You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

CV Help Request

15 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,141 posts
6,396 battles

BEFORE You all go on about how CVs are broken and AA is terrible and the usual stuff, hear me out.

I've finally, finally, decided to start playing CV seriously. I normally play surface warships, so I decided to try something new and actually grind out a CV line. I started on the USN and RN CVs, but I gave up on both of them because they were infuriating. However, I decided to pick up the Japanese CVs, and boy, it was actually fun. Powerful torps and hard-hitting AP bombs are pleasant to use, along with the extremely effective and accurate rocket attack aircraft. However, I still find myself struggling to do consistent damage numbers with the carriers ( I'm still at the Hosho, go figure ). 

Could someone give me pointers on how to improve my CV playing skills? Not like specifics, because I have a general grasp of how they work, but in general.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

:SerB:

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 3

Members
11 posts
6,228 battles

-Following, Same here. decided to try something new. at T6 on USN and JAP T6, I get some games i can get 50k dmg and others 20k. I try my best to spot DDs and provide AA support and I play CV like how I would want a CV player to play if I was playing a surface ship.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,956 battles

Learn to attack while turning, particularly with dive bombers.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Good for you. Seriously. I think playing carriers casually helps you understand them better and fear them less.

I'm not awesome with carriers but I'd suggest other similarly challenged cv-noobs memorize want ships have AA that can vaporize your planes and which can't. Then I'd try to build a personal target prioritization list. I'm a mess when it comes to carrier captain skills but hopefully someone else can square you away.

• Cool 3

Members
2,681 posts
4,301 battles

Aces in their places:  Rockets for DD's,  AP bombs for cruisers and battleships,  torpedoes for battleships and sluggish cruisers or stationary targets.  Try to aim for DD's early on but if its knows how to deal with you or has heavy AA,  pick a better target.   The IJN CV's are more about direct damage as opposed to damage over time so prepare for some feast or famine with your damage numbers.  Make sure you get your ship moving early on in the match,  find some cover near your frontline forces.  This gives you reinforcements faster if you get jumped and lets you get your planes to the action faster.

I'll let the masters give you more in depth advice.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,956 battles
43 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Good for you. Seriously. I think playing carriers casually helps you understand them better and fear them less.

I'm not awesome with carriers but I'd suggest other similarly challenged cv-noobs memorize want ships have AA that can vaporize your planes and which can't. Then I'd try to build a personal target prioritization list. I'm a mess when it comes to carrier captain skills but hopefully someone else can square you away.

Agreed, most people who complain about DDs are those who don't play them.

Edited by Tyberius_D
  • Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,431 posts
12,830 battles

Don't expect much from the T4s. They really don't do much damage. 

1. Check the ship list at the beginning of the and figure out what you want to target and what is dangerous to you. Obviously avoid known high AA ships.  IJN ships of almost any type are always good targets. They combine poor AA with long, easy to hit hulls. German BBs are also a favorite for any CV with AP bombs. IJN CVs prefer attacking BBs, and (except Kaga) are poor at dealing with DDs. That being said you should still  rocket them when you can, at minimum fly some planes over them and keep them spotted for your team to shoot at. 

2. Get used to pre-dropping, especially early in the game. If you are not sure you will need ALL of the planes in the airgroup drop in a safe place to send some of them back to safety. This is particularly important early in the game when you are scouting. You won't know where the AA ships or the AA clusters are until you fly into them so send some back rather than risk losing all of them if you fly over an Atlanta or something. That is also important if you have to attack a high AA ship. You usually lose more planes flying out of an AA aura than you do flying in. If the AA is dense, send some back so there are few if any left to die to AA after you make your drop. 

3. For dive bombing aim, as a safe guesstimator, start the dive about when the top of your reticle reaches the bow of the target ship (assuming it is coming at you). Release the bombs about when the center of the reticule is at or just past the bow. For AP bombs you want the bombs to carry a bit and land behind the turrets about on the superstructure or on the funnels. For HE bombs it doesn't matter much, anywhere on the ship will do. If you ever get GZ ignore all of this for it's AP bombers. 

4. When you get to T6 and have fighters drop them whenever you can to help your DDs in particular. They'll appreciate it. Also remember they can spot for you. You can also drop them on or near weak AA ships to keep them visible. Don't do this near high AA ships as they will just shred them with no effort. 

• Cool 1

[-ICE-]
Members
567 posts

I fool around with a Furious. I feel like the planes are weak. One or 2 passes and they are all shot down. The other thing is I spot for everyone but the team really dont care to protect the carrier or maybe they dont protect me either way I dont count on the team for protection. As a regular ship capt I always watch out for the carrier on my team even though i dont like them on the oposite team, usually if ur carrier gets taken out u will lose.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Biggest tip I can tell you is drop some of your squadron in the water.

If you don't know what I mean by this, basically after you launch your planes, drop some of your ammunition in the water.   The reason you do this is because when AA starts lighting your planes up, you are 100% going to lose some planes.  There is no avoiding it.  So instead of their AA destroying your planes right off the bat, send some back to your carrier so they don't die (and you do this by doing an attack run in open water, away from friendlies).   To be real, you are going to only be able to launch 1 or 2 strafe's on the enemies before you have to press F to return back to your carrier and select another plane type.  So instead of doing those attack runs and losing the other planes, why not just do those attack runs without losing planes.  

Another tip I can give you is don't use all of your engine boost to go faster to reach them enemy.   Use the boost when you get near the enemies so you can take the least amount of AA damage.   Also, avoid the flak bubbles.  It is tricky to avoid but if you avoid them, you take SIGNIFICANTLY less damage and is a matter of 1 or 2 more strafes.  

Lastly, when you are engaging the run, trying to move less as possible.  The more adjustments you make, the more the aim bloom goes bigger leading to inaccurate strikes.   For example, AP bombers; line it up just perfectly to the ship so you don't need to adjust.   If you adjust with AP bombers (pressing A or D to go side to side), the aiming bloom will get too large and the bombs will probably miss and go into the water

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,224 posts
7 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

BEFORE You all go on about how CVs are broken and AA is terrible and the usual stuff, hear me out.

I've finally, finally, decided to start playing CV seriously. I normally play surface warships, so I decided to try something new and actually grind out a CV line. I started on the USN and RN CVs, but I gave up on both of them because they were infuriating. However, I decided to pick up the Japanese CVs, and boy, it was actually fun. Powerful torps and hard-hitting AP bombs are pleasant to use, along with the extremely effective and accurate rocket attack aircraft. However, I still find myself struggling to do consistent damage numbers with the carriers ( I'm still at the Hosho, go figure ). 

Could someone give me pointers on how to improve my CV playing skills? Not like specifics, because I have a general grasp of how they work, but in general.

Dont worry about damage.  Chances are you will nevee put up god teir number like people think they can.

You will never carry a game. I did get 1 solo worrier once.

Instead pick your targets.  Get them to turn s

Broadside to other ship then watch in chat how they say you took 20k off and you never fired at them;)

Planes are all about oportubity and keeping uour cv close to rhe action. IJN is easiest because of its stealth.

I prefer the US like because the ijn is feast or famine the British.... Well I got to the t10 and never played it!

Also take the time to look around.  You would be suprised how detailed everything is.  Town have traffic jams!

[CNO]
Members
6,600 posts
19,848 battles
15 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Three pointers:

1. DPM.

2. DPM.

3. DPM.

Damage per minute.  Well, actually that's probably more for T6 and up.  But it's good to start thinking about it in the beginning.  As long as you are not so close that you get easily targeted by surface fire, if you can establish a shorter sortie path to targets than your opposing CV, that is where a lot of strategy exists.  For example, on standard, if a team sets up a decent defend position while the enemy advances, you can sometimes double or triple the sortie rate over opposing CVs.  This add up over time.   The attrition game.

Seeing this from a CV perspective will pay dividends when you are running other ships.  Many players don't realize that HOW they play their DD, CA, or BB can have an impact on what their friendly CV can do.  Play/position to give your friendly CV a DPM advantage...and you can go a long way to helping secure a victory.

The other thing, for all CV tiers, is spotting.  Don't forget to use your range rings around your aircraft (and the detect icon) to locate enemy DDs.  Learn to do this on every sortie, even when not DD hunting.  Sometimes, you'll catch one you didn't know.

If your CV is ever spotted, particularly by an unknown enemy, immediately check the range ring around your CV and make a mental note of the likely enemy position (you can often tell within a few blocks if your team has the opposite flank covered).  If this position is a threat to your CV, run the other way and send aircraft on a sweep to those block, refining the location using your aircraft's range rings.

Make sure you have last-spotted turned on in your minimap.  By the second or third sortie, if all enemy DDs have not been spotted, look at the minimap and determine where there is at pen points for a DD on a CV hunt.  Send a fighter sweep to the pen points,  using range rings to detect the DD.  

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[ARGSY]
Members
24,498 posts
18,502 battles
16 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Could someone give me pointers on how to improve my CV playing skills?

Start here: 

Then have a look at all the rest of his stuff as it may apply to you.

This guy is pretty much the god of post-rework CV content. 

• Cool 2

[CLUMP]
Members
1,910 posts
2,412 battles

One word of advice is that tier 4 teaches you bad habits and on tier 6 where you really start learning how to play CVs :fish_book: Tier  4 you learn basic stuff about CVs :fish_sleep:

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
On 5/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

CV damage doesn't get respectable until Tier 8.    Below that, if you do 50k damage, you had a "great" game.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,389 posts
On 5/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

watch Toptier's videos

• Cool 1