You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

DE on Worcester after IFHE

31 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
1,137 posts

I have IFHE on my Worcester Captain.  DE adds another 2% fire chance.  Does IFHE reduce the fire chance after DE has been applied, basically reducing the 2% fire chance?  Can somebody explain how this works, or do I just have this wrong.  This is for the last three points on my Captain  before he hits 19.  

Screenshot (13).png

Edited by Captain_Rawhide
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,791 posts
21,701 battles

IFHE comes before DE.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,694 posts
23,782 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Much thanks,

Use your 3 points elsewhere,  your ROF makes up for fire chance

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,521 posts
6,405 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I wondered about that.  Thanks.

Keep in mind, in your choosing, that DE does provide the full 2% to fire chance.  IFHE has no effect on that. Now, of course, your target's innate fire resistance does affect it, so against a Tier X it is really a 1% increase in fire chance because Tier Xs have a base 50% fire resistance.

[O7]
Members
730 posts
23,187 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I have IFHE on my Worcester Captain.  DE adds another 2% fire chance.  Does IFHE reduce the fire chance after DE has been applied, basically reducing the 2% fire chance?  Can somebody explain how this works, or do I just have this wrong.  This is for the last three points on my Captain  before he hits 19.  

Screenshot (13).png

This is the universal build for Wooster: 

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000010000001100010000119

Use the remaining 2 points as you see fit.  Always take DE on ships of this type as there is never "enough" fire chance.

• Cool 1

Members
1,728 posts
11,839 battles

DE and flags come after IFHE cuts your fire chance in half. 

I can never make up my mind on if DE is worth it in the higher tiers.  With all the various fire% reducing stuff, DE loses a lot of value.  You are also relying on RNG to be nice.  Granted, this does help make RNG more likely to be nice.  It's usefulness does increase with faster ROF ships. 

With that all out of the way.  Outside of SI, what else would you take that is worth 3 points, if not DE?  BFT is meh.  Vig is ok if you plan on spotting a lot of torps early with or without hydro.(like sitting in smoke)   Using BFK's build, JOAT is the best 2 pointer left imo.  You could get 2 1 point skills. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,521 posts
6,405 battles
2 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

I can never make up my mind on if DE is worth it in the higher tiers.  With all the various fire% reducing stuff, DE loses a lot of value.  You are also relying on RNG to be nice.  Granted, this does help make RNG more likely to be nice.  It's usefulness does increase with faster ROF ships.

Rate of fire and hit rate increases at higher tiers also give DE more value, which balances out the higher innate fire resistance ships have.  If fire resistance didn't go up and all else remained as is in the game, the high tiers would be a constant inferno with fire completely over the top.

Members
7,122 posts
22,675 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Screenshot (13).png

You may or may not know that at tier ten your DE skill of +2% fire chance is really only 1%   All tier ten ships have a baked in 50% chance of catching fire reduction implemented by the game. I am generalizing but at tier 9 it's 45%, tier 8, 40%

It's so damn frustrating that I can't take a ship to the training room and test builds without spending 1,000 doubloons or 380,000 Elite captains xp to change captains skills and change them back

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
1 hour ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

It's so damn frustrating that I can't take a ship to the training room and test builds without spending 1,000 doubloons or 380,000 Elite captains xp to change captains skills and change them back

PTS is the only solution. Plenty of commanders (& doubloons) to play around with.

• Cool 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,675 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

PTS is the only solution. Plenty of commanders (& doubloons) to play around with.

I never thought of that. Good idea. I hate spending time and losing the results that may build my fleet...aka PTS... 

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
1 minute ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

I never thought of that. Good idea. I hate spending time and losing the results that may build my fleet...aka PTS... 

While you're spending that time may as well do it in other modes than training room & farm some of the rewards.

Members
7,122 posts
22,675 battles
47 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

While you're spending that time may as well do it in other modes than training room & farm some of the rewards.

Ya, in theory. Every time I try to get a training room they are full. They few times I tried PTS it's 85% Bots. Maybe there is a better way, but my time also has value. A lot more than 25 flags.

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Ya, in theory. Every time I try to get a training room they are full. They few times I tried PTS it's 85% Bots. Maybe there is a better way, but my time also has value. A lot more than 25 flags.

I was thinking you can practice builds on bots in co-op just as easily as bots in TRs....or even on humans in random as most aren't very skilled & are just farming rewards (whereas the more skilled players have a bank of stashed rewards & don't need to farm the PTS for more).

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
13,134 battles
4 hours ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

This is the universal build for Wooster: 

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000010000001100010000119

Use the remaining 2 points as you see fit.  Always take DE on ships of this type as there is never "enough" fire chance.

This is my Wooster set up Captain.

image.thumb.jpeg.027161b2d6ce78d95eda454e3885e404.jpeg

Members
7,122 posts
22,675 battles
45 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I was thinking you can practice builds on bots in co-op just as easily as bots in TRs....or even on humans in random as most aren't very skilled & are just farming rewards (whereas the more skilled players have a bank of stashed rewards & don't need to farm the PTS for more).

remember the key issue, to change a build is very expensive, to change it back is also expensive...….

[KIA-C]
Members
3,817 posts
16,745 battles

I personnally removed IFHE from Worcester and play with a fire build. I can pen 30mm without IFHE which is enough to melt cruisers and if I face BB with more than 37mm armour (which is quite common at this tier with German BB, soviet BB , USN and IJN deck armour) I don't have the fire chance penalty from IFHE and can set multiple fire.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,201 battles
22 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Use your 3 points elsewhere,  your ROF makes up for fire chance

Maybe before the nerf, but now I'd definitely recommend getting DE if using IFHE.

[-1]
Members
813 posts
11,821 battles
18 hours ago, DeadIyArT said:

This is my Wooster set up Captain.

image.thumb.jpeg.027161b2d6ce78d95eda454e3885e404.jpeg

Really? Throwing away John Doe like that?

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,694 posts
23,782 battles
1 hour ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Maybe before the nerf, but now I'd definitely recommend getting DE if using IFHE.

I'm not recommending ifhe

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

image.png.d09d3f17b73421f90a318567e2247826.png

I'm considering a build of Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, Survivability Expert, IFHE, Concealment, Radio Location and Preventative Maintenance.

Going from 45,400 HP up to 48,900 is nice. DE is such a minimal bonus at Tier 10. Adrenaline Rush because there's nothing better and Radio Locating is the one thing that can give larger ships the ability to influence the thought process of an enemy DD beyond the threat of being radar'd.

The Worcester is already a good ship with a minimal captain build. You only really need IFHE to make it work. Everything else is a nice boost topping.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
13,134 battles
2 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Really? Throwing away John Doe like that?

yep. i have alot of US captains with 19 points and almost all of them are just like John Doe. Neath the bonus skills at the end of the line where need. And grind out a second 19 point Capt. For just one T10 is a waste of time.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,201 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I'm not recommending ifhe

I would have to disagree with that recommendation.  You're trading guaranteed pen damage for possible fire damage, which is particularly bad if you're engaging other cruisers.  I'm a cruiser main and I've run into several non-IFHE Worcesters and it was pretty hilarious.  Last time this happened I was playing Goliath and she just laughs at fire damage.

[-1]
Members
813 posts
11,821 battles
23 minutes ago, DeadIyArT said:

yep. i have alot of US captains with 19 points and almost all of them are just like John Doe. Neath the bonus skills at the end of the line where need. And grind out a second 19 point Capt. For just one T10 is a waste of time.

I'm not sure if I was clear enough but John Doe has a couple of improved skills and you use none of them. And that's what makes him to stand out from the crowd of the other 19pt caps.

• Cool 1