Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Ranked Sprint MM vs Randoms MM....Things That Make You Go hmmmMMmm

11 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles

So, this sprint season we have 2 tiers in the MM spread allowed. Tier 9 & 10 only. Why is tier 8 excluded? The answer, of course, is that tier 8 ships would be a handicap to most teams, as they are solidly outmatched by their tier 10 counterparts.

So, why then, does this silliness persist in randoms? I get that, once upon a time, 2 tier spreads were a necessary evil to prevent long wait times in queue, but that is no longer an issue. So why continue with 2 tier spreads, when you pretty much admit through the ranked sprint MM that it's not fair? 

I've never cared much about getting uptiered, and +/- 2 tier MM has never been a complaint of mine, but it IS unpopular, and this sprint MM is an acknowledgement by WG that tier 8 ships really don't belong in games versus Stalingrads, Hallands and Yamatos.

It's time guys; get rid of the two tier MM in randoms. Also, CVs. Get rid of those, too.

Thanks.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles
42 minutes ago, legozer said:

So, this sprint season we have 2 tiers in the MM spread allowed. Tier 9 & 10 only. Why is tier 8 excluded? The answer, of course, is that tier 8 ships would be a handicap to most teams, as they are solidly outmatched by their tier 10 counterparts.

So, why then, does this silliness persist in randoms? I get that, once upon a time, 2 tier spreads were a necessary evil to prevent long wait times in queue, but that is no longer an issue. So why continue with 2 tier spreads, when you pretty much admit through the ranked sprint MM that it's not fair? 

I've never cared much about getting uptiered, and +/- 2 tier MM has never been a complaint of mine, but it IS unpopular, and this sprint MM is an acknowledgement by WG that tier 8 ships really don't belong in games versus Stalingrads, Hallands and Yamatos.

It's time guys; get rid of the two tier MM in randoms. Also, CVs. Get rid of those, too.

Thanks.

Team are mirrored. A tier 8 on one side would imply a tier 8 on the other, making the handicap irrelevant. 

So why only 2 tier? Because its probably the first time a rank season go for kore than one tier, and going with 2 tier do make for a better first test.

and cv are fine.

Members
475 posts
4,013 battles

They leave it as is because people enjoy it. Why do people enjoy it? Because when you're the top tier ship in a low tier match-up, you get to flex on people. This creates excitement for the people flexing.

Sometimes you have to be content for other people.

Edited by Slumlord_Dasboot

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
2 minutes ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

Sometimes you have to actually read the original post.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,521 posts
6,405 battles
13 minutes ago, legozer said:

Sometimes you have to actually read the original post.

The original post is stupid and posits a stupid idea that is obviously incorrect as though it is self evidently true.

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

The original post is stupid and posits a stupid idea that is obviously incorrect as though it is self evidently true.

What is so incorrect, Professor?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
1 hour ago, legozer said:

So, this sprint season we have 2 tiers in the MM spread allowed.

I think that it all breaks down to queue times. If queue times in Randoms could be kept short enough I think that they would have 2-tier matchmaking. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,521 posts
6,405 battles
3 minutes ago, legozer said:

What is so incorrect, Professor?

The idea that Tier VIIIs were not included because they would be a liability to the team with the Tier VIII.  The teams are mirrored and both teams would have a Tier VIII of the same type and thus the "liability" would be equal between the two teams, thus neither team would be carrying a liability compared to the other.

Therefor we can conclude that Tier VIII was not included for other reasons.

Edited by Helstrem

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
58 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that it all breaks down to queue times. If queue times in Randoms could be kept short enough I think that they would have 2-tier matchmaking. 

We are already seeing a LOT of homogeneous games at tier 8, 9 and 10, and I've even experienced a few homogeneous tier 7 games recently, so it seems that there is enough population to support one-tier-spread matchmaking. 

1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

The idea that Tier VIIIs were not included because they would be a liability to the team with the Tier VIII.  The teams are mirrored and both teams would have a Tier VIII of the same type and thus the "liability" would be equal between the two teams, thus neither team would be carrying a liability compared to the other.

They aren't included in a competitive mode because (brace yourself, this one is a real shocker), they aren't competitive with tier 10 botes. Even with balansed MM, the tier 8 ships aren't balanced enough against vastly superior tier 10 ships for a proper competitive mode. 

Randoms are also competitive, in that winning randoms consistently speeds one's progression through the game vis-a-vis the in game economic bonuses for winning and performing competitively. Nonetheless, tier 6 ships still have to regularly face  the FAR better ships of tier 8, and many/most players would rather that not happen. So, if two tiers lower isn't good for ranked (and, shocker, there aren't long queue times for ranked) then why is it still okay in randoms? There is no logic to it anymore. Also, there was no reason to be so insulting or abrasive. You were way out of line.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,649 posts
10,445 battles
1 hour ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

They leave it as is because people enjoy it. Why do people enjoy it? Because when you're the top tier ship in a low tier match-up, you get to flex on people. This creates excitement for the people flexing.

I agree. I like to "flex", as you put it. I am perfectly willing to put in my time as the bug, so others can be the windshield.

Not to toot my own horn, but I have enough skill to be the windshield as bottom tier on occasion. Perhaps I would feel differently if I didn't.

Sign in to follow this