Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kaffee_Kup

Currently at tier8 for IJN CC soon to be a tier9, will Azuma be a good trainer for playstyle and stuff?

13 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
1,513 posts
11,692 battles

i like azuma very good guns, able to get high damage games but i dont see it being anymore beneficial then the standard tech tree line.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,273 battles

I would say no.

The thing is, you want the Zao. It is a fine ship, with many great things about it. A bit squishy, but other than that it is awesome. With the legendary upgrade, it gets even better.

So, in order to get the Zao, you need to grind the tier 9, or spend a whole bunch of FXP, which is not advisable for a bunch of reasons. Given that you will need to play the tier 9 cruiser a lot, it doesn't really make sense to have a premium IJN cruiser sitting around as well. If you have the urge to play an IJN cruiser, grind for the Zao in the tech tree ship, don't pfaff about in premiums.

Premiums make the most sense when you don't actually want the tech tree ships just yet, but would like the experience of that nation and line. So getting a shcarnhorst or Tirpitz makes a lot of sense, if you don't feel inclined to grind kriegsmarine BBs, but want a fun ship in that general style. The JB made sense if you didn't want to grind French BBs.

You are at tier 9 now, so the Zao is what you want. I'd pass on the Azuma, and grind out the Zao.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,777 posts
37,457 battles

Zao? Yes with a cherry on top!

Azuma? Nope.

Yoshino is way better. Azuma is marginal.

[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

If you got some money to spend, Atago has been a reliable choice for a tier VIII premium that more or less describes the IJN cruiser line for the past 5 years. You seriously cant go wrong with a ship that has endured the meta changes since the game existed. 

Plus it's one of the most beautiful ships in the game.

• Cool 3

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles

Azuma is a fair boat. Not op, but efficient in what it does. And it can be boat a CA and BB trainer with no issue for the Japanese line, which is great. Other plus: the tier 9 line ship, Ibuki, is somewhat forgettable. Thus with Azuma and Zao you can have both tier 9 and 10 covers with IJN cruisers. 

As said, Atago is probably a better overall premium, but it comes at the same tier as a good line ship: the Mogami. For my part I got the Atago on black Friday, but my got to IJN cruiser tier 8 is Mogami 155mm.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,714 posts
11,219 battles
1 hour ago, Sophie_Chan said:

Title says it all, just wondering.

Azuma is a long-range, kiting HE-spammer that is a pretty decent (if extreme) representation of the IJN CA play style. The biggest things to keep in mind is that she does not have torpedoes (tier X Yoshino in the Armory for coal does, though) and she is large and very squishy. She is very good at burning things to the waterline from 15+km, but that’s pretty much all she is good at. As someone else mentioned, she is also a good fit for IJN BB captains.

How are you planning on purchasing her? If you are planning on spending cash, I would suggest considering Atago at tier VIII instead. She is widely considered one of the best tier VIII cruisers in the game, and plays more like other IJN CAs and is much more flexible than Azuma.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles

I’ll echo some of the other posts here - if you’re looking for a CA captain trainer, Atago is probably the better choice. Azuma and Yoshino are both good ships but there is a little mismatch between them and the true cruisers of the tech tree line. 

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
13,127 battles
2 hours ago, Sophie_Chan said:

nope

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
2 hours ago, Sophie_Chan said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

You may be interested in a detailed discussion on premium ships, including outlining a framework to help people make decisions on what ships to get and some suggestions for ships that are good value, at this link

Personally, I think I agree with the others in this thread that the Atago is the standout IJN premium cruiser; however, you may instead want to consider purchasing a premium ship for the next  tech tree line that you intend to pursue given that at T8 you're over halfway to the T10 Zao.  And the Zao is a good tech tree ship.  

Hope that helps, and good luck!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,841 posts
25,945 battles
4 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Zao? Yes with a cherry on top!

Azuma? Nope.

Yoshino is way better. Azuma is marginal.

Depends.

Yoshino is the superior ship between her and Azuma.

The problem actually really lies with Yoshino, despite being the better ship.  Yoshino is a Tier X and will only face the likes of Kremlin, Yamato, Harugumo, Moskva, Stalingrad, Montana, etc. all the time.  Tier X is a fierce place to be.

Azuma while being the worse ship, is a Tier IX.  Yes, she's going to face lots of Tier X, but every now and then MM will throw a Tier IX ship a bone and face as low as Tier VII ships.  Tier IX ships feast on Tier VII, while still having power to be relevant in a Tier X game.

In addtion, the IFHE / Armor changes upgraded Azuma's 25mm mid section armor to 27mm, so 380mm AP could no longer Overmatch her.  406mm+ can still do that, but taking 380mm AP off the Overmatch against Azuma is a big deal because in Azuma's MM bracket, there's tons and tons of 380mm or smaller guns.

There's also performance for their respective tiers.  Azuma does a lot better for Tier IX than Yoshino does in Tier X.  Again, Yoshino is the better ship, but her peers in Tier X are all ferocious threats.  The Tier X Cruisers, Battleships, even Gunboat DDs, are all significant threats.

RU Server, 1st Quarter 2020 stats

(Using RU server because of the bigger population and more battles played there.  They record double, sometimes triple the number of battles than we do here in NA server)

Sq3LLwC.jpg

Edit:  Another issue for Azuma is WG's love of introducing more and more 457mm armed guns that sh*t on 30mm armor sections, which Yoshino is dependent on.  2 years ago, 30mm armor sections on a Cruiser was a pretty big deal because of it negating 406mm or even 420mm Overmatch.  But with the introduction of Republique's 430mm guns, more and more people playing her, and the addition of Georgia, Kremlin, Thunderer, Ohio, as well as existing 460mm armed Yamato, Musashi... Yoshino's 30mm armor isn't really a big deal anymore, not like it would have been years ago.

Georgia will easily sh*t on Yoshino just as she will Azuma.

But at least Azuma every now and then will take her frustrations out against Tier VII ships, whereas the "weakest" Yoshino will deal with is something like Massachusetts.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
9,778 posts
14,310 battles
5 hours ago, Sophie_Chan said:

It will take me a while to grind the FXP to get Azuma with FXP.
I'm tempted to purchase, but also want the satisfaction of completing the goal I set for myself.

I have Commander Azuma from the Azur Lane Collection.  Would be nice to pair them together.

[WPORT]
Members
9,778 posts
14,310 battles
5 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

I would say no.

The thing is, you want the Zao. It is a fine ship, with many great things about it. A bit squishy, but other than that it is awesome. With the legendary upgrade, it gets even better.

So, in order to get the Zao, you need to grind the tier 9, or spend a whole bunch of FXP, which is not advisable for a bunch of reasons. Given that you will need to play the tier 9 cruiser a lot, it doesn't really make sense to have a premium IJN cruiser sitting around as well. If you have the urge to play an IJN cruiser, grind for the Zao in the tech tree ship, don't pfaff about in premiums.

Premiums make the most sense when you don't actually want the tech tree ships just yet, but would like the experience of that nation and line. So getting a shcarnhorst or Tirpitz makes a lot of sense, if you don't feel inclined to grind kriegsmarine BBs, but want a fun ship in that general style. The JB made sense if you didn't want to grind French BBs.

You are at tier 9 now, so the Zao is what you want. I'd pass on the Azuma, and grind out the Zao.

I've played Zao in space-themed events.  Her torpedo launch angles suck.  They only cover the arc from just behind starboard/port and to almost the stern.  There's a gap between the arcs at the stern.
Similar to Myoko's torpedo arcs and Aoba's arcs.
Furutaka has better arcs and she's at Tier-5.  :-)
At least Zao's torps have a long range.

Takao (Atago in ARP premium form) at least has better launching arcs that cover the forward areas to the sides of the ship with a gap at the bow, with two of her four launchers.

But Azuma has no torpedoes and has bigger 12-inch guns instead of 8-inch guns like the ones mounted on Atago/Takao.

As for Tirpitz, Kii, and other premium ships.  We play them because they're fun.  :-)
Captain training is some people's primary goal, but not everyone's.

To each their own.  Good luck, have fun.  :-)

Sign in to follow this