tcbaker777

at this point, im done with 2020's crap

9 comments in this topic

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,420 posts
12,667 battles

The closest I came was 1977 when I drank and smoked my self through the whole year and don't remember it at all .

• Cool 3

[GWG]
Members
85 posts
5,931 battles

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/23/us/asian-giant-hornet-washington-state-scn-trnd/index.html

Washington State:

They destroyed a nest of these in Canada across the border.  Dead ones have been found in North Washington.

And we already have Giant European Hornets in Pennsylvania that have over-wintering queens the size of your thumb.  They came over in the 1600s.
As a beekeeper, I captured a few of these. 
In flight, they look like moths.  Like a flying yellow marble.  Abdomen is Yellow, striped like a yellow jacket, but the head and thorax is a dull red.

[O_O]
Members
7,041 posts
17,390 battles

I still remember the "killer bees invading North America" craze from two plus decades ago.  Yet, here we still are.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,257 posts

Let's look at claims versus the actual data.

50 deaths per year in Japan are attributed to Murder Hornets.

Already, I can see that the author is using inflammatory language in order to farm more clicks. 

Here are the actual facts:

Each year, from 12 to 24 people die in Japan having been stung by bees and wasps (including the Japanese hornet). In China, which has a population of 1.4 billion people, giant hornets, specifically, killed 42 people in 2013. In the US, an average of 62 people die each year from bee and hornet stings. Why? Because that's about the number of people who are stung who are allergic to hymenoptera venom and can't get medical treatment in time before their airways swell up and suffocate them. From 100 to 200 people die each year in the US from eating peanuts and other things they are allergic to. Beware the giant killer peanut!

p7_Peanuts_H1906_gi886697776(1).jpg

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

I still remember the "killer bees invading North America" craze from two plus decades ago.  Yet, here we still are.

You made me remember seeing this movie on TV while growing up in the 80s.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,257 posts
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You made me remember seeing this movie on TV while growing up in the 80s.

Several studies have shown that so-called "killer" bees are actually becoming more docile. This makes perfect sense from an evolutionary standpoint as the swarms of honey bees that are too dangerous are eradicated by humans while the more docile ones are cultivated for their honey production.

A genomic study of Puerto Rico's Africanized honey bees reveals that they retain most of the genetic traits of their African honey bee ancestors, but that a few regions of their DNA have become more like those of European honey bees.

The "killer" bees are gentler than they used to be. Not exactly kittens, but they’re manageable. The only time they are dangerous is when you make a serious error. There’s a combination of natural and artificial selection going on. People destroyed extremely defensive swarms, hiving gentler bees that over time spawned gentler offspring. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
8,504 posts
24,614 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Already, I can see that the author is using inflammatory language in order to farm more clicks.

Hey...that's supposed to be a SECRET handshake...NOT to be shared w/those not IN THE LOOP.

(The media will be watching you now...& soon you & your giant peanuts will be blamed for all sorts of terrorist actions to discredit your viability...

...But...you've only yourself to blame at this point...BAD secret handshake spoiler...BAD!!!)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,257 posts
6 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Hey...that's supposed to be a SECRET handshake...

I watch a channel on mousetraps by a dairy farmer in Oregon. It's more interesting than you might think as he has a collection of over a thousand antique traps and tests mousetrap designs from all over the world. He has said several times that the more hype he puts into his thumbnails the more views he will get.

Which headline do you think is true and which one do you think got more views?

Killer bees are calming down

HORNET HELL! Horrified tourists see tour guide stung to death by giant wasps – which then feasted on his body for FOUR DAYS!

The guide died because he was allergic to bee stings and the tourists ran away and left him rather than trying to get him medical attention. The true headline should read "Rich, pampered idiots flee tiny insects leaving their guide, who was suffering an allergic reaction, to to die in agony."

Edited by Snargfargle