Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

PVE players guide

10 comments in this topic

Members
395 posts

Has anyone ever thought of doing a PVE players guide? I know there are probably tons of player guide's but I will assume most are geared towards random battle performance. Just an opinion but ship builds and tactics are a little different I would gather for PVE.  PVE guides could help players coming into the game or even help veteran players.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,489 posts
15,404 battles
23 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

Has anyone ever thought of doing a PVE players guide? I know there are probably tons of player guide's but I will assume most are geared towards random battle performance. Just an opinion but ship builds and tactics are a little different I would gather for PVE.  PVE guides could help players coming into the game or even help veteran players.

PvP guides are going to be about as good for PvE as they are for PvP really.  The gameplay is much more simplified but things like damage and optimal builds are going to be the same....just less important.

In coop the bots just come at you and you kill them.  Not much strategy in that.

In scenarios they run fairly predetermined routes so it wont take long to figure out what you need for each.  YouTube generally has the scenarios broken down as far as tactics.

• Boring 2

[CO-OP]
Members
2,344 posts
28,783 battles

Only modifications would be to stress offense and damage considerations in ship upgrades and captain skills. Superintendent can largely be ignored while Adrenalin Rush is a good bet on most ships.

[CVA16]
Members
6,471 posts
20,094 battles
15 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

PvP guides are going to be about as good for PvE as they are for PvP really. 

There are some significant differences in play. There are things you can do in coop that get you killed quick in randoms. Using some random battle tactics will keep you alive in coop but leave you at the bottom of the team scoreboard. 

Bots are somewhat predictable, they charge. They rarely use their consumables correctly (whens the last time you had to  blind torp a smoke firing bot?). They don't intentionally hide or use cover.  Occasionally a human player will do this but it just gets them killed fast in randoms or coop. Human CVs can be a real pain to deal with. Bot CVs are (mostly) a non factor (although the seem to be getting  better with rockets of late).

If you use normal cautious PvE tactics, you end up with very lilttle to show for it. Unless your team is mostly bots, its a race to farm damage while staying alive is only a secondary consideration. Stalking targets generally leaves you with unfired guns/torps while somebody else gets the kill. You can just sit in smoke and shoot and rarely have to worry about hydro and very rarely radar. Bots don't torp smoke either. They are often psychic in their torp dodging abilities.

Some things remain the same, angling for example. But there are a whole lot of differences too. Some ships are great in one mode and meh in the other.

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
Members
456 posts
18,430 battles

Forget about strategy, in any WG mode.  This game has NO strategic aspect. There is no "strategy" in a 40x40 or 50x50km square.  Only tactics.  The tactics for PvP are indeed very different than PvE... and I would love to see build guides for PvE, perhaps as a starting point, but also "best practices" and "tips and tricks" kind of things.  Keep this in mind - co-op is a race against other greens to kill reds.  You're 100 percent on your own (KMAGYOYO).  You may occasionally find someone who goes out of their way to help you, but it's rare.  On the other hand, co-op is nearly salt-free (no raging chats to speak of).

One big thing:  Secondary builds, even on the heavy cruisers, is a much bigger deal in co-op than randoms.  Anything that raises your Damage per Second is a good thing when the battle is often over in about 3 minutes and half of that is getting to the point of enemy contact.

Conversely, concealment (except perhaps DDs and particularly the ones without smoke) is not important in co-op or operations.  Pretty much fugeddaboudit.

That's my $0.02.

• Cool 2

[RVNHQ]
Members
429 posts
12,035 battles

Generally speaking what commander build work in PvP will also work in PvE, with the minor exception of Superintendent. Bots fling the same HE like in PvP so stuff like Fire Prevention is still useful.

Some thoughts and tips on PvE:

1. You are on your own:

Don't expect to get any help or teamwork. Either you are in low tiers with players who are still wet behind the ears or high tiers with players trying to get the most XP for themselves. The most interaction you are going to receive is the flurry of "fair winds" and "good lucks" at the start of a match before everyone goes about their happy bot murdering spree.

2. Co-op rewards aggressive game-play:

If you play passively you are going to end up at bottom. I'm not saying you should throw your ship away but Co-op matches are so short you need to dive in and get your slice of the pie before the game ends. Don't be that guy role-playing a random BB player sniping behind an island.

Just a slight caveat though if you are in a light cruiser, especially a cruiser without smoke. Bots will focus fire the first target spotted and prioritize low health ships. Destroyers have smoke which is basically a Romulan cloaking device and battleships are mostly ignored, so that leaves cruisers in a rather tough spot. Try to remain unseen until the bots focus some other poor sap ( hopefully a bot ) or get into a good position.

3. Preemptive torps do nothing:

Unless firing down a narrow choke point launching torpedoes hoping to catch a bot is pointless. They all have special torpedo senses and incredible ( almost unnatural ) dodging skills.

4. Use bot DD's smoke:

If you on a flank with a bot DD follow it. They pop smoke the second they are spotted and will continue sailing forward to spot for you.

5. Don't lemming train:

Far too often I see players break off a flank to go join a larger one across the map, presumably for safety or habit. Co-op bots aren't the Terminator so don't be afraid to get the paint chipped. If you lemming train you just divide the XP further while any competent player you left behind rakes in the reward.

Edited by Beleaf_
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,471 posts
20,094 battles
1 hour ago, Beleaf_ said:

Try to remain unseen until the bots focus some other poor sap ( hopefully a bot ) or get into a good position.

However, the bot target selection algorithm will mean you will instantly be targeted when you pop up if you are the low HP target in view. If you play things right, most of those guns will need to retrain to actually shoot you so you have time.

[ICOP]
Members
456 posts
18,430 battles
1 hour ago, wildcat18 said:

So some sort of a PVE guide would not be a total waste of time.

Agreed.

Members
714 posts
On 5/2/2020 at 1:09 AM, wildcat18 said:

PVE Player Guide:

1. Kill the red bots as fast as possible before your 'teammates' get a chance to.

2. Ramming is acceptable, speed is your friend.

3. You are on your own, forget teamwork

4. Watch your back, green bots are mad they aren't on the red team.

Sign in to follow this