You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gjflanker

Bots?

5 comments in this topic

[DD975]
Members
248 posts
13,752 battles

I keep seeing players saying that another player on the team is a "bot".  I presume they mean that the ship they are saying is a bot is being automatically controlled by a program vs. being played by a person.  Does that really exist and if so, is it against the rules?  Also, how could you differentiate poor play from computer-controlled play?

Thanks.

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles

There is no such thing as bots according to WG, only "players with a passive game-style"

Yes, there are programs/scripts that control their ship, mostly with the purpose of farming XP and missions. Yes, they are aginst TOS

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,047 battles

Well any player that's below 500 PR is considered worth less then a bot?

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,553 posts
13,910 battles
33 minutes ago, gjflanker said:

I keep seeing players saying that another player on the team is a "bot".  I presume they mean that the ship they are saying is a bot is being automatically controlled by a program vs. being played by a person.  Does that really exist and if so, is it against the rules?  Also, how could you differentiate poor play from computer-controlled play?

Thanks.

There are "bots" that people run, but TBH A LOT of replays and reports I have seen are just players playing poorly. We check for bots and their activity fairly regularly and will remove those players.

-Hapa

• Cool 4

Members
2,982 posts
36,778 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

There are "bots" that people run, but TBH A LOT of replays and reports I have seen are just players playing poorly. We check for bots and their activity fairly regularly and will remove those players.

-Hapa

Yep, a few years back. I knew of one notorious one. Just simply turning in the post match report actually did something about it.

Eventually, a DERPS (DEpartment of Raging Potatoes) cruiser showed up and towed the offending perpetrator away.

It was an interesting scene and all witnesses were dismayed as the match resumed. The DERPS cruiser simply stated: " Nothing to see here! Resume the game. "

The offending player was taken away and bail was set at 10 million doubloons. No one posted bail, not even a single player. The court hearing was fast. The offending player was punished. And the ships were sunk as a practice target by shimakaze designated players.

That was a few years ago. I have seen some wierd activity, but if it looked anything like what I saw back then I just use the reporting system.

If it is a player and they are just lethargic or under the influence of potatoes, then WG takes care of it. I can't imagine how many are still doing this, because it's kind of silly.

But I guess some players are just not going to do the work. But they do get caught and punished. Usually with funny results.

Some players still play lethargic. I am still getting t- boned by cruisers and DDs in my BB. The only thing that brushes up against me more is the neighborhood cats. And I do give them my work lunch leftovers, so I guess cats like me. Or they are just training me to feed them.

One never really knows with cats. They have an interesting capability of influencing people.

• Confused 1