Sign in to follow this  
SKurj

New PC Build... z490?

8 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,390 posts

So since xmas time I have been slowly collecting parts for my next pc...

Today I ordered MOBO and memory....  only to find out a couple hours later of the new intel processors coming and z490 chipsets...

My original plan was a gigabyte z390 gaming x with a either an i7-9700k or an i5-9600k pending funds...   now i am wondering if i should just cancel the mobo order, and take my time and try to get my hands on the next gen which apparently are lower priced than the current 9th gen..

I think now my only options are to go i7-9700k and forget the i5... or wait for 10th gen..  i just am concerned with everything else going on, perhaps stock on cpu's and the new mobo's won't really appear much before xmas 2020...

Thoughts?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,808 posts
21,738 battles

What do you want to use the PC for? Ryzen is a very good and cost effective / efficient solution for most tasks, and almost on par in pure gaming performance as well.

[WORX]
Members
13,334 posts
20,173 battles

No mention of the other important components... IF you're going long term, make sure you get 32GB of RAM...

@Snargfargle

What do you think of his idea ??? What do you suggest from an electrical POV???

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,239 posts

second the idea suggesting going AMD this round, plus new 4k series chips coming later this year. more bang for the buck :)

new Intel stuff is ok but they really bumped power up to get those numbers, read heat and electricity consumption

trying to stretch my old box til xmas 21 and 5k series lol ...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,268 posts
19 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No mention of the other important components... IF you're going long term, make sure you get 32GB of RAM...

@Snargfargle

What do you think of his idea ??? What do you suggest from an electrical POV???

If you are really into video production and plan to use professional video editing and rendering software then by all means get 32 GB RAM. Otherwise, 16 GB is more than sufficient. 8 GB is probably the lower limit now but it still is adequate for most gaming, unless you have a whole bunch of other processes running at the same time.

Don't get too caught up in new chipsets because the hardware keeps evolving every few months. You can pay hundreds less for a perfectly good system by getting a motherboard with an older chipset. In fact, you don't usually want to jump on the new chipset bandwagon because there are always going to be hardware, firmware, and software bugs associated with it. I usually look for at least revision 2.1 before I buy a motherboard.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WORX]
Members
13,334 posts
20,173 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

If you are really into video production and plan to use professional video editing and rendering software then by all means get 32 GB RAM. Otherwise, 16 GB is more than sufficient. 8 GM is probably the lower limit now.

Don't get too caught up in new chipsets because the hardware keeps evolving every few months. You can pay hundreds less for a perfectly good system by getting a motherboard with an older chipset. In fact, you don't usually want to jump on the new chipset bandwagon because there are always going to be hardware, firmware, and software bugs associated with it. I usually look for at least revision 2.1 before I buy a motherboard.

lol I meant what do you think of his idea not mine... But hey nice input too :Smile_Default:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,808 posts
21,738 battles

Another benefit of AMD is platform longevity. Although AM4 is a few years old now, the next generation Ryzen will very likely still run on it. Unlike Intel which had like 3 platform changes in that time.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,390 posts

I use it for web conferencing (work) possibly VR (sim racing) and gaming and that's it.

I am sticking with Intel, 16gb memory for now, 2x pcie ssd's, 850w psu, hopefully a 2070 super.

My current system is a quad i7, but at least 5-6 yrs old now so time for an upgrade.  I've been building my own since the 90's

Not here to get my choices questioned... more about time to store i suppose of the new boards and cpu's if anyone is in the know... 

Sign in to follow this