You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Tier X gameplay is SO boring

44 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles

I'm not sure why some people grind to tier X. The game play at that level is so boring. The only slightly entertaining thing about it is getting to delete the poor tier VIII ships that get put into the game, since no tier VIII ship up tiers well.

The way I see it, the play style depends on the ship that you are playing:

Destroyers: Sail around pointlessly +15km out of the battle and just lob torpedoes at enemy ships on the other side of the map. You won't hit anything, of course, because you're way too far out of the play to be able to aim effectively. If you do manage to hit anything, it's just because of the sheer quantity of torpedoes that you can use. Throw enough s*** at the wall and something is bound to stick.

Cruisers: Become one with an island. Make sure to find a good one because this will be your ship's home for the next 20 minutes (or until you get sent back to port). Spam HE at the distant ships, preferably the battleships because they are defenceless against your rain of fire and can't shoot you thanks to your best friend... the island. If you are in the Smolensk (which infects T10 battles like the plague), you can skip the process of shopping for an island. You get to disappear whenever you want and throw your HE spam at ships with little penalty. If you do happen to get detected, don't worry, you're pretty much a ghost. The shells of your enemies will just pop right through your ship for very little damage.

Battleships: If there was a contest for the most fuel efficient ships, it would be a toss up between Battleships and Cruisers. Battleship captains get the thrilling experience of sailing roughly 2km from the spot that they spawned at and then slamming on the brakes. Then you just heave your massive AP shells to the other side of the map and hope you hit a cruiser that couldn't find an island in time. If you're ship is more than 1 square from the border of the map, you're too close and you will fall victim to the aforementioned fire rain from the cruisers.

Aircraft Carriers: Much like at every other tier, the aircraft carrier gets the honour of ruining the fun for everyone else. Your job is to find and hunt the destroyers and then focus on the cruisers. All the while you get to enjoy a lovely firework display from the comfort and safety of your invincible planes, courtesy of the other team's lame excuse for anti-aircraft defence. You might lose a plane or two, but only if the other team has a AA spec cruiser that's activated the AA defence consumable and reinforced their AA sector. Even if you do manage to lose a squad, no worries, you can just spawn some new ones from your aircraft carrier, which is parked in a top secret location and won't get spotted unless the rest of your team is dead or the enemy aircraft carrier has run out of destroyers and cruisers to harass.

For the record, I'm not bad at T10 game play. I have a Unicum win rate and Unicum average damage in the tier. I just find the hide and fire from a distance strategy that gets used in tier X. I much prefer the excitement of getting into close range battles in my battleship and contesting capture points. To be honest, I can't believe that there are so many people who play tier X, despite the boring battles and the fact that you will lose credits (unless you dish out some money for Premium). It's much more enjoyable to spend your time in lower tiers, like tier 7 (which has all of the best ships in the game).

• Cool 17
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 12

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

Maybe you need to play another game for a while..  You spent far too long there telling us that you are a unicum AT A LEVEL WHERE EVERYONE SUCKS.  

final_5dae20df02b2d1001485b9f5_732264.gif

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts

Well, at least your post was well-formatted. +1 for that. Otherwise, you may have a bit of tunnel vision where tier X play is concerned. While things you mention do occur it doesn't mean that they always occur or even occur in the preponderance of tier X matches.

[HKC]
Members
593 posts
9 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I much prefer the excitement of getting into close range battles in my battleship and contesting capture points.

Then this is not your game (at tier X).

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
803 posts
9,643 battles

There are some true statements but how you play the ship classes has many incorrect statements. If you are exclusively playing ships that way at t10 then your are missing out

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

You misspelled "Tier 8 gameplay", since that is what you are complaining about.  There is nothing recognizable about Tier 10 gameplay in what you posted.  Sounds to me like this is more of a "being bottom tier at tier 8 sucks".

For the record, there are a few ships that uptier from 8 to 10 fine.  Sure, they won't be dropping bodies, but.....Tirpitz/Bismark, Mass, Asashio, Akizuki...these all uptier fine.  You have to adapt your playstyle to the match you are in.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Tier X is my favorite right now.   Only problem is Smolensk hiding behind islands...  Other than that, I like it

[WNNR]
Members
323 posts
6,499 battles

That is just the state of the game WG has made so many gimmick ships that just reinforce staying as far back as possible and be passive. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,977 posts
20,643 battles
2 hours ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I'm not sure why some people grind to tier X. The game play at that level is so boring. The only slightly entertaining thing about it is getting to delete the poor tier VIII ships that get put into the game, since no tier VIII ship up tiers well.

The way I see it, the play style depends on the ship that you are playing:

Destroyers: Sail around pointlessly +15km out of the battle and just lob torpedoes at enemy ships on the other side of the map. You won't hit anything, of course, because you're way too far out of the play to be able to aim effectively. If you do manage to hit anything, it's just because of the sheer quantity of torpedoes that you can use. Throw enough s*** at the wall and something is bound to stick.

Cruisers: Become one with an island. Make sure to find a good one because this will be your ship's home for the next 20 minutes (or until you get sent back to port). Spam HE at the distant ships, preferably the battleships because they are defenceless against your rain of fire and can't shoot you thanks to your best friend... the island. If you are in the Smolensk (which infects T10 battles like the plague), you can skip the process of shopping for an island. You get to disappear whenever you want and throw your HE spam at ships with little penalty. If you do happen to get detected, don't worry, you're pretty much a ghost. The shells of your enemies will just pop right through your ship for very little damage.

Battleships: If there was a contest for the most fuel efficient ships, it would be a toss up between Battleships and Cruisers. Battleship captains get the thrilling experience of sailing roughly 2km from the spot that they spawned at and then slamming on the brakes. Then you just heave your massive AP shells to the other side of the map and hope you hit a cruiser that couldn't find an island in time. If you're ship is more than 1 square from the border of the map, you're too close and you will fall victim to the aforementioned fire rain from the cruisers.

Aircraft Carriers: Much like at every other tier, the aircraft carrier gets the honour of ruining the fun for everyone else. Your job is to find and hunt the destroyers and then focus on the cruisers. All the while you get to enjoy a lovely firework display from the comfort and safety of your invincible planes, courtesy of the other team's lame excuse for anti-aircraft defence. You might lose a plane or two, but only if the other team has a AA spec cruiser that's activated the AA defence consumable and reinforced their AA sector. Even if you do manage to lose a squad, no worries, you can just spawn some new ones from your aircraft carrier, which is parked in a top secret location and won't get spotted unless the rest of your team is dead or the enemy aircraft carrier has run out of destroyers and cruisers to harass.

For the record, I'm not bad at T10 game play. I have a Unicum win rate and Unicum average damage in the tier. I just find the hide and fire from a distance strategy that gets used in tier X. I much prefer the excitement of getting into close range battles in my battleship and contesting capture points. To be honest, I can't believe that there are so many people who play tier X, despite the boring battles and the fact that you will lose credits (unless you dish out some money for Premium). It's much more enjoyable to spend your time in lower tiers, like tier 7 (which has all of the best ships in the game).

So few games and your bored....

OR IS THIS A VEILED ATTEMPT TO HIDE A COMPLAINT OF TIER 8 BEING IN TIER 10 MATCHES?

A well played tier 8 can end up top of team list....

• Cool 1

Members
4,448 posts
19,395 battles

Tier 10 battle in progress;

Fog.thumb.jpg.afbd62b27aeaad6050b0e1121b839f1a.jpg

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[-KIA-]
Members
3,465 posts
14,782 battles

Yet T10 is probably the most balanced tier you can find in this game, where pretty much every ship is at least in the good category

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,562 posts
11,136 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

OR IS THIS A VEILED ATTEMPT TO HIDE A COMPLAINT OF TIER 8 BEING IN TIER 10 MATCHES?

A well played ship at any tier can end up top of the team . Your still at a distinct disadvantage playing any tier 8 ship in a tier 10 game . I’m not complaining mind you I play the Massachusetts a lot so I know all about . But this has to at least be acknowledged especially for average and slightly below average players . You can’t just act like it’s easy to do for the average player . They have a right to complain it happens far to often in my opinion tier 8 ships in tier 10 games . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

Members
9 posts
14,392 battles

Totally agree, but you get to have fun with newbies who have just "rented" a ship.  But the thing that really pisses me off is no one needs to switch to AP cause they do not need skill to aim .... just fling HE at them and if you get a fire well your GOOD.   The skill these days is group up and fire HE nothing more.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

You're totally right, but the children of the forum don't like what you said because it's anti-CV. The game is so boring and stagnant at high tiers that it's really not worth playing. Everything you described happens far too frequently, but the people who want to live in a fantasy world and think the game is fine don't like this dose of reality.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[T-L]
Members
59 posts
2,336 battles

To sum it up, 9/12 ships of the red team hiding behind the islands and smoke or staying at least 10km away from the cap points.

Remember watching King of the Sea X Tournament's live streaming? One team just beached all ships on the islands and easily won the game.

If I can pick the map to play, I would return to random and play the Ocean map for the entire year.

Edited by HMSRodney_1941
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
2 hours ago, Vector03 said:

You're totally right, but the children of the forum don't like what you said because it's anti-CV. The game is so boring and stagnant at high tiers that it's really not worth playing. Everything you described happens far too frequently, but the people who want to live in a fantasy world and think the game is fine don't like this dose of reality.

like the children who are anti-WoWs?  the children who are anti-cv?  anti-sub...

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
Just now, SKurj said:

like the children who are anti-WoWs?  the children who are anti-cv?  anti-sub...

Children need a crutch to play the same game adults do. CVs are that crutch.

• Boring 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
Just now, Vector03 said:

Children need a crutch to play the same game adults do. CVs are that crutch.

and you fit into the one where you are taking your toys and going home... your post history considered...

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
Just now, SKurj said:

and you fit into the one where you are taking your toys and going home... your post history considered...

That's my choice, it's also my choice to stay here and post. Why does this bother people so much?

The OP is correct in his assessment of high tier play. It's become pretty bad, and is really only worth playing competitively in KOTS and....well even clan wars has CVs now so KOTS is about all you got.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
1 minute ago, Vector03 said:

That's my choice, it's also my choice to stay here and post. Why does this bother people so much?

The OP is correct in his assessment of high tier play. It's become pretty bad, and is really only worth playing competitively in KOTS and....well even clan wars has CVs now so KOTS is about all you got.

you are the pot calling the kettle black...

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,182 battles

The thing is, the OP is talking about the lack of concealment. Camping in spawn and island hugging would not be optimal startegies, if folks could sneak up and ambush the wicked and the timid.

Of course, concealment was cancelled by the CV design team, because they hate the game mechanics and wanted to ruin it for everyone.

So here we are.

• Cool 1

[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles
13 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Not complaining about the T8s being in T10 games. The ships themselves don't up tier well, but the players that have a clue how to play the game do very well in them. Actually most of the times, it's the lower tier ships in the T10 games that are the only ones doing anything useful.

[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles
3 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

The thing is, the OP is talking about the lack of concealment. Camping in spawn and island hugging would not be optimal startegies, if folks could sneak up and ambush the wicked and the timid.

Of course, concealment was cancelled by the CV design team, because they hate the game mechanics and wanted to ruin it for everyone.

I don't think it all comes down to concealment. Naturally, the lower concealment at higher tiers means it's hard to get in close without getting focused fire. I think the larger issue is just the lack of will to take any risks in the high tier games.

For example, I was playing the new ranked sprint today (playing as a T9, of course). It was myself in an Iowa, 2 other tier X cruisers and another tier X battleship on the East of the map. We were only up against a T9 cruiser, T10 cruiser and a T9 battleship. We easily out gunned them. I got in nice and close and was doing good damage against them. As soon as our T10 ships started to take the smallest amount of damage, they all kited to the other side of the map (not an exaggeration). They had taken so little damage that (with 1 damage buff active) they were all full health by the time they got back to the spawn point.

A lot of people would probably say that's an isolated incident, but (in my experience anyway), it's not. It happens virtually every T10 game I've been in or both sides of the battle. It's the coward game play that makes it so boring, although I'm sure that the lack of concealment does contribute as well.

• Cool 1