You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

What are the best CVs at each tier?

26 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

Also what duties for the T4 Cvs? There's no fighter plane right? So just torp things? 

It seems like due to low damage, one should go for DDs almost exclusively now, then CAs then BBs right? 

And CVs have a defense fighter plane? 

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
386 posts
6,422 battles

The best CVs are the ones that were removed from the game.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,055 posts
36,014 battles

No CV is good at any tier.

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[SIM]
Members
4,928 posts
8,006 battles

Tier IV - Not Hermes

Tier VI - Ranger

Tier VIII - Probably Enterprise? Shokaku and Lexington are no slouches

Tier X - Midway

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier X Hakuryu by a massive margin

In your opinion, what accounts for this superiority? I must confess to an intense dislike of AP bombs, if only because because I suck at bomb.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,703 battles

Personally:

T4 Langley or Hosho

T6 Ryujo

T8 depends on your flavor carrier, I have fun Indomitable (Sky Conqueror) and Enterprise.  Sexy Lexy and Shokaku are there as well.

T10, Hak gets the node because of her torps raw Alpha and Concealment.  But for Damage over Time (DoT) Midway is probably the better boat.  And DoT was what WeeGee was hoping for.   Audacious is also a DoT bote.  

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
59 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In your opinion, what accounts for this superiority? I must confess to an intense dislike of AP bombs, if only because because I suck at bomb.

Most RN CVs are very one trick pony carriers.  Their best asset are their TBs which are very comfortable to use, the aim reticle narrows even during maneuver, but so many of their CVs are worse in everything outside that.  The HE level bombers are all but useless except on Audacious at Tier X.  A major failing with the HE level bombers is they're low HE pen and not many bombs are dropped.  There's A LOT of misses.  This only gets rectified with Tier X Audacious.  She still has low HE pen bombs, but she drops tons of them that she's bound to get a good number of hits, even on an unwise perpendicular attack run, whereas prior tiers of RN CVs will have tons of misses.  And of the few hits made, lots will be non-pens.  Audacious gets around that by dropping tons of bombs.  Even then, she falls short of Midway and especially Hakuryu.

Tier VI

Ranger - Horrible CV, even for Operations.  The TBs drop only 2 torps, and not only that, they have a YOOOOGE gap, if not careful on an attack run seeing the full side of a large BB, the gap is so large that the BB can fit in between them.  I'm not talking about a BB combing the torps, I'm talking the torps will pass the bow and stern.  That's how large a gap these things drop.  Nimitz help you if you're trying to drop on a smaller Cruiser or worse, a DD.  The amount of bombs dropped by the DBs and their accompanying accuracy makes them pretty useless.  Attack planes have good speed and are decent.  I feel Ranger is a 1 trick pony.

Furious - Just no.  TBs are nice, but she's too reliant on them as the attack planes and HE level bombers just suck.  Not enough ordnance being tossed around.

Ryujo - Faster TBs & DBs than RN & USN CV.  Good TBs, and the AP bombs can be effective against CAs and BBs.  Most particularly RU & German BBs, she'll get AP Citadel bomb hits.  This is important because Citadel damage "sticks" to the target and Repair Party heals so little Citadel damage back, whereas Fire damage can be healed back 100%.

Tier VIII

Lexington - IMO, "The Standard" I hold every Tier VIII Carrier to.  The player also has option to use the more "normal" HVAR rockets.  Lots of rockets and are effective when you need to shotgun DDs.  The rockets also fly faster than Enterprise's FFAR rockets.  Or, the player can opt to use the very large, but fewer in number Tiny Tim rockets.  Massive HE Pen, higher damage, much higher fire chances.  The catch is you fire far less rockets than HVAR fitted Corsairs.  It can be a problem engaging DDs with Tiny Tims, but if you make a hit, they're not going to like it.  The TBs & DBs are good to go.  You have a good balance of quantity of ordnance to drop per attack flight.  The TBs improve in drop pattern and you also now drop 3 instead of 2 torps.  The DBs can drop 6 bombs with great HE Pen and Fire Chance.  This CV is very well rounded.

Implacable - Refer you to Furious.  The same problems as before, only now you deal with the sh*t seeing up to Tier X.  Not fun.

Shokaku - Tier for tier, the worst tech tree IJN CV, which is a shame because in the RTS CV days, this was a bada** Carrier and I hated dealing with her.  She sucks.  The main problem for her is not enough ordnance in her attack groups, in particular the TBs & DBs.  The strength of the TB & DB ordnance is actually good to go, but she doesn't sling enough of them per attack group.  2 torps max per attack run.  3 AP bombs max per attack run, not enough as dispersion / RNG screws her over.

Tier X

Midway - Decent, rounded CV, Lexington ramped up to Tier X.  Tiny Tim or HVAR rocket options again, but with more ordnance.  You drop a lot of low power torps, but the aim reticle takes a long time to narrow.  This means you need to start your attack run further out to make sure you get the narrowest drop pattern.  Movement side to side screws that up bad.  Takes getting used to.  She's not bad, she's pretty good to go, it's just Hakuryu is still better.

Audacious - The TBs are a blast to use, as always with RN CV TBs.  The attack planes / rocket planes drop a good volume of rockets.  The HE level bombers drop tons of bombs.  She's the best RN CV in the game, fixes major issues her predecessors have.

Hakuryu - The best Tier X CV, Live right now.  Fastest DBs & TBs.  The BB, CA, Super Cruiser Killer.  The TBs drop the least amount of torps at Tier X, but the torps are almost double the damage her peers this tier do.  The AP Bombers punish heavier ships harshly.  The attack / rocket planes are serviceable against DDs but Midway & Audacious rocket planes are better in that capacity.  But the TBs & AP DBs are a powerful combination in dealing with larger ships.  You can slam with TBs and then come back and slam them with AP Bombs and getting Citadel hits.  And then, we come back to the best TB & DB speed at Tier X.  She'll hit you with one bomber type and then her fast flying bombers will be on you again sooner than her peers.  The speed is also great in "blitzing in and out" of AA bubbles.  Slower bombers end up eating more AA and losses.  She's most effective against CAs, Super Cruisers, Battleships as their big bulk, size, even the CAs, only means that it ensures the AP bombs fuse.  The only caveat is that using AP Bombs takes more skill to use properly than HE Bombs.  Considering Battleships have always been popular, the proliferation of Super Cruisers, there's no shortage of juicy targets for Hakuryu's AP Bombers.

- It's been funny watching Tier X CV stats.  She does well in Randoms, but it's amusing to see how much better she does in Ranked than Midway and Audacious.  It's like Hakuryu players flip a switch and then just completely surpasses Midway and Audacious.

- Funny observation with her TBs.  Her TBs can be intercepted by a CV's fighter cap, but if you pop her TB Repair Party as they engage you, she can tank them.  The fighter cap runs out of ammo and returns to the CV to rearm, you can then come back and do another attack run with the TBs while there's no fighter cap.  Midway & Audacious can't do this, their TBs get wiped out by fighter caps.  It's funny because her TBs have lower HP than the equivalents from Midway & Audacious.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles

@HazeGrayUnderway thanks for the breakdown.

I currently have all current lines up to T8, pushing towards Audacious because I have Cunningham and until recently because I had a free permacamo on the Implacable and none of the others. 

I tried Midway on the PTS but I found her torpedoes disappointing and felt Lexington was in some ways the better (more enjoyable) ship. I may get some more time in with Lexy because I whaled the Ovechkin bundle (yeah, I know, judge me) and now she has a permacamo. I have tried and tried and tried with Tiny Tims but I just can't seem to get them right; the HVARs get far better results in my hands. Now that the permacamo makes things a bit more affordable in co-op without constantly having to burn flags, I might go get some more Tiny Tim practice in.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,042 posts
12,718 battles
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Also what duties for the T4 Cvs? There's no fighter plane right? So just torp things? 

It seems like due to low damage, one should go for DDs almost exclusively now, then CAs then BBs right? 

Tier 4 CV's, learn how to operate CV's, get your experience, and move up. No real best or worst, just get past them. Tier 4's have a self defense fighter, and that's it. Tier 6 and up get patrol fighters to drop as well. Spotting DD's so your team is more likely to win is always good, the other team will hate you anyway. Even if your own teammates hate CV's, they usually like winning enough to keep their mouths shut about it.

Tier 6, For general purpose work, Ryujo. For operations,  either Ryujo or Ark Royal, it's a toss up.

Tier 8, It's easier to list the bad CV's, Indomitable, Implacable, and Saipan. (from worst to best of the bottom runners) Enterprise is the best overall, but the rest are all very good CV's.

Tier 10,  Hakuryu, hands down.

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

thanks for the perspective players. 

Surprisingly, what I was actually hoping for was which was better Hosho or Langley (IF there is an answer). As right now I plan to get some experience in the seal-club league. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
6,894 battles

Play the ship, learn the ship, that is the only way you can find what is the best for you. Or change your tactics if that is what is preventing you from playing different CVs. I've been playing only Old Ryujo for 1455 battles. Playing anything else from Old CV's I found impossible either due to the fact that after Tier VII you really do need two Fighter Squadrons to live and that just by having that additional Squadron screwed up how I played. New CVs, Lexington is easier to play but the way she handles is a far cry in comparison to New Ryujo and only recently have I started playing New Shokaku and her planes feel just right to handle compared to New Lexington.

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

I honestly don't care that much. 

I had great fun a year ago div-ing Orion + Hosho. That combo was basically perfect against ANYThing the game had. (Both ships were honestly OP). 

I'm just looking to have a good time chilling out in T4 with a very strong CV. 

Also looking to see if I can replicate that div. nerfed Orion I can live with. The basterd is still probably OP. (much less OP than Nikolai now, but anyway)
(Side topic: yeah, the low tier BBs are way overpowered compared to the CAs. There's only like 2 instances vs 20 that I'd take any T4/5 cruiser {okay, furutaka id take over Nassau} over a T3 BB that's how badly op they are in any T4 or T5 battle. Two tiers of freaking difference.) 

Edited by BlailBlerg

[BONKS]
Members
1,495 posts
50 battles

T4
Hosho is the best by an extremely wide margin, her TBs are far too powerful for her tier and easily allow her to outclass her contemporaries. She's also the most mobile of the bunch and cannot be run down by even low tier BBs unlike Langley.
Langley is decent enough. Just watch your positioning, you're basically an island as far as mobility goes.
Hermes lags behind as she simply cannot compete in TB striking power.

T6
Ryujo takes top spot due to providing the best damage potential overall.
Ark Royal apparently is a contender for top spot as well though I haven't played her personally.
Ranger is decent enough with good damage potential across the board, just not as good as Ryujo.
Furious is workable but simply can't keep up with her competition.

T8
Enterprise hands down, also the most blatantly overpowered premium ship in the entire game as literally a T10 CV at T8. This is a ship without any real weaknesses and possesses superlative qualities across the board. There's a reason she isn't sold anymore.
Next best CV that is actually available is Shokaku with an all around strike package that can compete with Enterprise but lacks the quick regen of the latter. If she had that she'd actually be better.
After that comes Lexington with an overall flexible and powerful strike loadout. Where she truly falls short however is that she doesn't up-tier too well as her bombs can fail against some heavier deck plating.
Saipan is effective but has a very high skill floor due to the need of managing your reserves very carefully.
Kaga is a poor man's Lexington in terms of striking power but fairly noob friendly due to her large reserves.
GZ is often described as a cruiser with planes strapped on, having among, if not the highest gun DPM in the game with her secondaries. Her striking power however is mediocre, as such she's best treated as a meme.
Implacable is a T8 CV with the striking loadout that would fit better at T6. Not much more needs to be said about her.
Indomitable is the epitome of a worthless damage farmer. She excels at making BB life a burning inferno but does little else, as such has terrible match impact. If you like farming BB tiers, this is the CV to do it with. If you like to actually win, look elsewhere.

T10
In randoms Hakuryu and Midway both are actually on par, especially with the recent introduction of PEU DDs which Midway handles way better than Haku. In competitive however Hakuryu reigns supreme due to her incredibly hard hitting AP bombs which are the nightmare for most meta ships.
Audacious is decent, perhaps the only good CV in her entire line, but lags behind in damage potential compared to her contemporaries. Her TBs are great, but her rockets are far too slow and too inaccurate to be truly effective and her bombs have questionable utility against a wide range of targets. Still, a fellow CV main actually swears by her and does very well with her, so perhaps that's just me.

Edited by El2aZeR

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
On 4/29/2020 at 5:26 AM, Kartaugh said:

The best CVs are the ones that were removed from the game.

Ranger and Lex are the best. 

IJN is feast or famine. If you get cots then its a great game.  If you don't its frustrating.

British.....well I reground it all I can say.  Torps are very easy to use but bombers and be very frustrating.

T10 its a toss up.

Edited by jags_domain

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

T4
Hosho is the best by an extremely wide margin, her TBs are far too powerful for her tier and easily allow her to outclass her contemporaries. She's also the most mobile of the bunch and cannot be run down by even low tier BBs unlike Langley.
Langley is decent enough. Just watch your positioning, you're basically an island as far as mobility goes.
Hermes lags behind as she simply cannot compete in TB striking power.

T6
Ryujo takes top spot due to providing the best damage potential overall.
Ark Royal apparently is a contender for top spot as well though I haven't played her personally.
Ranger is decent enough with good damage potential across the board, just not as good as Ryujo.
Furious is workable but simply can't keep up with her competition.

T8
Enterprise hands down, also the most blatantly overpowered premium ship in the entire game as literally a T10 CV at T8. This is a ship without any real weaknesses and possesses superlative qualities across the board. There's a reason she isn't sold anymore.
Next best CV that is actually available is Shokaku with an all around strike package that can compete with Enterprise but lacks the quick regen of the latter. If she had that she'd actually be better.
After that comes Lexington with an overall flexible and powerful strike loadout. Where she truly falls short however is that she doesn't up-tier too well as her bombs can fail against some heavier deck plating.
Saipan is effective but has a very high skill floor due to the need of managing your reserves very carefully.
Kaga is a poor man's Lexington in terms of striking power but fairly noob friendly due to her large reserves.
GZ is often described as a cruiser with planes strapped on, having among, if not the highest gun DPM in the game with her secondaries. Her striking power however is mediocre, as such she's best treated as a meme.
Implacable is a T8 CV with the striking loadout that would fit better at T6. Not much more needs to be said about her.
Indomitable is the epitome of a worthless damage farmer. She excels at making BB life a burning inferno but does little else, as such has terrible match impact. If you like farming BB tiers, this is the CV to do it with. If you like to actually win, look elsewhere.

T10
In randoms Hakuryu and Midway both are actually on par, especially with the recent introduction of PEU DDs which Midway handles way better than Haku. In competitive however Hakuryu reigns supreme due to her incredibly hard hitting AP bombs which are the nightmare for most meta ships.
Audacious is decent, perhaps the only good CV in her entire line, but lags behind in damage potential compared to her contemporaries. Her TBs are great, but her rockets are far too slow and too inaccurate to be truly effective and her bombs have questionable utility against a wide range of targets. Still, a fellow CV main actually swears by her and does very well with her, so perhaps that's just me.

The British just never worked for me. Rockets are weak bombs never pen but can start fires. The torps are very easy to use.

I disagree with Graff.  Her planes as so fast that you can have almost 2 striks in befoee the forst one return depending on how close you are.

Rockets suck bur I am getting the wacky bomb drop it has.  

I would say it is the most fun because its so different.

And the FDR looks more frustrating and fun or good.  T6 speed" torp drop means you might get 4 but thats it and the torp damage is nothing. Rockets and bombs drop like British level bombers 

If they the CV itself say 10km stealth it could work because you could get in close.

At to the frustration is the 30 sec reload time of sq. 

Wait and see.

[WPORT]
Members
5,458 posts
10,494 battles
On 4/29/2020 at 5:25 AM, BlailBlerg said:

Seek out and spot opposition ships.
Sink DD's
Sink BB's & Cruisers
Sink opposition CV's
Sink the "red ship" closest to you and doing the most damage to you.  :-)

Tier-4 CV's have a defensive fighter plane consumable.  It's job is to defend the CV from air-attack.  It is triggered automatically if opposing planes get close enough to the CV.

[WPORT]
Members
5,458 posts
10,494 battles

What are the best CVs at each tier?

By BlailBlerg,

I like all the CV's I've played, so far (Tier-4 through Tier-8) and I played CV's before the re-work, too.

It is merely that they have different emphasis on capabilities of ship & planes.

If you're hunting DD's, then the British are preferable, because both their rocket planes and their bombers are able to hit them effectively.
If you're not sure what you're gonna encounter, the US-Navy CV's are good at being "general purpose", but aren't the best in any one category.
If you want to score citadel hits with AP bombs and launch fastest-for-their-tier aerial torpedoes, then the Japanese tech-tree CV's are your tool of choice.

At Tier-8, Graf Zeppelin is the secondary-battery meme-ship. 
With the right Captain's skills, she can sink DD's from about 7 to 9 km away and give other ships "secondary battery envy".
Her planes are fast enough, but their ordnance isn't the most damaging.  

Tier-6 Ark Royal is fun to play in Scenario Operations.

[WPORT]
Members
5,458 posts
10,494 battles
14 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

thanks for the perspective players. 

Surprisingly, what I was actually hoping for was which was better Hosho or Langley (IF there is an answer). As right now I plan to get some experience in the seal-club league. 

Hosho is the better of the two, but that is because Hosho sails faster.
Hosho can get around the map more quickly and has a better chance of out-running a threat.
If Langley, the 15-knot-top-speed-converted-Collier, is caught flat-footed, the she's got to win by fighting because she isn't fast enough to run away from anything (including a submerged submarine).

Between the two of them, their planes are capable of similar performances.  Some planes faster, some put out more damage, but all are competent at Tier-4.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,206 battles

- Hosho
- Furious is pretty potent with its higher HP aircraft, I do well in it, but aircraft speed isn't the best
- T8 -- I'd have to go with the TT Lex. -- enterprise is tied with it due to its ability to print planes and it having a massive fighter drop, though I don't have any premium CVs and E isn't for sale -- at T8 both RN CVs are horrible
- T10 - Varies.... In ranked sprint, Midway is a far superior DD hunter, so it gets an ever-so-slight advantage there.  It can hunt DDs effectively with all 3 of its aircraft -- there's no better smoked-up-ship destroyer than the Midway's torp bombers.  Hunting enemy CVs, again Midway's torp bombers with their 50% greater alpha over hak are excellent.   The TTs  can brake and hit more DDs than any other CV, easily the best rockets in the game; they can pen everything.   For punishing island humpers, the hak bombers are very effective so long as the hits are cits.  Hak torp bombers take off with far too many -- you need to shed half of them to prevent getting wiped out.

To start with, US line is the better line to learn, the JP line is the most skill dependent, and the RN line is okay, but boy does implacable suck.

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
993 posts
On 4/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, CV_Jeebies said:

but boy does implacable suck.

Broke 100k with her recently as bottom tier so I can’t agree with you.  Can’t wait until I can finish the grind for Audacious :cap_look:

Edited by gbgentry

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,206 battles
1 minute ago, gbgentry said:

Broke 100k with her recently so I can’t agree with you.  Can’t wait until I can finish the grind for Audacious :cap_look:

Just did a whole 9 minute long game with lex this morning and did 72k before mercy kicked off.  Reds lemming'd to the cap I was suppressing, wiped out a T9 dd not even 3 minutes in and got his buddy down to 2.5k health where he quickly ran off to the back of the map for the rest of the few minutes that were left in the match.  Took out a mass that pushed through the other flank while continually suppressing the lemming train -- they didn't get 1 cap despite having 9 of their team at A against 6 of ours.

Here's my record card for implacable over the course of 33 games -- it sucks
image.png.9229c230f73cfefb7b1610b26dce3885.png

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
993 posts
On 5/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, CV_Jeebies said:

Here's my record card for implacable over the course of 33 games -- it sucks
image.png.9229c230f73cfefb7b1610b26dce3885.png

I disagree with you but can admit that it might be the perspective of elite vs average.  Your scores that “suck” are good enough to be Top 5% of any t8 CV in the game.  For me, it’s the only CV that I don’t dread the thought of being uptiered and feel I can do well in the irregardless (having broken 100k again as bottom tier) in battles that aren’t over quickly.  Not disputing that it’s slowish planes with slow regin.  

Edited by gbgentry

[NUWES]
Members
3,133 posts
10,710 battles

Truthfully, very few CVs are weak at any tier. The only ones I would not recommend are Graf Zeppelin and Indomitable, which are both premiums. Those two are not good all-rounders. They require a really high skill level and specific playstyles to maximize their efficiency. I wouldn't worry about which is most powerful because they are all quite good except the two I listed.

You don't need to go for DDs exclusively. All you actually need to do is harass them and keep them out of the caps. If a DD is overextended and you can sink it or get it sunk by your team obviously you should do so but don't go chasing them into the backfield. That's a waste of time and it will lose you the game. 

Your priorities as a CV are:

1. Provide vision.  This is above all things. It matters most against DDs, but it is important at all times. You will reap the benefits in spotting damage and it helps your team position better. 

2. Cover your allied DDs who are trying to cap with fighter consumables. You don't have this at T4 and you won't be able to do it all the time, but do it as often as you can. Your DDs will appreciate it and it helps in the win column. If other non-DD allies are pushing, do them a favor and drop a fighter consumable for them too, particularly BBs with weak AA. 

3. Harass enemies trying to cap. This is the reverse of #2. Only radar cruisers are as effective at this as CVs are, but their effectiveness is different. Radar cruisers can sustain the harass while their radar is up. You can do it at longer range, but you can't really sustain it so time your harass well. Rocket planes are best at this because they are quicker (except GZ's) and rockets travel faster. Rocket them to reset the cap, fly away and come back in a bit when the cap needs to be reset again. 

4. Finish cripples! Finish cripples! Finish Cripples! I cannot emphasize this enough. Failing to do this will come back to haunt you later. No one does this better than CVs. Keep watch on the map for ships with low health and finish them. I don't believe in kill stealing. I believe in winning. This is vital on ships which can heal, particularly UK ships with their huge heals. If you let them heal all the damage you put in is completely wasted. If your team is beating something down. Don't leave it be because you fell bad. Curb stomp it until it is dead.

5. Anything else that is vulnerable. If nothing else is particularly requiring your immediate attention, go after ships that are isolated and have weak AA. This may be a DD doing a flanking attack, but what you really want is a big, fat BB. Contrary to what people will tell you, going after DDs is annoying. You won't get a lot of points and hitting them isn't easy. They are a lot of work and you won't get much credit for it in the damage meters, but you will get credit in the win column.

That being said what CVs really want to go after is isolated BBs, particularly ones with weak AA. The Musashis, Ashitakas, Mutsus, Ark-Betas, of the WoWS world are your best friends. BBs are your ideal targets because they are big targets and can eat all of your bombs, rockets or torps which maximizes your damage per attack. IJN BBs are the best ones to go after as they have lousy AA across the board (except for Kii) and generally have poorer armor schemes. If you have AP bombs, German BBs should be high on your list. I'll spare you the porn jokes about swallowing but German BBs are really vulnerable to AP bombs for reasons I won't go into to save space in this already-too-long post. 

Last note: Use islands. Islands block AA fire. If a target ship is sitting near an island, attack from over the island. It will block AA fire and let your planes fly through the long and medium range AA auras without interference. This is particularly important for DBs. 

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

Can t4 cvs even drop fighters for friendlies? I don’t know how to do it yet.