You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

How do you hit a turning ship ?

34 comments in this topic

Members
73 posts
106 battles

Hi

Just working on my aiming but do with some advanced tips ?

I can lead a ship traveling in a straight line - and even found aiming 'short' is sometimes best because spot ship may hit the brakes ! ( French ships & DDs I notice by contrast hit the speed boost )

Got a fair idea on hitting a angled ship  - I lead by only a little bit !

Can even estimate hitting a ship as it disappears behind an island - as long as its still spotted !

Found that when a  ship that weaving away - its better to aim in a straight line where its heading rather than try and guess its micro moves !

But I can not get a handle on a turning ships - It might be turning in towards me or away from me but where I guess I should aim so badly misses its laughable. 

I have heard you should aim on the outside of the turn because a ship slides, as it turns but still not getting the hang of it.

If any one can share their insights about this and any other aiming tip that would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,689 battles

Gonna keep an eye on the responses here because after 22k+ games I still have troubles w/this sometimes.

But on the plus side the best defence against most players is to hit a full rudder turn to avoid hits :-)

CVs in particular could benefit just by spamming the W & either the Q or E key at the start of a match to spin in circles as opposed to just sitting still so if a DD does sneak up on them they have time to finish a plane run as opposed to needing to jump right back to their ship to maneuver.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,646 posts
19,043 battles

I'm terrible at the game, and at aiming in particular, but I seem to get a fair amount of dev strikes by waiting for the enemy ship to start turning before firing.  Once I see where it's going I fire there and let him sail into it. I lead far less for Battleships since most have slow turning circles and lose so much speed in their turns. Brits don't lose their speed as much so I don't lead as much. 

38 Best Archery - MEME images | Archery, Archery hunting, Archery ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts

Hitting a turning moving target is very difficult, both in the game and in real life. This is why modern fire-control systems are computerized. In the absence of a computer, what you really need to do is to shoot enough that you develop an "instinct" and just let your body and mind do the aiming for you.  I'm not making this up -- this is how hunters develop their skills. If you have to get off a round rapidly then you don't have time to estimate distance, assess the speed, vector, and turn radius of the target, then calculate an appropriate lead. What you do is just shoot, and shoot, and shoot some more until you start hitting things. When I was younger and did a lot of bowhunting and target shooting I could throw tennis ball, knock an arrow, and hit it on the move nearly every time. Now I would be hard-pressed to hit one by carefully aiming at it as I've not shot a bow for thirty years. As these are reflex arcs and other neural pathways you are building they also can fade away if unused.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,703 battles

the natural instinct to dodge incoming shells is to brake and turn out, this is where your experience as a player to judge the enemy comes in, if you can judge the enemy as a bit of a noob that is just going to straight line then you aim for that straight line position, if you feel the enemy is experienced and will turn out to evade shells then you want to aim like a diagonal position from where the straight line would have been.

for this demonstration i have drawn an excellent drawing that i expect atleast 40 thumbs up responses for.

5093f9afe7be45c2870889e7208a7436.png

so essentially you are aiming diagonally in the direction from where the straight line position would be to where you think the person will be turning towards.

this isnt a huge adjustment in aiming higher or lower a small amount something that you will have to establish for yourself.

you can trust in me i am the stalingod for o7 as my aim is perfect you may ask anyone in o7 :)

i think @Hapa_Fodder will be pleased by my excellent demonstration.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Cool 23
  • Funny 3

[CNO]
Members
6,608 posts
19,866 battles

Maneuvering targets can be hard to hit.  My philosophy is to just get close and let RNG do the rest.  Note that at a certain range (time of flight), a player's maneuver alone can remove the ship from an aim point.  So I'll often shoot one along track, one short turn track, and one long turn track.  Or...if I have time, shoot one and see which way the ship turns, then follow that turn.

Another thing to think about is that when a ship turns, it is turning a one dimensional thought process into a two dimensional thought process.  This is assuming you've already got the straight line figured out.  As a ship turns toward you, the cross track vector decreases as the aim point along track is shortened.  As a ship turns away from you, the cross track vector decreases as the aim point along track increases.  If you're leading a straight driving ship that suddenly begins a turn, you have to reduce the cross track and adjust the along track.  This might sound obvious, but if you don't "think" about it, there can be a tendency to just adjust along track without reducing cross track.  

It took me a long time to get decent hitting turning targets.  But even then, the enemy captain has a say.  They decide how hard to turn...whether to cut throttle or open up.  So even a PERFECT adjustment based on what you see at the moment of pulling the trigger can be foiled in some instances.  In some sense, RNG actually helps you here as your perfect aim, upset by the enemy captain's maneuver, would have all shells miss if they landed where aimed.  RNG spreads 'em out a bit, and delivers a hit.

Never underestimate the power of RNG to undo the efforts of a master maneuver-er.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[FML]
Members
4,187 posts
16,213 battles
1 hour ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

I can lead a ship traveling in a straight line - and even found aiming 'short' is sometimes best because spot ship may hit the brakes ! ( French ships & DDs I notice by contrast hit the speed boost )

Can even estimate hitting a ship as it disappears behind an island - as long as its still spotted !

Found that when a  ship that weaving away - its better to aim in a straight line where its heading rather than try and guess its micro moves !

But I can not get a handle on a turning ships - It might be turning in towards me or away from me but where I guess I should aim so badly misses its laughable. 

I have heard you should aim on the outside of the turn because a ship slides, as it turns but still not getting the hang of it.

If any one can share their insights about this and any other aiming tip that would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

The short answer is, it comes with practice.  

I realise that's not super helpful for you at the moment, but what I suggest is doing two things: 

• Wait for the enemy ship to complete its turn so that it is showing a more inviting target (ie, is driving broadside to you), as it presents a bigger target to hit and you're more used to shooting such targets.  Just remember to lead a little less as ships tend to be a bit slower when coming out of a turn than if they were cruising at full speed in a straight line.  
  • If the enemy ship is about to drop off detection, or is already 'fading away' in that split second, fire a shot - imagine that the enemy ship is continuing in the circle that it has already started and you've already seen, adjust for some drift (usually no more than half a hull's width worth though), and hope you nail it.  Any damage you've delt (or fires you've set) at that point are still beneficial given the target is no longer spotted.  

Finally, you can sometimes hit a target using the little circle on your minimap where your guns are aiming - particularly if you cannot directly see the enemy ship because its just gone unspotted, or you're in a cyclone, or etc.  But its extremely hard to get reliable hits this way, so I generally do it only when I have nothing to lose.  Sometimes I even hit what I'm shooting at.  

Also, as you are a new player, I have copied some information below that might be of assistance to you.  The videos from iChase go into setting up the 'dynamic crosshair' - which I've found of great assistance in aiming generally.  Good map positioning is also helpful - I have included a basics guide linked in the premium ships thread below, but iChase and others also have produced their own take in their videos.  

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - its worth a read!

[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,850 battles

Mostly its experience and practice.. a lot of practice...

I personally like to wait until the target fully commits to the turn before I shoot.  Not because they might or might not shift rudder and reverse their turn but because the ships even with a fast rudder have momentum.. and even though they are turning the ship is still moving in the previous direction.  I get a lot of hits that way, and take advantage of the fact that ship movement is modeled pretty much physically correct.  ships will lean OUT of the turn and you can pop shell under the armor belt which is where those rare cit hits with HE happen on BB's because you caught them leaned over showing the hull under that belt... some times a full rudder turn is NOT a good idea...:-)

• Cool 2

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,956 battles
2 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Thanks

Try a few rounds in the Training Room with with the Bots not shooting and multiple targets. Wait till they start turning and go blasting. (It's not as good as shooting players, but it helps with the basics.)

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
9,175 battles
8 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

the natural instinct to dodge incoming shells is to brake and turn out, this is where your experience as a player to judge the enemy comes in, if you can judge the enemy as a bit of a noob that is just going to straight line then you aim for that straight line position, if you feel the enemy is experienced and will turn out to evade shells then you want to aim like a diagonal position from where the straight line would have been.

for this demonstration i have drawn an excellent drawing that i expect atleast 40 thumbs up responses for.

5093f9afe7be45c2870889e7208a7436.png

so essentially you are aiming diagonally in the direction from where the straight line position would be to where you think the person will be turning towards.

this isnt a huge adjustment in aiming higher or lower a small amount something that you will have to establish for yourself.

you can trust in me i am the stalingod for o7 as my aim is perfect you may ask anyone in o7 :)

i think @Hapa_Fodder will be pleased by my excellent demonstration.

How much FXP for the gunship?

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I am by ni means an expert, but I’ll offer a different type of advice than most already given.

Use sequential fire (instead of full salvo fire) that way you can shoot at different positions and not just one, sure you have to judge the turn of the enemy but by slightly adjusting each gun firing you can create an envelope of fire all around the intended target’s course.

Sure a hit will deal less damage than if you achieve a full salvo hit, but on the other side a small hit is better than no hit.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles

I once saw a question on how to become a good shot answered with "About ten years, and several carloads of ammunition." While that isn't necessarily the shooting we're talking about here (although skeet and trap shooting will help develop your judgement on leading and are fun into the bargain), it's valid in suggesting that there is no substitute for practice. There is also no substitute for knowing your ships' gun arcs, and that too only comes with time and practice.

Remember: YOU ARE NOT AIMING AT WHERE THE SHIP IS; YOU ARE AIMING FOR WHERE YOU ESTIMATE IT'S GOING TO BE WHEN THE SHELLS HAVE FINISHED TRAVELLING THE DISTANCE. 

[OO7]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,893 posts
11,228 battles

"Aim less, predict more."

Bar the blahz-ism, hitting a maneuvering ship at range comes down to understanding both what the player will do and what the ship they're sailing will do.  Some ships dodge in certain ways, and players will also get in the habit of dodging in certain ways, not to mention how each ship handles individually.  Trying to figure that out is what enemies will do is important, as well as understanding things like how much your target will drift when it turns.  A good example is Smolensks, when they get spotted while moving often they will slam on the brakes and hit the smoke, so you can predict that and aim for your shells to hit him right as it stops in the smoke.  The running lights and navigator mods (in aslain's and WG's modstation) also help as you can see minute changes before they become obvious.

• Cool 3

[TNG-3]
Members
59 posts
24,898 battles

Just keep practicing and when you think you've got it figured out, practice some more. It's experience in the game with particular ships that teaches you how to shoot well. I will say that all the firearm experience i have in real life has certainly made it easier to figure out leading targets in game.

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles

Good advice above. One other thing is sometimes I will hold my fire and watch how the target is maneuvering to get see if there is a pattern (constantly slows or always turns out). By waiting a bit and observing it can really pay off

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,703 battles
3 hours ago, Tigermaus said:

How much FXP for the gunship?

its russian so it is very strong i would say $310 or 2.1 million free xp

• Funny 2

[-1]
Members
814 posts
11,871 battles

I'd say depends on your guns. If you have guns with fast reload and light shells there is not much you can do--just start shooting and adjust based on how target reacts. With BB guns that have long reload and heavy strike it may be a good idea to just wait a bit when your target will start showing broadside so you won't have to hit turning target in the first place.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
16 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I'm terrible at the game, and at aiming in particular, but I seem to get a fair amount of dev strikes by waiting for the enemy ship to start turning before firing.  Once I see where it's going I fire there and let him sail into it. I lead far less for Battleships since most have slow turning circles and lose so much speed in their turns. Brits don't lose their speed as much so I don't lead as much. 

38 Best Archery - MEME images | Archery, Archery hunting, Archery ...

Love the meme

• Funny 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I still have trouble and turning targets but I have been getting significantly better.  I first see if there is terrain anywhere around the turning ship.  If so, I have to think, "What would I do?"  Would I turn broadside to avoid terrain?  If so, aim at the waterline and predict when the exact point he shows the most broadside.  When you lead the shots, make sure you don't aim too far ahead because a ship slows down when turning.   Don't fire too early because the shells will arrive to early as when she is turning and cause a bounce.  Patience is absolute key which is something I had to learn in this game.  Why would I shoot too early, where there is a higher chance of bouncing, when i can wait a few more seconds for a more higher chance and damaging shots?

Now when the target is turning away from broadside, I look at the very tip of the target ship.  Which way the bow is facing and which direction is it going.   If the bow is going away from you and turning left, aim above the ship (a generous amount) and towards the left.  The amount of horizontal correction is dependent on how fast the ship is turning.   Faster the ship, the more left you need to aim (but not too much). 

I am no unicum player but I tried to put it in the best words that helped me

• Cool 1

Members
1,598 posts
18,415 battles

Lot's of excellent advice above. I don't know how good a tip it'll be because there are many variables in gun types and ships and player tactics which is learned through experience but this is a trick I like to use and it seems to work. If the target is turning away from you aim a little high and if the ship is turning into you aim low and a little back.

[WPORT]
Members
9,988 posts
14,444 battles
20 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

How do you hit a turning ship ?

By Dano07_,

As hard as I can with whatever I've got.  :-)

[NSEW]
Members
2,484 posts
12,063 battles

When I started out in this game some years ago.   I was under the impression that the aiming circle was a circle, not knowing that it was actually an ellipse.   That is one major factor that assisted with my aiming in the long run.

Second factor that helped was knowing the default speed of the ships (there are mods out there to help you, instead of memorising of them), and using their smoke trail from the smoke stacks.  To guess the speed, or acceleration/deceleration. 

Thirdly, the your own ships shell speed/behaviours.  Some ships have a slower AP shell speed vs HE. Some ships require you to aim little more than others ahead of the target, some right on the enemy ship speed (flatter arcs, fast shell speeds; ergo Soviets ships). 

To me those three factors helped me to get hits on target with more consistency than most.  

Oh, and the longer the ship is the wider it is to take a full turn at full speed.  So keep that in mind.   I usually wait until the ship commits to a turn, and it's 'stuck' in its own maneuver path. Then, and only then do I fire off a full salvo at the ships weak points.  This is why Henry (or other fast French ships) were hard to hit when they were using speed to dodge the shells.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,923 battles

You just have to anticipate where the target is turning to. Some  :etc_swear: are very good at avoiding being hit while zig-zagging & turning. You just have to 'guesstimate' where the target will be moving to. :cap_look:

[DRAH]
Members
432 posts
10,778 battles

I find it best to aim as if it is a straight moving angled target but aim short on the side you think it is turning to.

• Cool 1