You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Better at a ship type that's not the type you wanted to be?

8 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
Members
446 posts
9,951 battles

I've always favored cruisers to battle with. I have more Cruisers in my inventory than BBs but it appears I'm better at playing as a BB than at CAs. I think the slow, sluggish speed and maneuvering of the BBs force me to avoid my tendencies to over extend myself as I do CAs. I tend to get myself too isolated and exposed to multiple enemy fire and with a BB I more frequently finish in the upper tiers of XP earning. Before I trade in my CAs for BBs I'll try to discipline myself more when using CAs -and maybe browse though some BB designs as well.

Anyone else find out they're better with a ship type than the one they really wanted to be.

Members
1,076 posts
12,740 battles

When I first started playing WoWs I thought that I would prefer the slower pace of battleships, so I could look around in between shots, not have to deal with additional ammo types, not get into too much trouble by speeding here and there.  But when I got up to battleships I found that I really did not enjoy them all that much, and was just not all that good with them.  I stuck mostly with cruisers then, since my early attempts to play destroyers were not particularly successful.

About 6 months before the rework I decided to give the RTS carriers a try, despite all the warnings about how the game was totally different, required too much multitasking, etc.  I found that I really did enjoy the RTS CV playstyle, and I did better in CVs than I had in any other type.  Because I came so late to the party I only got up to Tier VI (in both USN and IJN) so I did not get too much of the more complicated flavor of managing great numbers of squadrons, and encountering true masters of strafes and manual drops.  I have no idea if I would have matured as a good CV main, but the rework put the kibosh on that.  I struggle mightily with the rework CVs, and do not enjoy the playstyle much, so I am back to surface ships only.

As I made my way up all the various lines I got around to playing more DDs once I got a little better at the game.  Lo and behold, I found that I had gotten much better with DDs, and enjoyed playing them much more as well.  Now I find my best stats in DDs, at least in the mid-tier ones.  I need to improve in high-tier DD play.

So yeah, I never thought I would like the RTS carriers but I did.  I did not think I would get better at destroyers, but I did.  And I thought that I might be best suited for battleships, but I am not.

[RLGN]
Members
16,168 posts
28,066 battles
36 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

So yeah, I never thought I would like the RTS carriers but I did.  I did not think I would get better at destroyers, but I did.  And I thought that I might be best suited for battleships, but I am not.

Ignored CVs at first, but jumped in feet first with Strike Bogue back when it was 0-2-1, (0-1-2?) in 2016.

Found I liked it, despite zero previous RTS experience, and never really being very good with them in Randoms.

Loved carriers in Co-op though, where my weaknesses didn’t matter as much, and I could just play them and have fun.

All gone now, of course.  Carriers are a chore now, and nothing else.

• Boring 1

Members
139 posts
2,618 battles

My favorite ship type is DD, which I am pretty meh at. My least favorite is BB, I hate the slow rate of fire and bad maneuverability yet I am surprisingly good with them.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles

I consider myself a DD main, yet while grinding for the UU of the Yamato I keep roughly 65% win rate, go wonder.

[WHARF]
Members
425 posts
19,345 battles

same here..when i started i really wanted to play DDs...but turns out i am a CA kind of guy...

[ARP]
Members
807 posts
41,652 battles

I’m much better in DDs then BBs, even tho I love to get all the unlock-able t10 BBs in-game  ......I’m the worst in cruisers, tho cvs.....I have no idea what state I am in.... I’m hoping to be great at submarines tho ;)