Sign in to follow this  
Klaatu_Nicto

Puget Sound Area Air Force Fly Over

16 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles

I'm a few blocks away from one of those facilities. I'll try to take some pictures when they fly over. 

The 62nd Airlift Wing is taking flight to honor frontline workers at 30 hospitals and medical facilities in the Puget Sound area Friday afternoon. Departing from Joint Base Lewis-McChord at 12:30 p.m. May 8, the flyover salute will feature the Air Force’s C-17 Globemaster III two-ship formation flown by the West Coast Demo Team.

Flyover salute location, arrival times:

Madigan Army Medical Center, JBLM – 12:30 p.m.

Providence St. Peter, Olympia – 12:35 p.m.

Washington Capital Building, Olympia – 12:35 p.m.

Capital Medical Center – 12:36 p.m.

Summit Pacific, Elma – 12:42 p.m.

Mason General, Shelton – 12:47 p.m.

St. Anthony, Gig Harbor – 12:56 p.m.

Harrison Medical Center, Bremerton – 1 p.m.

Naval Hospital, Bremerton – 1:01 p.m.

Jefferson Medical Center, Port Townsend – 1:11 p.m.

Whidbey Health Center, Coupeville – 1:13 p.m.

Cascade Valley Hospital, Arlington – 1:22 p.m.

UW Medical Center, North Seattle – 1:32 p.m.

Swedish Medical Center, Ballard – 1:33 p.m.

Space Needle, Seattle – 1:37 p.m.

UW Husky Stadium, Seattle – 1:38 p.m.

Seattle Children’s Hospital, East Seattle – 1:38 p.m.

Swedish, Redmond – 1:41 p.m.

Overlake Medical Center, Bellevue – 1:43 p.m.

Swedish, Cherry Hill – 1:45 p.m.

Swedish, First Campus – 1:45 p.m.

Virginia Mason Hospital, Seattle – 1:46 p.m.

Swedish, Issaquah – 1:50 p.m.

Multicare, Covington – 1:55 p.m.

Multicare, Auburn – 1:57 p.m.

St. Francis Hospital, Federal Way – 1:58 p.m.

Multicare/Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital, Tacoma – 2 p.m.

Multicare Allenmore, Tacoma – 2:01 p.m.

Multicare Good Samaritan, Puyallup – 2:04 p.m.

Washington State Soldiers Home, Orting – 2:07 p.m.

Madigan Army Medical Center, JBLM – 2:44 p.m.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,566 posts
11,670 battles

Here in KC we had a B2 do the flyover.  My son had never seen one in the air before and was pretty geeked.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,236 posts
43 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I'll try to take some pictures when they fly over. 

If they are training anyway, might as well make it a fun event for people. However, you do realize that they are practicing identification and targeting of key buildings as they do this, don't you?

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If they are training anyway, might as well make it a fun event for people. However, you do realize that they are practicing identification and targeting of key buildings as they do this, don't you?

:Smile_ohmy:

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles

Back in the 2000s it was announced the night before that President Bush would be visiting Joint Base Lewis-McCord and would fly in about the time my business closes. My business was located just a few miles from the joint base so I stood outside hoping to see Air Force One fly over but it never came by so I went home very disappointed. Not long after getting home I hear the sound of helicopters and can tell they are military so, like I always do when I hear them coming, I go outside to watch.

Coming over the tops of the trees at an unusually low level I see two Chinooks with two single rotor choppers, painted dark on the bottom and white on top, between them. They were well less than 500 feet overhead when they flew directly over my house and that is when I realized what I was seeing, Marine One.  That was so much cooler than seeing Air Force One at a couple thousand feet.

After they went out of sight I went in and turned on my TV. The local news was covering the president's arrival and they mentioned that because the runway at McChord had some construction work in progress Air Force One had landed at Boeing Field so the president would arrive at the joint base by helicopter.

I was surprised at how low they were flying. They made an easy and big target for anyone with a rifle. Do they add some armor to those presidential choppers?

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,236 posts
1 hour ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I realized what I was seeing, Marine One.  That was so much cooler than seeing Air Force One at a couple thousand feet.

That's neat, I've been around a lot of Army helicopters but I've never seen Marine One in person.

The Marine One helicopters are armored and also have anti-missile defenses.

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles

They flew in a different direction than I was anticipating so this is the only shot I got. :Smile_sad:

All I had time to do to get that shot was point the camera in that direction, click the button and hope the planes were in the frame.

Spoiler

image.png.135d3777b671db1fea2860740ee8a1c6.png

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles

I used to go up to Boeing field on Thursdays and Fridays when they would do their practices over Lake Washington. My favorite spot was parking along the road next to the chain link fence across from the museum in the general area this video was taken.  Me and Seattle don't get along so I have not been up that way for a while.

One year I thought Angel #6 was going to kill me. That year they were taking off in the opposite direction from the video and the last two planes that took off did so separately.  In front of the museum #6 does not liftoff but instead just raised his wheels, then gains a little altitude, flips the plane sideways, makes a 90 degree left turn then, as he levels the plane, drops in altitude. I'm 6'2" and #6 is, I kid you not, flying straight at my head and he keeps coming. Just as a quick thought crossed my mind that something had gone wrong with the plane and I was about to die, the nose lifts and plane clears the fence by just a few feet. On the other side of the road are power lines and now he has to point that nose up more which caused the jet blast to hit me and others in the area. He barely cleared those power lines. After he flew out of site I looked around and everyone, including myself, had their mouth wide open in shock.  Other than that brief moment I thought I was about to die it was a great experience.  

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,236 posts
37 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

Me and Seattle don't get along so I have not been up that way for a while.

Yeah, I've been through Seattle dozens of times but I never much had the desire to stop there. I don't like cities. I taught at a college outside Portland for ten years but actually only went into that city maybe a half dozen times, other than when I was driving through it to get to the coast or riding the train to and from the airport. I guess that for a city Portland isn't too bad but it's, well, a city too. I will have to admit though that the train system is nice there. I rode it up to the airport three or four times a year when I needed to fly back to the Midwest for holidays or meetings. There was a stop about a half mile from where I lived so I'd just walk up, pay a couple of bucks, and ride the train -- no muss, fuss, or parking fees.

My family has a long history with Boeing. Grandma built bombers at Boeing Wichita during WWII and two of her sons also worked there. My cousin worked at the plant until it shut down but usually was overseas as he was on a team that Boeing sent to repair crashed planes. His team converted the aerial tankers for the Italian and Japanese air forces.

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles
38 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, I've been through Seattle dozens of times but I never much had the desire to stop there. I don't like cities. I taught at a college outside Portland for ten years but actually only went into that city maybe a half dozen times, other than when I was driving through it to get to the coast or riding the train to and from the airport. I guess that for a city Portland isn't too bad but it's, well, a city too. I will have to admit though that the train system is nice there. I rode it up to the airport three or four times a year when I needed to fly back to the Midwest for holidays or meetings. There was a stop about a half mile from where I lived so I'd just walk up, pay a couple of bucks, and ride the train -- no muss, fuss, or parking fees.

My family has a long history with Boeing. Grandma built bombers at Boeing Wichita during WWII and two of her sons also worked there. My cousin worked at the plant until it shut down but usually was overseas as he was on a team that Boeing sent to repair crashed planes. His team converted the aerial tankers for the Italian and Japanese air forces.

South King county is the conservative part of the county. In the 1980s there was a county bond issue on the ballot for money to build Seattle a new opera house but it failed. In a newspaper one of Seattle's elites complained it failed because of South King County's uncouth residents. No. It was because us uncouth folks thought Seattle's citizens should pay for their new opera house. 

Kent is in South King County.

Hmm. Don't know why that pic is here and I can't delete it.

image.png

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles

Seattle Keeping 20 Miles of Streets Closed for Good
Mayor says coronavirus measure will remain permanent
https://www.newser.com/story/290631/city-shut-down-roads-for-the-virus-its-keeping-it-that-way.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_world_img_b

To whom is this street closed?
The entitlement is real. Us white people don’t have a monopoly on this way of thinking, but, collectively, we are the absolute worst.
https://www.westsideseattle.com/ballard-news-tribune/2020/05/09/whom-street-closed

They should rename Seattle 'Wokeville.'

Or, they could rename Seattle 'Leningrad.'

Near the Lenin statue is the University of Washington.

The University of Washington’s student senate rejected a memorial for alumnus Gregory “Pappy” Boyington of “Black Sheep Squadron” fame amid concerns a military hero who shot down enemy planes was not the right kind of person to represent the school. Student senator Jill Edwards, according to minutes of the student government’s meeting last week, said she “didn’t believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce.” Ashley Miller, another senator, argued “many monuments at UW already commemorate rich white men.” 

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/washington_students_say_pappy_boyington_no_hero/

Seattle is so environmentally woke that after a snowstorm turned the streets icy they did not deice the streets because they did not want to pollute the Pacific Ocean with salt. Seattle is built on a hillside so that policy led to a near tragedy for two busloads of young people. .

You don't want to be driving in Seattle when it snows.

Elsewhere in Seattle.

Extreme wokeness, a statue of a mass murderer, icy roads and this......

The city that shuns plastic and welcomes drug addicts. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,236 posts
3 hours ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

Extreme wokeness

There was a job opening in the biology department at Evergreen State in Olympia that I thought about applying for once. After seeing all the crap that went down there in the name of "wokeness" I was glad that I never did. Sites that review colleges now describe it as an overpriced school for a below average education.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,965 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There was a job opening in the biology department at Evergreen State in Olympia that I thought about applying for once. After seeing all the crap that went down there in the name of "wokeness" I was glad that I never did. Sites that review colleges now describe it as an overpriced school for a below average education.

Evergreen State sees 'catastrophic' drop in enrollment after social justice meltdown
Fear and self-censorship is pervasive among Evergreen faculty
https://www.foxnews.com/us/evergreen-state-sees-catastrophic-drop-in-enrollment-after-social-justice-meltdown

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,236 posts
4 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

That's what you get when your test pilot is called "Tex." If it can be barrel rolled then it will be barrel rolled. 

Sign in to follow this