You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hans_Mo1eman

Which ship line plays like Omaha

55 comments in this topic

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles

As the title says. I've played a lot of t4 and t5 cruisers to try and find my preferred playstyle and hands down Omaha is my favorite (2nd place would be Danae and Svietlana or whatever t4 Russian is called, German t4  would be 3rd place). 

I like all the other t5 cruisers I've played except the emerald that has been more of a challenge but thats probably because I haven't really learned how to properly use smoke yet.

Omaha is just so simple to use with good firing angles and easy to get lots of guns on target, fast turret traverse, decent concealment. It has not much armor so you don't need to worry about angling as much as you just need to avoid getting hit (for me this is simpler to think about), also seems to have just very good speed, agility, and responsiveness combined with hydro which makes dodging torps or getting out of bad situations a realistic possibility.  I know, bad AA, but it does have the fighter plane which saved my butt a few times. Mind you I've only played about 25 battles in it so far but that is more than I've done in any other cruiser. I've researched both Dallas and Pensacola but not sure which one to move to or if I want to move yet.

I would naturally think USN CLs would be similar to Omaha but after reading reviews it sounds like they are more challenging because of big citadel and not as agile as one would hope. So I'm thinking USN CA might be a better bet but then you get bigger gun with longer reloads?

Any advice?

Ps. Is it worth picking up Marblehead from armory (its fairly cheap for coal) to use as a trainer? I know it has some different torpedos and uses the C hull (i stuck with B to keep more tubes and artillery). But does it play similar to tech tree anyways?

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles

The Marblehead's gun range is a fair bit shorter and the torpedo range is a fair bit longer than Omaha. The other choice is the Murmansk in the premium shop, BUT of course you can't use her to train up US captains.

Your US premium cruiser options are Boise (plays like Helena but with different gun range and a heal), Indianapolis (plays like a squishier New Orleans with radar), Marblehead (variant Omaha), Wichita (T8 like New Orleans used to be), or Salem (altered Des Moines with gimped radar and much better heal). 

If you like the Omaha and want a premium version, Marblehead is a good choice for the coal and is a continuation of the play-style as you move your captains up into Pensacola and/or Dallas. As it costs nothing in real-money terms to obtain a tech-tree ship, I recommend that you get both or that you try them in the Public Test Server next time it's up (probably a couple of weeks) to get a flavour for what things will be like. Pensacola just received a significant buff to her bow plating, and ten 8-inch guns is no joke at Tier 6. She can get five of them firing straight ahead, which is almost as much as Aoba can deliver on the broadside.

If you find you like the heavy cruiser playstyle, Salem is a good long-term goal for the coal.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,131 posts
4,088 battles

The Russian line. Long range HE spam. The USN line doesn't have the shell arcs to do that, the Russians do.

• Cool 1

[ANK-A]
Members
1,054 posts
9,856 battles

Plays like Omaha?   

I guess any cruiser that like eating citadels.  

Seriously though.... Dallas actually is a lot more survivable, and DPM is better than Omaha but at T6  and higher, positioning becomes ever more important for the USN CLs.  The RN CLs get good with Leander and Fiji is maybe the best of the line.  Nurnberg is just as squishy at Omaha but the HE spamming play style is similar.  I think Nurn is actually undertiered because the range, pen, and ballistics are so good at T6.  The fact that the Mainz with the same guns at T8 should tell you something

Edited by YouSatInGum

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,784 posts
21,565 battles

The USN CL line does keep most of the Omaha playstyle all the way up the line. All are squishy, fast firing, big citadel (like Omaha) fire-breathers - but you give up torps. They do tend to be a little less maneuverable as well. British CL, T7 and up, are also very similar, IMHO, but with torps and no HE.

Marblehead keeps you playing the Omaha but with less gun range. Boise will move your captains up the remainder of the line. Then you've got Atlanta! Omaha on steroids for the firing, dodging, ah crap action!

[GRAVE]
Members
1,273 posts
18,802 battles
24 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Omaha is my favorite (2nd place would be Danae and Svietlana or whatever t4 Russian is called, German t4  would be 3rd place). 

you have got to be the first person to ever say your favorite ships are Omaha, Danae, Svetlana, and Karlsruhe

Anyway, best premiums that closely resemble these ships are Kransy Krym (literally Svetlana a tier higher) Marblehead and Marblehead Lima (B-hull Omahas, one available for coal) and Murmansk (literally a Soviet C-Hull Omaha, but better in practically every way)

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Nothing high-tier quite mimics the ring of guns found on those cruisers (you wind up with turrets instead), but Russian cruisers are similarly fragile and also good firestarters.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
44 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Then you've got Atlanta! Omaha on steroids for the firing, dodging, ah crap action!

Or wait until the Flint is reintroduced six months-ish from now as a coal ship.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,805 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

hands down Omaha is my favorite

I really like Omaha too, though I must admit that I hated her at first; the A Hull isn't very friendly.

Since Omaha is the last tech tree USN cruiser with torpedoes, no subsequent USN line plays like her.  I do recommend that you head up the CL line, though.  Dallas and Helena are brilliant.  You'll enjoy them, especially in Scenarios.

Other cruiser lines retain torpedoes.  The British and French are fun in the mid-tiers.  I can't say that they play like USN T5 but that is a subjective judgement. 

Good luck!

[HELLS]
Members
2,666 posts
27,224 battles
28 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Plays like Omaha?   

I guess any cruiser that like eating citadels.  

Seriously though.... Dallas actually is a lot more survivable, and DPM is better than Omaha but at T6  and higher, positioning becomes ever more important for the USN CLs.  The RN CLs get good with Leander and Fiji is maybe the best of the line.  Nurnberg is just as squishy at Omaha but the HE spamming play style is similar.  I think Nurn is actually undertiered because the range, pen, and ballistics are so good at T6.  The fact that the Mainz with the same guns at T8 should tell you something

Nurnberg's guns ae worse than Konigsberg's which have better range and dispersion at T5. My 1st 19-point DKM captain is in that ship.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

As the title says. I've played a lot of t4 and t5 cruisers to try and find my preferred playstyle and hands down Omaha is my favorite (2nd place would be Danae and Svietlana or whatever t4 Russian is called, German t4  would be 3rd place). 

I like all the other t5 cruisers I've played except the emerald that has been more of a challenge but thats probably because I haven't really learned how to properly use smoke yet.

Omaha is just so simple to use with good firing angles and easy to get lots of guns on target, fast turret traverse, decent concealment. It has not much armor so you don't need to worry about angling as much as you just need to avoid getting hit (for me this is simpler to think about), also seems to have just very good speed, agility, and responsiveness combined with hydro which makes dodging torps or getting out of bad situations a realistic possibility.  I know, bad AA, but it does have the fighter plane which saved my butt a few times. Mind you I've only played about 25 battles in it so far but that is more than I've done in any other cruiser. I've researched both Dallas and Pensacola but not sure which one to move to or if I want to move yet.

I would naturally think USN CLs would be similar to Omaha but after reading reviews it sounds like they are more challenging because of big citadel and not as agile as one would hope. So I'm thinking USN CA might be a better bet but then you get bigger gun with longer reloads?

Any advice?

Ps. Is it worth picking up Marblehead from armory (its fairly cheap for coal) to use as a trainer? I know it has some different torpedos and uses the C hull (i stuck with B to keep more tubes and artillery). But does it play similar to tech tree anyways?

I think the French is what your looking for.

Speed bost and reload.  You are always moving and turning.  There not a hide behind the island type of play.

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles

There isn't anything exactly like the Omaha at high tiers, but the closest cruiser line is probably US light cruisers. They aren't as agile but you keep the big damage output from your guns.

You could also try Russian or French destroyers, they're all about shooting people with reliable guns and dodging their shots when they try to shoot you back.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
19,626 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Or wait until the Flint is reintroduced six months-ish from now as a coal ship.

THIS!!!

Flint is a lot of fun and a good trainer

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles
19 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I think the French is what your looking for.

Speed bost and reload.  You are always moving and turning.  There not a hide behind the island type of play.

This is actually the only line I haven't tried yet for cruisers. I'll give it a shot and see. How far up the line do I need to go to get the "flavor" of the line?

Thanks for the suggestion. 

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles
4 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

THIS!!!

Flint is a lot of fun and a good trainer

Sounds good. What tier is flint? I'm still pretty new so I don't think I could handle a t8+ ship - although maybe in 6 months (if its offered then) I'll be ready?

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
19,626 battles
3 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Sounds good. What tier is flint? I'm still pretty new so I don't think I could handle a t8+ ship - although maybe in 6 months (if its offered then) I'll be ready?

Tier 7

• Cool 1

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles
17 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

There isn't anything exactly like the Omaha at high tiers, but the closest cruiser line is probably US light cruisers. They aren't as agile but you keep the big damage output from your guns.

You could also try Russian or French destroyers, they're all about shooting people with reliable guns and dodging their shots when they try to shoot you back.

Okay. I have the Kirov and it definitely has the firepower, I think my damage per game is actually higher than with Omaha but it just feels so slow and clumsy whenever I need to reposition.  Also doesn't seem to dodge as well. Overall I just feel like it is a very defensive playstyle and not quite as exciting or able to influence the outcome of the game. Mind you this is based on about 10 or so battles, I might give it another chance. I did get a 10 skill captain somewhere along the way who is in the kirov now.

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
2 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Okay. I have the Kirov and it definitely has the firepower, I think my damage per game is actually higher than with Omaha but it just feels so slow and clumsy whenever I need to reposition.  Also doesn't seem to dodge as well. Overall I just feel like it is a very defensive playstyle and not quite as exciting or able to influence the outcome of the game. Mind you this is based on about 10 or so battles, I might give it another chance. I did get a 10 skill captain somewhere along the way who is in the kirov now.

I mean Russian or French destroyers, they're labeled as destroyers but they play a lot like light cruisers. You dodge a lot and you use guns much more than torpedoes. The Russian and French cruisers aren't that much like the Omaha.

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I really like Omaha too, though I must admit that I hated her at first; the A Hull isn't very friendly.

Since Omaha is the last tech tree USN cruiser with torpedoes, no subsequent USN line plays like her.  I do recommend that you head up the CL line, though.  Dallas and Helena are brilliant.  You'll enjoy them, especially in Scenarios.

Other cruiser lines retain torpedoes.  The British and French are fun in the mid-tiers.  I can't say that they play like USN T5 but that is a subjective judgement. 

Good luck!

thanks! I think I'll move my captain to Dallas and start training a new one in the Omaha to eventually go to the Pensacola.

I'll also give French cruisers a go.

I'll hold off on Marble and wait for flint or Atlanta to be available for coal.

[IGL]
Members
44 posts
1,731 battles
1 minute ago, WernerHerzdog said:

I mean Russian or French destroyers, they're labeled as destroyers but they play a lot like light cruisers. You dodge a lot and you use guns much more than torpedoes. The Russian and French cruisers aren't that much like the Omaha.

okay!  Sorry I didn't notice that in your post. I haven't tried any DDs yet except pan Asian (I had a free captain with 10 skills) it was bad. Aigle is available for coal maybe that would be a good ship to test out to see if I like the French DDs?

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
26 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

This is actually the only line I haven't tried yet for cruisers. I'll give it a shot and see. How far up the line do I need to go to get the "flavor" of the line?

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Its been along time sents I was really lower t.   Ut I remember even t3 was good.  Long reload but spaced armor really helps.

For the most part I dont know if any line really starts to get good until t5. 

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
9 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

okay!  Sorry I didn't notice that in your post. I haven't tried any DDs yet except pan Asian (I had a free captain with 10 skills) it was bad. Aigle is available for coal maybe that would be a good ship to test out to see if I like the French DDs?

Aigle is kind of different from the French DD line. I recommend unlocking the Russian tier 5 if you want to try one of those, it's a good example of the playstyle (for either line, really).

[WORX]
Members
10,710 posts
18,582 battles
3 hours ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

So you like to play the "floating citadel" ship class. You're either brave or naive, for that.. High caliber ships will love you...

Now, if you like the short range "floating citadel ships" then I recommend the CL lights of

• British
  • USA
  • Some RU

If you like the long range CL floating citadel class...

• Japan
  • France.

Remember to go up the Cruiser light line for the respective nation... You'll be happy with the suggestions and so will the high caliber guns who will sink you in 6 hits,..

GL/HF

Edited by Navalpride33

[YORHA]
Members
5,018 posts
10,004 battles

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good meme...

3zc5vr.jpg

• Funny 1