Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

Been gone for awhile...

11 comments in this topic

[-CFI-]
Members
326 posts
3,059 battles

Got onto a seven-day-a-week work schedule until recently and haven't played since.... September?... I think it was September.

Thinking it's time to come back since life has slowed down a bit (still an essential worker). What's new?

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
3,059 posts
5,943 battles

Various and sundry new flavors of power creep and a whole lot of the same old same old......

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SIM]
Members
4,934 posts
8,014 battles

The most recent line additions were Italian CAs, British CAs, and Pan-European DDs. Italian CAs have SAP shells instead of HE shells (high alpha, middling penetration, no fires), and a Fuel Smoke consumable that lets them lay a short duration smoke cloud while moving at full speed. You may have been here for their release. I...don't actually know much about the British CAs. I think that their angle is large guns, access AP and HE shells, and access to smoke screens? Pan Euro DDs are all Swedish, have blisteringly fast, low alpha torpedoes, no smoke consumable, and a repair party. The next releases are a line split for Russian cruisers that will see the Moskva and Kirov made into premiums, the tier VI, VII, VIII, and IX cruisers retained as the CL line (with a new tier X to replace Moskva), and five new CAs added from tiers VI to X. After that, German CVs are coming. Also, subs seem like they're going to pop up sooner or later. 

Welcome back :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
2 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

The most recent line additions were Italian CAs, British CAs, and Pan-European DDs. Italian CAs have SAP shells instead of HE shells (high alpha, middling penetration, no fires), and a Fuel Smoke consumable that lets them lay a short duration smoke cloud while moving at full speed. You may have been here for their release. I...don't actually know much about the British CAs. I think that their angle is large guns, access AP and HE shells, and access to smoke screens? Pan Euro DDs are all Swedish, have blisteringly fast, low alpha torpedoes, no smoke consumable, and a repair party. The next releases are a line split for Russian cruisers that will see the Moskva and Kirov made into premiums, the tier VI, VII, VIII, and IX cruisers retained as the CL line (with a new tier X to replace Moskva), and five new CAs added from tiers VI to X. After that, German CVs are coming. Also, subs seem like they're going to pop up sooner or later. 

Welcome back :Smile_honoring:

OP, this is a good summary of developments since late last year. 

British heavy cruisers don’t have smoke though. Their special ability is to eat cits from any angle and being too fat to doge, but will have a heal. 

Italian cruisers have really slow reloads and are great at whacking British cruisers with SAP. They struggle to damage almost killed ships due to damage saturation. The fuel smoke is good though!

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,934 posts
8,014 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

British heavy cruisers don’t have smoke though. Their special ability is to eat cits from any angle and being too fat to doge, but will have a heal. 

Thanks for clearing that up. The only one that I have is London, so my knowledge of the line is pretty skewed.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
56 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Thanks for clearing that up. The only one that I have is London, so my knowledge of the line is pretty skewed.

Not a problem at all :)

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles
6 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Got onto a seven-day-a-week work schedule until recently and haven't played since.... September?... I think it was September.

Thinking it's time to come back since life has slowed down a bit (still an essential worker). What's new?

Welcome back.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
7 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Let’s see since September of 2019...

Hindenburg received some buffs and I have been enjoying that ship.

Trying to think of Russian BBs were added before or after that point. But they can be OP with main gun aim at about 12km or less, but bad dispersion longer ranges. And while their bow armor tends to be great their side armor can eat citadels.

French DDs were added, were a bit OP, so they got nerfed.

Some new maps were added that have proven to be fun.

Italian CA line is added, but is only good tier 8+ with the Venezia being the main good ship in the entire line.

Royal Navy Heavy Cruisers line was added, but unclear still how good those are.

Yoshino which might have been considered bad like Azuma back when you played has been revealed to actually be a great ship. (Ranked season in December proved that to me without a doubt when the meta and maps in that season rendered BBs often unplayable and yet heavy gun firepower was still needed so the Super Cruisers/ Battlecruisers stepped in to very capably fill the void. And now you see in general more respect for Yoshino at least from what I have seen.)

Jean Bart was just removed from sale. And so was Smolensk.

Smolensk was considered OP, but then DD players figured out that while the Smolensk guns can be deadly to DDs, the ship lacks radar and does not always even carry hydro. So when a Smolensk smokes up if it does not have good support it’s highly vulnerable to close ranged torpedo attacks because it can in essence be blind as a bat. Plus being a CL it only takes 1-3 torpedo hits to obliterate a Smolensk since CLs tend to have really bad torpedo protection.

Not sure how upper tier French BBs were back when you played, but with ships like Smolensk running around upper tier tech tree French BBs have fallen out of favor as their armor and size makes them so easily become floating bonfires from bow to stern. So you can still use Richelieu if you want, but Lyon and below are more recommended. But Premium French BBs still do just fine, particularly Jean Bart.

The European Tech Tree DDs are proving effective at least for now, and with all upgrades possible for torpedo speed the Halland can have torpedo speeds in excess of 80knts. But the damage yield is pretty low on those torpedoes to compensate for that high speed.

Which reminds me WG recently did some Module additions and overhauls. Which turned out to be really good. Like instead of Aiming Mod 1 torpedo DDs have been using the new Torpedo module which adds I forget if it’s +5knts or +5% to torpedo running speed, added protection against torpedo tube incapacitations / Destruction, and grants the same torpedo tube traverse speed increase as the Aiming Mod did. But it can naturally make Torp boat DD guns just slightly less accurate thanks to not using Aiming Mod, so a very well balanced choice there. Other very notable module change I have liked is the second gun and AA guns rate of fire module has been combined into 1 module so a secondary gun ship can get added AA or AA ship can use added secondary gun power. And there are some other module Additions I have not yet tried, that you should check into as they might be useful for you.. But I would caution against the torpedo spotting module as even with the faster torpedoes I have not had issues with torpedo evasion out of the ordinary and the spotting module sacrifices concealment...

Oh and there is a lot of hatred among the player base regarding Puerto Rico mainly because WG broke their records in making an unrealistically difficult event grind over Christmas Break when people should spend time with family and friends instead of playing WOWs at least 12 hours a day to complete it. Or players could spend I think it was over $300 to get the ship. And PR in a lot of ways is a worse version of Alaska that gets an extra gun turret that can give it a great broadside salvo, but if in prolonged fight it typically fares worse than Alaska. And on average the player quality tends to be lower in Puerto Rico which is something to take into consideration in battles before assuming that they might make the right move or something. Like a notable battle I had a PR ram be several times at different points in the same battle, not really sure how that happened other than both of us being out in a good Super Cruiser area but I would get far away from that PR and he would still ram me in my blind spot. (Enemy was confirmed to be off in specific directions so did not need to watch the back area at times or so I had assumed.) I personally don’t hold a grudge against PR players as getting any ship is a matter of choice and to each their own in making ship purchases. But I have learned based on experience to keep a little bit of an eye on a PR in a battle as the player may not yet be qualified to play a tier X battle as a brand new player on day 1 was able to purchase the ship if desired. So while not every PR player is bad, it does not hurt to bear in mind that you may need to support them when a situation they could typically resolve solo occurs

These are the things right off the top of my head that have been changes since September.

7 hours ago, CommodoreKang said:

Various and sundry new flavors of power creep and a whole lot of the same old same old......

Actually the USN and IJN ships are as good as ever, which I attribute to their being original lines and so they have a way of enduring the passage of time in the game. It’s the “Latest and greatest” ship lines you have to be wary of before they get fully settled into the fabric of the game which at the later point and time is when their true long term nature is revealed.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,774 posts
21,548 battles

Welcome back! Get ready for subs... :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this