Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brohk

Biggest turn-off for a returning player

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

702
[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,210 battles

Is it the aircraft carrier rework? Nah, I think there are a lot of issues between CV/surface ship interactions, but generally I haven't been overly bothered by the class or rework.

Russian bias? Nah.

Power creep? Frustrating at times, but I can deal with it.

So why am I having such a hard time returning to the game? 

It's all the bloody damned currencies.

I've got credits, doubloons, free XP, coal, steel, and now... research points. Not to mention all the farfignickles, googleheims, and dollary-doo's that appear during the early access events. Maybe it's just the inveterate collector in me, but just looking at the long list of resources I need to collect, not to mention how to collect some of them, is enough to keep me from playing. Does anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me? I mean, does every major addition to the game have to carry some additional currency that can only be earned by playing Pan-Asian Destroyers while balancing a book on your head, reciting the alphabet backwards... and only during the vernal equinox? How many nautilus shells will I need to collect to unlock submarines? How much whale dung will I need to collect to unlock the Captain Marko Ramius lookalike?

Just... ugh. :cap_fainting:

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 7
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,288
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,365 posts

its not too bad, the fact that all currencies cannot be earned just by playing the game (perhaps with the exception of dubs) is a bit of a downer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,793
[SOFOP]
Members
2,486 posts
15,380 battles

You collect credits and free XP by just playing the game.  You get doubloons by using a credit card (for the most part).  Coal and steel come from crates and completing tasks.  For a MMO, this really isn't bad.

The other currencies are event specific and while yes, if you line every single one up in a list going back to when they started that method, there are a lot - most of them are gone and won't come back.  They just use different names so that you can't horde them from one event to the other.

If you look at any game after a couple months or a year off, the amount of things to do is going to be a bit overwhelming if you list them all out.  WoWs has had some major changes, yes, but the currencies isn't really something you'll spend much time catching up on.  In fact, at the moment, there is no event specific collectable currency.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
443 posts
451 battles

I hear ya, brother, but once you drink the Kool-Aide it all starts to make sense.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,275
[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,876 posts
27,161 battles
31 minutes ago, Brohk said:

farfignickles, googleheims, and dollary-doo's

Haha awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,534
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,589 posts
17,781 battles

LOL yeah I hear you. Jumped back in to WOT and the crazy amount of missions going on makes me dizzy. I am sure it will become more clear as my understanding improves. 

Same for WOWS give it some time and it will start to make sense.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,116
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,136 posts
4,342 battles

Yeah, the event currencies are a bit ridiculous. It’s been better lately though, there were a few event where there was inter conversion, which was confusing.

The rest is fine though. The XP, EXP, CXP, ECXP, and FXP thing is a lot for new players, but it makes sense once you get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,288
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,365 posts

be nice to get steel for medals or something, they do reward it's equivalent in WoT that way.. and for Tier10 play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384
[V_V_V]
Members
1,074 posts
17,733 battles
44 minutes ago, Brohk said:

How much whale dung will I need to collect to unlock the Captain Marko Ramius lookalike?

One ping only please.

Edited by Charon2018
Add text
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,488
[O_O]
Members
7,041 posts
17,391 battles
47 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Not to mention all the farfignickles, googleheims, and dollary-doo's

I just spit expensive bourbon all over my expensive keyboard and cheap monitor.  +1.  I'd give you a +5, but that option isn't available to me...yet.  *Ring, ring*  "Hello, Mr. Putin?  I need a favor..."  :Smile_veryhappy:

Oh, and you forgot "recruitment points".

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,441 posts
14,072 battles

The bottom line is the perception .. people can attack the OP all they want, but this is how he feels about the game. Why is it so hard for others to accept that people feel that CV are OP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,204
[TDRB]
Members
5,320 posts
13,743 battles
36 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Is it the aircraft carrier rework? Nah, I think there are a lot of issues between CV/surface ship interactions, but generally I haven't been overly bothered by the class or rework.

Russian bias? Nah.

Power creep? Frustrating at times, but I can deal with it.

So why am I having such a hard time returning to the game? 

It's all the bloody damned currencies.

I've got credits, doubloons, free XP, coal, steel, and now... research points. Not to mention all the farfignickles, googleheims, and dollary-doo's that appear during the early access events. Maybe it's just the inveterate collector in me, but just looking at the long list of resources I need to collect, not to mention how to collect some of them, is enough to keep me from playing. Does anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me? I mean, does every major addition to the game have to carry some additional currency that can only be earned by playing Pan-Asian Destroyers while balancing a book on your head, reciting the alphabet backwards... and only during the vernal equinox? How many nautilus shells will I need to collect to unlock submarines? How much whale dung will I need to collect to unlock the Captain Marko Ramius lookalike?

Just... ugh. :cap_fainting:

1) CV's/subs, no comment for the good of this thread

2) Russian Bias, far more myth than reality IMO.

3) Power creep, frustrating but WG can correct. (I don't think they want to)

I can see where currencies/resources can be confusing especially for someone returning to the game. 

I do hope you enjoy returning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
358 posts
5,926 battles

Comparatively, has anyone else played WoT? There's directives, research booster, point enhancement blueprints, supply orders.wqinfgiwqagntg

Ships is pretty tame in comparison lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,316
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,424 posts
12,679 battles
1 hour ago, Brohk said:

Captain Marko Ramius lookalike?

I want that white hair even if it was a rug .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,958
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
1 hour ago, Brohk said:

It's all the bloody damned currencies.

Well, this is called World of Warships, not one country's warships. Here you can use your credit card for most purchases but we also take doubloons, even though they have been out of circulation for a hundred and fifty years. Or, you can speculate in oil and coal futures or even win tokens at the carnivals that can be exchanged for prizes. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
119
[PHU]
Members
336 posts
5,984 battles
40 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Is it the aircraft carrier rework? Nah, I think there are a lot of issues between CV/surface ship interactions, but generally I haven't been overly bothered by the class or rework.

Russian bias? Nah.

Power creep? Frustrating at times, but I can deal with it.

So why am I having such a hard time returning to the game? 

It's all the bloody damned currencies.

I've got credits, doubloons, free XP, coal, steel, and now... research points. Not to mention all the farfignickles, googleheims, and dollary-doo's that appear during the early access events. Maybe it's just the inveterate collector in me, but just looking at the long list of resources I need to collect, not to mention how to collect some of them, is enough to keep me from playing. Does anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me? I mean, does every major addition to the game have to carry some additional currency that can only be earned by playing Pan-Asian Destroyers while balancing a book on your head, reciting the alphabet backwards... and only during the vernal equinox? How many nautilus shells will I need to collect to unlock submarines? How much whale dung will I need to collect to unlock the Captain Marko Ramius lookalike?

Just... ugh. :cap_fainting:

As a collector, I feel you. I stopped caring about wanting every special commander or event ship a long time ago. Maybe it's a good thing that I've stopped caring, but I can't even imagine what it's like for a new player coming in and realizing he/she can't reap the main reward in most events until said person has spent several months playing and expanding their port with various nations and classes or even simply think about getting all those credits needed to buy all the ships and their upgrades+modules in the first place without a high tier premium to make bank...

unless the person is the type to immediately feel like investing money and buys premium time and a bunch of high tier premium ships right out the gate like there's no tomorrow. I wonder if that's ever happened before...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384
[V_V_V]
Members
1,074 posts
17,733 battles
39 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

The bottom line is the perception .. people can attack the OP all they want, but this is how he feels about the game. Why is it so hard for others to accept that people feel that CV are OP?

Maybe others have , but where did the OP state that CVs were overpowered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384
[V_V_V]
Members
1,074 posts
17,733 battles
39 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Comparatively, has anyone else played WoT? There's directives, research booster, point enhancement blueprints, supply orders.wqinfgiwqagntg

Ships is pretty tame in comparison lol

Agreed, Sir.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
948 posts

It bloody annoying but not unexpected for a company that uses shady mobile-game monetisation practices.  Multiple levels of currencies between the game requirements and real world cash in such a way that forces cash shop purchases and/or excessive time investments, not to mention the obligatory lootbox [edited].

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,288
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,365 posts
2 hours ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Comparatively, has anyone else played WoT? There's directives, research booster, point enhancement blueprints, supply orders.wqinfgiwqagntg

Ships is pretty tame in comparison lol

i play it regular... research booster?  those would be similar to some of your signals if you mean experience booster, no clue what a research booster is unless thats a clan thing. 

 

So currencies in WoT: credits, gold, bonds...   ok bp's if you insist..

boosters in wot they have i think 4...   they just earn more xp, freexp, credits, and xp...  you have  signal flags and more of those just in eco flags alone

directives are single use perks, again similar to flags, you can only mount one at a time and consumed on use.  purchaseable with bonds or credits depending on the perk

WoT recently added training manuals as well for giving crew exp

 

WoWs

dubs, credits, oil, coal, steel,  and if u wish to count buffs....  you have 21 different flags...  and ontop of that camos with different bonuses (don't exist in WoT)

 

Think wows and WoT are pretty close... in this regard

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,769
[NONE]
Members
3,886 posts
12,037 battles
3 hours ago, kagero__ said:

once you drink the Kool-Aide it all starts to make sense.

     Ken Kesey's or Jim Jones'? :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702
[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,210 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, the event currencies are a bit ridiculous. It’s been better lately though, there were a few event where there was inter conversion, which was confusing.

The rest is fine though. The XP, EXP, CXP, ECXP, and FXP thing is a lot for new players, but it makes sense once you get it.

I forgot about all that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702
[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,868 posts
9,210 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

I just spit expensive bourbon all over my expensive keyboard and cheap monitor.  +1.  I'd give you a +5, but that option isn't available to me...yet.  *Ring, ring*  "Hello, Mr. Putin?  I need a favor..."  :Smile_veryhappy:

Oh, and you forgot "recruitment points".

I didn't even realize recruitment points were a thing. Also, sorry about the booze expulsion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,144
[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
12 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

...The other currencies are event specific and while yes, if you line every single one up in a list going back to when they started that method, there are a lot - most of them are gone and won't come back.  They just use different names so that you can't horde them from one event to the other....

They could avoid the nuisance factor of the multiplication of event currencies by having just one, and have a time gap between events so you can use  them, then cash you out for credits (which they already do) before the next event starts.

But that, of course would insert breaks (gasp!) between nose-to-tail events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×