Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Bots shooting at wrecks?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles

Anyone else notice bots occasionally shooting at wrecks? Noticed a few times long after I am sunk (too long for it to be just shell travel time. probably 30 seconds) and watching the  battle unfold, a few shells will come raining down on my wreck. All other "in the air" rounds have long since landed and even their splashes are gone. Usually dead center instead of way ahead if they had been aimed at me before I died and came to a quick stop. 

Recently I saw a green DD bot fire torps at a dead red BB. Nothing else red in the direction of the torps and some of them did hit the wreck and just missed a friendly. Only other option was that the friendly was the target.

Not sure why/how this would happen but bots do some pretty strange stuff. Not critical or game destroying, just weird. 

Edited by Sabot_100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,905
[RLGN]
Members
16,191 posts
28,079 battles

At least it’s a wreck.

Better than shells that come in and hit you long after you’ve gone dark, and have even started to maneuver.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Better than shells that come in and hit you long after you’ve gone dark, and have even started to maneuver.

Had those too where I go dark, make a sharp turn but some shells manage to find me anyway. Seems like the bots get lucky waaaaaaay to often.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
310
[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,238 posts

noticed it also, it's like it was set to shoot and you died before load was ready then shot anyway :Smile_playing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
851
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

They shoot the wrecks so ninjas can't loot them.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36
[NFFS]
Members
259 posts
7,919 battles

I have seen some odd bot behavior at times as well.  Sometimes they will fire in blindly random directions - like nowhere near another target.  They have also fired at sunken ships, long after said ship was sunk.  Just different.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
16 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure why/how this would happen but bots do some pretty strange stuff. Not critical or game destroying, just weird. 

Comparatively so do players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
31 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Comparatively so do players. 

Yes, but we know the players can be psychotic and vengeful as well as just stupid. Bots are stupid sometimes ('cuz thats the way they were programmed) but when they do stuff that makes no sense, just have to wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9
[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
35 posts
10,446 battles

 

1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Yes, but we know the players can be psychotic and vengeful as well as just stupid. Bots are stupid sometimes ('cuz thats the way they were programmed) but when they do stuff that makes no sense, just have to wonder why.

Maybe the Bot AI is watching the players and learning...

4911751.jpg

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
713 posts
On 4/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Anyone else notice bots occasionally shooting at wrecks? Noticed a few times long after I am sunk (too long for it to be just shell travel time. probably 30 seconds) and watching the  battle unfold, a few shells will come raining down on my wreck. All other "in the air" rounds have long since landed and even their splashes are gone. Usually dead center instead of way ahead if they had been aimed at me before I died and came to a quick stop. 

Recently I saw a green DD bot fire torps at a dead red BB. Nothing else red in the direction of the torps and some of them did hit the wreck and just missed a friendly. Only other option was that the friendly was the target.

Not sure why/how this would happen but bots do some pretty strange stuff. Not critical or game destroying, just weird. 

NO SURVIVORS!! Bot mantra, shoot until the world is flat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
On 4/29/2020 at 2:49 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Better than shells that come in and hit you long after you’ve gone dark, and have even started to maneuver.

Had another of those recently. Fired my port tubes and smoked up in my Nicolas as a red DD charged down the channel of Two Brothers (uncanny dodge kicks in and they all miss). He got a couple of shots at me, I landed some on him before the smoke covered me. Figured I would make a loop around while smoking to bring my starboard tubes to bear for a point blank shot when he hit 2K. Part way thru the turn, I can't see him, and I am not detected and a single shell comes from the DD and hits me. Not a salvo, just one shell. Like there was a momentary glitch in the program where  the 'target not visible, don't shoot' (we all know they track  you even wnen they can't see you) failed long enough for 1 gun to fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[NSEW]
Members
32 posts
14,298 battles

The "shooting at wrecks" feature seems to include allies' secondaries also.

On Fault map, charge and torp-kill a BB in the middle of the map, leaving his corpse east of me and leaving me on <800 health.  Remaining single enemy now waaaaay to the east, inside that fault area, totally obscured (undetected). 

Then I suddenly take a hit -- from the west!  I check minimap -- no enemies to the west! -- and then notice my ally with cruiser in that direction.  About to yell at him to stop when -- using binoculars -- I notice all his main batteries are facing other directions.  And then his secondaries fire again, and hit me again!

Drop me to sub-500 hit points.  Yeow.

So, not his fault, but scary as sin....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[CO-OP]
Members
2,319 posts
28,699 battles
On 4/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Had those too where I go dark, make a sharp turn but some shells manage to find me anyway. Seems like the bots get lucky waaaaaaay to often.

I've just raised that on another thread. They seem to be stretching the time a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
1 hour ago, Efros said:

I've just raised that on another thread. They seem to be stretching the time a bit.

COULD also be a really badly aimed shot that I happen to turn into but timing seems wrong in most of the cases.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
4 hours ago, Zoot21 said:

Then I suddenly take a hit -- from the west!  I check minimap -- no enemies to the west! -- and then notice my ally with cruiser in that direction.  About to yell at him to stop when -- using binoculars -- I notice all his main batteries are facing other directions.  And then his secondaries fire again, and hit me again!

I think WG made it so friendly secondaries would not register damage against allies since the player has no control over when or where those guns fire (the words "AIM" and "Secondaries" rarely occur in the same sentence). They aren't supposed to target allies at all, so if there were no reds in your area it means the other ship has a friend-or-foe glitch in the secondaries programming. Seeing any ship as a foe. Probably should send WG the replay if you still have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×