You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lordholland4293

submarine deck guns

22 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles

A single 3 - 5" gun is going to be pretty useless but if they operated like secondary guns but with a range more in line with manual guns they would at least make you feel better.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,306 posts
4,773 battles

No. 

Oh it might be fun - for 60 seconds.  Then you die. 

[CAP]
Members
443 posts
17,980 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No. 

Oh it might be fun - for 60 seconds.  Then you die. 

True but when that DD has 200 hp.... why waste a torpedo? :) 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,306 posts
4,773 battles

<g>

Because he has friends.

Still, I wouldn't be adverse to trying it.  Sub must stay surfaced for at least 30 sec...

Edited by iDuckman

[XXX]
Members
595 posts
1,604 battles

Those guns were for unarmed merchant ships.  It was considered a "nice to have" weapon at the best of times. Give up this dream of using the deck gun. It would be a slow reload at best of times.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
21,445 battles
1 hour ago, lordholland4293 said:

Does anyone feel the subs should be able to use there deck gun like historically. 

Yes … 

It's absolutely necessary to get rid of those pesky life rafts and floating sailors 

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,239 posts

nope, doesn't seem to fit what weegee thinks sub gameplay should be and i agree

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts
2 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

Does anyone feel the subs should be able to use there deck gun like historically. 

They can recharge battery underwater why have a gun.

They should be modled though.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,269 posts
12,187 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

A single 3 - 5" gun is going to be pretty useless but if they operated like secondary guns but with a range more in line with manual guns they would at least make you feel better.

Some had 2. And that was more or less how they operated during Halloween which I liked, though they needed some tweaks. 

Give them the 3-4 second reload, increased HE pen, are they going to do a lot - no, but they'll do something, especially if your forced to the surface to avoid depth charges of doom as they are right now. At the very least it gives a sub v sub option beyond 'who gets a better shot or target lock first after 10 minutes of a circle jerk'.

Much as I like historical accuracy - deck gun and AA effectiveness of subs are things that I think fall under 'balance>gameplay'. Should a surfaced sub be able to destroy a DD with the guns alone from full health - no. But they should be able to do at least a bit of damage, maybe start fires if needing to recharge and no torpedo shot before diving again. 

Plus there are some subs with 6-8 inch guns, likely good for premiums. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
3 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Some had 2. And that was more or less how they operated during Halloween which I liked, though they needed some tweaks. 

Give them the 3-4 second reload, increased HE pen, are they going to do a lot - no, but they'll do something, especially if your forced to the surface to avoid depth charges of doom as they are right now. At the very least it gives a sub v sub option beyond 'who gets a better shot or target lock first after 10 minutes of a circle jerk'.

Much as I like historical accuracy - deck gun and AA effectiveness of subs are things that I think fall under 'balance>gameplay'. Should a surfaced sub be able to destroy a DD with the guns alone from full health - no. But they should be able to do at least a bit of damage, maybe start fires if needing to recharge and no torpedo shot before diving again. 

Plus there are some subs with 6-8 inch guns, likely good for premiums. :Smile_hiding:

Yeah but the number of guns is not really a factor as even the umikaze out guns all but the rare submarine cruisers like the Surcouf. Which was the perfect solution to the surface and order the crew off rules of early WWI even though everyone knew those rules wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks if a new war started.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I wouldn't mind but it would have to be extremely low damage and can't start fires

Edited by kishan99

[DRAH]
Members
431 posts
10,744 battles

Please make deck guns usable to increase the range at which we can spot the sub.

Even a stock Mutsuki with 2 x single 120mm  should be able to win a gun fight with any sub not called Sourcouf! It's a sneaky way to encourage IJM dd drivers to use those guns!

Edited by Ellyh

Beta Testers
204 posts
5,081 battles

I think the only subs that have any business with usable deck guns are ones that were designed deliberately to use them. In other words, Cruiser Submarines.

In Halloween we had something derived from the HMS X1, which was armed with four guns in twin turrets. They were designed to fight Frigates and destroyers. Halloween treated these as secondaries, and I can't say they were dramatically successful. The only things I think they did well were firing when the deck was awash, plinking at those shore catapults, and revealing your position.

The Surcouf and M-class Submarines are notable for their massive guns. but the M class took about three minutes to reload when on the surface and could only be fired at periscope depth.

Based on my experiences in Subs so far, if you did have a surface gun that was actually good enough to cause damage and hit things, the only time you could use it is when you were sure the target's guns were pointed in the other direction. You could get one snipe off, before every cruiser lights you up with shells. Submarines on the surface within firing range don't... don't last long. These guns' long reload times, combined with their historic slow dive times and WG's disinclination to make subs overpowered... I doubt we'll see Cruiser subs as anything but exotic premiums.

And no on Deck guns. Your Torps are far more of a threat than that little peashooter. Maybe, I guess, if seaplane tenders and support ships appear in the game. Then deck guns can threaten those.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,997 battles
4 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

No

No GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

[REVY]
Members
2,837 posts
15,075 battles
8 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

premium sub time

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,269 posts
12,187 battles
16 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but the number of guns is not really a factor as even the umikaze out guns all but the rare submarine cruisers like the Surcouf. Which was the perfect solution to the surface and order the crew off rules of early WWI even though everyone knew those rules wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks if a new war started.

I know, had other things on my mind so didn't convey the more joking nature of an extra gun. Pretty sure part 2 feedback is where I mention the fact that DD's have 50-100% more torpedoes and 3-6x the firepower of surface guns so a faster reload that is done per torp like Halloween isn't going to break them, let alone letting the deck guns do something, even if i's maybe start fires. 

Though I'm also against the ping system and feel subs should be on the surface a bit more after playing them. Least at that tier. Nuking a Bud on the surface and destroying a red sub at 30 m depth without tracking was way more satisfying than ping, ping, 'oh wow I nuked a BB for 2/3 HP again'.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles

Those deck guns are small and you only have what?  1 of them?  They won't do anything against warships that people play.  Those deck guns were only there to sink harmless cargo ships, expending cheap shells and saving the submarine's much rarer torpedoes.

The German Type VIIC U-Boat had an 88mm deck gun.

The USN Gato-class had a 76mm deck gun.

These aren't going to do anything to a warship like a DD, DDE, much less Cruiser or lulz, a Battleship!

17 hours ago, Mailman653 said:

Forget the deck gun, I want a U-flak! :cap_rambo:

Those never amounted to anything and still failed in that capacity.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RM-I]
Members
446 posts

19 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Those never amounted to anything and still failed in that capacity.

So did those rocket launchers on the Hood but that didn't stop WG from making them super AA

[CLRN]
Members
609 posts
122 battles
21 hours ago, Jitta77 said:

True but when that DD has 200 hp.... why waste a torpedo? :) 

Why not? Torp reaload is stupidly fast anyway.