Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Pyotr Velikiy and Izmail

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
395 posts

If I was going to stop my grind's at tier 5 or 6, is there any big differences between the two? At first look there does not seem to be big changes between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles
33 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

If I was going to stop my grind's at tier 5 or 6, is there any big differences between the two? At first look there does not seem to be big changes between the two.

The Pyotr Velikiy plays pretty standard as far as battleships are concerned, but the Izmael is the oddball of the Russian line.  It's a bit non-standard in that it's a 1-turret-forward + 3-turrets-rear configuration, and this throws players off.  Whereas all the other Russian battleships are great bow tankers, the Izmael is better with your booty to the wind and kiting away.  They're really quite different ships.

Russian BB's T5, T7-T10 are all basically the same ships.  Except the Izmael.  =)

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
395 posts
3 minutes ago, Ranari said:

The Pyotr Velikiy plays pretty standard as far as battleships are concerned, but the Izmael is the oddball of the Russian line.  It's a bit non-standard in that it's a 1-turret-forward + 3-turrets-rear configuration, and this throws players off.  Whereas all the other Russian battleships are great bow tankers, the Izmael is better with your booty to the wind and kiting away.  They're really quite different ships.

Russian BB's T5, T7-T10 are all basically the same ships.  Except the Izmael.  =)

So if I was not going past tier 6, getting the Izmail would kind be a waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[H2O]
Members
57 posts
11,778 battles

One big difference is at tier 6 you can face tier 7 & 8 vs 6 & 7 ships. Since there usually small increases in capability you may do better in the lower tier. Stay at the tier you feel more comfortable at and learn better techniques. There is some lines where the mid tiers have some really meth ships. Also tier 6 ships are used in operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
395 posts
4 minutes ago, irish8644 said:

One big difference is at tier 6 you can face tier 7 & 8 vs 6 & 7 ships. Since there usually small increases in capability you may do better in the lower tier. Stay at the tier you feel more comfortable at and learn better techniques. There is some lines where the mid tiers have some really meth ships. Also tier 6 ships are used in operations.

It's not about what tier I feel comfortable at. I just don't play enough to justify long grinds. The post was about the differences of the two ships.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,621
[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles

The Velikiy is a cut-and-paste Kongo with differences in her armour profile and the obvious dispersion curve of the guns; the Izmail is a much more capable and lethal Gangut.

Operations have had their XP and credit yields nerfed, but they are still a way of stretching your legs in Tier 6 and 7 ships if you don't want to face Tier 8 or 9.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,250
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,302 posts

Both are fun ships, but Pyotr can be a b#tch when uptiered due to it's short range, and the RU issue with accuracy at longer distances, up close though it is great !! :)

Izmail, i loved it!  It takes a few games to get the hang of the weird gun layout but once you pre-position your guns and plan your moves it is just lovely.  At short to medium ranges it really hits hard and so long as you don't show side it uptiers OK too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
436
[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
757 posts
26,539 battles

Izmail used properly is a monster...just be mindful of her armor profile..shes a battlecruiser and is not as tanky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,075
[MISRY]
Members
934 posts
6,823 battles

Izmail is a beast against same tier and capable when uptiered.  I don't normally keep low to mid tier ships but that is one I still have. Wrecks in operations and ranked sprints. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,185 posts
12,723 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Velikiy is a cut-and-paste Kongo with differences in her armour profile and the obvious dispersion curve of the guns; the Izmail is a much more capable and lethal Gangut.

Operations have had their XP and credit yields nerfed, but they are still a way of stretching your legs in Tier 6 and 7 ships if you don't want to face Tier 8 or 9.

Agree with this. She’s a good boat just different. I wouldn’t let that stop you from getting her as she is strong but that’s your choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,762
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,849 posts
25,977 battles

Stopping at Tier V-VI in the RU BB Line is a tragedy.  You are missing out on Tier VII+ where the Line becomes monstrous.

VII Sinop can be thought of as The Best Tier VII Battleship right now.

VIII Vlad the Impaler and IX Sovetsky Soyuz are solid.

Then capping it all is the monster at Tier X, Kremlin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
2 hours ago, wildcat18 said:

If I was going to stop my grind's at tier 5 or 6, is there any big differences between the two? At first look there does not seem to be big changes between the two.

Pyotr Velikiy can bounce T10 shells.
Izmail can't even bounce Destroyer AP.

Pyotr Velikiy can win a brawl against a Scharnhorst
Izmail will suffer fighting a Mouse.

~Hunter

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,894
[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Stopping at Tier V-VI in the RU BB Line is a tragedy.  You are missing out on Tier VII+ where the Line becomes monstrous.

VII Sinop can be thought of as The Best Tier VII Battleship right now.

VIII Vlad the Impaler and IX Sovetsky Soyuz are solid.

Then capping it all is the monster at Tier X, Kremlin.

I have to agree with this.  At least give the Sinop a go, @wildcat18, because at T7 its very strong.  The grind to the T8 Vladivostok is so fast blink and you'll miss it, and the T8 plays quite similarly except its more powerful. 

Plus, the T6 can be used in Operations quite effectively, as most Operations battle is close quaters where Soviet battleships shine.  

But, whatever you think is the most fun is right for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Stopping at Tier V-VI in the RU BB Line is a tragedy.  You are missing out on Tier VII+ where the Line becomes monstrous.

VII Sinop can be thought of as The Best Tier VII Battleship right now.

VIII Vlad the Impaler and IX Sovetsky Soyuz are solid.

Then capping it all is the monster at Tier X, Kremlin.

I disagree with Vladi. Sinop is tier for tier, a hundred times better.

Sovetsky Soyuz was great though.

~Hunter

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,250
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,302 posts
4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I have to agree with this.  At least give the Sinop a go, @wildcat18, because at T7 its very strong.  The grind to the T8 Vladivostok is so fast blink and you'll miss it, and the T8 plays quite similarly except its more powerful. 

Plus, the T6 can be used in Operations quite effectively, as most Operations battle is close quaters where Soviet battleships shine.  

But, whatever you think is the most fun is right for you.  

Both good points...  I'd keep as many Tier 6's as you can stand if only just for coop and operations...  and Sinop is easy to play, and when it clicks... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,178
[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,777 posts
37,461 battles

You have been shown the differences (I have both).

One other major difference (mentioned above)) is that T6 gets to play in Ops whilst T5 does not.

Ops are still fun and still pay very decently (even after credit nerf). Not having at least one T6 for them (and a T7 for Narai, the best Op) is not a good idea in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,359
[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,348 posts
4,747 battles
13 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I have to agree with this.  At least give the Sinop a go, @wildcat18, because at T7 its very strong.  The grind to the T8 Vladivostok is so fast blink and you'll miss it, and the T8 plays quite similarly except its more powerful. 

Plus, the T6 can be used in Operations quite effectively, as most Operations battle is close quaters where Soviet battleships shine.  

But, whatever you think is the most fun is right for you.  

Vladi may be stat-wise stronger, but it's impact in the game is less than Sinop's impact in Tier 7. I'd much rather play my Lenin over Vladi.

~Hunter

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
101
[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
198 posts
11,048 battles
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

Both are fun ships, but Pyotr can be a b#tch when uptiered due to it's short range, and the RU issue with accuracy at longer distances, up close though it is great !! :)

Izmail, i loved it!  It takes a few games to get the hang of the weird gun layout but once you pre-position your guns and plan your moves it is just lovely.  At short to medium ranges it really hits hard and so long as you don't show side it uptiers OK too...

I had a match yesterday against a KGV and Mogami at short range by myself.  While I was eventually killed, I roughed up both ships to the point where the CV was able to dispatch both ships. It can hold its own when uptiered and you should run away if you face one.  It hits hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles
42 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Vladi may be stat-wise stronger, but it's impact in the game is less than Sinop's impact in Tier 7. I'd much rather play my Lenin over Vladi.

~Hunter

So true. 

Sinop has been nerfed a bit since I played her, but I found her to be insanely strong.  I didn't mesh with the Vladivostok very well, but I received the Lenin in one of the Christmas containers, and I agree the Lenin is a much better ship.

Soyuz is my favorite in the entire line, but I'm probably the only one to say that lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
305
[PVE]
Members
1,147 posts
9,609 battles

I much prefer the Pyotr Velikiy over the Izmail. Mainly for ergonomic reasons. Getting 3 rear facing turrets that turn that slowly from one side to the other is boring. I plan ahead so my guns are usually at least close when I need them, but it just feels unnecessary. I just unlocked Sinop and will not play Izmail again.

The Pyotr Velikiy seemed suitable for it's tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×