You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Halasham

Similar ships?

18 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles

Hello everyone. My apologies if this isn't the correct section for this.

Are there any ships similar to the Gneisenau? So far to me it has been the stand out of the German Battleship line.

Something of comparable speed to the cruisers of its rank with a lot of health. Slow reloading, high damage guns are OK or quick reloading weaker guns... the Gneis kind of has both between its secondary armament and main guns. I'm fond of its ability to both terrorize destroyers and significantly threaten battleships.

I've tried the Bismark & F.Der Grobe and they don't quite have the same functionality that I'm looking for, and for that matter neither did the lower rank German battleships.

I'm thinking Heavy Cruisers would probably be the category that I'm looking for and have started working toward the Furutaka. Someone please let me know if that's not quite going to fit  the bill.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,326 posts
12,977 battles

No other tech tree BB has torpedoes. And the nearest comparisons in either direction are premium: Scharnhorst and Tirpitz. Tirpitz is the only t8 comparison to Gneisenau. 

However, if your asking for something not German, Lyon of the French tech tree is comparable, with her relative speed, good AA and wonderful secondaries. Lyon also has a French turtleback and very distributed armor scheme; making her very resistant to HE and large caliber AP.

I don't know of a closer comparison to Gneisenau than Lyon. One could say Sinop in the Soviet tree, but she has no durability from the sides; especially when brawling other BBs.

[FML]
Members
4,175 posts
16,156 battles
34 minutes ago, Halasham said:

Are there any ships similar to the Gneisenau? So far to me it has been the stand out of the German Battleship line.

Something of comparable speed to the cruisers of its rank with a lot of health. Slow reloading, high damage guns are OK or quick reloading weaker guns... the Gneis kind of has both between its secondary armament and main guns. I'm fond of its ability to both terrorize destroyers and significantly threaten battleships.

I've tried the Bismark & F.Der Grobe and they don't quite have the same functionality that I'm looking for, and for that matter neither did the lower rank German battleships.

I'm thinking Heavy Cruisers would probably be the category that I'm looking for and have started working toward the Furutaka. Someone please let me know if that's not quite going to fit  the bill.

Gneisenau is my favourite too! :-)

The closest ship to the Gneisenau is her sister ship, the premium T7 German battleship Scharnhorst, which trades its 6 x 15 inch guns for 9 x 11 inch guns and a faster reload. The T8 premium German battleship Tirpitz is also similar, having one more turret and 15 inch guns.

After that, I would think the 6 gun battleship USS Georgia would be next - has good secondaries and great speed, with decent side armour. But no torps.

Arguably, the next closest to Gneisenau would be the Graf Spee, it’s its a really heavily armed and relatively well armoured cruiser - but it’s not as fast or well armoured; still, she has excellent torps. 

As for tech tree lines to Gneisenau, I would suggest probably IJN heavy cruisers - your primary targets are still cruisers, you have excellent torps, and your AP hits like a truck. But like all cruisers, you have weak armour. 

Alternatively, the French battleship line - from about T7 above - you have speed and decent secondaries, your guns are still a bit wonky like Germans, but you don’t have strong side armour or torps. French battleships like Richelieu play more like oversized heavy cruisers rather than true battleships, and I enjoy them because of that. 

Finally, the Massachusetts has strong secondaries and decent side armour, but no torps, so it’s a bit more like Bismarck. Though imo Massachusetts is far more fun.

Hope that helps! 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles

i would say agir but wargaming has just nerfed that into dead content maybe siegfried although that doesnt look promising either, i guess scharnhorst is a pretty similar copy to gneisanau would be your best bet.

Georgia is the god tier version though

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Gneisenau is my favourite too! :-)

The closest ship to the Gneisenau is her sister ship, the premium T7 German battleship Scharnhorst, which trades its 6 x 15 inch guns for 9 x 11 inch guns and a faster reload. The T8 premium German battleship Tirpitz is also similar, having one more turret and 15 inch guns.

After that, I would think the 6 gun battleship USS Georgia would be next - has good secondaries and great speed, with decent side armour. 

Arguably, the next closest to Gneisenau would be the Graf Spee, it’s its a really heavily armed and relatively well armoured cruiser - but it’s not as fast or well armoured; still, she has excellent torps. 

As for tech tree lines to Gneisenau, I would suggest probably IJN heavy cruisers - your primary targets are still cruisers, you have excellent torps, and your AP hits like a truck. But like all cruisers, you have weak armour. 

Alternatively, the French battleship line - from about T7 above - you have speed and decent secondaries, your guns are still a bit wonky like Germans, but you don’t have strong side armour or torps. French battleships like Richelieu play more like oversized heavy cruisers rather than true battleships, and I enjoy them because of that. 

Finally, the Massachusetts has strong secondaries and decent side armour, but no torps  

Hope that helps! 

Thanks, that really does help. The torps were a plus to me using the Gneis. I love being able to keep pace with the cruisers and punch holes into battleships while the secondaries punish any destroyers that get too close.

I've fought the Richelieu before... it's always terrifying. I think I'd like it. All the guns being on the front makes it difficult to deal with and allows them to angle very effectively.

The USSR battleships would almost be what I was looking for but their armor is so squishy... and the Izmal just about needs to go full broadside to use most of its guns.

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles
Just now, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

i would say agir but wargaming has just nerfed that into dead content maybe siegfried although that doesnt look promising either, i guess scharnhorst is a pretty similar copy to gneisanau would be your best bet.

Georgia is the god tier version though

Thanks! Where are the Siegfried & Georgia? I can't seem to find them.

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles
Just now, Halasham said:

Thanks! Where are the Siegfried & Georgia? I can't seem to find them.

georgia is in armoury and siegfried is a soon to be released if not nerfed to nothing during testing ship

[O7]
Members
1,037 posts
6,162 battles
3 hours ago, Halasham said:

Myogi

Very fast T4 BB, only 6 guns but are of the biggest caliber of the tier, good amount of health with deck armor.

[FML]
Members
4,175 posts
16,156 battles
2 hours ago, Halasham said:

Thanks, that really does help. The torps were a plus to me using the Gneis. I love being able to keep pace with the cruisers and punch holes into battleships while the secondaries punish any destroyers that get too close.

I've fought the Richelieu before... it's always terrifying. I think I'd like it. All the guns being on the front makes it difficult to deal with and allows them to angle very effectively.

The USSR battleships would almost be what I was looking for but their armor is so squishy... and the Izmal just about needs to go full broadside to use most of its guns.

Hi, no worries happy to help. 

As a new-ish player, I have copied a few guides below that you might be interested in.  I realise I referred to quite a few premium ships in my previous response - I just wanted to emphasise that you are under no obligation to buy premium ships in this game, as it is entirely free to play.  Still, you might be interested in the discussion on premium ships, which you can find here: New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players

Furthermore, you mentioned that you enjoyed rushing in with the cruisers and using your secondaries on destroyers.  Whilst that can be fun, if you want to get more out of your ships then really understanding positioning and reading map dynamics can help you - see the second post in the thread linked above, and also my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide will help you to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 

Also, if you would ever like to division, feel free to send me an in-game message and if we're both online at the same time we can rock and roll.  

Otherwise, good luck!

• Cool 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,675 battles
4 hours ago, Halasham said:

Just remember that heavy cruisers only mean they have bigger guns than other cruisers with a slower rate of fire. Heavy does not indicate they are similar to BB's in armor. They are as blapable as any other cruiser.

Play a smidge of everything and you may find you like certain things that you didn't expect. Many players (myself included) have pre determined ideas on how ships will be. One of my first tier tens was the Moskva, thought I would be god mode.....its my worst and least played tier ten and has collected rust for three years.

IJN cruisers have bad torp angles otherwise known as suicide torps (except the Atago) which force you to either show broadside or use them going away---not brawling. Both German and Brit Cruisers have good forward torp angles that can be used in close quarters.

Good luck.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,196 posts
5,913 battles

Like others have said, Scharn is you're friend. It has smaller guns than a Gneis which is great for cruisers but doesnt do you a lot of favors for BBs. A great ship I woukd suggest grabbing if you love Gneis. Tirpitz is nice too but it is just a Bismark with torps instead of hydro.

If you enjoy the speed of the Gneis, it might he worth your time to check out the French BBs. They have access to the engine boost consumable and are generally very quick. Some can top 38 knots with their boost on. 

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles
3 hours ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Just remember that heavy cruisers only mean they have bigger guns than other cruisers with a slower rate of fire. Heavy does not indicate they are similar to BB's in armor. They are as blapable as any other cruiser.

Play a smidge of everything and you may find you like certain things that you didn't expect. Many players (myself included) have pre determined ideas on how ships will be. One of my first tier tens was the Moskva, thought I would be god mode.....its my worst and least played tier ten and has collected rust for three years.

IJN cruisers have bad torp angles otherwise known as suicide torps (except the Atago) which force you to either show broadside or use them going away---not brawling. Both German and Brit Cruisers have good forward torp angles that can be used in close quarters.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have tried to play a bit of everything, even then I have ended up effectively specializing in Battleships.

Cruiser up to qualifying for Battleship in most empires has been OK... just about gave up trying to unlock any Carriers with having to play Destroyers. I really dislike enforced stealth and DDs are squishy enough stealth is enforced.

I've heard that controlling Carriers used to be a lot more like playing an RTS and I wish I had the chance to play them back then.

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts
8 hours ago, Halasham said:

Hipper and Yourk are basicly the same.

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles
4 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

As a new-ish player, I have copied a few guides below that you might be interested in.  I realise I referred to quite a few premium ships in my previous response - I just wanted to emphasise that you are under no obligation to buy premium ships in this game, as it is entirely free to play.  Still, you might be interested in the discussion on premium ships, which you can find here: New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players

Furthermore, you mentioned that you enjoyed rushing in with the cruisers and using your secondaries on destroyers.  Whilst that can be fun, if you want to get more out of your ships then really understanding positioning and reading map dynamics can help you - see the second post in the thread linked above, and also my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide will help you to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 

Also, if you would ever like to division, feel free to send me an in-game message and if we're both online at the same time we can rock and roll.  

Otherwise, good luck!

Thanks, working through iChase's series now. I hadn't expected there to be mods in a multiplayer competitive game. Grabbed the ones he pointed out in his video on settings/interface, hopefully they help.

[DRY]
Members
202 posts
8,792 battles

The Alaska can be played similarly to a bottom tier Gniesenau. It's more gun oriented and less tanky, but it's a well protected battlecruiser all the same. It prefers a little more range, of course, but still.

Members
14 posts
1,003 battles
7 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Otherwise, good luck!

Just finished watching about halfway through iChase's video and played a match.

Still died second out of the entire team but I've most definitely improved with just a little of how armor & aiming works explained to me and a few UI mods.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,175 posts
16,156 battles
1 hour ago, Halasham said:

Just finished watching about halfway through iChase's video and played a match.

Still died second out of the entire team but I've most definitely improved with just a little of how armor & aiming works explained to me and a few UI mods.

Good work! May the improvements keep coming over time :-)