You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Well, That's About It For Me

28 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,244 posts

Got to Rank 3 and hit a wall of bad teams so that's about it for me. Nothing much left in the way of rewards that is worth it anyway.

Meesa Ranked Player!

29-Star-Wars-Jar-Jar-Binks.jpg

image.thumb.png.5b65321ef2638225b06924f0f56437ab.png

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 3

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles

Congratulations on Rank 3, at least.

I got to Rank 7, fell back to 8, and stopped worrying about it. Saved a star consecutively for a handful of games, but I can’t carry people who suicide charge and team kill. 

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

I made it to  Rank 4 with 1 star .   I will try later tonight  for  Rank 3 but that's it for me.  

Seems the higher I get the more lazy some players seem. Sitting in back waiting for the Carry.  Just not worth it to see them getting ahead on the backs of the others.

15K Coal would be nice but just isn't worth the frustration.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,498 battles

I don’t know if it was the mixed tiers or 12v12, but this was the worst Ranked experience for me, ever.  No doubt WG spreadsheets say, do this again and again, comrade.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,244 posts
4 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Seems the higher I get the more lazy some players seem.

When you get to Rank 3 and then notice that half the ships on your team are neither flying signals nor even adorned with camo, you tend to wonder how invested they actually are in a win. 

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Got to Rank 3 and hit a wall of bad teams so that's about it for me. Nothing much left in the way of rewards that is worth it anyway.

Meesa Ranked Player!

While I understand the frustration, i found it helped to imagine i was in randoms while playing this season’s sprint. If you choose to play tier 10 i think the rewards are greater than in randoms and the floor makes sure you dont drop too much anyway.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,293 battles

I hit a savage wall at tier 4, and spent probably 20 games going up and down like a yo yo. Then I got lucky and breezed through the last few tiers in very few games. 

Winning a star helps, or it did for me, at the perfect time.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Stick with it snarg. I was content to churn up and down between 6 and 8 for several days. Then I had a streak of wins to 4. Fell back to 5. Made it to 1 next day.

You know all this but for other readers...

Pick a ship you can consistently pull top 3 on leader boards. Sometimes you'll save a star but that's not the goal. The goal is to win. Some times you will have to carry and other times you will get carried.  If you are always trying to put consistent damage downrange while staying alive you are doing everything you can to contribute toward the win. 

Edit: damage is important but kills are more important. Damage can be healed, especially in this type of ranked. However,  Dead ships give you points and they can't sink your teammates.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I feel you, got into a wall at rank 5, and after several matches I decided that my Roon (which I’m grinding) wouldn’t take me any further, so I switched to Des Moines, which took me to almost (one star) to ranking out but my team then decided that everyone should hide behind a single island. :Smile_facepalm:

Still at rank 2.

Edited by CO_Valle
Rank 2

[G-O-W]
Members
1,097 posts
3,203 battles

Ranked is hell annoying. I used to have a comical 15% win rate. Recently I had a good winning streak of about 5 games then the MM gods noticed and I went about 10 lower straight.. Ah well. So dependent on your teammates to do the right thing in a free online game..

Edited by LunchCutter

[BEA5T]
Members
5,286 posts
23,974 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Meesa Ranked Player!

Well done !  I didn't even try to play that mess..........  As you said, there is no real value for me to invest my time !  Heck, we're back to shooting outdoors again and there's real money and world class skills out there to win and to encounter........  Took a first and a second today (a TR hunting match and steel targets for weapons with pre 1919 cartridges......lead only..........bolt, single shot or lever (no glass sights - steel animal targets....)  That or being frustrated with a videogame..........hmmmmmm.......not a hard choice !  Heck, we even had a 405 Winchester 1895 out there today !  Talk about a six pack of kickbutt........we use that cartridge to back up guiding buffalo hunts !!! 

You have the patience of a saint..............well done !

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,967 battles

I've gone back and forth from rank 3 to rank 5 for a couple of days. I quit today because OMG POTATOES!

[SOFOP]
Members
2,482 posts
15,326 battles

I find doing it in force the first few days the best.  Yes you'll run into bad teammates AMD unicums on the other side, but it always seems the longer you wait the worse it gets.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,244 posts
38 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Took a first and a second today (a TR hunting match and steel targets for weapons with pre 1919 cartridges......lead only..........bolt, single shot or lever (no glass sights - steel animal targets....) 

It's been too windy here to think about shooting -- like 35 mph! Sometime I need to sweat a higher front sight on my 2nd Model Dragoon replica and take it out for a spin though. I think they originally sighted those things for 100 yards, which might have been OK for a 19th-Century military sidearm, but I'd rather target shoot a bit closer nowadays. :Smile_veryhappy:

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
422 posts
13,549 battles

There is no team coordination as in 7v7 or 5v5 prior ranked sessions.  The 1v1 was a blast. 

This is just more random terrible matches.  12 v 12 should not happen in ranked. 

Lastly, as said above, I don't know if people don't care, or just are bad players, but I see large groups of ships hiding behind islands for a majority of the game. Ranked always had smaller teams that proposed a plan early and usually stuck with it.  

[BEA5T]
Members
5,286 posts
23,974 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It's been too windy here to think about shooting -- like 35 mph! Sometime I need to sweat a higher front sight on my 2nd Model Dragoon replica and take it out for a spin though. I think they originally sighted those things for 100 yards, which might have been OK for a 19th-Century military sidearm, but I'd rather target shoot a bit closer nowadays. :Smile_veryhappy:

Dragoons are a hand full !!!  Haven't seen one in many years.  1858's seem to be the most popular and mine is a tack driver....  

I am not a real fan of these ranked matches either.  I think the weather this next week is gonna be wet and cold so, I'll get in a few COOP a day.  I'm going to have to find a Clan cause the crew left two weeks ago...... 

[V_V_V]
Members
1,068 posts
17,690 battles

Well whaddaya know...112 battles/46% WR.

shot-20.05.09_21.39.20-0184.jpg

shot-20.05.09_21.38.50-0414.jpg

Edited by Charon2018
Add text

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles

While I made it to rank 1 it was an unenjoyable chore. Team after team with afk players, teams charging into caps to die within the first few minutes of the match, people not running flags or camos, repairing one fire and then obviously burning to death shortly thereafter, yeah every match felt like this. 

Just keep trying and you'll get on a roll and don't stop. As a side note I gave up on battleships and started playing cruisers due to the better detection and speed which allowed me to disengage and move to another section on the map that required assistance. Almost like running a fire truck around a city putting out fires. Seemed to help me rank out with 8 wins in a row although you couldn't tell from my terrible win rate. 

Regardless, good luck. 

You'll get it Buddy!! Someday It's Nice up here - keep trying ...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,244 posts
10 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

I have a question for the people here; why do you play ranked?

Is it for the rewards or for the sense of accomplishment?

Well, in regular Ranked, since I always stop at rank 10, the first game nets me a load of goodies and it only takes me a few games to get back to rank 10 and get the two-star econ flag. Therefore, Ranked is pretty-much an economical venture for me.

Conversely, Ranked Sprint I play for fun as the rewards are only moderate but there is usually enough difference between it and Randoms to warrant checking it out. I generally get to rank 1 but this weekend I seem to have hit a wall at rank 3. I like the mode but not the large teams this season. One of the things I like most about Ranked and, usually, Sprint are the smaller teams.

Members
169 posts
16,653 battles

Got to ranked 1 today. Smolensk for the early tiers, and Kremlin to close it out.

The Beast from the East!