You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

World of Warships Proposal: HMS Incomparable

11 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles

World of Warships Proposal: HMS Incomparable

What it is: Another 20 inch armed Battleship ( er, battlecruiser ) at Tier 10. Or it could end up being one of Fisher’s ,*ahem*, typical exploding powder kegs ( Remember somebody? I’m NOT talking about the Hood )

image.png.20adf962d98fec4ed29a6b68daac4a3d.png

GIT ON ME LEVEL, GERMANY!

What Context it has: HMS Incomparable was perhaps the most ridiculous battleship design of the Great War, perhaps only surpassed in sheer size (and stupidity) by the Tillman Maximum Battleships. Armed with 20 inch guns, this would certainly serve the interest of adding much bigger guns into the game. Hey, if Wargaming walked back on the promise that they wouldn’t add guns bigger than Yamato’s guns into the game, who says we can’t? The Incomparable will be the Research Bureau counterpart to the Shikishima, sort of like how the Ohio is the Research Bureau Counterpart to the Thunderer

Armor

• HP Pool: 76,600
  • Torpedo Belt Damage Reduction: 25%
  • Armor Plating: 32mm Bow and Stern
  • Main armor belt: 320mm
  • Upper Belt: 102mm
  • Deck armor: 32mm
  • Superstructure armor: 19mm
  • Transverse Bulkhead armor: 250mm
  • Turret Armor: 234mm - 356mm, 419mm Turret face.
  • Citadel Location: Above Waterline

Okay, so, not great for a battleship, at ALL. Incomparable is, of course, based upon a design from World War I, and Jacky Fisher expected that this ship would use it’s superior speed to counteract the lack of armor. Nevertheless, we are going to assume that the ship has been built and that it receives a series of  improvements to it’s armor scheme, of course, assuming that it survived to see World War 2. The big weakness, of course, isn’t the 32mm plating, but the fact that it has some rather obvious weakpoints in it’s side armor where it can easily get cracked open like a nut by any ship with big enough guns. The turrets are fairly well armored, and the upper belt armor is tough enough to take heavy caliber fire at longer ranges, where this ship wants to be. The increased armor also leads to a higher theoretical displacement of around 55,000 tons, which leads to an HP pool of 76,600 HP, using @Fr05ty's formual for battleship HP pools. Overall, it’s half decent, but still quite weak. Thankfully, it has the usual British gimmick that saves it’s rear end from total humiliation.

Armaments

Primary Armament: 3 x 2 BL 20 inch

• Turret Layout: Forward Stagger ( AB-X)
  • Maximum Firing Range: 23.5km
  • HE Shell: 9400 Alpha, 67% Fire chance, 127mm penetration, 732 m/s velocity
  • AP Shell: 19,000 Alpha, 80mm arming threshold, 45* - 60* Autobounce angles, 732 m/s shell velocity, 0.015 second arming time.
  • Dispersion: British Battleship, 2.0 sigma
  • Reload Time: 28 seconds
  • Turret Traverse: 4*/sec ( 45 sec/180*)

Secondary Armament: 10 x 2 113mm/45 BD Mk II

• Turret Layout: Balanced Wing ( 5 per side 3 forward, 2 aft )
  • Maximum Firing Range: 6.5km
  • HE Shell: 1700 Alpha, 5% Fire Chance, 792 m/s shell velocity, 19mm penetration
  • Dispersion: Japanese Battleship Secondary dispersion
  • Reload Time: 4.0 seconds

So, Incomparable appears fairly standard for British Battleships. Of course, we are going with the assumption that this gargantuan vessel received a total refit, around 1943 or 44, where she would have had all of her 102mm and 3-pounder secondary artillery replaced by the standard British secondary armament. However, she instead receives the same secondary armament that makes up Renown's armament, which also massively boosts her long range AA defense. A secondary build is possible, but not recommended, due to her poor armor. Of course, it’s not the secondaries that make this ship, but the primaries. Her HE shells are brutal, packing a whopping 9400 alpha damage and massive amounts of penetration. Her AP shells are also massively powerful, with similar damage output to the Shikishima. The firing range is shorter, and the reload is a second slower, but the Incomparable also has lower vertical dispersion and a shorter AP arming time, not to mention the fact that it has a much faster turret traverse than the Shikishima. Overall, it is certainly quite rounded out for what it is. Just remember that it only has 6 primary armament guns, which means that missed shots will hurt more often than not.

AA Defense

Long Range AA: 10 x 2 113mm/45 BD Mk II

• Damage per Flak Burst: 1,610 
  • Flak Bursts per salvo: 5+1
  • RoF: 5 seconds
  • Range: 6.0km
  • Aura DPS: 118.8

Medium Range: 12 x 2 40mm Bofors, 6 x 2 76.2mm Mk VI 

• Range: 4.0km
  • RoF: 0.29 seconds
  • Aura DPS: 648

Access to DFAA: No

So, fairly typical of most high-tier ships, the Incomparable has a total lack of short-range AA defenses, which is compensated for by a ridiculous midrange ring and a fairly decent long range ring. Of course, the typical weaknesses of the British auxiliary armaments make themselves known here, those weaknesses being the fact that these mounts have very low durability and are clustered all around the superstructure. That being said, Incomparable should be capable of fending off lower-tier CV attacks, but equal tier carriers should be capable of striking her with little difficulty.

Maneuverability

• Top Speed: 35 knots
  • Turning radius: 1,210 meters ( ! )
  • Rotation rate: 3.5*/sec
  • Rudder Shift: 24 seconds
  • Acceleration: Standard Battleship
  • List: 6.5*

Again, numbers outsourced from my friend. While Incomparable is STONKING fast for a battleship ( *ahem* battlecruiser… ), at 35 knots, the 1,150 meter turning radius makes this perhaps the clumsiest warship in the game, even clumsier than some carriers. Not helping it is an incredibly long rudder shift of over 21 seconds, which gives the ship an extreme weakness when trying to run away, especially considering the fact that this ship has the same high-water citadel that all the other Royal Navy battleships from Tier VIII onwards have. The legendary module that this ship has can only help with keeping that in check, but even that is a lost cause if you try to play this like a Thunderer or something else with a wiggly rudder and radius.

Stealth

• Surface Detection Radius: 17.6km (+2km on fire )
  • Aerial Detection Radius: 10.5km (+3km on fire )
  • Smoke Firing Penalty: 19.8km /15.5km
  • Assured Detection Radius: 2.0km

What the heck is this? A non-stealthy British Battleship. What has this world come to!? 

*Ahem* Sorry about that. Of course, that detection radius isn’t unwarranted. The Incomparable, according to her design parameters, was supposed to be 1,000 feet long, on the nose. That, combined with the typical bridge design that Jacky Fisher gave his warships, results in the least stealthy British Battleship ( er, battlecruiser ) seen in the entire line. Of course, again, the legendary module helps with that, but only just. There’s nothing more to be said about it.

Build and Consumables

Modules

• Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1
  • Slot 2: Damage Control System Modification 1
  • Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1
  • Slot 4: Damage Control System Modification 2
  • Slot 5: Concealment Systems Modification 1
  • Slot 6: Legendary Upgrade: Enhanced Machine Systems

Commander Skills

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent
  • Concealment Expert
  • Jack of All Trades
  • Basics of Survivability
  • Fire Prevention

Flags

• November Echo Setteseven
  • India Delta
  • Sierra Mike
  • India Yankee
  • Juliet Yankee Bissotwo
  • Victor Lima
  • Various Economic Flags and Signals

Legendary Upgrade: Enhanced Machine Systems

• -20% To Rudder Shift
  • -15% To Turret Traverse
  • -10% To Concealment 
  • +10% To Main Battery Reload 
  • -15% To Main Battery Maximum Firing Range

Consumables ( In order by slot, left to right )

•  Damage Control Party: 15 second action time, 120 / 80 Reset
  • Repair Party: 20 second action time, 2.0% HP / Sec, 90 / 60 Reset, 3 Charges Base
  • Maneuverability Booster: 300 Second Action Time, +2.5% To Top Speed, -5% to Rudder Shift Time, -10% to Acceleration, 600 / 540 Reset, 1 charge base.

Not much to write about in terms of standard equipment. However, Incomparable does receive a legendary module that improves her maneuverability and stealth (though at the cost of the reload and firing range of her main battery guns), and Incomparable also receives a unique consumable, which improves the ship’s general responsiveness during combat actions.

So, what about the price? Well, given that the Shikishima is going to be in the armory for Steel, I say why not stick her in the Research Bureau? Perhaps for the same price as the Ohio, or a little more, around 62,500 Research Points. Alternatively, one could also purchase her using real money in the form of bundles. I’m sure Makito Kobayashi could come up with a camo for this ship, like how he came up with the camos for Yamato, Kii, and Roma. In terms of camo schemes, Incomparable will use something similar to Vanguard or Thunderer. 

Welp

THAT’S ALL, FOLKS!

:SerB:

@Lert, @LittleWhiteMouse , I'm curious to see what you think.

• Cool 5

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
867 posts
7,298 battles

This ship has been proposed a number of times, first all the way back in 2012 here: 

Some of the folk in that thread are still around.  Cool read when u consider how the game has progressed since then

• Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles
12 minutes ago, missile742 said:

This ship has been proposed a number of times, first all the way back in 2012 here: 

Wait a moment.

I thought that World of Warships was released way back when in 2015. Yet you say the first thread on this was initially proposed way back in 2012. Based upon that, I have to ask " How long was the game in Closed Alpha?"

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,670 battles
1 hour ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

" How long was the game in Closed Alpha?"

About three years from first wave closed alpha, that I was a part of. :) .... yes, I've been here 8 years.

As for the suggestion - you've put a lot of work in to it while taking it quite seriously, and that alone warrants a +1 in my book. I haven't done any math or crunched any numbers so I don't really have an opinion on how viable the idea is, but all in all I do quite like it.

Well done!

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,308 battles

Here some design, the last one being the modernized one.

HMS_Incomparable_Project-1916.png

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
9,029 posts
16,290 battles

I like the proposal, though of the paper ships we could see for the RN, Incomparable is not high up on the list.

I think she's probably too lacking in firepower to be competitive, Shikishima has battlecruiser dispersion and faster reload, and probably the better shells. Thunderer has a 4th turret, battlecruiser accuracy, faster reload and just lacks overmatch, which is offset by 30mm overmatch and the HE.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,450 posts
1,963 battles
On 5/4/2020 at 1:42 AM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Wait a moment.

I thought that World of Warships was released way back when in 2015. Yet you say the first thread on this was initially proposed way back in 2012. Based upon that, I have to ask " How long was the game in Closed Alpha?"

Forum first came online in August 2012, I believe?   

November 2012 it split into EU/NA.   

Rather like Lert, I've been here the entire time, which is why I can be a bit shirty at times. 

Still, you've put a lot of thought into this, so this isn't one of those times. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
547 posts
11,983 battles

You wish is granted:

British battleship Incomparable, Tier X

A 1915 design for a gigantic fast battlecruiser, armed with six 508-mm guns in three turrets. Incomparable has low concealment and slim armor.

Detailed characteristics of the new ships will be announced later.

phpoFogla

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary. Announced adjustments and features may change multiple times during testing. The final information will be published on our game's website.

• Cool 1

[CYN1C]
[CYN1C]
Members
318 posts
5,566 battles

Holy crap! They are also bringing the German Battlecruisers!

I am guessing the British ain't that far behind, and the Incomparable is just a teaser for it.

Here is the dev blog announcement

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles
13 hours ago, Illustratum_AEternam said:

You wish is granted:

British battleship Incomparable, Tier X

A 1915 design for a gigantic fast battlecruiser, armed with six 508-mm guns in three turrets. Incomparable has low concealment and slim armor.

Detailed characteristics of the new ships will be announced later.

phpoFogla

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary. Announced adjustments and features may change multiple times during testing. The final information will be published on our game's website.

I got the news this morning and I was like

Now hang on a second you cannot be serious

They were

- Potato

• Cool 1