You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kensikora

premiium ship question

34 comments in this topic

[DFTR]
Members
72 posts
1,915 battles

Hello all. I am currently looking at a few premium ships as i currentl wish to get one but i am not sure which to get so i am hoping you guys can give me your opinions. I have looked up them all, watched youtube videos and read reviews and have some up with a few that have peaked my interested and just would like some general opinions on them as to which would be a good one to choose.

The ships are as follows.

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

If you guys have an opinon on which ship you think is the better one and why i would apreciate is as i do not want to pick a ship that is no fun

For reference those ship 1,2 and 5 im storngly considering but 3 is a possibilty

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles

Bourgogne is a steel ships, so I do not think that you can have it.

First question that you need to ask yourself: what lines do you grind? It's especially vital when you are somewhat new to the game since your premium will also be your captain trainer. That being said:

1 Tirpitz: solid choice, a Bismarck with torp. Quite tanky but a poor main battery configuration (4x2) of low caliber (15'') and with poor accuracy. But you get great secondaries and it's one of the best brawler. The cherry on top is that she can use the same captain as the other German BB easily.

2 Roma: an other tanky ships, but it's almost all you get from her. Her main battery have a better configuration (3x3) but even worst capacity than the Tirpitz, and she do not have secondaries or torpedoes to complete it.

3. Lenin: all forward guns is great, with good guns at close range. But AA is quite poor. Overall a good ships in my opinion.

4-5 Alabama and Mass: Great guns, great maneuverability, slow, great AA... Both ships are quite similar. The main difference is that Alabama perform better at longer range while Mass have better secondaries and a quick heal. Overall Alabama is a better US captain BB trainer while Mass is a more fun ship that require her own captain to profit of her perks.

6: I guess you were talking about Gascogne. My favorite tier 8 BB: quick and nimble, great secondaries.... But she is not an easy ship. Easily farmed, guns that works just as bad as Tirpitz, poor AA... would not recommend.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,323 posts

Tirpitz is good she's tanky and has a brawler playstyle. Plus a good dose of torpedoes. For the LOLs. The draw back is the main guns and their dispersion.  But with the buffs the German guns received its a bit more palatable. Hard hitting and plenty of secondaries to light up someone's day. She is my overgrown Destroyer..lol.

Roma is hard hitting and nose in extremely tanky. Semi decent armor and good speed. Never show your side. She will get paddled very easily.

The others I don't have but russian bias is real . Lol

US guns are very hard hitting and accurate to a point .

And Burgone not even gonna mention that cause I really don't know. If it's anything like Alsace she's a good ship. Nice overall shotgun shells with fire and brimstone rain makers on the secondaries. Lol.

GL M8:Smile_honoring:

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
241 posts
13,156 battles

I have the Massy, Alabama, Tirpitz and Lenin, if I could only have 1 of them I'd keep the Massy.   The others listed would be next in some order based on my current mood.  From what I've heard of the the remaining coal/$ ships are what you get when you need a challenge as they are much harder to play and much less forgiving.

Abbye

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,087 posts
4,341 battles
18 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

Hello all. I am currently looking at a few premium ships as i currentl wish to get one but i am not sure which to get so i am hoping you guys can give me your opinions. I have looked up them all, watched youtube videos and read reviews and have some up with a few that have peaked my interested and just would like some general opinions on them as to which would be a good one to choose.

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

If you guys have an opinon on which ship you think is the better one and why i would apreciate is as i do not want to pick a ship that is no fun

For reference those ship 1,2 and 5 im storngly considering but 3 is a possibilty

My opinion? None of the above. These are all T8 ships at least, your highest ship is T4. You will have zero idea what you're doing at high tier. Wait until you grind up to those tiers before buying a T8 premium. Those are good ships, but you won't have the least idea what you're doing. This isn't your fault, you're still new to the game. It's tempting to just buy a shiny cool looking high tier ship, but the reality is you'll just get clobbered because you don't have any experience. You should play some lower tier ships, maybe a couple of low tier premiums, and get experience that way. Then once you get up to those tiers you'll have the experience to play those ships well. The usual advice is to only buy premiums ships of the same or lower tier of where you've ground to.

There are a couple of good T5 premiums I can recommend.

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya: Russian BB, pretty solid ship. Lots of guns, fast but limited damage control.

Marblehead and Murmansk: Pretty much the same ship, first is US, second is Russian. Light cruisers, explode easily, but fun long range HE spam.

If you want to try a T6, couple options there too.

Arizona: USN BB, 12 14" guns, slow ship and slow reload, but the 12 guns hit like a truck.

Warspite: RN BB. 8 15" guns, very accurate, overmatch all kinds of things. Very solid BB, one of the best at T6.

Dunkerque: French T6 BB. 13" guns, all forward arrangement. Bit of an odd ship, but fast and can be fun once you get used to it.

Also available in-game for doubloons are the Texas and Dreadnought, other solid options.

To sum up, don't get carried away with shiny new high tier premiums, because you will be a liability to your team with them. Stick to the low tiers, get some low tier premiums, and grind up. There is way more to the game than high tier ships, so don't feel you have to jump up there. Plenty of fun ships at T6 and T7, and I strongly encourage you to take the time to play not pay your way to high tier. 

• Cool 6

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,196 posts
5,912 battles

Own and played all of them. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a crew trainer, Tirpitz, Alabama, Lenin, and (Gascogne) are great for their respective battleship lines. If you are just looking for a fun ship, Roma and Massachusetts can be a blast, but require a seperate captain to play to their strengths. 

If you are wanting to buy your way to tier 8 I can strongly advise against it. You should never buy more than one tier higher than your best ship.

[CRUEL]
Members
544 posts
10,084 battles

Ok I'm going to take you a little off track here. With only 108 battles I would suggest getting a tier 7ship. I say this because when I was new I grinded up to NC and had a bad win rate with her while I was learning. Also the next season of ranked later this month is tier 7. I suggest Duke of York. It's by far my favorite bb. I don't have it but sharnhorst is also very popular. Duke is great because it has more powerful HE so it's easy to just stick with that and burn or slam whatever ship. It's also quick and fairly easy to turn. Comes with a hydro as well. Anyway just my 2 cents. Goodluck. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,766 posts
21,666 battles

Bourgogne is a steel ship, so would take a long time and a lot of dedication to get.

Out of the rest, I'd recommend them in this order:

1. Massa
  2. Tirpitz
  3. Lenin
  4. Alabama
  5. Roma
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
20,164 posts
13,059 battles
1 hour ago, Kensikora said:

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

You only have a little over 100 battles and all of those are T8+. The meta changes greatly at the higher tiers. You do have Kirov, which is planned to become a premium when 9.5 drops (Wed, Jun 10th or later?), so you could hang onto your cash until you get a little more experience under your belt. Or go for one of the T5 ones. if you have the cash to burn and don't care about lighting it up, I would go with Mass, Alabama, or Tirpitz.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
1 hour ago, Kensikora said:

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

Of those ships, the Tirpitz sand the Massachusetts are probably the most fun. Tirpitz is a better captain trainer, but Massachusetts is probably a (marginally) stronger ship. Both make great credits. But they are both T8 ships, so if you only have 100-200 battles under your belt you arent ready for them yet  

Still, you might be interested in this discussion outlining key things to consider before buying a premium ship. 

It includes a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,323 posts
14,923 battles

I will echo @AJTP89 and suggest staying away from the higher tier premiums for now and get something in the tier 3 to tier 6 range.

Members
7,122 posts
22,647 battles

Buy a month of premium time. Earn more credits and xp with every game you play. Buying a ship seems good...… it isn't, sooner or later you will get bored and want to play other ships.... Premium time helps you gain better returns with every game you play. I have over a dozen premium ships I have never played. (long story) Premium time. I beg you.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

My opinion? None of the above. These are all T8 ships at least, your highest ship is T4. You will have zero idea what you're doing at high tier. Wait until you grind up to those tiers before buying a T8 premium. Those are good ships, but you won't have the least idea what you're doing. This isn't your fault, you're still new to the game.

Arizona: USN BB, 12 14" guns, slow ship and slow reload, but the 12 guns hit like a truck.

Warspite: RN BB. 8 15" guns, very accurate, overmatch all kinds of things. Very solid BB, one of the best at T6.

Solid advice, right there.  Arizona is probably my favorite Tier 6 battleship, but Warspite is also highly regarded.

38 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Of those ships, the Tirpitz sand the Massachusetts are probably the most fun. 

If you absolutely must buy a Tier 8 (which I discourage), those are my top 2 from your list.

23 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Buy a month of premium time. Earn more credits and xp with every game you play.

More solid advice.  Premium time will help pad your silver accounts for when you eventually reach Tiers 8 and up.  You may currently think you are okay on silver.  Trust me, you are not.  Tiers 8 and 9 are supremely expensive to buy and upgrade.  Premium time will also significantly shorten your grinds through un-upgraded tech tree ships, which can frequently be somewhat unpleasant.

By the way @Kensikora, us old, crusty WoWS veterans love to see new players coming into the game, especially when they take the time to come to the forum and ask great questions (like yours).  Don't be intimidated to do so.  We can react harshly to posters that blame other things rather than themselves, but we are VERY helpful to those with honest, good questions. 

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,409 posts
12,603 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Bourgogne is a steel ship, so would take a long time and a lot of dedication to get.

Out of the rest, I'd recommend them in this order:

1. Massa
  2. Tirpitz
  3. Lenin
  4. Alabama
  5. Roma

I also agree with this ^^^^ I have all those ships except the Lenin but this would be the order of the ones I have . 

Edited by clammboy

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,409 posts
12,603 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya: Russian BB, pretty solid ship. Lots of guns, fast but limited damage control.

The only problem with this ship is she is so damn ugly you just cant play her after a while .

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,269 battles

Here is the thing.

You need to master, or try to master, two style of play, to properly comprehend what is going on with the game mechanics. Brawling, and kiting.

There are loads of tech tree ships that are excellent for kiting. IJN and British BBs, Ruski and IJN Cruisers. All great for kiting. Brawling, ..... not so much. 

I would get the Massa, of the premiums, because it is so great for brawling, while the tech tree tier 8s are not great, in comparison.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,087 posts
4,341 battles
41 minutes ago, clammboy said:

The only problem with this ship is she is so damn ugly you just cant play her after a while .

Fair point, she's just ahead of beer can Roma in the beauty contest:Smile_teethhappy:

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles
2 hours ago, Kensikora said:

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

1. Tirpitz: Overall fun ship that I enjoy playing. Excellent armor protection, great secondaries, plus torpedoes. But, in the current meta she has serious issues when dealing with destroyers, HE spam, and carriers. The Bismark has hydro and better AA so personally I enjoy her quite a bit more. Still, a good but frustrating ship to play when facing off against Tier 10 ships. 

2. Roma: Fast with great concealment able to dictate the engagements choosing when to fight and when to run. Terrible secondaries and marginal AA at best. Both her armor scheme and main guns will troll both you and your enemies. I like the ship but a lot of experience is required to make her shine. 

3. Lenin: Do not have her but I have the Nelson which I thoroughly enjoy playing. Having faced off against the Lenin I've had no issues dealing with her other than the fact that her main guns pack quite a punch. She's slow and not very nimble so I'd pass on this one. 

4. Alabama: A worse Massachusetts. Guns feel far more floaty even though it's basically the same ship. 

5. Massachusetts: Very fun ship. Great main guns that pack a lot of punch with an excellent AA suite. Good concealment and speed for her tier but obviously the reason people get this ship is the secondaries; they're awesome. With her accelerated heal etc this is a great ship and highly recommended. 

6. Bourgogne: Do not have her but the few times I've faced her she seemed squishy. 

[DFTR]
Members
72 posts
1,915 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

My opinion? None of the above. These are all T8 ships at least, your highest ship is T4. You will have zero idea what you're doing at high tier. Wait until you grind up to those tiers before buying a T8 premium. Those are good ships, but you won't have the least idea what you're doing. This isn't your fault, you're still new to the game. It's tempting to just buy a shiny cool looking high tier ship, but the reality is you'll just get clobbered because you don't have any experience. You should play some lower tier ships, maybe a couple of low tier premiums, and get experience that way. Then once you get up to those tiers you'll have the experience to play those ships well. The usual advice is to only buy premiums ships of the same or lower tier of where you've ground to.

There are a couple of good T5 premiums I can recommend.

Marblehead and Murmansk: Pretty much the same ship, first is US, second is Russian. Light cruisers, explode easily, but fun long range HE spam.

Dunkerque: French T6 BB. 13" guns, all forward arrangement. Bit of an odd ship, but fast and can be fun once you get used to it.

Also available in-game for doubloons are the Texas and Dreadnought, other solid options.

To sum up, don't get carried away with shiny new high tier premiums, because you will be a liability to your team with them. Stick to the low tiers, get some low tier premiums, and grind up. There is way more to the game than high tier ships, so don't feel you have to jump up there. Plenty of fun ships at T6 and T7, and I strongly encourage you to take the time to play not pay your way to high tier. 

i know it will be a struggle if i jump straight to T8, im asking this q

uestion for when i do get to T8, and the secondaris on the tirptiz and massy, what are there max range, i know massy is 11.3k

[DFTR]
Members
72 posts
1,915 battles

i understand everyone that i hav limited battles and knowledge but im just trying to get an idea of what kind of premium ship to buy when i get up to those tiers

[WPORT]
Members
9,777 posts
14,310 battles
3 hours ago, Kensikora said:

1.tirpitz

2.Roma

3.Lenin

4.Alabama

5.Mass

6.Bourgogne

I've got the WOWs version of USS Massachusetts, and I've visited her a couple of times.
She's fun to play and a capable performer.

I also enjoy my Kii.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Kii

I plan to get Tirpitz.  I faced plenty of them during "1 vs. 1 Ranked battles", last year.  The perform well when played well.

I don't have a lot of experience with the others on your list, so I'll refrain from commenting on them.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,087 posts
4,341 battles
16 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

i know it will be a struggle if i jump straight to T8, im asking this q

uestion for when i do get to T8, and the secondaris on the tirptiz and massy, what are there max range, i know massy is 11.3k

Tirp is 10.7 I think. Could be wrong, somewhere around the 11km mark. However there are way more to secondaries than range. The thing that makes German secondaries stand out is the 1/4 pen on their HE as opposed to the 1/6 for USN. That allows them to pen a lot of plating that the Mass can't. But the Mass has higher ROF and much more accurate secondaries. Tradeoffs. The Mass has better guns than Tirp, but Tirp has better armor and torpedoes. Both are good ships. Unfortunately secondary builds are really hard to make work in the current meta, so I'd focus on the non-secondary aspects of BBs.

[NES]
Members
234 posts
5,464 battles

I'd get the Roma. I have it and it's my best ship. I also have the Mass, absolutely hate it and wish I bought the Alabama instead. It doesn't suit my playstyle at all. I like to be concealed and then strike or strike from a distance, not get up close and fight off enemies. Tirpitz and Massachusetts play similarly.  I tried Lenin during that rental event a month or so ago and I didn't like it. Tried Alabama during the rental event as well. Had a real solid game, 150k damage? something like that. Loved it. 

I'd get the Roma, Scharnhorst & Dunkerque. Scharnhorst & Dunkerque so you have two solid premium ships to do the scenarios with and then Roma for random. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,695 posts
10,837 battles
5 hours ago, Kensikora said:

<Snip>

I'm going to rank these in order from least to most recommended.

Bourgogne, tier X French Battleship

hwx6DLu.png&key=70d8356d5b12ac33d42a1f98

• Quick Summary:  Bourgogne is an Alsace-class battleship up-tiered and unnerfed with improvements made to her secondaries, Engine Boost consumable and anti-aircraft firepower.  Like Jean Bart before her, she has access to the Main Battery Reload Booster.
  • Mouse's Take:  Whoa, now.  How did this ship end up my least recommended ship?  It has nothing to do with her power level -- she's quite strong.  It's just that at her 10px-Steel_icon.png  30,000 Steel  price tag, she's not exactly accessible.  If you're somehow sitting on that amount of Steel already, good on you.  Pull that trigger and be done with it.  Otherwise, you're looking at a long grind of several months to a year to afford her.

Alabama, tier VIII American Battleships

tm5yn9R.png&key=19e1c58b865e4ed236ee9c56

• Quick Summary:  A South Dakota-class battleship.  These are similar to the North Carolina, but they trade accuracy for better agility.
  • Mouse's Take:  This is a perfectly reasonable (if kinda boring) battleship.  If you like North Carolina, imagine her with a bit more wiggle in her tush at the expense of some (but not much) accuracy.  That's really the long and the short of it.  There's nothing wrong with her other than being dull, but if you want reliability, here it is.

Roma, tier VIII Italian Battleship

QvuZBlr.png&key=9b50280d5f83e3fdf9b903a8

• Quick Summary:  A gorgeous battleship with incredible AP penetration values, excellent armour and agility.  Unfortunately she's exceedingly unreliable, often overpenetrating targets if her trollish dispersion allows her to hit them in the first place.
  • Mouse's Take:  Roma is one of those ships where in one game, you can do no wrong and carry hard without much effort.  In the next, you can do everything right and come out with a pittance due to RNG.  This is a very unforgiving and frustrating ship to play because of that.  I love her to death, but even she tries my deep reservoirs of patience.  Her 381mm guns just don't behave between ricochets off 27mm armour on cruisers, overpenetrations at ranges of 12km or less and that awful, AWFUL dispersion.

Lenin, tier VIII Soviet Battleship

O1uMwHh.gif&key=7dddb6659886e6ca1d5d6246c87c6de98a55a02244a74fd916395f1326559c3a

• Quick Summary:  A tough, hard hitting battleship with all nine 406mm guns mounted forward-facing akin to HMS Nelson.  The combination of her extended waterline belt, improved hull and deck armour and fast acting Damage Control Party makes her a bow-tanking nightmare to contend with.
  • Mouse's Take:  Her placement on my list is going to be a bit controversial.  She's more powerful than Tirpitz in Random Battles -- or rather, she's potentially more powerful.  However, she's a bit more fussy to use and ultimately less dynamic.  If Co-op is more your jam, then Tirpitz is better hands down.  Lenin is one of the most powerful tier VIII battleships out there because of the combination of her armour profile and gun arrangement. 

Tirpitz, tier VIII German Battleship

AtpYU1d.jpg

• Quick Summary:  A Bismarck-class battleship that trades away her Hydroacoustic Search and some AA firepower for deck mounted torpedoes.
  • Mouse's Take:  Tirpitz offers little in the way of surprises, being exactly what's described on the tin.  She presents the advantage that you can pretty much try her out for free by sailing around in Bismarck for a while and never activating her hydro.  Just try and imagine when you might be able to make use of 6km ranged torpedoes.  That's Tirpitz in a nutshell.  So, simply put:  If you like Bismarck, you'll like Tirpitz. 

If you haven't played Bismarck then things get a little more complicated to describe.  Tirpitz is a fast, tough battleship with mediocre to poor main battery gunnery for a tier VIII battleship.  Her firepower woes come from her gun caliber (380mm) and that she only has eight gun barrels.  The former means that her AP shells ricochet often off of 27mm+ armoured sections of cruisers when they angle which can get super annoying. The latter means that you really feel any woes of dispersion as you don't put out enough volume of fire to afford many bad shots.  Her faster reload (26s) helps but her gunnery still feels a bit lacking.  This is made up for with her excellent secondaries that can really do a number on ships that venture too close.  Properly specialized, you can pepper targets up to 11km away.

Her torpedoes are a gimmick that you won't get to use often outside of Co-Op battles.  In PVE combat and in the rare PVP brawl, they are absolutely amazing.

Massachusetts, tier VIII American Battleship

klSRwc2.jpg&key=5f6b0894a6016dc3e206d6e4

• Quick Summary:  A South Dakota-class battleship that trades main battery firepower accuracy for god-tier secondaries.
  • Mouse's Take:  Take all of the reliability of Alabama, nerf her accuracy a little and give her secondaries that put the fear of god into light cruisers and destroyers.  Massachusetts has very powerful secondaries which, while lacking in penetration, are ridiculously fast-firing and incredibly accurate.  Seriously, it's like having two American destroyers bolted onto each side of the ship, firing away at anything that comes close.  She combines this with reasonably reliable 406mm guns.  Oh, did I mention she has a short reset timer on her Repair Party?  This is easily the safest premium purchase on your list.

Whew, there we go.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 3