You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

9 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
4,234 battles

How about a semi Frankenstein British battleship that has a kind of hull, main armament, speed, about the same armor as the hood, gun lay out as gneisenau, and secondary's and structure as warspite. I am talking about the HMS Renown. Renown was laid in 1916 , she and repulse set a record on being the fastest capital ships upon completion. she didn't see action in ww1, but was overhauled twice in between. during ww2, she was part of the group to hunt the graf spee that was sinking merchants at the time. unfortunately, she couldn't be able to find the ship. She was part of the British squadron that was sent to the Norwegian campaign and came across the Scharnhorst ang gneisenau, she received minor damage but also critically damaged gneisenau in return. She was later part of the search group to find the Bismarck, although the ship did find Bismarck's supply ship. after this she was sent home for repairs and upgrades. after this, she was sent to protect the winter convoys to Russia, then transferred to protect the carriers for Operation Torch. after this, she was sent home to have her aircraft removed and her AA upgraded and added. After this, she helped send Winston Churchill back home. She was sent to the pacific to help in Operation Cockpit and bombarded enemy positions at the Nicobar islands and Andaman islands. She continued with other operations until she was relieved by Queen Elizabeth. She was sent home for another refit but was cancelled. She hosted a meeting with King George Vi and President Truman, and after this she was scrapped and survived a few days longer than the carrier Furious.

The Renown that I would like to see in the game is the 1939 refit. The reason for this is because I believe that hood and warspite had a baby and had a extra cromosone from gneisenau. I think she can do well in the game as she will have pretty much the same things as a a regular tier VI regular British battleship but in a tier VII slot right next to hood. naturally, hood would at least be 2 or so knots faster than renown, but dreams can be dreams I guess.

HMS_Renown_(1939)_profile_drawing.png

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,666 posts
27,224 battles

Renown was actually faster than Hood according to those who served in her. At T6 ahe would be a good fit with Warspite dispersion next to Prinz Eitel Freiderich...

• Cool 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,273 posts
18,802 battles

Hood isn't a really good T7 BB, so Renown would be a worse Hood at T7. However, at T6, with Warspites' guns (normal HE, AP that works, Warspite dispersion, Warspite heal) she'll be a solid T6 battlecruiser.

would probably have to play with the reload though (maybe 27sec) to compensate for 6 guns, and they can give it something akin to Warspite's godtier turning ability, and you get a brilliant T6 ship, and to add a nice cherry on top, make it a reward/armory ship so everyone can have one.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,666 posts
14,778 battles

Renown is a glaring omission from this game.

Her absence begs the question 'are WG just stupid, or are they eventually planning a British battlecruiser line with Renown in it, once they're done with priorities like German carriers and more Stalingrad preliminary designs?'. 

I think Renown would make a completely workable T6.

• Cool 3

[SPTR]
Members
27,148 posts
16,417 battles

This ship or Repulse needs to come in the game more and more people are waiting for them, torn between if I want them at t5 or t6.

Members
1,059 posts
4,376 battles
15 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Hood isn't a really good T7 BB, so Renown would be a worse Hood at T7. However, at T6, with Warspites' guns (normal HE, AP that works, Warspite dispersion, Warspite heal) she'll be a solid T6 battlecruiser.

would probably have to play with the reload though (maybe 27sec) to compensate for 6 guns, and they can give it something akin to Warspite's godtier turning ability, and you get a brilliant T6 ship, and to add a nice cherry on top, make it a reward/armory ship so everyone can have one.

15 hours ago, mofton said:

Renown is a glaring omission from this game.

Her absence begs the question 'are WG just stupid, or are they eventually planning a British battlecruiser line with Renown in it, once they're done with priorities like German carriers and more Stalingrad preliminary designs?'. 

I think Renown would make a completely workable T6.

3 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

This ship or Repulse needs to come in the game more and more people are waiting for them, torn between if I want them at t5 or t6.

I can try and work Renown at Tier 7. I'm working on a project for HMS Incomparable, but I'll work that the moment I publish the Incomparable proposal and the Duke of York review.

I feel like Repulse would more deserving because of the fact that she actually served with greater distinction than her sister ship, taking part in battles such as the Battle of Heligoland Bight, and serving as part of Force Z during WWII. Renown never actually did that much to earn herself that place.

HOWEVER. Renown was far more modernized than her sister ship, with better AA defenses and more modern armor. Thus, she would be more workable in the game, where she wont constantly have to suffer the fate of her sister ship

Just my two cents, and thanks for the idea.

:SerB:

Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,426 posts
1,963 battles

Hood has better armour than Renown does, at least vertically.    

Should be able to work at tier VI, and long overdue at this point. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,666 posts
14,778 battles
7 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I can try and work Renown at Tier 7. I'm working on a project for HMS Incomparable, but I'll work that the moment I publish the Incomparable proposal and the Duke of York review.

I feel like Repulse would more deserving because of the fact that she actually served with greater distinction than her sister ship, taking part in battles such as the Battle of Heligoland Bight, and serving as part of Force Z during WWII. Renown never actually did that much to earn herself that place.

My general feeling is that +/- a tier is pretty possible for most ships, there are enough soft-stat levers to make it work. On the other hand I generally feel that ships can be more or less comfortable in their tiers. Some only work through pretty big gimmicks, or end up pretty compromised or overpowered in some way (AA is typical). Renown just doesn't intrinsically compare well to Hood at T7 and at T6 is already trade-offs with Queen Elizabeth. Give it 4 RPM and destroyer accuracy and the sky's the limit, but it's not how I'd go.

The RN also really doesn't need another T7 premium battleship along with Nelson, DoY and Hood, but T6 only has Warspite.

I think Renown's much better distinguished than Repulse, though it's subjective.

Repulse's engagement at Second Heligoland Bight was a fairly small naval clash between battlecruisers and light forces, and Repulse landed only a single hit on a light cruiser. She did sink with Force Z, which I'd call noteworthy rather than distinguished. Aside from that her Second World War service is fairly unremarkable, and I'm not sure if she ever fired her main battery in anger. She earned 3 WWII battle honors.

Renown on the other hand fought a brief engagement with Scharnhorst and Gneisenau off Lofoten, generally having the better of it and seeing those ships disengage, there's not a huge number of battleships to engage other battleships in WWII, let alone hit them and she hit Gneisenau 3 times. Renown was there at the battle of Cape Spartivento and straddled an Italian cruiser in a fairly inconclusive fight, she also took part in the bold (silly bold) bombardment of Genoa in Operation Grog, and served extensively with the generally successful Force H out of Gibraltar, being attacked repeatedly by aircraft without result. Renown would serve on the Arctic Convoys and out in the Pacific and had a varied and useful career, during which she was about the most available in terms of months of service RN battleship along with Rodney. She earned 9 WWII battle honors.

• Cool 1