You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rizim

Thoughts on Spring Bundle?

23 comments in this topic

[AOD]
Beta Testers
55 posts
6,884 battles

How are those carriers in the bundle? Is the Azuma really that bad?

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles
8 minutes ago, Rizim said:

I think the bundle is Azuma, Indomitable, Graf Zeppelin, and Kaga right? If so only Kaga is really any good. I mean the price isn't too bad for the bundle overall but 3 of the ships are kind of meh to downright yuck.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
4 minutes ago, Rizim said:

Honestly, I'd rather just buy the ship on its own. The bundles include a bunch of expendables and a 10 point commander, but my philosophy on premium ships is that I'm buying them to take existing captains of the same ship type and who needs the extra?

The only exception I'd make for that is the Graf Zeppelin, if you can afford it and want her, because there aren't any German carriers yet BUT there soon will be, and being able to drop a 10 pointer into the T4 and retrain him in the Graf will make your life easier right from the start (unless you win the T6 in pre-release, in which case skip the T4 because there are too many CVs in T4 MM already). 

Kaga is probably the best of the bunch as an all-rounder, but Azuma seems to be generally regarded as the weakest of the resource cruisers and the others seem to be in the category of having their hardcore detractors and their hardcore fans with very little middle ground. The problem is that both the Indomitable and the Graf Zep are meme ships, the Indom because she's absolutely dependent on fires for damage over time with no solid alpha strike (no torpedo bombers) while the Graf Zeppelin is a meme machine which is all too frequently used as a light cruiser with a very large air complement.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles

Yeah, I'm not a fan of carriers - i really dont know how to play them well so I dont have fun.  

Also, I'm generally not a fan of the bundles.  I dont like paying money for things like expendable camos and flags, even if the boosts are material.  

And, in this particular case, I dont really have any interest in any of the ships in the bundle.  The GK seems interesting from a purely meme perspective, but see point 1 above...

As such, this is a simple hard pass for me...

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Do you already have premium time? If not use money on that instead of a ship so that no matter what you play you get more bang per game in xp and credits. Although I have almost every premium ship, I may have only purchased one or two of them directly, and never play them any more. Leningrad and Boise.

The Azuma is a good ship, the issue is, is it a good enough ship for what it costs? Both in real money today or the resources used in game to get it earlier? 

As for the CV's I would go for the Free Lexington over the Kaga, Saipan and Graf. And I have all three. It is a very strong ship. I would also say the free Shokaku is very strong and can easily hang with and defeat the premiums for sale. If you are set on getting a CV make sure it is IJN or US so you can at least use that Captain in two CV's.

As for the bundles, I typically earn those flags in game each day and rarely run out. There is value and perceived value. I see no real value in those bundles. I do see value in the Santa Crates, which is where I spend 90% of my money on this game.

Just my .02

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,193 battles

they are selling them as separate as well so you can just buy what you want. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,192 posts
16,909 battles

I do not play carriers at all. But, I got the Led Zeppelin (sounds cooler for some reason) black edition from a crate and it looks pretty sharp. Since I'm terrible at carriers I only tried it in co-op and got two kills with secondaries so it's pretty fun in that regard. I also got a negative karma report even though it was an easy win and I got three total kills - go figure. 

I'd skip the bundle. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,072 posts
36,072 battles
1 hour ago, Rizim said:

Azuma is great. I love that ship. Good fire chance, excellent rudder for dodging shells at range, excellent AP that wrecks cruisers, especially the disgusting Brokelenks. She makes good coin too, like any T9 premium.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
661 posts
6,278 battles

Don't play much CVs anymore.   Kaga -- great torp spread.   Indomitable  --  consistent, but boring as hell unless you like doing only carpet bombing runs all day.   Graf  --  people only seem to play it for the secondaries as opposed to its flight characteristics nowadays

As for Azuma, I like it.   Both it and its USN cousin, Alaska, seem to fall under love it/hate it depending on who you talk to.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
51 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Tiger said:

My thought is that anyone giving them money right now - when so much of the game's future is completely up in the air - needs to have their head examined.

but you don't play or pay attention to the forum i thought

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
8,359 posts
14,162 battles
59 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Tiger said:

My thought is that anyone giving them money right now - when so much of the game's future is completely up in the air - needs to have their head examined.

People have been echoing this same statement for over three years now.  

It basically comes down to a choice of whether someone wants to invest in this as their hobby or not.  Don't pass judgement on others if they decide to do so.

40 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Azuma is great. I love that ship. Good fire chance, excellent rudder for dodging shells at range, excellent AP that wrecks cruisers, especially the disgusting Brokelenks. She makes good coin too, like any T9 premium.

You must be in the minority on this one, @Taichunger, but I love your honesty. 

I like making quirky or derided ships work, but I've been on the fence on Azuma for awhile now.  I've had the FXP to get it for some time, but I have a hard time looking past the fact that Yoshino seems better in every way, and frankly, is likely what Azuma should have been in the first place.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Tiger said:

My thoughts exactly.

• Boring 3

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
30 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yoshino seems better in every way, and frankly, is likely what Azuma should have been in the first place.

If I were in the market for either of these ships, which I'm not (my priorities lie elsewhere), my thought processes would be:

1) I can have the same basic ship at Tier 9 without torpedoes or at Tier 10 with torpedoes.

2) More things happen at Tier 10 than Tier 9, e.g. Clan battles and Ranked seasons (barring exceptions and experiments, of course).

3) Therefore, why should I even touch the T9 over the T10 when the T10 has more utility thanks to its extra weapon system and the things which happen in its tier bracket? If I'm playing at Tier 9 I should expect to see Tier 10 anyway; the only reason to go with the torp-less T9 version is the way that MM seems to make T7 my T9 ships' food more often... but that may yet change.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
501 posts
11,337 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Tiger said:

It's good to know we have people like you who are in a position to judge how others choose to use their disposable income.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

:Smile_teethhappy: Just seen the $32 ask for the Hayate….camo!

:Smile_sad:Meanwhile in the real world: US unemployment applications reach over 26m as states struggle to keep up!

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,909 battles
2 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

:Smile_teethhappy: Just seen the $32 ask for the Hayate….camo!

:Smile_sad:Meanwhile in the real world: US unemployment applications reach over 26m as states struggle to keep up!

Yeah, the disconnect is amazing … 

It's actually worse in Russia with protests and $20 oil 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,935 posts
8,014 battles

All of the ships in that bundle have issues. Of them, Kaga and Azuma are the best pick-ups. Kaga’s planes are horrendous but she has a lot of them, and her torpedo bombers are actually pretty effective. Azuma is a great gunship cruiser until the exact moment that she comes under heavy fire, then it all goes pear-shaped. Graf Zeppelin is a bloated heavy cruiser that occasionally launches semi-useful planes, and Indomitable has a tiny, crappy air wing and literally lives and dies by your fire setting RNG. All in all this bundle is not unlike your local grocer selling you stale bread, and trying to sweeten the deal by tossing in some spoiled meat and unripe vegetables. 

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
10 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

All of the ships in that bundle have issues. Of them, Kaga and Azuma are the best pick-ups. Kaga’s planes are horrendous but she has a lot of them, and her torpedo bombers are actually pretty effective. Azuma is a great gunship cruiser until the exact moment that she comes under heavy fire, then it all goes pear-shaped. Graf Zeppelin is a bloated heavy cruiser that occasionally launches semi-useful planes, and Indomitable has a tiny, crappy air wing and literally lives and dies by your fire setting RNG. All in all this bundle is not unlike your local grocer selling you stale bread, and trying to sweeten the deal by tossing in some spoiled meat and unripe vegetables. 

Not exactly a glowing review, lol! From my experience, I'd have to agree.

[INTEL]
Members
13,072 posts
36,072 battles
9 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

People have been echoing this same statement for over three years now.  

It basically comes down to a choice of whether someone wants to invest in this as their hobby or not.  Don't pass judgement on others if they decide to do so.

You must be in the minority on this one, @Taichunger, but I love your honesty. 

I like making quirky or derided ships work, but I've been on the fence on Azuma for awhile now.  I've had the FXP to get it for some time, but I have a hard time looking past the fact that Yoshino seems better in every way, and frankly, is likely what Azuma should have been in the first place.

I have both and I prefer Azuma, even against the 20 km meme torps of Yoshino.

1. You see T7s in Azuma. In Yoshino there are a lot more ships that can really hurt you at range. Right now T9 has the best MM, I think.

2. Yoshino doesn't feel like it turns as sharply as Azuma. I almost never get cit in Azuma through the stern. It has happened a few times in Yoshino.

3. If I want to set people on fire at T10, I play Thunderer, which also has some armor and can carry if played properly.

4. Azuma makes more credits.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,661 posts
8,800 battles
10 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I agree. I really enjoy the Azuma as well. She really does a number on ships with her AP/HE.