You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

Campaigns - Demanding more and giving less

33 comments in this topic

Members
2,138 posts
13,258 battles

I am finding the new campaign to be... weak... compared to the rewards from previous campaigns, these rewards are pitiful, and then on top of it the bars have been put up higher. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
4,276 posts
18,685 battles

Because our host has determined we need to spend more and play more to get nothing..... !   It's that simple.  Don't be confused.  The new paradigm is:  spend to participate.   Or, don't....and, don't get anything. 

Wow.  Pretty darn dark is you ask me....  Spend or leave.  A wicked bad change and a straight out mess for average players, ayeup......

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
16 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I am finding the new campaign to be... weak... compared to the rewards from previous campaigns, these rewards are pitiful, and then on top of it the bars have been put up higher. 

They figure you're just sitting at home anyway, more time to grind....:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,291 posts
17,484 battles

No more grinding for me I only play for fun any more and that is not happening very often. Take this grind and shove it, Snargfargle should make that a song.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[TASC]
Members
414 posts
9,659 battles

i ran the numbers and came up with 

i might be able to do it but why bother. 

so i started a new game and this goes in the 1/2 time bin. i will run 2-3 co-ops in a morning before work and hang out with the clan if they are on. evenings and weekends are going to be cold waters for now or borderlands3. 

if this keeps up i will cut my WOWS even more. i have already stopped trying planes and tanks as those games just were not fun. 

i hope WG will realize that there are many companies who want my fun $. most of them seem to want to give good value for the cost. WG did and now it is going away from that. has there been a change in leadership of more MBA's hired? 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
19 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

What exactly do you want out of a campaign anyway? Specifically, what did you expect out of this one that WG isn't delivering?

Issues I have are that they set the tier bar too high over too many of the tasks (there's way too much that a T8 ship can't do), and a few too many of them require wins for my liking.

In addition, IMHO the Blyskawica should have been an inclusion in the Euro ships category even though she's only at Tier 7. 

The bottleneck which constitutes almost the entirety of Mission 3 is a particular embarrassment, and I say that as someone who's got the non-Euro ships to finish it in co-op if I wanted.

What's the silver lining? I get to motivate some of my ship progressions at Tier 8 or above, particularly in ships that I should have been done with a long time ago (Monarch), or obtained at great cost (Black) or after long effort (Minotaur), only for them to languish in my port.

If you're not a co-op exclusive, you can do the whole thing starting with the minimum of a Tier 8 destroyer. If you are, you want a T8 cruiser on top of that. By the time you're up to the T9 bottleneck, at least one of those is going to be fully ground out if you play your cards right and you'll have your T9. The only thing I don't like about this is that it's a limited-time campaign and anyone who just got into the game NOW probably doesn't have enough time to grind up to T8 and get started.

Neither Sansonetti nor Cunningham nor Kuznetsov nor Auboyneau required T8-plus, and I fail to see what was gained by setting the bar high for Swirski. On the other hand, if you've got the ships to do it, it's not that hard. We were given six months to get this done, and a 50% WR potato like me had the first two missions (out of five) done in under a week and will have the third done by this Friday. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
4,276 posts
18,685 battles
22 minutes ago, rutilius83 said:

so i started a new game and this goes in the 1/2 time bin. i will run 2-3 co-ops in a morning before work and hang out with the clan if they are on. evenings and weekends are going to be cold waters for now or borderlands3. 

if this keeps up i will cut my WOWS even more. i have already stopped trying planes and tanks as those games just were not fun. 

i hope WG will realize that there are many companies who want my fun $. most of them seem to want to give good value for the cost. WG did and now it is going away from that. has there been a change in leadership of more MBA's hired? 

OK, it's not the degree that generates "silly decisions".....  Heck, I'm 1/2 done with my MBA and stopped.  There is no value in it anymore.... 

The decision was made up-on-high, that we have too much stored "value" (credits, FXP, doubloons, ECXP, etc...) and that isn't acceptable because we don't have to work at spending any in game value anymore.....  So, some spreadsheet genius, sold them the concept of "let the eat cake" and a scorched earth policy that all "real value" will be earned or issued on a "starvation schedule" until our reserves, us older and longer in game players,  "force us to spend real money" when the 2 or 3 million FXP sales ships dry us up..... 

That is what IS their plan: bankrupt the older player base and train the new guys that it's a spend to play game.....   Up or out.........  Too bad.......it was a lot of fun and we had some great times.....

• Cool 4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

latest campaign is out of my reach so don't really care...

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
8 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

That is what IS their plan: bankrupt the older player base and train the new guys that it's a spend to play game.....   Up or out.........  Too bad.......it was a lot of fun and we had some great times.....

I think you're consumed by bitterness to the point where it's warped your perceptions and you need to step away for a while. I'll enjoy seeing you in the off-topic section or in PM because I know we have common interests, but when it comes to the direction and philosophy of the game you and I are poles apart. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
4,276 posts
18,685 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What exactly do you want out of a campaign anyway? Specifically, what did you expect out of this one that WG isn't delivering?

Neither Sansonetti nor Cunningham nor Kuznetsov nor Auboyneau required T8-plus, and I fail to see what was gained by setting the bar high for Swirski. On the other hand, if you've got the ships to do it, it's not that hard. We were given six months to get this done, and a 50% WR potato like me had the first two missions (out of five) done in under a week and will have the third done by this Friday. 

1)  A good value for my time and to have some fun working towards those goals or products I can't buy out right....  Fun is the metric.  What aren't they delivering?  A reasonable chance.....  The goal is starvation of value to reduce the overall stored in game value we sit on.  Without those FXP, Credits, Coal, Steel that we store and save for future purchases, we are "forced to buy with real money" to even participate equitably....  That is what is going on.  Read Hapa's comments......that's what they say.  They figure if they eliminate my almost billion credit balance (actually, it's 634 million), eliminate my 1.3 million FXP, I'm almost out of coal since I purchased the Jean Bart; and, I'm almost out of doubloons since the pandemic closed game stops and I usually get gift cards as gifts from family........  Our host has created a "value sink" game plan to eliminate those stored values.......  Keep them poor and struggling and they'll spend real money approach....

2)  It's a paradigm shift as I have said before and Hapa seems to have unofficially confirmed in a response to me.   We enjoyed too much before 2019 and made too much in game value....  We weren't "spending real money" fast enough to insure the profit margins they projected.  So, we've seen and experienced in 2019 the new plan.......  BUY to Play right up front and in your face....  It's pay or suffer almost impossible grinds.  They've nerf'd value in Scenarios.  They've screwed with COOP which they do not want us using to farm values in.   That's what IS going on..........a new sales plan and it's up or out....  Play Randoms, buy what we offer to make things go faster OR, well, too bad you cheap COOP/F2P mains......see ya !

And, if this was a year long or more campaign, I would have chugged along at a reduced pace and played it out !  I'm just about done with the fourth star of seven at stage one.....  And yes, I'm only playing 20% of what I used to.....  But, I haven't uninstalled and I would have played until I finished it.   Now, what's the point AND THAT, is their point...........spend or leave.  

You enjoy this game and I wish you well......  Be well.  Your content is well thought out and you seem to find good in the midst of chaos.......good luck.

Members
746 posts

You can get steel from this campaign, which means that you finally can get this rare resource without having to wade into the cesspool that is Ranked. As others have mentioned, the T8+ requirement does put this out of reach for some players, which is a bummer. 

[PVE]
Members
4,276 posts
18,685 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think you're consumed by bitterness to the point where it's warped your perceptions and you need to step away for a while. I'll enjoy seeing you in the off-topic section or in PM because I know we have common interests, but when it comes to the direction and philosophy of the game you and I are poles apart. 

Yes, you are correct Sir !  I really like this game......  It's been a good time and I'll push for that to continue.  Clan less now....  I'm not sure what I want to do at this point: stay in a clan of players whom are not really playing anymore most times or leave the clan and find another that has some fun, somehow???   That is the knot I have to untie.  Apologies for the frustration speaking out causes..........

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Apologies for the frustration speaking out causes..........

No probs.

[VOP]
Members
600 posts
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

It has been a general WG trend, increase grind, decrease reward for many things not just campaigns. 

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
817 posts
9,723 battles

I don’t see the bar as that high. I will finish this way faster than the Halsey or even the Yamamoto campaigns. The ability to get steel, coal, and free xp seems reasonable to me. Are there things I’d like to see included? Sure. But it’s reasonable imo

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

seeing the reduction in "rewards" and sales and such even in WoT these days... sales that have been 50% off for things like consumables for years, are now 25% off...    beancounters have taken over hard at WG, obviously

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,467 posts
6,520 battles

The problem is...this one really isn't a "campaign"  Its just a hybrid of the former campaigns and the roll-out directives events.....a longer lasting more grindy set of directives and clearly has added a monetization element to the former "campaign"  giveaways...    It was a very simple way to appease the players pining for new campaigns and turn up the former directive grinds...   Anyway..my guess this is the closest we'll get to getting a "campaign"  in the former sense of the term, as WG seems completely focuses now on ship introductions and new content (subs) I'm certain the bean counters have realized,  that is where the money is.   Co-op, Operations, campaigns(in traditional sense) , ...PVE content..  You can probably forget these going forward.      

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Because our host has determined we need to spend more and play more to get nothing..... !   It's that simple.  Don't be confused.  The new paradigm is:  spend to participate.   Or, don't....and, don't get anything. 

Wow.  Pretty darn dark is you ask me....  Spend or leave.  A wicked bad change and a straight out mess for average players, ayeup......

1 hour ago, rutilius83 said:

1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

OK, it's not the degree that generates "silly decisions".....  Heck, I'm 1/2 done with my MBA and stopped.  There is no value in it anymore.... 

The decision was made up-on-high, that we have too much stored "value" (credits, FXP, doubloons, ECXP, etc...) and that isn't acceptable because we don't have to work at spending any in game value anymore.....  So, some spreadsheet genius, sold them the concept of "let the eat cake" and a scorched earth policy that all "real value" will be earned or issued on a "starvation schedule" until our reserves, us older and longer in game players,  "force us to spend real money" when the 2 or 3 million FXP sales ships dry us up..... 

36 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

1)  A good value for my time and to have some fun working towards those goals or products I can't buy out right....  Fun is the metric.  What aren't they delivering?  A reasonable chance.....  The goal is starvation of value to reduce the overall stored in game value we sit on.  Without those FXP, Credits, Coal, Steel that we store and save for future purchases, we are "forced to buy with real money" to even participate equitably....  That is what is going on.  Read Hapa's comments......that's what they say.  They figure if they eliminate my almost billion credit balance (actually, it's 634 million), eliminate my 1.3 million FXP, I'm almost out of coal since I purchased the Jean Bart; and, I'm almost out of doubloons since the pandemic closed game stops and I usually get gift cards as gifts from family........  Our host has created a "value sink" game plan to eliminate those stored values.......  Keep them poor and struggling and they'll spend real money approach....

2)  It's a paradigm shift as I have said before and Hapa seems to have unofficially confirmed in a response to me.   We enjoyed too much before 2019 and made too much in game value....  We weren't "spending real money" fast enough to insure the profit margins they projected.  So, we've seen and experienced in 2019 the new plan.......  BUY to Play right up front and in your face....  It's pay or suffer almost impossible grinds.  They've nerf'd value in Scenarios.  They've screwed with COOP which they do not want us using to farm values in.   That's what IS going on..........a new sales plan and it's up or out....  Play Randoms, buy what we offer to make things go faster OR, well, too bad you cheap COOP/F2P mains......see ya !

And, if this was a year long or more campaign, I would have chugged along at a reduced pace and played it out !  I'm just about done with the fourth star of seven at stage one.....  And yes, I'm only playing 20% of what I used to.....  But, I haven't uninstalled and I would have played until I finished it.   Now, what's the point AND THAT, is their point...........spend or leave.  

You enjoy this game and I wish you well......  Be well.  Your content is well thought out and you seem to find good in the midst of chaos.......good luck.

25 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

It has been a general WG trend, increase grind, decrease reward for many things not just campaigns. 

13 minutes ago, SKurj said:

seeing the reduction in "rewards" and sales and such even in WoT these days... sales that have been 50% off for things like consumables for years, are now 25% off...    beancounters have taken over hard at WG, obviously

8 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

The problem is...this one really isn't a "campaign"  Its just a hybrid of the former campaigns and the roll-out directives events.....a longer lasting more grindy set of directives and clearly has added a monetization element to the former "campaign"  giveaways...    It was a very simple way to appease the players pining for new campaigns and turn up the former directive grinds...   Anyway..my guess this is the closest we'll get to getting a "campaign"  in the former sense of the term, as WG seems completely focuses now on ship introductions and new content (subs) I'm certain the bean counters have realized,  that is where the money is.   Co-op, Operations, campaigns(in traditional sense) , ...PVE content..  You can probably forget these going forward.      

All of this is pretty much on target :Smile_sad::Smile-angry: And I notice Ranked  isn't one of areas that you can complete missions :cap_cool: in This Campaign

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 2

[--V--]
Members
1,427 posts
13,629 battles

I don't play enough to worry about campaigns anymore.  WG lost my wallet a long time ago with CV Rework and done nothing to bring it back.

• Cool 5

Members
2,138 posts
13,258 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Specifically, what did you expect out of this one that WG isn't delivering?

Compare deeds done Vs rewards.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
42 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Compare deeds done Vs rewards.

I'm in this thing for the end content, not what I can collect along the way. I'm picking the things I can do with the greatest ease and spamming them over and over again until it's done. When that's over I might come back for some of the others.

[QC_1_]
Beta Testers
141 posts
6,688 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Issues I have are that they set the tier bar too high over too many of the tasks (there's way too much that a T8 ship can't do), and a few too many of them require wins for my liking.

In addition, IMHO the Blyskawica should have been an inclusion in the Euro ships category even though she's only at Tier 7. 

The bottleneck which constitutes almost the entirety of Mission 3 is a particular embarrassment, and I say that as someone who's got the non-Euro ships to finish it in co-op if I wanted.

What's the silver lining? I get to motivate some of my ship progressions at Tier 8 or above, particularly in ships that I should have been done with a long time ago (Monarch), or obtained at great cost (Black) or after long effort (Minotaur), only for them to languish in my port.

If you're not a co-op exclusive, you can do the whole thing starting with the minimum of a Tier 8 destroyer. If you are, you want a T8 cruiser on top of that. By the time you're up to the T9 bottleneck, at least one of those is going to be fully ground out if you play your cards right and you'll have your T9. The only thing I don't like about this is that it's a limited-time campaign and anyone who just got into the game NOW probably doesn't have enough time to grind up to T8 and get started.

Mission 3 becomes tedious.

Mission 4 is a pure tier 9-10 grind, which does not help me know my tech tree progression to increase my fleet (devide if I grind the campaign and log off, or go up some trees a little).

5 is not even fun anyone, just a drag.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,192 posts
14,348 battles
3 minutes ago, gorium said:

Mission 4 is a pure tier 9-10 grind

Tasks 2 and 3 are for T8 as well.

Mission 5 Task 2 is basically "play battleships and wait for it to happen", Task 3 similar for cruisers if you're not playing Italians or British CL. 

[EQRN]
Members
2,035 posts
17,519 battles

It’s a 6 month long event, not a one-patch-only set of directives that have, in some cases, been pure burnout hell.  Take it slow and easy, it will finish itself in due time.  I don’t think we’ve even hit the one month mark and I’m on stage 3, a real pita stage I might add.  This is why I prefer campaigns to directives, one of the few things WG has done right of recent, in my very subjective book.

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,708 posts

It would have been nice if the commander was a 15 point reward like Halsey and Yamamoto. But I suppose asking WG to stick to precedent is asking too much of them these days.

• Boring 1