Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Halland's AA

18 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts

I spotted a Halland and this happened, a whole squadron gone instantly. AA spec, Massive AA, Defensive AA, Priority Sector, or a combo?

image.thumb.png.cf4545e2e41f4f4b45bfaca6e8c29042.png

• Funny 6
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
142 posts
15,004 battles

Cool picture.  Without the minimap and other graphics, it would be a nice background image.

I take AAM2 on the Halland and Jerzy has AFT.  Plus the AA flag.  It seems to do pretty good when you pop DefAA (and priority sector).

[COSTA]
[COSTA]
Members
235 posts
8,941 battles

It’s so nice to have a DD that can wreck a squadron for all the other games I’ve been wrecked by a CV.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
15 minutes ago, JER1971 said:

Cool picture.  Without the minimap and other graphics, it would be a nice background image.

I take AAM2 on the Halland and Jerzy has AFT.  Plus the AA flag.  It seems to do pretty good when you pop DefAA (and priority sector).

Try running a replay slowed down sometime after pressing Ctrl-J -- you really see a lot of neat stuff.

shot-20_04.30_16_57.16-0109.thumb.jpg.4117cf14209b2af2a56529bd2638ebae.jpg

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,136 posts
4,342 battles

Halland has AA like old AA cruisers used to have. No fly zone for CVs. 

No, I don't know why a DD can do that and cruisers can't...

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
897 posts
6,834 battles

Halland has great AA (for a DD anyway) but it’s a double edged sword! If I leave my AA on and any of the enemy team are in range, once a CV launches an attack, if there are enemy ships close by I’m spotted at my max detection with no smoke! If I wait until the CV detects me I don’t get enough dmg to the squadrons to not get hit (1/3 health gone and if enemy ships in range, possibly more). As a DD we all know “just dodge” usually doesn’t work! :cap_old:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,791 posts
21,701 battles
6 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Because the 40mm /L70 are murderous and 4x 120mm at 42 rpm is also very nasty.  WoWS has always favored multiple single barrel mounts over a smaller amount of multiple barrel AA mounts, and the 40mm /L70 throw the same shell as the  Bofors 40mm, but with a 20% higher muzzle velocity (nearly doubling their kinetic energy IIRC) and at double to triple the RPM.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
868 posts
7,298 battles

My Enterprise lost 35 to that thing and half the time seemed like it was stealth firing.  Prolly just my poor SA but seems excessive when I wasn’t even trying to attack it.  All those kills were him just being in the right place.

[RLGN]
Members
16,212 posts
28,085 battles
42 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Because spec’d for AA instead of survival?

Because used Sector Reinforcement?

Because used DFAA?

Because who knows why.

Maybe because the destroyer driver did things to defend themselves; instead of the attitude that shows most often here in the forums; which basically seems to be; ‘Planes! Oh noes! I’m doomed!’ (gives up and doesn’t even try.)

Do carriers do things that hack me off? Certainly; but to the extent of the constant, unceasing complaints I read? Not by a long shot.

• Boring 2

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles

Halland has DFAA which gives it triple damage on the flak. If you fly into Halland flak while DFAA is active, it can instakill your planes. The constant damage is pretty good for a DD, but not nearly enough to wipe your squadron (especially not with arms race heal buffs active).

The solution is to dodge the flak.

Edited by WernerHerzdog
  • Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
695 posts
9,293 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I spotted a Halland and this happened, a whole squadron gone instantly. AA spec, Massive AA, Defensive AA, Priority Sector, or a combo?

image.thumb.png.cf4545e2e41f4f4b45bfaca6e8c29042.png

Good. Now we just need the other 12855660 ships to be able to do that.

• Boring 1

[DOG]
Members
1,300 posts
13,500 battles

I've never played CVs myself, so I've always been on the receiving end.  And I know the "unlimited" planes isn't really unlimited, due to the time limit in a match.  But it really seems like shooting down a large number of planes doesn't accomplish much if your goal is to delay the next wave, and get a few minutes without being spotted and/or attacked from the air.  Yes, I notice sometimes the squadrons are smaller, but that doesn't stop them from perma-spotting me.

[BONKS]
Members
2,858 posts
52 battles

It's called flak in combination with DFAA.

Here's a tip: As soon as you see that you're under fire, make a course adjustment regardless of whether you can see what is shooting at you or not. You control where flak spawns as a CV, not the surface ship.

As for Halland AA, sure it may be annoying at first but just make 2-3 successful rocket strikes on it and that'll pretty much destroy the majority of its AA.

unknown.png

Not to mention it is a pretty big DD so it takes hilarious damage on a regular basis.

44UcmuK.png

The thing that truly makes Halland and PEU DDs in general a pain to deal with in a CV is the heal, not the AA.

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,676 posts
9,082 battles
2 hours ago, WernerHerzdog said:

Halland has DFAA which gives it triple damage on the flak. If you fly into Halland flak while DFAA is active, it can instakill your planes. The constant damage is pretty good for a DD, but not nearly enough to wipe your squadron (especially not with arms race heal buffs active).

The solution is to dodge the flak.

I had a very good CV (Midway) come after me yesterday in Ranked while was in my full AA spec'd Halland. He primaried me from the very start of the match and he lost 35 planes trying to kill me. He eventually gave up since he was losing too many aircraft. He will remain nameless but according to his stats he was a very good player and cv driver. 

I'm not so sure "Just dodge the flak" is enough. Lol

Sign in to follow this