Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mad_Dog_Magoo

Halland torp speed

13 comments in this topic

[WORX]
Members
10,669 posts
18,558 battles
10 minutes ago, Mad_Dog_Magoo said:

How do i get the torp speed more than 90 knots. No Zoup for You says it can be raised to above 95 knots.

Base speed is 86, I am guessing with upgrades its 90MPH... Any hugher and I think you sacrifice torp dist. by %20

Members
1,493 posts
10,847 battles

seems like a waste of captain points just for an extra 5 knots on torps that are already relatively undodgeable

[PVE]
Members
6,172 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Mad_Dog_Magoo said:

How do i get the torp speed more than 90 knots. No Zoup for You says it can be raised to above 95 knots.

One of the upgrade gives 5 knots & commander skill gives 5 knots w/a 20% reduction on range but as stated above the commander skill is a waste of range for 5 knots when they are so fast to begin with.

The upgrade even sounds like a waste w/those speeds & is probably better used for something else but...to each their own.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,089 battles

Here's the various  speeds you can achieve with Halland and the approximate reaction times for a stationary target.

• Base Speed:  86 knots with ~7.8s reaction time.
  • Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 (3rd upgrade slot):  90 knots with ~7.4s reaction time.
  • Torpedo Acceleration Skill (2pts)91 knots with ~7.4s reaction time.
  • Both Skill & Upgrade:  95 knots with ~7.1s reaction time.

Halland's torpedoes may be super fast but they have an enormous detection range of 1,800m. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,610 posts
3,593 battles

1.8km? Isn't that just 0.1 worse than the 1.7 of the IJN? doesn't seem enormous for a rather hefty speed increase. 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,191 battles

yeah but the speed makes them hard to deal with and catch a lot of people. I love this ship and to be fair if they dropped the torp detect range then the ship would be OP. 

Members
60 posts
8,615 battles

90 knots with Torpedo Tubes Mod 1 & 2. 95 knots with acceleration. But, it's not worth losing the 3km range imo. Remember, you have no smoke, slower than many CA and not particularly stealthy. So, your engagement range is often outside of 12k. Especially early in the game. 

58 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

yeah but the speed makes them hard to deal with and catch a lot of people. I love this ship and to be fair if they dropped the torp detect range then the ship would be OP. 

Hardly. They have a relatively wide spread, CA's and DD's can avoid them pretty easily.The farther the target is, the easier they are to avoid. I have 2% higher hit ratio with Halland than my other DD's. Even so, they do about 7k damage (regardless of what the max damage is). So, it takes a butt ton of hits to sink a full health BB. The damage should be the same as Gearing torps. Oh, and don't forget the guns are pretty meh, too.

Edited by Lurper

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

Distance means nothing if they cover that distance so fast it doesn't matter.  It's reaction time that matters.  A slow moving torp with 1.7km detection that you can see for 9.5 seconds is much easier to dodge than a fast moving  torp with 1.8km detection that can only be seen for 7 seconds.  This is especially true when you consider perception and reaction time.  It takes a finite amount of time to realize that torps are seen and then to react to where they are and where they are going.  Lets say that is a fixed time of 3 seconds.  That means the fast torp reaches you 4 seconds after you discover it and try to do something.  The slower torp reaches you 6.5 seconds after you discover it and try to do something.  That is a significant advantage over the faster incoming torp.  The faster torps are hard to dodge and you have to be on your toes.  If they are coming from the front it isn't too bad, but if they are coming from the side, they are a real menace.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,191 battles
24 minutes ago, Lurper said:

90 knots with Torpedo Tubes Mod 1 & 2. 95 knots with acceleration. But, it's not worth losing the 3km range imo. Remember, you have no smoke, slower than many CA and not particularly stealthy. So, your engagement range is often outside of 12k. Especially early in the game. 

Hardly. They have a relatively wide spread, CA's and DD's can avoid them pretty easily.The farther the target is, the easier they are to avoid. I have 2% higher hit ratio with Halland than my other DD's. Even so, they do about 7k damage (regardless of what the max damage is). So, it takes a butt ton of hits to sink a full health BB. The damage should be the same as Gearing torps. Oh, and don't forget the guns are pretty meh, too.

I was talking about the detectabuily range. if you shrink it down then people would have no chance to get out of the way. The hitting power of the torps is another discussion. And I would love if they hit a bit harder but they would have to balance that out somehow. 

Members
60 posts
8,615 battles
14 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I was talking about the detectabuily range. if you shrink it down then people would have no chance to get out of the way. The hitting power of the torps is another discussion. And I would love if they hit a bit harder but they would have to balance that out somehow. 

They should reduce the detectability range by .2 k if you ask me. It doesn't matter. They are not hard to dodge. If they were, the hit rate would be way higher. Ships are way too maneuverable in this game. 

33 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Distance means nothing if they cover that distance so fast it doesn't matter.  It's reaction time that matters.  A slow moving torp with 1.7km detection that you can see for 9.5 seconds is much easier to dodge than a fast moving  torp with 1.8km detection that can only be seen for 7 seconds.  This is especially true when you consider perception and reaction time.  It takes a finite amount of time to realize that torps are seen and then to react to where they are and where they are going.  Lets say that is a fixed time of 3 seconds.  That means the fast torp reaches you 4 seconds after you discover it and try to do something.  The slower torp reaches you 6.5 seconds after you discover it and try to do something.  That is a significant advantage over the faster incoming torp.  The faster torps are hard to dodge and you have to be on your toes.  If they are coming from the front it isn't too bad, but if they are coming from the side, they are a real menace.

Distance matters a lot! By the time the torps reach 10 or 12k, there is a lot of space between them. Making it much easier to dodge them. Regardless of reaction time. 

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles
20 minutes ago, Lurper said:

Distance matters a lot! By the time the torps reach 10 or 12k, there is a lot of space between them. Making it much easier to dodge them. Regardless of reaction time. 

Distance from launch point is different than spotting distance which is what is being discussed.  A single high speed torp coming for your ship that is detected at a slightly longer range is harder to dodge than a slow one that is detected closer in.  You have less time to react to it, which makes it harder to dodge.  The fact is that any torp can be dodged.  That is why torp hit rates aren't very high, even with high speed torps.  If they were higher, it would be detrimental to the game.  No ship should have an ordinance that can't be avoided.  High speed torps are hard to avoid if the DD gets closer.  There is a risk/reward when doing that.  A DD that does get into position for a launch from beside a BB and can do it from just outside their detection range, will be hard to dodge, especially for high speed torps with low reaction times.

Edited by Murcc

Sign in to follow this