You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

DM Donskoi help..... P-p-p-p-lease!!

20 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

For some reason I am really struggling with this ship.  I know people knock it out of the Park with his thing but.......

I was really looking forward to it and I got around to grinding it so I can be ready for the MOSKVA Change ( don't want to use my FXP for the research ) 

Thing is,  I just cannot figure out the AP.  I can't do ANYTHING to even a well angled CA CL with it.  The  HE is ok,  but it seems I have to be danger close to get a CIT or good Penn with the AP unless it's an easy Broadside.

I do know she has 8km torps but I am trying to practice with her gunz. Torps I can use any ole time.

This is really the only CA I struggle with right now.

I KNOW I am missing something here ( besides Cits ) 

Col Standing By

Edited by Col_Nasty

[DAS]
Members
1,024 posts
10,379 battles

I have only played one game in mine so maybe I am not the right person for this, but it was a great game.

I went with long range HE spamming really because I never got the chance to get in close and use AP. Sorry, I got one volley off against a BB towards the end for more than 10K dmg.

Forget you have torps unless you find yourself in an "Oh sh*t" situation and you are going to die anyway.

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I went with long range support ship, double rudder (yes I didn’t pick the concealment upgrade), good kiter that can bounce Yamato shells if well angled.

As for the AP, I only used when sub 11 km at fully broadside targets.

Edited by CO_Valle
  • Cool 2

[BOMBL]
Members
1,233 posts
16,543 battles

Got to stay at range and kite. During lulls you want to push up and investigate plus you have radar. Those are my games I got dev struck by a bb. Don’t push up until you know you have cleared the bbs from that side

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,238 posts

struggle with is too, way worse handling and doesn't seem any more powerful other than better range and number but wider dispersion torps.

glad have enough fxp when time comes as not making real dent

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,072 battles
38 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I went with long range support ship, double rudder (yes I didn’t pick the concealment upgrade), good kiter that can bounce Yamato shells if well angled.

As for the AP, I only used when sub 11 km at fully broadside targets.

I like this approach as well. Donskoi is a second line HE spammer. She's so fragile even in late game she has trouble moving up and killing ships. 

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I struggled with it too.  Only have like 11 games on it because I couldn't take it.   But since I need to regrind for Nev, I will pay attention to this thread.   Any good build recommendations?  I am quite lost

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles

It is a hard ship to play, but range is your only friend.  But here is a fun ploy.  On map with lots of islands get in close to the mid islands quickly in a non CV game.  Hopefully your not spotted.  Wait for a BB to get close on the other side and then pile around the corner and those Dontski Torps can do a number. (you may pick up an occasional enemy DD trying to come through the islands, and they die quick to HE) Did this quite a bit with the Yorck too... as both are tough to play, but coming in on a BB target angled, and you can pull it off.  Just for fun mind you... but over all Dontski is a long range firestarter.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

As others have mentioned, play it at range ... and I mean right at its firing limits.  It has good shells and will hit at that distance if you can aim it properly. 

Everyone knows you're squishy ... and you have Radar ... which puts a double target on your back.  Even the bots in CoOp will focus you!  Flamu put out a pretty good video on it that helped me understand how to best play her ... hope it helps you.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,168 posts
16,146 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

For some reason I am really struggling with this ship.  I know people knock it out of the Park with his thing but.......

I was really looking forward to it and I got around to grinding it so I can be ready for the MOSKVA Change ( don't want to use my FXP for the research ) 

Thing is,  I just cannot figure out the AP.  I can't do ANYTHING to even a well angled CA CL with it.  The  HE is ok,  but it seems I have to be danger close to get a CIT or good Penn with the AP unless it's an easy Broadside.

I do know she has 8km torps but I am trying to practice with her gunz. Torps I can use any ole time.

Col Standing By

I had trouble with the Donskoi when I first started with her, but I quickly realised that my main problem was that I was too close. 

If you're in a T10 battle, you shouldnt be any closer than 14 km - and ideally even closer to max range when facing multiple enemy battleships.  The ideal position for her is on the side of the map where enemy team is lemming/pushing (particularly with their battleships), and you are kiting away from them at near max range.  Remember, you dont need to be running at full speed - I tend to plod along at 1/4 with my aft pointed towards pushing battleships, setting them on fire again and again and again - I only increase speed to throw their aim or if they all start shooting at me.  Important - remember to turn away and kite BEFORE firing your guns else you'll be a massive broadside target and get paddeled, even at 15km.  

AP really only works effectively from about 10km on broadside crusiers (and sometimes broadside battleships, but I tend to try to set fires first).  

Only in late battle do I push up - but often this means you can nail damaged DDs with your radar and railguns, so you often mop them up rather suddenly.  But you are always vulnerable to getting deleted from accross the map - you are a cruiser, after all.  

Even though the torps are rather long ranged (8km), they really are only suicide weapons because you can be spotted from the moon, its really hard to set up good ambush positions.

I hope that helps.  

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Col Standing By

Like people have said, you fight further out. Donskoi is a selfish ship most of the game till maybe late, it's not your responsibility to do dynamic plays unless the most golden of opportunities are revealed to you. You're there to do steady damage, pick up kills other people can't secure in time, and deal with DDs using your railguns/threaten radar on them in an area. I use AP on BB superstructures/upper belts constantly, you can easily do significant damage to them at range while being too hard to hit for more than lucky shots to deal damage back (start a fire or two first to get DoT ticking). Vs other cruisers just use HE till they decide to turn broadside, then switch to AP. The AP is powerful enough that IFHE isn't really worth it on this ship.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts
25 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Like people have said, you fight further out. Donskoi is a selfish ship most of the game till maybe late, it's not your responsibility to do dynamic plays unless the most golden of opportunities are revealed to you. You're there to do steady damage, pick up kills other people can't secure in time, and deal with DDs using your railguns/threaten radar on them in an area. I use AP on BB superstructures/upper belts constantly, you can easily do significant damage to them at range while being too hard to hit for more than lucky shots to deal damage back (start a fire or two first to get DoT ticking). Vs other cruisers just use HE till they decide to turn broadside, then switch to AP. The AP is powerful enough that IFHE isn't really worth it on this ship.

WOW!  Thanx.. Everybody!  Gonna try the new playstyle!

I am normally a very aggressive player, there is my mistake with her.

Edited by Col_Nasty

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles

If your AP is misbehaving, do the following:

1. Go to a website that shows ballistic charts and ricochet angles like https://wowsft.com/ or https://jcw780.github.io/wows_ballistics/
  2. Load the offending ship along with 1 or 2 ships you're familiar with for comparison; this will give you a rough idea where your ship stands.
  3. Pay attention to the impact angle at various distances. For the Donskoi you'll notice that the shells land at a fairly low angle (with respect to the horizontal) compared to other cruisers even at long range, a signature of Russian cruisers. 
    - Also take note of the ricochet angle; some ships can pen at steeper angles than others (E.g. US heavy cruisers and UK light cruisers)
  4. Take your ship to the training room and line up some stationary targets around your tier. This way you can experiment in a controlled environment without worrying about getting blapped or throwing away a match.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

RU Cruisers tend to gravitate to being medium or long range combatants.  Anything shorter invites disaster.  Moskva and the RU Super Cruisers have very peculiar protection schemes that let them get away with a number of things that Dmitri Donskoi and every other (the majority of) Russian Cruisers can't.

HE most of the time unless you're getting flat broadsides and the range is short against Cruisers.

It also may be fine to switch ahead to AP even against a BB you know you can't Citadel, when you anticipate seeing a lot of their superstructure.  Nail the base of the superstructure with bigger AP Penetration damage instead of settling for safer but lower HE damage.

Dmitri Donskoi's 180mm shell damage:  HE 2500 vs AP 4400

A couple AP shell Pens is going to do loads more damage that their Repair Party isn't going to heal back.

That's just general RU Cruiser stuff, stuff I wish I did on my initial grind.  I kept it simpler as a newbie grinding the line, HE all the time, but there's opportunities to use AP if you can anticipate its use.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,589 posts
15,337 battles

I was only dev struck once in my entire grind, Sub 10km by a T9 soviet BB. Was last alive just trying to maximize damage. 

On certain maps you can push up to islands early to Radar then fall back to 15km plus to farm the BBs. You have to remember you don't have Improved AP angles, you need them to be pretty broadside to get citadels on cruisers. 

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

I call it my bait-n-switch ship.

Start of the game I look at the Mini-map and see where our bbs are then push in in front of them till im spotted... Count 10 then hard turn right at our bbs... Sure as anything someone will fire at me and by then im kiting and their bloom just brought on a ton of bb FIRE.

The rest of the game just watch the mini-map. Push in accordingly, Kite when spotted, kill dds and burn the rest. FUN ship if played right, its kinda the cross of a Smolensk and Colbert without the ROF.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,301 battles

Yeah, I didn't start to get decent damage in games until I started playing it like a kiting fire starter. As many others have already said, the AP is a nice bonus IF.... IF the opportunity presents itself. If you try to play around it, you find your own lack of armour and slow rate of fire can't handle the brawl at that tier.

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
599 posts
16,633 battles

It's a mid range ship, if you get closer than 12kms, you are TOO CLOSE. Get some distance and practice being angled at your targets.

I grinded this ship to get the Moskva, and since WG announced we'll have to grind it again to get the T10 CL, I already regrinded the ship to 250k exp on her.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles

Stay fairly well back unless you have ships closer in that can use your radar.

Burn everything.

Switch to AP only when you have the perfect target.