You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KelvarGarth

WHY THE HELL.......

18 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
29 posts
9,621 battles

..are consumables different letters of the alphabet on different ships? How stupid is that? 

I am sick and tired of having to know when my heal is T and when it is U. This is pretty simple as there are plenty of letters in the alphabet. MAKE IT CONSISTENT.

wth ????

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles

i am sure wargaming have announced they are fixing this but it doesnt take much to look down and see your consumables.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

i agree... they need to change it so one key is the same consumable for all ships

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,864 battles
3 minutes ago, KelvarGarth said:

..are consumables different letters of the alphabet on different ships? How stupid is that? 

I am sick and tired of having to know when my heal is T and when it is U. This is pretty simple as there are plenty of letters in the alphabet. MAKE IT CONSISTENT.

wth ????

I used to wonder about this when I first started … 

But, like so many other things … I stopped thinking about it

The game is just a vehicle into my wallet - the less efficient the better :)

• Funny 1

[--K--]
Members
5,363 posts
17,341 battles

Yeah there was a big fuss at some point when a new ship came out with the consumables re-arranged but like a lot of stuff WG ignored the complaints and the player base just got used to it. 

Fun fact, did you know in the sitting Consumable Key binds go from R to O on the top row of letters. Not sure why we need all those key binds for Consumables but I guess there will be a day when a ship has more consumables to use than the Worcester. 

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
49 minutes ago, KelvarGarth said:

wth ????

Because looking at the consumables before using them is too hard...

We definitely needed a thread about that.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
57 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

i am sure wargaming have announced they are fixing this but it doesnt take much to look down and see your consumables.

Having to check your consumables bar every time you use a consumable is just not really ideal in a pvp game, even if it does only take a split second.  You should just be able to count on the fact that a ship with Smoke, Hydro and a Heal, has those keys bound to the same buttons, regardless of whether its a Smolensk or a Minotaur or a Flint.  If I recall correctly, you can remap the keys but that doesn't allow you to make each consumable a specific letter, just change that letter.

This is more profound for people who play lots of games, but don't focus specific ships (or focus specific ships that have the same layout with different keys).

I've seen both Flambass and Flamu die this week, because the consumable was on a different letter than they were expecting.  Flambass was in a Daring and hit smoke instead of hydro I believe, and then died because his smoke was on cooldown.

Is it a huge, game breaking issue?  No.  Just annoying.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
Just now, Old_Baldy_One said:

Having to check your consumables bar every time you use a consumable is just not really ideal in a pvp game, even if it does only take a split second.  You should just be able to count on the fact that a ship with Smoke, Hydro and a Heal, has those keys bound to the same buttons, regardless of whether its a Smolensk or a Minotaur or a Flint.  If I recall correctly, you can remap the keys but that doesn't allow you to make each consumable a specific letter, just change that letter.

This is more profound for people who play lots of games, but don't focus specific ships (or focus specific ships that have the same layout with different keys).

I've seen both Flambass and Flamu die this week, because the consumable was on a different letter than they were expecting.  Flambass was in a Daring and hit smoke instead of hydro I believe, and then died because his smoke was on cooldown.

Is it a huge, game breaking issue?  No.  Just annoying.

i understand the issue i some consumables bound to my mouse and such so i dont need to look, i was trying get at before a game starts know your boat and just remind yourself what consumables are bound where.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,989 posts
5,943 battles

Yeah but then you couldn't blame the old fat finger syndrome on the rather archaic control system.  Luckily for me they are always the same.  So I get the best of both worlds.  

Members
63 posts
17,893 battles

I said it before; the consumables need to be one convenient key, similar to how "B" works, which pops up a pie menu of consumables.  The consumables will all be in the same place, just those not applicable to the ship are grayed out.

Of course we'd lose the OH CRAP I'M IN TROUBLE - QUICK SPAM ALL THE CONSUMABLE KEYS gameplay that we have now, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Members
2,792 posts
36,521 battles

Khan Noonien Singh made the same complaint about not finding the manual override button on the USS Reliant NCC-1864.

He has not complained since, but that is because he was scattered to atoms detonating the Genesis Device in the Mutara Nebula after going salty because Kurrkh blasted off one of his warp nacelles and killed all his crew due to  having good Sulu/Checkov RNG with phasers and photon torpedoes.

Oddly, that did get fixed.

Well, afterwards.

*Eats an 🍎

"I don't like to lose." Admiral James T Kirk.

Probably the only time Kirk was in a nasty fight and he didn't lose his shirt. He did lose his ability to swing his arms in a normal way. And the dramatic pose in chair was at its finest hour.

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

I remapped my keyboard for many things in this game, But consumables are the one you cannot do it for.  But it has been complained about many times to wargaming.... SADLY it is an easy fix... all they need to do is allow the play to put what where they want.

For me it would be:
W = Forward
S = Reverse
A = Left
D = Right
Q = First consumable (or if they allowed us to assign them Smoke)
E =  Second consumable (or if they allowed us to assign them Heal)
R = Third consumable (or if they allowed us to assign them torp or gun reload)
T = Fourth consumable (or if they allowed us to assign them Hydro or AA)
Z = AA sector

Yes you can remap for those who dont know it and it does make life easier.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
51 minutes ago, FearlessNight said:

I said it before; the consumables need to be one convenient key, similar to how "B" works, which pops up a pie menu of consumables.  The consumables will all be in the same place, just those not applicable to the ship are grayed out.

Dear god no.  We have enough stupid "wheels" in gaming already.  All that is required is the client allows us to bind any key to any function instead of the current bind a key to a slot.

Done.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,992 posts
9,977 battles
2 hours ago, KelvarGarth said:

wth ????

tenor.gif?itemid=15466663

We've been complaining about this for years...

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,122 posts
7,959 battles

WG says they are going to fix it "some time this year"

939860871_ScreenShot2020-04-29at10_02_01AM.thumb.jpg.26ad0eaf725f99949f11f51ea2f43960.jpg

[A-I-M]
Members
3,019 posts
13,269 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Not sure why we need all those key binds for Consumables but I guess there will be a day when a ship has more consumables to use than the Worcester. 

It’s not how many consumables one ship has, it’s how many different consumables there ARE.

DCP

Repair (heal)

Hydrophones

Radar

Smoke

Speed Boost

MBRB

TRB

Spotter/Fighter

Defensive Fire

That’s ten. And I may have missed some. Even at those ten, if you want a unique key assignment for each consumable, the assignments will end up having to spill over into the second row.

And it would require some rethinking of the in-port consumables tab - at present, where you have choice to decide between say, radar and smoke, those choices are graphically in a common slot, denoting that  the key function is determined by what you select for that slot. That presentation would no longer make sense, and (as an extreme redesign) the layout of consumable choices would be all horizontal or all vertical, (or perhaps laid out like the keyboard), and non-viable consumables for a given ship greyed out or invisible. Or, more simply, when you swap a consumable type, the present layout would simply change what letter is displayed for the activating key for that consumable, and the current slot/choice display retained.

I’m tired. I’m rambling. I’m out.

[PPNA1]
WoWS Community Contributors
16 posts
9,651 battles

This topic interests me for various reasons. In actuality the solution is pretty simplistic and it wouldn't be that difficult to program for an outfit like WG. If we have 10 different consumables (but let's round that up to 15 just to be on the safe side for future expansion) then give EVERY SHIP 10 (15) consumable slots and lock the key binds accordingly or even make them programmable via key-bind settings (even better). THEN, each ship would ONLY show the consumable slots it has available to it (lie 1, 3, 5 & 7), all of the other slots would be empty and HIDDEN from view.  Or anything along those lines would work. Smoke would always be the smoke key bind, radar always radar, etc. It works for me.....how about you?