You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Ramming Mechanics?

5 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
712 posts
19,010 battles

When two opposing ships ram, it has always been my impression that they deal damage to each other proportional to each ship's total HP pool (assume for this discussion neither ship is running the ramming signal).  But I just experienced a ram that makes me think there may be more to it.  Like, the damage inflicted may also be affected by the relative speed of the two?  Does anyone know for sure if relative speed affects damage inflicted by ramming?

I'm asking because of a weird experience in a game this morning.  I was driving a cruiser (Omaha), and we had a game with 1 CV per side.  Late in the game, I found myself in a position from which I thought I could run down the red CV.  Although he was unspotted, I KNEW he was hiding behind a small island.  Due to my position and intervening islands, I had to charge straight at the island, and knew I wouldn't be able to see him till the last second.  My plan was to round the island and torp him.  Well...

I finally got close, rounded the island, and there he is.  But, SURPRISE, he's bow on to me, and charging straight at me, clearly with ramming in mind.  My whole attack plan went up in smoke in less than a second.  I slammed the rudder over to unmask my torps, then emptied the tubes at him, but that maneuver forced me to beach on an island.  Slammed it into reverse to get off the island, while simultaneously firing the guns as fast as I could.  Got two torp hits, and lots of HE hits, but he's still coming.  I just kept it in reverse, and turned to point my bow towards him, thinking I'll delay the ram, giving me more time to kill him, and at the same time minimizing the target for his secondaries, and the number of secondaries that can bear on me.  But he did finally hit me.  We hit bow-on to each other.  He was coming at me at flank speed, but I was reversing away as fast as I could.  So, our relative speed of impact was fairly small.  The ram resulted in 5k damage to the CV, 8k damage to me, and I got a Die Hard.  Those damage numbers are far lower than either ship's HP pool, so I'm thinking they were reduced by the relatively low speed of the collision?  But...anybody know for sure how this works?

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

I believe the ram mechanics are based on tonnage not health pool (so a 50% damaged BB and a 25% damaged BB will both die). Additionally, when two damage ships ram you will only be credited for damage based on actual health at the point of the ram.

[WOLFC]
Members
543 posts
9,527 battles

Depends on which one of you is driving the USS Pinto.

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,326 posts
14,923 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I believe the ram mechanics are based on tonnage not health pool (so a 50% damaged BB and a 25% damaged BB will both die). Additionally, when two damage ships ram you will only be credited for damage based on actual health at the point of the ram.

The health pool is effectively tonnage so when two ships ram the damage is based with some modifiers such as speed and flags the undamaged health of each ship.

47 minutes ago, Nolo_00 said:

Depends on which one of you is driving the USS Pinto.

That movie didn't age as well as the airplane or Naked Gun movies but that scene is funny as hell even if you never heard of the Pinto.