You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bradenton44

Ryūjō Japanese carriers are just the worst!!

15 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts

Just like every Japanese carrier i have ever play the aiming for torps is just horrible takes two to three times longer than a American Carrier. The are just the worst line in the game horrible rocket planes like driving a school bus with no power steering. And stay miles away from any premium Japanese Carriers not even close to being worth the money. 

1. American Carriers

2. UK Carriers worst damage but fun to play

3. Japanese Carriers  just mehh at everything not good at anything they are like the eight county workers standing around a hole and one is digging the whole.

Members
738 posts
7,780 battles
25 minutes ago, Bradenton44 said:

Just like every Japanese carrier i have ever play the aiming for torps is just horrible takes two to three times longer than a American Carrier.

And yet the torpedo bombers on the t4 and 6 IJN carrier are what makes those carriers so very good. This is user error.

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,149 battles
31 minutes ago, Sethanas said:

And yet the torpedo bombers on the t4 and 6 IJN carrier are what makes those carriers so very good. This is user error.

I personally think the rework is a burning dumpster full of summer fermented cafeteria slops; (for reasons which are my own,) but if I; a hatingest hater of of all the rework haters; can make IJN torpies work, then yeah...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[HINON]
Members
13,253 posts

Clearly user error. IJN tb are amazing. Yuro's video might help a bit or just ask for help if you are struggling and we can offer some tips.

• Cool 2

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,037 posts
12,715 battles
2 hours ago, Bradenton44 said:

Just like every Japanese carrier i have ever play the aiming for torps is just horrible takes two to three times longer than a American Carrier. The are just the worst line in the game horrible rocket planes like driving a school bus with no power steering. And stay miles away from any premium Japanese Carriers not even close to being worth the money. 

1. American Carriers

2. UK Carriers worst damage but fun to play

3. Japanese Carriers  just mehh at everything not good at anything they are like the eight county workers standing around a hole and one is digging the whole.

That's operator error. I drive the Ryujo a lot in operations, with excellent results. IJN CV's, except at tier 8, are pretty much best in tier for all the CV's.

The torpedo bombers take a little longer to aim, but you start your run further away, using very good air dropped torpedoes. The AP bombs are a good backup weapon for hitting battleships and big cruisers when you are waiting on torp planes to recover/regen, or your target is going up the channel on Two Brothers.

Rockets are poor, but functional, and the planes handle well enough. Rockets are not the IJN's strong point.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,040 posts
23,838 battles

Ryujo is the best performing Tier VI Carrier.

Random Battles Recorded / Win Rate % / Damage Average

Ryujo 301k / 50.74% / 41.2k

Furious 201k / 50.29% / 38.2k

Ark Royal (Premium) 36k / 48.65% / 31.5k

Ranger 255k / 48.62% / 33.8k

These are Russia Server, 1st Quarter 2020 stats.  Why RU server?  They're not biased to play any specific CV Line over the other, not like here in NA or Asia servers.  Also, RU server is the largest server in player population, dwarfing in size NA server.  This is very important because they record more games than we do.  The truth comes out more with a larger sample.

So, Ryujo is clearly doing the best there.  But I'll entertain the question that surely may arise in the minds of some out there... How is Ryujo doing in NA server?  Okay, let's check it out.

Ryujo 158k / 51.82% / 40.5k

Furious 104k / 50.6% / 38.1k

Ark Royal (Premium) 34k / 49.35% / 31.1k

Ranger 227k / 48.82% / 31.7k

Source for North American Server, 1st Quarter 2020 stats.

Both servers, Ryujo is doing the best.  Especially the much larger RU server where more battles are played.

If you want real comedy, look up the stats between Hakuryu, Audacious, and Midway in Tier X, and marvel at Hak's superiority.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,363 battles

I have them all, Ark Royal is the strongest by far with Ryujo and Ranger in a close second furious being my least favorite. 

The problem with server stats and comparing a premium with tech tree ships is there are a lot of people who just buy Ark Royal with zero CV experience and play it which brings its averages down drastically. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,040 posts
23,838 battles
3 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I have them all, Ark Royal is the strongest by far with Ryujo and Ranger in a close second furious being my least favorite. 

The problem with server stats and comparing a premium with tech tree ships is there are a lot of people who just buy Ark Royal with zero CV experience and play it which brings its averages down drastically. 

Quite the opposite, Premiums traditionally do better than Tech Tree in terms of raw stats.  Ark Royal isn't doing that.

What's stopping a newbie who's highest level of progress is Tier IV Wyoming from buying Georgia, Atlanta, Azuma, Atago?

What about Premium CVs Graf Zeppelin, Saipan, Kaga?  Their stats aren't tanking, and they're Premium CVs that any dude can go buy right now, regardless of CV experience.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,037 posts
12,715 battles
44 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Quite the opposite, Premiums traditionally do better than Tech Tree in terms of raw stats.  Ark Royal isn't doing that.

What's stopping a newbie who's highest level of progress is Tier IV Wyoming from buying Georgia, Atlanta, Azuma, Atago?

What about Premium CVs Graf Zeppelin, Saipan, Kaga?  Their stats aren't tanking, and they're Premium CVs that any dude can go buy right now, regardless of CV experience.

Most premium ships are sold for money, and as such, the players who bought them have more incentive to do well, along with more reason to continue sailing the ship and getting better with experience.

Why Ark Royal might not be doing as well as a normal premium? My guess is the over sized squadrons of low tier planes don't up-tier that well, and unlike Kaga, she can't see ships two tiers below her to absolutely crush.  There's also that she practically lives in operations where she can lord over ships 2 and 3 tiers below her, which don't have stats reported like most everything else.

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
7 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

That's operator error. I drive the Ryujo a lot in operations, with excellent results. IJN CV's, except at tier 8, are pretty much best in tier for all the CV's.

The torpedo bombers take a little longer to aim, but you start your run further away, using very good air dropped torpedoes. The AP bombs are a good backup weapon for hitting battleships and big cruisers when you are waiting on torp planes to recover/regen, or your target is going up the channel on Two Brothers.

Rockets are poor, but functional, and the planes handle well enough. Rockets are not the IJN's strong point.

I agree.

Start the aerial-torpedo attack-run from further away from the target.  Typically 7 or 6 km.  Five km is doable, but closer than that and you're going hit the "S" key to slow the planes in order to 'force' the aiming-cone to narrow enough to hit a target.
IJN aerial torpedoes travel faster than USN & RN counterparts, which helps them hit a target.

AP bombs for citadels (and to hear the lamentations of your opponents' significant-others).

Ryujo is a good CV and has an emphasis for targeting BB's and Cruisers.  
Ranger is a "general purpose" CV.
Furious is able to use two squadrons (Rockets and Bombers) to effectively hunt DD's.

The faster planes at Tier-6 need more room to maneuver and don't turn as tightly as the planes of Tier-4 CV's.  Competent players are able to adjust and adapt.

[WPORT]
Members
5,444 posts
10,491 battles
9 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Clearly user error. IJN tb are amazing. Yuro's video might help a bit or just ask for help if you are struggling and we can offer some tips.

:cap_like:

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,363 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Most premium CV do well because they are better than tech tree ships.  They are also rather pricey so most people who buy them know what they are buying and have at least some experience in them.

Ark Royal is a unique duck.  She is half the price as other premium CV because she is only t6.  Also as t6 she is the only premium CV allowed in operations where she is known as overpowered because of her larger squadron (3 drops per run rather than 2) and her powerful torpedo bombers that are very heavy to use because you can maneuver while aiming.   She is also touted as a great trainer CV because her Ordinance is so easy to use AND her plane regen is ridiculously fast.  

All this means the incentive to buy her leads newer CV captains to play her.  Put her in the hands of someone who knows how to use a CV and she is a monster.  As stated before, I have every cv in the game.  Compared to other t6 rivals, Ark Royal is amazing.   I have pulled a few 140-150k games in her and I dont play t6 often.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,363 battles

https://replayswows.com/replay/78334#stats

This replay highlights the ease of tight turns and turning while aiming allowing for repeated attacks.  Yes her planes are slow but you get 1 more drop per squadron, she drops 1 more torpedo per drop and the speed is actually an advantage when attacking.  That means one flight of tp bombers drops 9 torpedoes that are easy to use and have a rather short arming time.  Yes her planes are t4-t5 and die easily but her regen rate is so fast it does not matter.

The replay above is a middle tier game, not even top tier.  When bottom tier she does suffer some however I still always out perform the tech tree cv on the red team in her.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[-KIA-]
Supertester
34 posts
3,741 battles

After reading your other post (Kaga is trash), I'm gonna just say that it's just you not being very used to IJN CV playstyle. IJN CV is widely considered the most broken and best for competitive play due to the fact that they have high alpha and spammable TB as well has having AP bombers that literally nuke any cruiser or crippling any BB. Most of the records for CV is done with IJN CV as well. 

>aiming for torps is just horrible takes two to three times longer than a American Carrier. horrible rocket planes like driving a school bus with no power steering.

Have you done your research on the playstyle of the CV line? Rockets are their weakest suit. Accurate but if you aim wrong, you miss the strike. Also, the TB issue you're having. Have you tried starting the attack run further away like around 4-5km? Next. Are you even taking SS? If you don't move your aim with TB or any other plane type, the reticle will quickly aim down and will cause no issues. If anything, it's you that's having issues yet blaming the whole IJN CV tree lol.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,040 posts
23,838 battles
6 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Most premium ships are sold for money, and as such, the players who bought them have more incentive to do well, along with more reason to continue sailing the ship and getting better with experience.

Why Ark Royal might not be doing as well as a normal premium? My guess is the over sized squadrons of low tier planes don't up-tier that well, and unlike Kaga, she can't see ships two tiers below her to absolutely crush.  There's also that she practically lives in operations where she can lord over ships 2 and 3 tiers below her, which don't have stats reported like most everything else.

I know why it fails.  Also, in Operations, Ryujo is still better than even Ark Royal.  A major, major failing with Ark Royal in Ops isn't the tier of her planes, but how slow her planes are.  Ryujo's TB & AP Dive Bomber squads are fast, and they get good damage in.  Ark Royal's planes have decent drop patterns but they are so slow and lots of time is wasted travelling, wasting Engine Boost in empty areas of the map.

3 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Most premium CV do well because they are better than tech tree ships.  They are also rather pricey so most people who buy them know what they are buying and have at least some experience in them.

Ark Royal is a unique duck.  She is half the price as other premium CV because she is only t6.  Also as t6 she is the only premium CV allowed in operations where she is known as overpowered because of her larger squadron (3 drops per run rather than 2) and her powerful torpedo bombers that are very heavy to use because you can maneuver while aiming.   She is also touted as a great trainer CV because her Ordinance is so easy to use AND her plane regen is ridiculously fast.  

All this means the incentive to buy her leads newer CV captains to play her.  Put her in the hands of someone who knows how to use a CV and she is a monster.  As stated before, I have every cv in the game.  Compared to other t6 rivals, Ark Royal is amazing.   I have pulled a few 140-150k games in her and I dont play t6 often.

You can do better in Ryujo.

Ryujo doesn't drop as many torpedoes, but they are still effective, have a good pattern, and each torp has better alpha.

Ryujo also has AP Dive Bombers which land decisive AP Citadel hits with them for good spike damage.

Ryujo has much faster planes to get more sorties in, while Ark Royal is wasting time running Engine Boost as the aircraft are still burning Engine Boost trying to slowly plod through non-combat areas.

Aircraft Cruiser & Max Speeds

Ark Royal

Attack aircraft: 121kts / 161kts

HE level bombers & TBs:  98kts / 133kts

Ryujo

Attack aircraft:  139kts / 179kts

AP Bombers:  137kts / 177kts

TBs:  128kts / 168kts

The AP Bomb Citadel damage is decisive.  You aren't reliant on RNG for Fires to carry you.  Also, the bots can pop DCP to stop your fires as well as pop Repair Party to heal back the Fire damage.  Repair Party heals very little of Citadel damage but all of Fire damage.  This is very important in Operations because time is an issue.  Threats need to be put down, ASAP, and your CV's aircraft redirected to the next important threat.

Frequently in Operations, CVs are called upon to strike distant BBs for the purposes of objectives.  Aegis & Killer Whale being two great examples.  The BBs need to be put down before they somehow rock some players of the team, especially the Cruisers.  Ryujo has a combination of fast bombers, high alpha TB strikes (fewer torps than Ark Royal but more damage per torp) which are quickly followed with fast flying AP dive bombers getting Citadel hits.  It does very fast work.

Either way, it doesn't matter because the OP thinks Ryujo is bad when in fact she's great.  It's a fantastic CV in Tier VI and that evidence is apparent when you check how Ryujo's aircraft, ordnance are compared to her peers, as well as how she performs relative to her peers across the servers, most especially in RU server where a lot more people play.

• Cool 1