You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Draklor_

New player looking for advice

52 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
237 battles

Seasoned tanker here, but only starting my career in WoWs. Feel free to check my stats, but I feel like I'm getting grasp of game mechanics. Still, there are situations in battles that puzzle me. I'd appreciate any helpful input.

I haven't played carriers yet, and probably I would have known answer to my question if I did, but here I am so please help.

I was playing Nassau in tier 3-4 battle with two carriers per side. I believe I've got two kills and I had a feeling we were going to win, as red team had 4 ships left (including both carriers) while our team had 6 or 7 (also with both carriers still alive).

Then torpedo bombers happened. Carrier players were good enough to hit my battleship turning at full speed with 100% ratio despite my correct selection of AA sector every time. There were 4 attacks in total, 2 squadrons attacked me twice each, and I was down from 80% HP to a piece of sinking metal. Then they did the same to our remaining battleships and cruisers, while our carriers took care of red battleships. It came down to 2 vs. 2 carriers fight, and they went down to 1 vs. 1 when the time ran out and we lost by points.

Question is: is there anything a battleship player can do to mitigate incoming damage from torpedo bombers, assuming the carrier player knows what they are doing?

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
3 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

Seasoned tanker here, but only starting my career in WoWs. Feel free to check my stats, but I feel like I'm getting grasp of game mechanics. Still, there are situations in battles that puzzle me. I'd appreciate any helpful input.

I haven't played carriers yet, and probably I would have known answer to my question if I did, but here I am so please help.

I was playing Nassau in tier 3-4 battle with two carriers per side. I believe I've got two kills and I had a feeling we were going to win, as red team had 4 ships left (including both carriers) while our team had 6 or 7 (also with both carriers still alive).

Then torpedo bombers happened. Carrier players were good enough to hit my battleship turning at full speed with 100% ratio despite my correct selection of AA sector every time. There were 4 attacks in total, 2 squadrons attacked me twice each, and I was down from 80% HP to a piece of sinking metal. Then they did the same to our remaining battleships and cruisers, while our carriers took care of red battleships. It came down to 2 vs. 2 carriers fight, and they went down to 1 vs. 1 when the time ran out and we lost by points.

Question is: is there anything a battleship player can do to mitigate incoming damage from torpedo bombers, assuming the carrier player knows what they are doing?

Hello Welcome,

If anything, WOWS has a lot of dynamics in a battle, it can be endless and little daunting of an endeavor..

In all honesty, I dont know how to guide your learning process. You have Co-op and training rooms... Everything from map awareness, to tactics will develop over time..

Just remember what your ship class role is and play it at your best... Overall just have fun doing it...

Good luck

[PVE]
Members
1,027 posts
8,520 battles

At low tiers, basically no, you are food. At middle and high tier, it gets better but AA is still a bit of a joke most of the time. Setting your sector and turning into torpedo planes is the right thing to do. As is turning broadside to bombers and rocket planes to minimize how much of their target ellipsis you're in.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
15 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

First off, welcome to WoWs!   We are glad to have you migrate from the filth we call WoT... unless you like WoT...

One thing you can do is activate priority sector.   When the carrier planes are in your AA range and your AA starts firing, press the O key in the direction the planes are.  This will increase the damage done to planes on one side, but weakens the damage potential on the other side of your ship.  Whichever direction your camera is facing is the direction priority sector will activate when pressing "O".    In the game, ships have something called Torpedo Protection.   Basically all ships have it. Some are stronger than others.  When the torpedo hits the middle section of the ship, it gets absorbed by the torpedo protection and a % is subtracted from the maximum damage.   Unfortunately, CVs are very strong and there not much anything you can do.   Since you are from WoT, think about carriers as the arty in the game

Edited by kishan99

Members
38 posts
237 battles
6 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

At low tiers, basically no, you are food. At middle and high tier, it gets better but AA is still a bit of a joke most of the time. Setting your sector and turning into torpedo planes is the right thing to do. As is turning broadside to bombers and rocket planes to minimize how much of their target ellipsis you're in.

I see. That's pretty much conclusion I came to, but wanted to confirm it in case I missed something. That's probably why I like playing cruisers the most so far: they are easier to maneuver and avoid torpedoes, and they don't die as fast as destroyers do... Although I've heard HE-spamming cruisers are hated almost as much in WoWs, so I might just as well start playing carriers instead. :)

[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

AA at tier 3 & 4 is terrible.  Usually CV's are weak at tier 4, but the double CV plus other damage taken can add up... plus as you take HE shells during the battle, they knock out your short range AA mounts, reducing your strongest AA at low tier.  Do 1 of 2 things... either begin maneuvering prior to him even beginning his torp run on you... or if it's too late, do nothing.  The torps from a CV do the least damage of all torps.  Finally, race up to tier 6, much better with AA.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles

You are doing well so far but the first suggestion to something you didn't ask about, don't rush up the tiers too quickly.

On your question generally you want to turn into the attack but you you are already turning the other was stay with it and with a BB you really want to start that turn before they commit to the attack.

Members
38 posts
237 battles
7 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

First off, welcome to WoWs!   We are glad to have you migrate from the filth we call WoT... unless you like WoT...

One thing you can do is activate priority sector.   When the carrier planes are in your AA range and your AA starts firing, press the O key in the direction the planes are.  This will increase the damage done to planes on one side, but weakens the damage potential on the other side of your ship.  Whichever direction your camera is facing is the direction priority sector will activate when pressing "O".    In the game, ships have something called Torpedo Protection.   Basically all ships have it. Some are stronger than others.  When the torpedo its the middle section of the ship, it gets absorbed by the torpedo protection and a % is subtracted from the maximum damage.   Unfortunately, CVs are very strong and there not much anything you can do.   Since you are from WoT, think about carriers as the arty in the game

Thanks. No, I like WoT and still play it.

I'm aware of priority sectors and how they work, thank you.

In regards to torpedo protection... How should I best use it? If the impact is imminent, but I can still maneuver and choose which part of the ship torpedo hits, what should I do?

[XXX]
Members
580 posts
1,526 battles
29 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

t4 CV's are more then a little too strong I'm afraid.  I don't get why WG insists on multiple at low tier but they do. Later on, the AA on battleships becomes much stronger. Your best option is to travel in packs, I'm afraid.  t4 cv's in my opinion, need to be limited to 1 per team.

• Cool 2

Members
38 posts
237 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are doing well so far but the first suggestion to something you didn't ask about, don't rush up the tiers too quickly.

On your question generally you want to turn into the attack but you you are already turning the other was stay with it and with a BB you really want to start that turn before they commit to the attack.

1. Yes, I've seen how new players who rush up tiers do in WoT. It never ends well. My current plan is to stop at tier 5-6 and probably try as many nations and classes as possible, to figure out their strengths and weaknesses, so I would know what to do when I face them. At least that's what worked for me in WoT.

2. Yeah, I was turning away from torpedo attack, but he managed to drop single torpedo so close and precise that it hit my ship anyway... By the time they turn around and start second attack there is nothing I could do at all, as planes turn much faster than battleship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
11 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

In regards to torpedo protection... How should I best use it? If the impact is imminent, but I can still maneuver and choose which part of the ship torpedo hits, what should I do?

Torpedo protection mitigates a hit to the side, not bow or aft.  So if you know you are going to take a torp try taking on the side BUT never manoeuvrer in such a way top open your broadside to the enemy team.  Taking CV torps is usually less damage than getting sunk by enemy gun fire.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

[XXX]
Members
580 posts
1,526 battles
1 minute ago, _Draklor_ said:

1. Yes, I've seen how new players who rush up tiers do in WoT. It never ends well. My current plan is to stop at tier 5-6 and probably try as many nations and classes as possible, to figure out their strengths and weaknesses, so I would know what to do when I face them. At least that's what worked for me in WoT.

2. Yeah, I was turning away from torpedo attack, but he managed to drop single torpedo so close and precise that it hit my ship anyway... By the time they turn around and start second attack there is nothing I could do at all, as planes turn much faster than battleship.

The thing with torpedoes is that the nose is probably the worst place for bombers to attack. If you are reasonably sure they are coming for you, turning into them, or away, would work. Away is probably the easiest as it gives you a lot more time to work with in regards to torpedoes.  Just be careful. Torpedoes dont hurt much but they panic people. Ive killed many by proxy because they turn away from me, and get hit broadside by my allies as a result.

• Cool 1

Members
38 posts
237 battles
1 minute ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Torpedo protection mitigates a hit to the side, not bow or aft.  So if you know you are going to take a torp try taking on the side BUT never manoeuvrer in such a way top open your broadside to the enemy team.  Taking CV torps is usually less damage than getting sunk but gun fire.

Good advice. Appreciate it. Does it matter what part of broadside torpedo hits? As close to the center as possible would be my guess.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
13 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

How should I best use it? If the impact is imminent, but I can still maneuver and choose which part of the ship torpedo hits, what should I do?

If  the torps are coming, the best thing you can do is turn you ship towards the torpedo.   Doing this makes it easy to dodge at least one of them basically minimizing your damage.  If you are for sure going to take the torps and you can't dodge, make them hit dead center of your ship so your torpedo protection can absorb the blow.   Turning your bow towards the torpedos is probably the best option but be aware of enemy ships.  If you turn your bow towards the torpedos to dodge, you may actually give broadside to other ships which is very very bad.  Sometimes the best case scenario is just taking the damage from the torps so you don't give broadside to other ships because taking citadel damage is way way way worse than taking CV torps

Edited by kishan99
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles

Not really but a torpedo does have a chance of detonating your ship if you take a critical hit to a turret.  So it's generally better to take a hit not directly under a turret if possible but its still quite a low chance nonetheless.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,883 posts
11,568 battles

stay in Coop till T5 or 6, thats about the tier where AA starts to mean something, and bot CVs cant aim for jack, then if you want to, head out to Randoms so you can actually have a chance of at least shooting down a plane or 2

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
5 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

If  the torps are coming, the best thing you can do is turn you ship towards the torpedo.   Doing this makes it easy to dodge at least one of them basically minimizing your damage.  If you are for sure going to take the torps and you can't dodge, make them hit dead center of your ship so your torpedo protection can absorb the blow.   Turning your bow towards the torpedos is probably the best option but be aware of enemy ships.  If you turn your bow towards the torpedos to dodge, you may actually give broadside to other ships which is very very bad.  Sometimes the best case scenario is just taking the damage from the torps so you don't give broadside to other ships because taking citadel damage is way way way worse than taking CV torps 

Good advice.  Avoidance is best and is typically most effective turning into the torpedo threat, as opposed to turning out away from the threat which generally is much less effective.  If you are going to take a hit take it centre of mass but prioritize not taking shell damage over torps as Kishan99 mentioned above.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
1 minute ago, tcbaker777 said:

stay in Coop till T5, thats about the tier where AA starts to mean something, and bot CVs cant aim for jack, then if you want to, head out to Randoms so you can actually have a chance of at least shooting down a plane or 2 

Or get into Randoms as soon as you can and fight human players, it will be more difficult but way more fun and a better learning experience too.

[ARB]
Members
172 posts
2,100 battles
50 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

Bruh Turn towards torpedo planes and turn away from dive bombers and fighter bombers. Also AA isn't horrid at tier IV but isn't great. It hurts quite a few planes if you group. By Tier 6 your aa can shrug off anything short of tier 8 planes. By tier 10 carriers become 100% obsolete. I've even run into unicums that have boldly said this. If you master torpedo beats and dive bomb dodge and have your aa set up it becomes more frustrating to play CV. Infact CV is the considered unabated god at tier 4. But become nothing more then a annoyance if you let them attack at higher tiers and they also are simply annoying because they spot you often and you become absolutely lit up by ships in higher tiers. I barely ever if at all see CV's ever get over 3 kills in tier 6 plus the people getting large sums of kills back to back in CV's at higher tiers are 55% and up win rate guys with thousands of battles under their belts in carriers. Do not lose faith in the game and hold out.

Edited by LeavingForever

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

unfortunately T3-4 with most ships having terrible or non-existent AA it's a field day for the carrier's ...   it does get a bit better at T5 lol

Members
38 posts
237 battles
2 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Or get into Randoms as soon as you can and fight human players, it will be more difficult but way more fun and a better learning experience too.

Yep, I played coop when MM couldn't find a game for me at tier 2 I believe, and it was boring even if I sunk 4-6 of them per game... Plus the payout in coop seems to be much lower in both silver and experience.

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles
8 minutes ago, _Draklor_ said:

Does it matter what part of broadside torpedo hits?

You can view the torpedo protection using the armor layout.

966638968_Screenshot(42)_LI.thumb.jpg.b5ca6881e3214c291d9d4c28864c7d7d.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
38 posts
237 battles
4 minutes ago, LeavingForever said:

Do not lose faith in the game and hold out.

I'm living with arty in WoT almost every battle and keep playing it for almost 10 years now. I'm not that easy to get rid of! :Smile_trollface:

[VCHAT]
Members
31 posts
4,141 battles

Hey man for sure at the lower tiers carriers have a bigger advantage. Throttle dodge, turn into the attack, yada yada, but at tier 8 AA is much better across the board and some ships have practically impenetrable AA (Massachusetts comes to mind). 

And Dude, I've tried tanks......can't hit a damn thing! Crusin along trying to spot and BLAMMO dead; 1 shotted by an invisible enemy. What fun is that?? At least in ships you know when you are dark and when you are not.

Edited by EXIT_TO_PORT
Additional brilliant point.

Members
38 posts
237 battles
11 minutes ago, EXIT_TO_PORT said:

Hey man for sure at the lower tiers carriers have a bigger advantage. Throttle dodge, turn into the attack, yada yada, but at tier 8 AA is much better across the board and some ships have practically impenetrable AA (Massachusetts comes to mind). 

And Dude, I've tried tanks......can't hit a damn thing! Crusin along trying to spot and BLAMMO dead; 1 shotted by an invisible enemy. What fun is that??

I've been watching a stream where a guy shoot down 46 planes playing North Carolina. That was hilarious... He is a very good WoT player I'm watching on regular basis who decided to try WoWs, so he is also just learning, but he is the main reason I'm here now. :)

Tanks is a great game, but some of its mechanics (spotting/visibility comes to mind first, since you mentioned it) are quite complicated. When I started in 2010 nobody knew it yet, so it was easier back then. If you start now, you'll be facing people with years of experience, and that's quite a gap in PvP game. So I don't blame you, it sure can be very frustrating.

In tanks you know when you are "lit" or not, unless you are a new player... It's a tank commander perk that takes time or money to train. There is no way a new player would have it before they reach tier 5 at least...

Edited by _Draklor_
  • Cool 1