Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Quarterly Review, First Quarter 2020

15 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,671 posts
12,382 battles

A non-zero number of folks seemed interested when I sent @NoZoupForYou my server population tables a while ago, so I figured I'd take a go at my own commentary on them this time. I hope to make this a regular feature of the channel.

• Cool 10

Beta Testers
3,107 posts
25,904 battles

Thanks for the Info,  I'm one of them that really slowed down playing this game and now enjoying playing a game called Kards competing against other players. A cute WW2 card game that's holding my interest...……………..  

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles

I disagree with your assessment/narrative  concerning the cruiser topic start at 9:20 - 10:30 min mark Raptor...

You may like it and its your opinion... The downside of you in favor/advocating this as a positive change are..

• Power creep seeps into mid tiers (which is already evident at high tiers).
  • It will exacerbate the snowball affect (as seen in high tiers)...
  • Because CL are now gun fodder for +2MM ships with high calibers, MM now  becomes the scapegoat.
  • With the IFHE policy changes, you're making high caliber ships immune to 152MM and below gun DMG...

Now remember, this goes both ways... It benefits both red and green fleets... At the same time people will come to the forums complaining about this issue using MM as a scapegoat,...

Before the Rework, CL hits ratio in a game (granted depends on a player's aim and ship selection) was %50... Meaning of all the "target hits" a CL would accomplish (say 1400), 700 would be PENS and the other 700 would be Ricos or non-pens...

After the rework, Torps are the only way to delete  high caliber ships in a CL. You even try to sink a high armor ship in a CL,

1. It will take over 12 min of salvos to sink a BB in a CL...
    • In turn a high caliber ship only need 6 hits to sink a CL..
  2. That %50 hits/non pens or Ricos, that is over %80 now...

To say this is fair game play because high armored ships are no longer "bullied."  I disagree with that narrative.

Having a ship class "struggle" even at +1MM and have no chance with +2MM ships, some how say its ok or "fun" as long as it doesn't impede on big Armor fun... Again I disagree with your opinion AND sugar coating narrative.

I also disagree on your assessment on your belief on the population of players at the 16min mark...

Also, RU navy is more for defense of the motherland, other then for projecting an offensive threat (like the UK and US Navies)...

The RU Navies in modern times are given the UK navy the chills... RU Navy is more focused on Sub warfare and detecting other subs.

Over all good video Raptor...  We may have disagreements on certain topics, as to why and our vision of the game moving forward.. At least we share the same passion for the game...

H/F Raptor.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,574 posts
15,635 battles

I agree with your comments on the Gearing. I know it's long in the tooth. It has been power crept severely. I lobbied for a little love with tightening of it's steering, to no avail. I didn't lose sleep because I know when they are busy working on events and brand new ship lines and classes. Older ships can get lost in the shuffle.

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles

I'll quibble with Henri IV getting a "minor balance tweak."  Even the several tweaks to Kremlin doesn't amount to the same scale of what they did to Henri.  Couple that with the IFHE changes and Henri is in a much different place than it was.

I especially agree with your assessment of veteran player retention.  It would be nice if there were data around the mean account age versus the number of battles played over a period.  And that might not be the thing to be looking at but I think some metrics around that topic would show us if there's something to that assessment.

As for the Asia server, it's not possible to see if the spike is driving revenue.  If t is, then that points to that being real.  I suspect it's not.

Members
894 posts
3,947 battles

@SeaRaptor00So what does it look like if you add them all together?  What does the overall population trend look like?  Do the increases in the other servers make up for the drop in the RU servers?  Don't want to do the math - the answer is no they don't, even including the recent odd increase in the ASIA server.

Two points - I think the inclusion of the last (and possibly next) quarter, is heavily impacted by the current health crisis.  We won't know for some time yet so I'd question that quarter for now.  Next, if you look at how the oscillations in the daily averages across the servers mirror each other I think the argument could be made that the introduction of the new Russian lines did have an effect on the RU server.   The rise in 1Q19 on the RU server is more dramatic than is observed on the other servers (if you are correct about the timing, I didn't check either).  That level of response, at the time, could certainly have encouraged WG to continue to push development of the Russian tech tree.

Does anything I just said mean anything?  No, it doesn't.  It's hardly rosy, but it isn't doom and gloom either.  There is too much we don't know, and maybe the most important unknown (to us) factor is how population affects WG bottom line.  If the "paying" population is increasing to the detriment of the "non-paying" population then WG will keep on developing and stay the course.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,438 posts
6,495 battles

Pretty impressive for a 5 year old game really?   It would be interesting to see some retention statistics.  Another interesting question and i'd bet WG Knows this... How many players are actively switching between here and tanks?   I know when I get bored I drop in over there and check things out.. If I like what I see then i stay a while... rarely do I do both.   I also would guess that their increased attention to streaming platforms(twitch) and the CC program have helped drive the new player growth that is replacing the much bantered departing veterans?  I guess the pressing question will be if their current direction can start retaining these players..    

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,388 posts
15,783 battles
9 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Pretty impressive for a 5 year old game really?   It would be interesting to see some retention statistics.  Another interesting question and i'd bet WG Knows this... How many players are actively switching between here and tanks?   I know when I get bored I drop in over there and check things out.. If I like what I see then i stay a while... rarely do I do both.   I also would guess that their increased attention to streaming platforms(twitch) and the CC program have helped drive the new player growth that is replacing the much bantered departing veterans?  I guess the pressing question will be if their current direction can start retaining these players..    

I have just recently been jumping back and forth. The 10 year anniversary stuff sort of pulled my attention. First time in a long time that I spent money on both games in the same month.

Members
3,378 posts
6,787 battles

I have punched in the stat numbers into Excel and this is what I get. The chart to your left are the player numbers segregated to their regional servers and the one to the right are the total players averaged out from all the servers.   As a five year old game...as iRAGE pointed it out...I'm impressed that it has lost some but on a whole did very well in the present situation. 

WOW-avg-2020.jpg

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

I have punched in the stat numbers into Excel and this is what I get. The chart to your left are the player numbers segregated to their regional servers and the one to the right are the total players averaged out from all the servers.   As a five year old game...as iRAGE pointed it out...I'm impressed that it has lost some but on a whole did very well in the present situation. 

WOW-avg-2020.jpg

Quick question... What do the Y axis represent ?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

guessing quarters...

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

grabs a wooden spoon...

Looks like all regions are up, cv's must have been embraced by the masses...

Members
3,378 posts
6,787 battles
56 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Reviewing the video again the author says that 19 quarters are represented here beginning with on the far left 3rd quarter of 2015. all the way to the first quarter of 2020. 

Edited by dionkraft
mistakes edited

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,671 posts
12,382 battles
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

I'll quibble with Henri IV getting a "minor balance tweak."  Even the several tweaks to Kremlin doesn't amount to the same scale of what they did to Henri.  Couple that with the IFHE changes and Henri is in a much different place than it was.

That's fair.  The Henri nerf was fairly significant, despite them not messing with her firepower at all.  

2 hours ago, Tachnechdorus said:

Thanks for the Info,  I'm one of them that really slowed down playing this game and now enjoying playing a game called Kards competing against other players. A cute WW2 card game that's holding my interest...……………..  

I'd be curious to know your opinion of Kards, I read a PC Gamer article about it and was intrigued.  

1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Over all good video Raptor...  We may have disagreements on certain topics, as to why and our vision of the game moving forward.. At least we share the same passion for the game...

No worries, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  Conversation and discussion is good. =)

Your points about being a bottom-tier light cruiser are valid; however, IFHE-equipped light cruisers had reached a point where they basically trumped heavy cruisers at nearly every tier.  (Yes, there were exceptions, I'm talking generalities.)  There was little-to-no incentive to reach for a heavy cruiser when a light one was available.  The armor and IFHE changes provide unique identities for each of the cruiser types, and I'm for it.  If it means that a Helena can't whoop up on an Iowa anymore, welp... so be it.  A Helena in that situation needs to find other targets he CAN beat up on, like destroyers or other cruisers.  It's not that he can't damage the Iowa at all - he can farm superstructure damage and continue to light fires - but he probably won't be able to farm out the battleship completely by himself.  

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles
37 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Your points about being a bottom-tier light cruiser are valid; however, IFHE-equipped light cruisers had reached a point where they basically trumped heavy cruisers at nearly every tier.  (Yes, there were exceptions, I'm talking generalities.)  There was little-to-no incentive to reach for a heavy cruiser when a light one was available.  The armor and IFHE changes provide unique identities for each of the cruiser types, and I'm for it.  If it means that a Helena can't whoop up on an Iowa anymore, welp... so be it.  A Helena in that situation needs to find other targets he CAN beat up on, like destroyers or other cruisers.  It's not that he can't damage the Iowa at all - he can farm superstructure damage and continue to light fires - but he probably won't be able to farm out the battleship completely by himself.  

I would not pick a certain CL per say... I would point out the 152MM-157MM guns are as of right now, are useless against +2MM.

I think its more disproportional now, then when it was before the IFHE changes..... My suspicions are WG moving away from +2MM restriction...

If the offensive capabilities stay the same for the above mentioned gun calibers against high caliber gun ships...Then, change/improvement of the defensive capabilities of close range dependent CLs, so that they can be competitive. Not instant deletion in a +2MM situation we currently have.

Favoring one class over the others will bring untainted consequences.

This disproportional situation, is not fun... If its not fun, or the abilities are a "struggle" or "challenge" WOWS over time (not Immediate) will become WOWP...

Edited by Navalpride33

Sign in to follow this