You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
poeticmotion

Ranked Sprint - Worst Season So Far? A suggestion.

33 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles

I'm not normally one to complain a lot, but this sprint has been terrible. I love arms race as a mode, I don't mind high-tier competitive, but the level of play has been abysmal even compared to normal randoms or ranked. 9 out of 10 games are absolute steamrolls one way or the other, the majority of DDs won't spot or grab buffs, the majority of BBs think slowly sailing broadside on 20km back sniping is helpful...bad play is endemic, and ranked is usually a game of who can carry hardest, but this has been so miserable I'm bowing out after being stuck at rank 5 since day 1. I'm no unicum, but I consistently rank out in sprints and do well in rank modes when I have time to grind. I'm not sure how to fix it, either; WG has shown no willingness to limit participation in ranked (nor should they, tbh.)

But one thing that I think is contributing is the 12v12 format. 

As I said, I'm not a unicum. I can contribute my share; I know how to position and prioritize targets, my biggest weakness is a lack of patience and tendency to overextend but I've held that in check this season. One reason I've always done better in ranked than randoms is it's honestly easier to carry in a 6v6 or 8v8 than 12v12; I'm just not good enough to carry on my own consistently in 12v12, whereas in 6v6 and 8v8, I have a much better chance to do so. I love ranked because it is a mode where I usually feel like my performance contributes *more* to a win or a loss, because of the smaller team. But I've had countless games this week where no matter what I did, I couldn't carry this many bad players. 

This ranked sprint is the worst of both worlds; absolute potato level of play overall of randoms, the ability of a really good div or really bad div on one side to completely dominate or completely undermine the game of randoms, but the frustration of trying to save stars and the toxicity of ranked.

Not a huge deal, it's just a sprint, but WG, please consider NOT doing 12v12 in Ranked, even sprints. This has been a mind-bogglingly frustrating sprint and the first one I haven't ranked out of in a long time, and at least in randoms I can work on the campaign and not get frustrated at going up and down one star for a week. I accept there's nothing reasonable that can be done about the gameplay level without putting limits on who can play and y'all won't do that, but 12v12 multitier just makes it feel like a random match and this isn't worth the frustration. 

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,192 posts
12,739 battles

I also like the arms race mode. Including t9 is ok but would like see other tiers played in the future. Also, 12 v 12 is not as easy to influence outcomes so would prefer the smaller formats of previous. Overall tho it’s still been fun. Stalingrad is racking up the free xp:)

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles

Yep. 12 v 12 flat out SSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCKSSSSSSSS

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,335 posts
16,860 battles

I'm a fan of Arms Race mode, but 12 v 12 has been toxic as all get out.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,239 posts
36 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

I'm not normally one to complain a lot, but this sprint has been terrible.

Since Ranked started, every season has initiated a flurry of forum complaints. I don't think some people would be happy if they made a list and WG specifically created a Ranked scenario just for them. There has been nothing wrong with any of the Ranked seasons, standard or sprint. You don't have to play them but by doing so you get a whole truckload of goodies, and you can quit any time.

I actually like this current season's format. Having to seize the buffs prevents teams from camping if they want to remain competitive with the other team. Also, the final cap usually must be taken and held in order to win. A team can be ahead quite a bit on points and ships but if they are not cognizant of the importance of the final cap they can actually lose the game if the other team takes it. Having to fight for the final cap makes for an interesting and exciting endgame.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Not having any issues with format or numbers per team. I do agree that some matches look like a Bennie Hill sketch just like many randoms. Finally made it back to 5 from 8 after going through the 1 step forward 2 steps back routine for a week. Despite top 3 finishes nearly every match and regularly seeing 120-160k damage and at least 1-2 kills..... Yeah, it's an exercise sometimes 

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles
26 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Since Ranked started, every season has initiated a flurry of forum complaints. I don't think some people would be happy if they made a list and WG specifically created a Ranked scenario just for them. There has been nothing wrong with any of the Ranked seasons, standard or sprint. You don't have to play them but by doing so you get a whole truckload of goodies, and you can quit any time.

I actually like this current season's format. Having to seize the buffs prevents teams from camping if they want to remain competitive with the other team. Also, the final cap usually must be taken and held in order to win. A team can be ahead quite a bit on points and ships but if they are not cognizant of the importance of the final cap they can actually lose the game if the other team takes it. Having to fight for the final cap makes for an interesting and exciting endgame.  

Yes, and this is the first time I've ever complained about one. The fact that people spam-complain about really stupid things doesn't mean negative feedback is always unwarranted. 

• Cool 1

Members
907 posts

I agree that the 12v12 format may be making this Ranked Sprint season less enjoyable than previous ones that used arms race. They essentially took all the frustrations from Randoms - camping, sniping, avoiding caps - and dropped it in a game mode that should be more relaxing and fun. It also had the side effect of reducing the population of players for Random games, which resulted in some sub-12v12 games that were actually...fun. 

It's almost like reducing the matches to no more than 10v10 makes everything better.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles

12v12 sucks, the extra ship needed in CWs sucks too... oh and CVs just suck ( I thought I would get that in there, otherwise folks may think less of me)  I do like Arms Race though and I do like the extra tier, so progress I guess?

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
2 hours ago, legozer said:

Yep. 12 v 12 flat out SSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCKSSSSSSSS

It’s not really the 12 vs 12 that is the main issue as much as it being Arms Race. Which meant pretty much if I was not in a good DD that could both fight and grab most of the buffs then I would be having to place the outcome of the battles into far more uncertain hands of my teams.

You can just imagine trying to be in some CAs or BBs and enemy gets all the HP buffs, Reload buffs, and consumables reload speed buffs how that would make it near impossible for your ship to carry as I found out a few bad battles in CAs and BBs so yeah I pretty much had to make sure I was one of the DDs this time in order to have much of any success.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

What I still don't understand is why is it called ranked?  Ranked is usually a mode (in other games) where similar ranks get paired up in matchmaking.   Here on Wows, rank 2 gets matched up with rank 10's...   It is exactly like random battles except you get rewards for actually winning battles.

• Cool 1

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles

As many people have suggested, the reason this Ranked Sprint is 12 v 12 at T9-10 is possibly  to test out including Arms Race in Random Battles. So I wouldn't worry too much about future Ranked Sprint (just a little bit). 

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,444 battles
2 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

Yes, and this is the first time I've ever complained about one. The fact that people spam-complain about really stupid things doesn't mean negative feedback is always unwarranted. 

Every forum in the history of the Universe is partly populated with a certain type of poster who will absolutely HATE you for making any suggestion or holding any opinion about anything for any reason. This one seems to have more than most, though. Like, you get downvoted for suggestion a fractional decrease in smoke firing penalties on specific ships. It's weird, but oddly entertaining.

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,966 battles

It's not ranked or this season or even the arms race format. It's the epic garbage loser worthless players that are ruining it.

I've made it to rank 2 and now I'm back to rank 5. Why??? Because the players are complete and utter trash. 

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
30 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

It's not ranked or this season or even the arms race format. It's the epic garbage loser worthless players that are ruining it.

I've made it to rank 2 and now I'm back to rank 5. Why??? Because the players are complete and utter trash. 

No, you haven't. Rank 3 is irrevocable.

I do sympathize with trash teams. I've spent the last 14 games trying to get through rank 5. Mostly its lemming trains with everyone except for maybe 2 players sailing to the opposite side of the buffs. If they wanted to do random ranked they should of made it entirely irrevocable like the last ranked. There is zero fun to be had gaining and losing the same stars over and over. 

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,966 battles
Just now, ksix said:

No, you haven't. Rank 3 is irrevocable.

I do sympathize with trash teams. I've spent the last 14 games trying to get through rank 5. If they wanted to do random ranked they should of made it entirely irrevocable like the last ranked. There is zero fun to be had gain and losing the same stars over and over. 

Maybe I'm rank 3 IDK. What I do know is it's not worth the flags or whatever WG is giving out versus the frustration of the entire team dying in the first 5 minutes every game :Smile_facepalm:

[-VT-]
Members
108 posts
13,734 battles

I check profiles after the blowouts.   Usually one side has 4 or 5 sub 45%ers, the other side 4 or 5 above 52%ers.   Horrible matchmaking = steamrolls

[TF-60]
Members
459 posts
16,895 battles

Funny thing—my most effective cruiser was the Henry IV (60% wr)

CV was a 75% WR for me as were DD’s

i think that dd and cv play is most impactful due to vision control 

[SCCC]
WoWS Community Contributors
953 posts
17,131 battles

I ranked out, albeit letting my twitch viewers pick whatever boat they want me to play at tier 9 or 10.

It was an interesting aspect and boats like the Ibuki or Buffalo did well for me in wins or save a star. 12 v 12 makes it harder to save a star. In the end pick a flank to influence, play to your ships strengths and try and win that flank. Trade your hit points effectively.

Not every game will be a win, but its still a heck of a lot of fun.

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Did you even bother to read the OP? He starts off saying he loves arms race. His main complaint is the 12v12, yet you completely ignored the entire post and wrote a pointless response justifying the arms race mode which he wasn't even complaining about.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Has there ever been a season without people whinging about the format? This season seems like people have decided "I'm too good not to rank out easily, it must be arms race or 12v12" with the "I can't influence the game in 12v12" excuse, like they're smashing out krakens in every 7v7 game but suddenly can't because there's more players. Adding a couple of extra ships per flank is hardly an overwhelming change, unless you're a yolo suicide over-extender and get blapped in 3 minutes.

Worry less about "influencing the battle" and worry more about the objectives of the game. Grab buffs when you can. Hold the middle. When the cap appears, get in it. I ranked out easily with a 61% win-rate and 90k average damage.

I started off with the GK & Alaska getting a ~55% WR, then moved to the Worcester and concentrated on central map control. That ship gave me a 120k avg damage and 73% WR which is super unicum level. Even though I only averaged 1 ship kill every 4 games. But that didn't matter since I was controlling the middle, driving away the larger ships with the treat of being burned to death, and then supporting the DD's when the cap appears.

• Boring 2

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
11,016 battles

It literally felt like randoms with arms race added in. The worst part was that the ability of most of the players was comparable to randoms too! Really hope they don't do it like this again. Competitive modes should remain a safe haven for serious players that need an escape from the eternal idiocy that occurs in random battles.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,418 battles
14 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Has there ever been a season without people whinging about the format? This season seems like people have decided "I'm too good not to rank out easily, it must be arms race or 12v12" with the "I can't influence the game in 12v12" excuse, like they're smashing out krakens in every 7v7 game but suddenly can't because there's more players. Adding a couple of extra ships per flank is hardly an overwhelming change, unless you're a yolo suicide over-extender and get blapped in 3 minutes.

Worry less about "influencing the battle" and worry more about the objectives of the game. Grab buffs when you can. Hold the middle. When the cap appears, get in it. I ranked out easily with a 61% win-rate and 90k average damage.

I started off with the GK & Alaska getting a ~55% WR, then moved to the Worcester and concentrated on central map control. That ship gave me a 120k avg damage and 73% WR which is super unicum level. Even though I only averaged 1 ship kill every 4 games. But that didn't matter since I was controlling the middle, driving away the larger ships with the treat of being burned to death, and then supporting the DD's when the cap appears.

Did you even read what I wrote? Because either you only read the first few words or this is a hilarious strawman. 

• Funny 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

I thought this sprint was great and had no problem with the format.

12 v 12 is good for sprint because it makes the play to save a star mentality even more stupid. Also i saw only 1 salty player, which is exponentially lower than any 7v7 ranked mode.

what i did not like was i ranked out before the twitch mission dropped, making it impossible to complete. This is just poor conception and execution on wgs part.

Edited by monpetitloup

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles

Didn't enjoy the 12v12 aspect. I'll pass if this comes up again in the next ranked.

No thanks - Meme Guy