Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Smoke duration nerf based on the number of shots fired

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles

I have heard rumors that WG is planning a nerf on the smoke's duration, where the timer will be accelerated each time you fire a shot from inside the smoke.

  • Is this true?
  • If true, when do you think WG is going to implement it?

I just spend a lot on a smoke cruiser and I for one certainly hope it is not true.:Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[TF-64]
Members
563 posts
20,549 battles

That was the original plan for the smoke nerf  They decided to go with a gun bloom by caliber instead. I hope they aren't planning on nerfing smoke again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles
4 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

They decided to go with a gun bloom by caliber

First time hearing this for me. Would like to know more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[TF-64]
Members
563 posts
20,549 battles

Going off memory here so details could be off some, just to be up front. 

Way back around 2 yrs ago smoke dropped vis to 2km for all ships no matter what. Big old BB firing in smoke, still 2km. So kicking around how to fix this the first idea was like you heard to reduce smoke time by shot and fun Calibre. 

It was realized almost instantly this was not gonna work. BBs rolling through could evaporate a smoke cloud with a single volley with the perceived idea. So by accident or intentionally a DDs defense would be instantly gone and be left in a bad way too easily. Also the recently released UK CL line that was designed around using smoke would be pretty well made really weak as a line. 

So they went back to the drawing board and came up with the gun bloom in smoke setup we see now. So if they are to revisit this idea of smoke blowing off, then smoke time duration would have to be revisited as well and that would be an even bigger mess. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,934
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles

I wouldn't mind smoke becoming the defensive tool it was historically instead of the offensive tool it is all too often in the game but I don't think it needs further nerfs otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,681
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,766 posts
21,666 battles
3 hours ago, _Marines said:

First time hearing this for me. Would like to know more.

That change happened quite a long time ago. At one time smoke firing held no concealment penalty for the firing ship, so a Yamato sitting in smoke, firing, would be visible only 2km out. This has long since changed.

I am not aware of any further planned smoke changes.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,755
[NONE]
Members
3,880 posts
11,999 battles

     Of course this would make perfect sense in WG's universe. Guns don't actually create gunsmoke, they absorb it. :Smile_facepalm:

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,763
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,982 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

That change happened quite a long time ago. At one time smoke firing held no concealment penalty for the firing ship, so a Yamato sitting in smoke, firing, would be visible only 2km out. This has long since changed.

I am not aware of any further planned smoke changes.

Yes, DDs would drop some smoke somewhat close to the caps but still out of cap torpedo ranges, and BBs would get in there providing accurate, close range fire.  Bonus if they were a Mega Secondaries Battleship :Smile_veryhappy:

Those were good times! 

 

Things got more creative with USN DD Smoke + BB + Radar Cruiser Division :Smile_glasses:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
833
[--V--]
Members
1,538 posts
14,229 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes, DDs would drop some smoke somewhat close to the caps but still out of cap torpedo ranges, and BBs would get in there providing accurate, close range fire.  Bonus if they were a Mega Secondaries Battleship :Smile_veryhappy:

Those were good times! 

Things got more creative with USN DD Smoke + BB + Radar Cruiser Division :Smile_glasses:

Yes, those were the days!!!   Back when a BB could conceal itself BEHIND a smoke screen and fire undetected,,,,, kinda like they could IRL.   Was it abused?   Yes,,, no doubt.   But it promoted team work and team play.  With the CV Sky Cancer we have today,,,, BBs sitting still behind or in smoke would probably not be as advisable today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[NUWES]
Members
3,426 posts
12,772 battles
9 hours ago, _Marines said:

I have heard rumors that WG is planning a nerf on the smoke's duration, where the timer will be accelerated each time you fire a shot from inside the smoke.

  • Is this true?
  • If true, when do you think WG is going to implement it?

I just spend a lot on a smoke cruiser and I for one certainly hope it is not true.:Smile_hiding:

They tested it years ago and it didn't work. You as a DD lay your smoke, then a teammate BB sails into it, fires his guns twice and wipes out your smoke leaving you with nothing. You can guess why it wasn't implemented. It would also completely neuter the Italian CAs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×