You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kishan99

Dockyard is coming back!

99 comments in this topic

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

The update for the dockyard is soon!  I wonder what ship we are going to be building, any ideas?    WG has said they learned from the PR mistake and the severe backlash and this new dockyard event won't even come to the disaster they call PR.

I am honestly happy.   It must suck for the devs who spent hard work creating the dockyard and animations only to get trashed on by the missions.  I think the visuals were amazing, seeing the ship come to life piece by piece

938907705_ScreenShot2020-05-01at1_15_46AM.thumb.png.b0bb5303103cada23764ce0bee0407d9.png

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
12 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

The update for the dockyard is soon!  I wonder what ship we are going to be building, any ideas?    WG has said they learned from the PR mistake and the severe backlash and this new dockyard event won't even come to the disaster they call PR.

I am honestly happy.   It must suck for the devs who spent hard work creating the dockyard and animations only to get trashed on by the missions.  I think the visuals were amazing, seeing the ship come to life piece by piece

938907705_ScreenShot2020-05-01at1_15_46AM.thumb.png.b0bb5303103cada23764ce0bee0407d9.png

I have to agree. The Dockyard was beautiful to look at, the construction animations were excellent. It has so much potential to be a positive for the game. 

Thats why the preposterous requirements for PR were even more frustrating. 

• Cool 4

[C_NT]
Members
949 posts
2,438 battles
14 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Yeah this is cool concept hope they stick with it in the future and don't let a bad experience ruin it. 

[SPTR]
Members
27,585 posts
17,859 battles

Puerto Rico was horrid mess. Don't go putting t10 ships with a freaking The Amazing Race style chronic health inducing build time and missions shoulda put PR in up for steel or in RB and offer a lower tier prem/special ship in the dockyard instead with easier construction schedule quota before the deadline as a practise run.

• Boring 5

Members
247 posts

I really loved the concept of the dockyard and even though I didn't get close to finishing it(and knew I wouldn't from day one), there was a real enjoyment watching the build unfold(something like most people I have never seen before). As for the event, I think we are all agreed it was kind of a trainweck!

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles

I'll wait and see what it looks like on the live server before I get excited.

• Cool 5

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,834 battles

I'd like to see them start with a clean slate and have a Tier 6 or 7 premium ship as the reward this time. 

Jumping straight to a Tier 10 was a big mistake. 

• Cool 2

Members
443 posts
451 battles

I’m betting the California and it’ll require the equivalent man-hours of a small sweat shop in Cambodia to complete the grind...or ¥40,000 in small, unmarked bills if you just want to get ripped off completely. But I’m kind of an optimist, too.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[NONE]
Members
3,880 posts
11,996 battles

The visuals of the Dockyard were really first-class, and the ship itself is half-way decent, but as others have said the marketing side is what ruined the event. I'm sure it was an over-all commercial success for WG, but at what cost in public goodwill?

I freely cop to having gotten sucked into the pay-to-boost vortex at the very beginning without reading the fine print first. I know, my bad, caveat emptor, and all that. I was stupid and I own that. Result for me? Some Russian flavor they might understand...a personal consumer version of Stalin's Order No. 227: Not one more dime!

Edited by So_lt_Goes
  • Funny 1

Members
247 posts
21 minutes ago, kagero__ said:

I’m betting the California and it’ll require the equivalent man-hours of a small sweat shop in Cambodia to complete the grind...or ¥40,000 in small, unmarked bills if you just want to get ripped off completely. But I’m kind of an optimist, too.

do you think they would do 2 USN ships in a row, my guess would be one of the German ships we have been waiting ages for and we will need a dozen rail-car loads of Reichsmarks to pay for it!

• Funny 1

[JACK]
Members
106 posts
29,304 battles

so long as we are not going blind trying to finish the new ship ill be happy . I finished the PR and didn't get to enjoy any time with my family last year . so heres to hoping wows has learned their lesson this year 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
2 hours ago, kishan99 said:

WG has said they learned from the PR mistake and the severe backlash and this new dockyard event won't even come to the disaster they call PR.

You actually put any stock into this statement?

giphy.gif.de2999386f29de50291d1241ca033610.gif

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[OVRPN]
Members
766 posts

The best way to handle Dockyard is as a login incentive. You incentivize people to play your game by giving them a daily reward and goal to work towards. So say they put in a daily mission to progress the Dockyard with similar requirements to the current missions meaning you can knock them out either pve or pvp. Each day you do this you get progress on the dock yard. the only boosts would be doing a week long mission where you must do the daily all seven days. the duration is the tricky part, it has to be long enough to benefit the game without being too long that people get bored or antagonistic to it. So under a year but more than six months?

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
2 hours ago, Bluemoon51 said:

there was a real enjoyment watching the build unfold

My wife enjoyed looking at it so much she told me I could buy the ship! :Smile_veryhappy: It was tempting, but I figured I could spend 25K doubloons more efficiently elsewhere. 

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,406 posts
12,603 battles

Yes the dock yard loved watching the ship being built the visuals were great . I hope this time I can finish it I’m not much for grinding . 

[D-DAY]
Members
6,973 posts
3 hours ago, kishan99 said:

The concept was great - the execution was terrible (PR).

Again, what WG says and what they deliver can be completely different and I have no real trust in many of their decisions. There is no excitement, I just wait to see what ingenious way they can muck it up this time!

I hope it's great...but.....

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 hours ago, kishan99 said:

The track record of feedback that "went unnoticed" is not great

• Cool 3

[TAZ]
Members
917 posts
2 hours ago, SovereignEagle said:

Jumping straight to a Tier 10 was a big mistake. 

That was not the mistake; WG's deception and the "our way or the highway" was the mistake

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,296 posts

How many will even bother?  WG shot themselves in the head with the last one as I understand it...  by not telling the whole story up front... 

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,360 posts
10,521 battles

If it's a Premium Submarine some people are going to lose their minds.

It will be glorious to watch!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
7,823 battles

I'm going to reserve excitement about this until I see what the grind and or subsequent expense to shorten it is?   I got excited about this once only to realize exactly how much it was going to cost me to see it completed.  While I thought it was one of the better implementations from a visual standpoint....watching quickly got boring, knowing there would be no happy ending to it for me.   Literally 1/2 the grind of the PR was still a no-life effort IMO.