Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Ibuki: reload or range?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

475
[-1]
Members
812 posts
11,765 battles

I'm trying to equip Ibuki and I'm torn between reload and range upgrades. Advantages of faster reload are obvious but the more I look at the ship the more attractive range upgrade feels. At 16km high tier BBs are pretty accurate which means that with reload upgrade open water gunboating is pretty risky. Range upgrade should allow me to better dodge shells. Also with more range more ships become reachable which means that I will make up raw damage loss with fires and Ibuki should be great at that. Alternatively I could use spotter plane but the downtime is rather long and I lose fighter plane. Or I'm completely wrong and it should be like Mogami--always behind some cover?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,935
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,325 posts
14,923 battles
9 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I used this setup to get #1 Ibuki NA:

image.thumb.png.f03582963e46febe369649a2794d18b2.png

Yeah, the range is nice to have although 16 isn't terrible, at the very least you can sting a retreating ship a few more times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,682
[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,702 battles

reload and spotter plane, once you get towards middle section of the game where you are alot closer, range mod becomes quite irrelevant

 

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Ibuki needs all the range it can get. It's so vulnerable that you really can't afford to put it in a position where it's taking incoming fire.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,774
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles

Even at Tier VIII with Mogami and Atago having range of about 15.6km, I felt that was barely tolerable.  Tier IX Ibuki with just 1 extra kilometer is just like that.  The thing is the BBs at the highest of tiers start becoming better at range and their guns will crush your CA.  With the proliferation of 457mm guns, you do not want to be any closer than you need to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5 posts
2,592 battles

It depends. The problem with mogami and ibuki is the bad turrent firing arc.

If you go for range mod, you can engage in a safer distance, but you will miss more (those shells are not as great as zao's laser pointer) and also can't put your torps into good use, which are amazing when kiting away. 

If you go for reload mod, you really need to know what you are doing and use your stealth well. Every time you shoot, you present a broadside, and the short reload might tempt you to get the second salvo. It's also very important to have a friendly DD as detection buffer. Its game over if you are perma spotted by an enemy DD. 

I just free-xped to Zao. Was saving up for Alaska but thought screw it, rather have 2 t10 and being able to freexp through BB stock hulls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
7,122 posts
22,661 battles
5 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

reload and spotter plane, once you get towards middle section of the game where you are alot closer, range mod becomes quite irrelevant

 


Agreed. Reload and spotter. I haven't reallocated my captains skills since the early CV rework so I still have BFT, but Survival or Vigilance is a great option. Vigilance is like a mini permanent hydro.

Ibuki shells get kind off floaty at super range but have really decent arcs to shoot over islands that normally seem undoable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
475
[-1]
Members
812 posts
11,765 battles
8 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I used this setup to get #1 Ibuki NA

Thank you for sharing! May I ask a couple of questions though?

- Why damage control in second slot? I thought rudder/engine survivability is a much better choice given that they significantly improve your chances to stay mobile and you are most scared of AP anyway.

- I assume you dodge by stopping/accelerating but improved rudder is also a good option, no?

- How "fresh" is this build for the current meta? Do you still play Ibuki? What would you change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
475
[-1]
Members
812 posts
11,765 battles
7 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

reload and spotter plane, once you get towards middle section of the game where you are alot closer, range mod becomes quite irrelevant

 

That's one way to think about it. On the other hand extra range means that you can set fire on more ships or help teammates farther away. Plus you get fighter plane. On the other hand raw DPM is very useful. The way I see it is that with reload mod you can have more impact but it will be less consistent while range mod will allow more even games. It looks like it comes down to the play style but I'm interested to see if there is a preferable choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
396
[DCMA]
Beta Testers
1,674 posts
22,539 battles
11 hours ago, dimzzy said:

I'm trying to equip Ibuki and I'm torn between reload and range upgrades. Advantages of faster reload are obvious but the more I look at the ship the more attractive range upgrade feels. At 16km high tier BBs are pretty accurate which means that with reload upgrade open water gunboating is pretty risky. Range upgrade should allow me to better dodge shells. Also with more range more ships become reachable which means that I will make up raw damage loss with fires and Ibuki should be great at that. Alternatively I could use spotter plane but the downtime is rather long and I lose fighter plane. Or I'm completely wrong and it should be like Mogami--always behind some cover?

 

Range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
402
Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Range. Ibuki gets blapped even by a cross eyed BB player and it's only gotten worse with the proliferation of Georgia and Thunderer. Since they gave Zao dispersion to the line it's pretty easy to drop HE on everything from a distance.

Edited by ksix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,736
[O7]
Members
1,037 posts
6,161 battles
9 hours ago, dimzzy said:

Thank you for sharing! May I ask a couple of questions though?

- Why damage control in second slot? I thought rudder/engine survivability is a much better choice given that they significantly improve your chances to stay mobile and you are most scared of AP anyway.

- I assume you dodge by stopping/accelerating but improved rudder is also a good option, no?

- How "fresh" is this build for the current meta? Do you still play Ibuki? What would you change?

- Only French cruisers and certain very specific ships (such as Nagato) have rudder problems. Ibuki is not one of them. As for the engine, it only gets knocked out if you get citadeled, and you should steer away from taking modules that remedy a mistake rather than improve a ship.

 - No. The main factor in determining a ship's rate of turn is the turning circle, not the rudder shift. More importantly, propulsion is far superior than rudder when it comes to dodging because:

image.thumb.png.46b845de44e9338ea5ecda43a76ecca1.png

The area between the red lines is the area where you can be in, if you had X better steering, the area Y becomes Y=2X because you have 2 directions with rudder. However, if you had X better propulsion, the area becomes Y=X

This is why fast turning ships like Warspite, Venezia, and Gearing are not nearly as hard to hit as fast ships such as Georgia, HIV, and Kleber

- Its updated for the meta, long range fights at T10 where range is necessary.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×