You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SidTheBlade

Ranked: Are we seeing fewer blowouts?

7 comments in this topic

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,338 battles

A lot of folks have observed how similar this season of ranked sprint is to Random battle format. They are very similar, in tiers and numbers of ships.

However, it has been my own experience that there was a significantly greater percentage of close, hard fought matches in the Ranked format, when compared to Random battles.

Would other players agree with this summary?

I have had some really awesome battles in this season of ranked. The best one, I wasn't even present for half of it, but found myself watching the survivors take it down to the wire. 

There have been some ROLFstomps, sure, but i don't think they have been nearly so common as in Random.

Perhaps the Ranked rule set should replace the current scoring system we have in Randoms?

Edited by SidTheBlade

[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I have to agree, I haven’t played that many games but yes, very few of them have been blowouts.

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,658 battles
34 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

A lot of folks have observed how similar this season of ranked sprint is to Random battle format. They are very similar, in tiers and numbers of ships.

However, it has been my own experience that there was a significantly greater percentage of close, hard fought matches in the Ranked format, when compared to Random battles.

I have had some really awesome battles in this season of ranked. The best one, I wasn't even present for half of it, but found myself watching the survivors take it down to the wire. 

There have been some ROLFstomps, sure, but i don't think they have been nearly so common as in Random.

Perhaps the Ranked rule set should replace the current scoring system we have in Randoms?

The main reason for that would be the heal buffs that all players usually get right at the start.

Can't underestimated the benefits of a steady heal throughout the match :-)

Edit: It also has the added benefit of allowing ANY ship type to be eligible for a dreadnought :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,268 posts

Pretty much all my Ranked matches have been blowouts, either for my team or the other one. It may be the nature of the beast. If one team gets ahead on the buffs it's hard for the other to catch up. And getting the final cap almost ensures a win, which it should as it's a "game ender" mechanism.

image.png.403a286b03e500b9796808b2b138050b.pngimage.thumb.png.e7a4475e66274e87ddf67c1750569788.pngimage.thumb.png.71c7d3d01f0be5521bb913928929a66a.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[KAG]
Members
1,355 posts
12,926 battles

I’ve seen crazy game swings in this ranked, it’s been comical.  I mean 5, 6 ships down and the losing team comes back and ends up winning.  

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,130 battles
2 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

Yes i agree. Most of the game seemed to be quite competitive until one side collapses sometime after the halfway point.

It's far more enjoyable than Randoms. But I like the arms race mode. It seems to lead to more fluid and interesting games.