which is reissued periodically, you can pick one of these up for only 12'500 coal.

Given that many upgrades cost 3 million credits, and that unique upgrades for specific ships cost 19'500 RB points (about 3 years wages), this is quite a compelling bargain, IMO.

If you really like a particular ship, if you have purchased a permanent camo for it, maybe there is a special upgrade to make it even better, for a small amount of coal. 

Edited by SidTheBlade
  • Cool 2

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
104 posts
14,425 battles
16 minutes ago, Capn_Nugget said:

@Alevon what do you like to take out to battle? Class, example of favorite ships, etc. 

I like the battle cruisers or heavy CR. Although I tend to do slightly better with BBs. 

[DIEBL]
Members
662 posts
8,727 battles

Save it until you hit one of the two following situations...

1) something gets released for coam that makes you go “F-yeah, I want that!”

2) you stockpile more the 350-400k coal and WG hasnt inflated coal costs yet.

i prefer ships, though.

• Cool 2

Members
124 posts

If you don't have Thunderer yet, it is a great ship.   They removed the Smolensk and Jean Bart and said the reason was that there was too many of them.   I see a lot of Thunderers out there and I am guessing that it may get pulled at some point.  It is just a guess.   But If you think you may like that ship, now may be the time to get it.  

• Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
49 minutes ago, Alevon said:

So, I am slowly accumulating some coal but I am curious what should I spend it on? A bright and shiny higher tiered ship OR bright eyed and bushy-tailed unique commander? No wrong answers, just curious what the community thinks...  

I generally try to use up each resource coupon, less ships, each coupon cycle.  I only get ships that I think I would enjoy playing.  My port is lousy with ships and unemployed, free loading Captains.  :cap_like:

@PhosphorusForFun like this?

Coal.jpg.cc4d7239ad105214322ff38441970673.jpg

• Funny 2

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
104 posts
14,425 battles
12 minutes ago, jones_farragut_nimitz said:

If you don't have Thunderer yet, it is a great ship.   They removed the Smolensk and Jean Bart and said the reason was that there was too many of them.   I see a lot of Thunderers out there and I am guessing that it may get pulled at some point.  It is just a guess.   But If you think you may like that ship, now may be the time to get it.  

I was looking at the Thunderer, but I understand her armour is actually a bit weaker than her sister ship, Conqueror, no?  

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
104 posts
14,425 battles
2 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I generally try to use up each resource coupon, less ships, each coupon cycle.  I only get ships that I think I would enjoy playing.  My port is lousy with ships and unemployed, free loading Captains.  :cap_like:

Thanks for the opinion, LT! Can't stand free loading Captains!

Members
124 posts
2 hours ago, Alevon said:

I was looking at the Thunderer, but I understand her armour is actually a bit weaker than her sister ship, Conqueror, no?  

That is my understanding too.   If I am not careful In my Thunderer, I really pay for it.   It is definitely not a brawling BB.    But If you are angled well at mid to long range, Thunderer can be OK and do a lot of damage.   I find that both the AP and HE shells are great.   The guns reload fast - with main battery mod 3 upgrade I have my reload time at 22.9 seconds.   And since Thunderer has 18 inch guns and since it is the most accurate BB there is right now -  that is really something!

But Thunderer armor can be unforgiving if caught broadside.   I was in a coop game and a bot BB got a broadside hit on my Thunderer for 60k damage.  So all that offense is balanced with less protection.   

Oh, and the Conqueror has a better heal than Thunderer.   Thunderer has a good heal but it is not the super print-a-new-ship heal that the Conqueror has.

Edited by jones_farragut_nimitz
fixed a spelling error
  • Cool 1

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles

I blew my coal on the Georgia instead of the Thunderer. Only because I had a 14 point captain sitting in the barracks and no British ships. 

Certainly a weird ship though, it's dispersion ranges from laser guided accuracy one shot to omg the gunners are blind drunk the next.. It's armour is pretty squishy as well. 

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,522 posts
6,405 battles
24 minutes ago, Alevon said:

11 minutes ago, jones_farragut_nimitz said:

That is my understanding to.   If I am not careful In my Thunderer, I really pay for it.   It is definitely not a brawling BB.    But If you are angled well at mid to long range, Thunderer can be OK and do a lot of damage.   I find that both the AP and HE shells are great.   The guns reload fast - with main battery mod 3 upgrade I have my reload time at 22.9 seconds.   And since Thunderer has 18 inch guns and since it is the most accurate BB there is right now -  that is really something!

But Thunderer armor can be unforgiving if caught broadside.   I was in a coop game and a bot BB got a broadside hit on my Thunderer for 60k damage.  So all that offense is balanced with less protection.   

Thunderer and Conqueror have exactly the same armor.  Thunderer lacks Conqueror's superheal.  She does have an improved heal that heals a higher percentage of citadel damage, has an extra charge, has a faster cooldown than Conqueror and heals more than a standard BB heal, but you won't be printing a new hull like Conqueror.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
1 hour ago, Alevon said:

I bought a Smolensk and a Georgia with my coal.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
104 posts
14,425 battles
55 minutes ago, jones_farragut_nimitz said:

That is my understanding to.   If I am not careful In my Thunderer, I really pay for it.   It is definitely not a brawling BB.    But If you are angled well at mid to long range, Thunderer can be OK and do a lot of damage.   I find that both the AP and HE shells are great.   The guns reload fast - with main battery mod 3 upgrade I have my reload time at 22.9 seconds.   And since Thunderer has 18 inch guns and since it is the most accurate BB there is right now -  that is really something!

Oh, and the Conqueror has a better heal than Thunderer.   Thunderer has a good heal but it is not the super print-a-new-ship heal that the Conqueror has.

That's what I understood too! And it was well illustrated by LWM's review of her. 

[DAS]
Members
1,024 posts
10,400 battles

My personal preference is ships > captains > modules.

Also, if you get the ships that may drop in Christmas crates, you won't get "lucky" and pull them. Coal is easy to get, good ships in Christmas crates, not so much.

• Cool 1

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

The captains are a terrible value when ships aren't much more. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bi yearly 50% coupon for them at some point.

[WOLFG]
Members
1,137 posts

Wouldn't waste coal on a Captain.  Grossly overpriced.  Learned my lesson buying the Musashi.  I know it's a great ship, but I just don't like playing BBs.  Wait until a ship comes out that you think you will actually like playing.  

• Cool 2

[DIEBL]
Members
662 posts
8,727 battles
17 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Yeppers!  Was disappointed i didnt break a mere 400k last night:cap_old:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this