Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kataclysms

Tips for New IJN CV Player

8 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
696 battles

Hello IJN Friends,

I mostly play IJN lines and after grinding out shimakaze, I decided to go to CVs. Tier 4 was kinda painful until I realized the ridiculousness of Hoshos torpedos. I got decent with rockets and I cannot for the life of me make AP bombs work. I am on Ryujo right now and 8k away from Shokaku.  My games usually go like this now:

Spot most of enemy team at the beginning, find a lone DD and proceed to permaspot him for team. Even if I don't get hits on the DD, he usually dies to teammates or retreats with like half his hp. If I do attack him half the rockets miss even when hes fully in reticle and lead properly. I end up spending like 2-5 minutes doing this and I feel like I may be wasting too much time/damage on permaspotting ships. I will then usually switch to torpedo bombers and try to find lone targets or AP bombers and try to slingshot cruisers. Whenever I get CA/BB in the AP bomb reticle the damn spread sometimes shoots the AP Bombs in separate directions even if the ship is fully in reticle bow/stern on which I find really dumb but I have hit citadels and have a good idea of where to aim the reticle. Torpedos seem to be my most reliable damage even if I lose 2-3 planes I usually get 4k-10k hits on targets. At this point I usually stop using the rocket planes unless a DD is still up or theres a low health CA/BB. During all of this, Im usually watching Minimap and moving my CV to the area thats not collapsing so I don't get flanked by enemies which usually keeps me alive.

This entire process usually repeats until the end. But I keep ending up with mostly sub-20k games with a 40k+ sprinkled in there occassionally. I feel like I'm supporting like Im supposed to (Permaspots/bugging certain enemies) but my low damage score makes me feel like Im more a liability and am just getting carried. Its completely unlike BB/DD and most of the time I feel like Im doing chip damage but I do know that CVs are apparently focused around DOT rather then alpha damage. Should I just be torp spamming? Am I doing something wrong with the AP Bombs or is  RNGjesus just not on my side? (I've had BBs in the full reticle and had bombs go into the water on the sides). Are rockets always dumbfire? (Again, had DDs inside the reticle and have only 1-2 rockets hit). I'm about to move onto Tier 8 and from what I see on the forums, that is brutal for a CV that isn't ready due to the uptiering with Tier 10, so just asking questions.

Edited by Kataclysms

[HINON]
Members
14,209 posts

TB are your bread and butter, AP bombs are the next best thing once you get proficient with them, the attack planes are dead last for effectiveness. Yuro's vid might help a  bit as well. Scenarios also can be good practice for the attack mechanics are they are longer giving you time to try over and over again.

• Cool 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,813 posts
12,810 battles

Stop playing for Damage.  Damage for some thinks that wins games.  Some Unicums play to survive and the damage will come.  I had a match that thought I did horrible and it was lost, looked up I was over 55k in dmg for a tier 6. CVs are a ton of work.  I started a completely separate steam account focus on CV play so don't bother looking at CV stats on its account, it's all before the changes.  I have been playing the UK its a lot of work.  Focusing DDs will win lots of games if the team kills them with you.  I have been trying my best if I can get to my dds getting focus by planes to drop my fighter planes over them.  Some will tell you its a waste but DDs are the eyes.  They die, rest your team starts playing soft because most can't adapt to playing without dds.  I always ask in-game when all our dds are gone, how do they play if the match never had dds?

Practice, Practice, Practice, and I don't think you need to jump tiers so fast either.  Yes, Scenarios are fun for CVs.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,067 posts
19,434 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

TB are your bread and butter, AP bombs are the next best thing once you get proficient with them, the attack planes are dead last for effectiveness. 

:Smile_great:

@Kataclysms IJN CV's are battleship and cruiser killers. The torpedo bombers and their AP armed dive bombers can chunk health off of ships quick. The AP bombs are a bit of a roll of the RNG dice. I've had bombs to overpen when perfectly lined up on a ships superstructure area between turrets length ways. I've got two citadels when the enemy ships correctly turn and I'm forced to drop completely from the side. Most of the time however, they behave as they should. Rewarded for attacking from the correct angles.

The rockets are effective against any ship you use them on.

The only weaknesses I have noticed are

1 the IJN planes shred easily (which at T10 they all do)

2 AP bombs are basically ineffective against DD's. Only time advisable use there is if you are by chance flying them and need a emergency reset of a cap or if a DD is down to like 100 or less HP health.

3 It seems the AA on the IJN CV's are weaker than their counterparts in the USN and RN. (tech tree) 

Members
4 posts
696 battles

Hello everyone,

So it sounds like Im making the right call by spending alot of time perma-spotting ships even if Im not necessarily racking up 20k+ damage in the game. I did notice that often times getting rid of a DD caused the CA/BB behind him to start clumping together or backing away from the cap completely. This usually results in that side collapsing as teammates start chasing them. I will however start torp spamming a bit more, I didn't realize how often I'd have the torpedo bombers and they usually are pretty tanky unless I get uptiered (Tier 8 CA are terrible to attack, they just eat my planes.)

Members
4 posts
696 battles

Hello everyone,

Just a question about CV skills. I heard TA is not recommended on IJN CVs due to their innate speed but I also see videos recommending them all the time, so what is the actual consenus on TA?
image.thumb.png.511b666d877e7eeb52236a9f8f02a839.png

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,322 posts

TA also means having to drop them earlier i believe so they arm in time.

Members
4 posts
696 battles

Hello Skurj,

Oh that make sense cause there faster...That would be rather detrimental but it also means I could possibly slingshot out of AA faster right? I think I'l pull off it for now and replace it with sight stable.

Sign in to follow this