You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pepperct

Halsey

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
89 posts
8,672 battles

After what seemed like a long campaign, I finally earned Commander Halsey from the “Hit em Hard Campaign”. He was always on my to get list but I never seemed close to getting him. During that time I was able to obtain Ovechkin, Doe, and Da Rong. So my question to everyone is does Halsey play better in a certain  type of ship then another? I don’t really stick with one type of ship during my playing time. I usually play a ship until I get that first win bonus then move to another favorite ship. For DDs I play the Gearing and Fletcher, for cruisers I play the Worcester and DM, which has Doe as the capt. For BBs I play the Mass mostly but sometimes I’ll go to a lower level for a break. All the commanders are 19 point. I have the 4 US CVs but don’t play them that much. I see that all these unique commanders have a little bit for every ship. What are your favorite ships to use Halsey in and why?    Thanks and stay safe.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

His most useful skill is Master Marksman, which is best used on a Battleship, but can be handy on certain cruisers like Alaska.

If you are the type of person who uses Expert Loader, then Rapid Loader is very useful. I personally don't like Expert Loader though, so I never used it. The main issue is having to have the guns all loaded already. I prefer to fire whatever I already have loaded and then worry about changing shell type.

The special skills are useful if you can proc them, but I wouldn't bother deciding which ship to put him on because of them. One requires confederate, if you're hitting 6 enemy ships for 20% health you're probably close to the end of the battle anyway, the other 'only' needs a double strike, but it gives a 10% reduction in concealment.

I have my Halsey in my Georgia, with a hybrid Secondary/Survival build.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,728 posts
11,243 battles

When assigning legendary commanders like Halsey, I typically focus on maximizing their enhanced skills, which are always active, and consider their unique talents second. Halsey's enhanced Expert Marksman and Expert Loader skills are most useful on battleships and heavy cruisers. EM is pretty self explanatory, and I run Expert Loader on most of my CAs. EL takes some practice to use effectively, but the ability to quickly switch to AP when a target gives you broadside is invaluable. The enhanced version found of Halsey and the Doe brothers (-75% reload time vs. -50%) is also useful on battleships, allowing you to more quickly reach for HE to react to an unexpected destroyer or an angled battleship. I personally run Halsey on my American battleships and Alaska. Being able to switch between 16" HE and AP in 7 seconds is very powerful, and Alaska can swap ammo types in less than 5 seconds. I also have an easier time activating his "Hit Hard!" talent in these ships.

My build: PT, EM, SI, FP, CE, AR, EL, and JoaT.

Edited by Nevermore135

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,189 battles

I have him on US Battle ship Montana and use him on most of the premium US BBs, he works superbly on Boise in Operation Narai and on some other premium US cruisers, Indianapolis for example.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF6]
Members
89 posts
8,672 battles

I also have Alaska and as of yet have a hard time aiming the guns. I like the idea of specking him in my Mass and Alaska since they are premium And are interchangeable. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
19,916 battles

I have Halsey on Montana and use him on Missouri as well.

I use George Doe on Alaska.  He has the same enhanced EL and EM skills without the Halsey talents.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,728 posts
11,243 battles
38 minutes ago, pepperct said:

I also have Alaska and as of yet have a hard time aiming the guns. I like the idea of specking him in my Mass and Alaska since they are premium And are interchangeable. 

Massachusetts is an outlier among American battleships in that she really benefits from some kind of secondary build. You can run her with a more standard BB captain that fits the tech-tree ships more effectively, but playing Massachusetts without a secondary build is a bit of a waste. With her gunnery you're better off playing Alabama or North Carolina at tier 8 otherwise.

Alaska can effectively run either a CA or BB build, but IMO she really benefits from some degree of survivability investment since she burns for 60 seconds (like all "large cruisers") and she's a massive target that attracts HE spam. Her super-heavy 12" AP with its improved auto-bounce angles does terrible things to cruisers, though, and she can chunk BBs if they give her too much side. Stick with her, she's well worth it.

[PVE]
Members
13,902 posts
29,330 battles
2 hours ago, pepperct said:

After what seemed like a long campaign, I finally earned Commander Halsey from the “Hit em Hard Campaign”. He was always on my to get list but I never seemed close to getting him. During that time I was able to obtain Ovechkin, Doe, and Da Rong. So my question to everyone is does Halsey play better in a certain  type of ship then another? I don’t really stick with one type of ship during my playing time. I usually play a ship until I get that first win bonus then move to another favorite ship. For DDs I play the Gearing and Fletcher, for cruisers I play the Worcester and DM, which has Doe as the capt. For BBs I play the Mass mostly but sometimes I’ll go to a lower level for a break. All the commanders are 19 point. I have the 4 US CVs but don’t play them that much. I see that all these unique commanders have a little bit for every ship. What are your favorite ships to use Halsey in and why?    Thanks and stay safe.

I assigned him to Buffalo as his EM/EL enhanced skills work really well on the ship. I use him for Alaska, Alaska B, Puerto Rico, and Indianapolis too.