Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Never Thought This Was Possible, But....

24 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

......somehow this current season of Ranked Sprint Arms Race is even more blow-out prone than Random battles.

I really didn't think that the skill level could get much below Randoms, but apparently it has.  The competency simply.......isn't there most of the time.

Sorry.......just had to rant and get it out.  Kinda sorta feel better now.  The therapy cheque is in the mail.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
8,978 posts
13,134 battles

not surprising, basically whoever gets more buffs will have the better chance of steam rolling the other team, Ranked is hard enough without the Arms Race

• Cool 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,647 battles

Thought you meant I got an Invite to 07....

I have seen mostly close games until the middle circle pops. It seems to get squirrely, some players get it, most don't. I enjoy having the option for ranked sprint, just not the mode we have. We just played this in reg ranked.

[USN]
Members
1,626 posts
21,086 battles

Probably because Arms Race tends to feature blowout wins more often due to its nature (don't get buffs, you're suddenly facing some wildly insane ships with your stock ship, or don't get the center cap and you lose mind-bogglingly quickly) However, about 66% of the people in a normal Arms Race match don't understand how Arms Race works, but couple this with a ranked COVID Arms Race team, now we could be looking at 75% of everyone in that match not knowing what there're doing

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,063 posts
19,384 battles

Most games I'm in are complete blow outs, both ways. Roll of the random MM dice what you get. Been in games where the red team loses only a couple or no ships and been in teams that lost a couple or no ships.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[X-PN]
Members
1,757 posts
12,839 battles
37 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

......somehow this current season of Ranked Sprint Arms Race is even more blow-out prone than Random battles.

I really didn't think that the skill level could get much below Randoms, but apparently it has.  The competency simply.......isn't there most of the time.

Sorry.......just had to rant and get it out.  Kinda sorta feel better now.  The therapy cheque is in the mail.

All true, but being able to outrun my own torps (I got up to 63 kts in Marceau) made it worth it....at least for one game.

For those of you thinking it..... Sorry, it was a close game or else I would have tried to run into the back of my torps to see what happens.

• Funny 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,285 battles

Seems the basic tactic for most people is to sit back and wait for everyone else to make a move.  See how things go.  If you start winning, well sweet, just keep farming damage and stay safe.  If you start losing, sit back, farm damage till most people are dead, then charge in and get a few easy kills, save your star, rinse and repeat.  It is a little funny when the team starts losing so fast, that they forget to actually move up - they lose 12 ships to 6, and are just sitting there while the points tick.

• Funny 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,285 battles
1 minute ago, YouSatInGum said:

For those of you thinking it..... Sorry, it was a close game or else I would have tried to run into the back of my torps to see what happens.

Rogue Wave allowed for hitting your own torps and nothing would happen - they just kept going.  Can't imagine they would bother programming it different for randoms.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,269 battles

We had a tier IV Yubari against my tier 7 BB (Lyon) in a random today. He showed me broadside in the channel of Two Brothers, and boy did he get the blow out.

I was like "Take that, ya tier IV!" in chat.

It was glorious.

What is this thread about?

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,409 posts
12,603 battles

I have had games in sprint ranked were I had 6000K damage and won in a blow out I did nothing .Then I have had 103,000k and got blown out . There is no rhyme or reason so I'm going to have a nice cocktail sit down relax play all night and let the chips fall where they may .

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
13 hours ago, clammboy said:

I have had games in sprint ranked were I had 6000K damage and won in a blow out I did nothing .Then I have had 103,000k and got blown out . There is no rhyme or reason so I'm going to have a nice cocktail sit down relax play all night and let the chips fall where they may .

The bottom line there is that with high damage games, your team has to perform below-average enough for you to have to carry.  A fully competent team can usually mop up another team in an efficient manner where you don't get the opportunity to farm or carry.

That's why you will never see streamers like @Notser or @Business6 usually roll high damage games unless their team tends to struggle to some degree.

Members
1,660 posts
20 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Jokes on you!  This season of ranked IS randoms.  I think it is an April Fools thing on all off us.  :cap_fainting:

[X-PN]
Members
1,757 posts
12,839 battles
6 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

The bottom line there is that with high damage games, your team has to perform below-average enough for you to have to carry.  A fully competent team can usually mop up another team in an efficient manner where you don't get the opportunity to farm or carry.

That's why you will never see streamers like @Notser or @Business6 usually roll high damage games unless their team tends to struggle to some degree.

So true.

I wish they would show the average games along with their good games, so you get a better idea for what a ship is like for all occasions.  Some ships like Friesland that take time to do damage and rely a lot on DOT damage need an average team to do well.  Not so good that you have to abandon smoke to keep pushing, and not so bad that it's 4 on 1, but the goldilocks team where if you clean out your flank that puts your team over the top.

21 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Rogue Wave allowed for hitting your own torps and nothing would happen - they just kept going.  Can't imagine they would bother programming it different for randoms.

Been too long ago to remember for sure, but think they had team damage turned off for that.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,377 posts
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Jokes on you!  This season of ranked IS randoms.  I think it is an April Fools thing on all off us.  :cap_fainting:

Not a joke just a way to money-grab for ix and x premmies, on the other hand arms race is a joke but WG to dumb to realize they made a funny.

[OO7]
Members
692 posts
8,221 battles

I think the fact a lot of the campaigns and missions cannot be done outside of coop has led to quite a lot of pve players in ranked as well.

[WOLFD]
Members
862 posts
6,973 battles

Tried one game, pretty much a blow out. most of the team hung back, some never moved even after being spotted.  One was AFK most of the game.  The red team took all caps, as a DD, I tried but had zero back up.  Their radar cruisers moved up, Our BBs never shot them. 

Skill of the team makes all the difference.  Bad team automatic loss.

I have not set foot in it again, and will not.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,285 battles
3 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Been too long ago to remember for sure, but think they had team damage turned off for that.

I think they did, but even with team damage off, the torps actualy 'hit'.  They just don't cause damage.  In this instance, the torps just went right through you.  :)

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

When you get teams like these:

4rYBtb7.jpg

There is nothing that can be done.

Edited by Vaitmana

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,730 posts
11,192 battles
On 5/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Old_Baldy_One said:

It is a little funny when the team starts losing so fast, that they forget to actually move up - they lose 12 ships to 6, and are just sitting there while the points tick.

These are the teams I am seeing.  Ships just sit back until the other team gradually picks everyone off or the game ends on points.  I have been in a couple of games where we should have won, but the advantage that we had was imaginary because most of the remaining the ships we had alive weren't really doing anything useful.  Once the players on our team that were actually doing anything in the game got killed off, the team fell hard.  Sometimes they just sit behind an island while not doing anything.  These are the ships that finish the game alive, but only accumulate 500 base XP.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles
23 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

The bottom line there is that with high damage games, your team has to perform below-average enough for you to have to carry. 

Poorly enough for you to be able to step up and shine, not so poorly that winning becomes impossible.

Of course sometimes it IS impossible, which is why a lot of people report their Krakens coming always with losses...

I had a very surprising battle in my Nagato over the weekend. I'll admit I wasted a lot of time and opportunities at first, traversing virtually the entire map and doing nothing much, only to find that the real struggle was going on back where I came from. As I circled around and headed back, thinking I'd never reach the action in time (the enemy points were in two figures already) but why not try, my team had what Jingles calls a sudden rush of s:etc_swear: to the brain and a death wish came upon them. Suddenly a wasted, unproductive battle turned into a killing opportunity for me, and there I was with a nearly full health battleship and targets in range. I can't by any means say that I carried, but after wasting 2/3 of the battle time I ended up sinking three ships. (That did not do my XP any harm at all, especially since I was flagged up to the eyeballs.)

Ranked at Tier 9/10 holds no attractions for me at the moment. I'm going to work on my incomplete lower-tier grinds while we're running high-percentage first wins.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
21 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Yes, it was turned off I believe.

[ALLY]
Members
400 posts
21,311 battles
On 5/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, tfcas119 said:

Probably because Arms Race tends to feature blowout wins more often due to its nature (don't get buffs, you're suddenly facing some wildly insane ships with your stock ship, or don't get the center cap and you lose mind-bogglingly quickly) However, about 66% of the people in a normal Arms Race match don't understand how Arms Race works, but couple this with a ranked COVID Arms Race team, now we could be looking at 75% of everyone in that match not knowing what there're doing

To all:

tfcas has a good point.  I have been playing DDs (Shima mostly), but getting support from other players who just want to hide behind rocks and try to kill the other team is impossible.  I do not know how many games where we lost even though we had a lot more ships than the other team, but they capped and our team refused to get in the cap.  I of course was dead by that time because I was one of the few trying to contest the cap.  I decided to switch to my Mino and followed the DDs in to caps.  As soon as they spotted an enemy DD, surprise there I was and the enemy DD was either running away as fast as possible or dead.  I won 9 straight to rank out following this procedure and we did cap and get the majority of the buffs in each one of the matches.  It took me a long time to get to rank 4 (40 matches) and when I started this run, I ranked out in a little over 2 hours play time.  I guess sometimes the DDs are right when they say they do not get any support.  In this mode it appears to be the quickest way to win.

C130 signing out

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Arms Race's biggest problem is that it doesn't quite communicate the importance of the centre of the map.

The buffs are easily enough, players see little things on the map, and they get a nice little piece of information about what they did.

The vitally important cap circle gets nothing really beyond an easily missed/ignored note about how the points for capping are 10 per 2 seconds, which is effectively end game once capped.

If WG wanted to make the centre of the map the most important thing and reduce the amount of boring flank play, they should have just done a Battle Royale style gimmick with a zone of death coming in, maybe that ends with half the map as a death zone, and the cap zone in the centre coming in a bit earlier.

As for the OP, I had a lot less blowouts of teams getting wiped off the map compared to the random games I've played lately, but there were definitely a lot of games where each team had similar numbers but one team were comprised of players who I could politely describe as "organised kiting" away from the middle, with the opposition winning by capping.

The best tactic I had to get wins was pick a Worcester, find an island that would hide me from being spotted and then just blast anyone large that tried to push in the middle, and popping out to help our DD's if they were doing their job patrolling in the middle.

Edited by macktkau2

Sign in to follow this