You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Baby_Shark_DODODODO

when do you play other people?

12 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
63 battles

Hello!

I made my way to the Tier IV US Carrier, USS Langley, but all I ever play against is a team of bot players except for the opposing carrier.  Just two humans amongst 24 ships.  Are there ever two full teams in this game?  It is getting really boring.  Why can't I shoot their planes with mine?

Thanks!

• Confused 1

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
17 minutes ago, Baby_Shark_DODODODO said:

Hello!

I made my way to the Tier IV US Carrier, USS Langley, but all I ever play against is a team of bot players except for the opposing carrier.  Just two humans amongst 24 ships.  Are there ever two full teams in this game?  It is getting really boring.  Why can't I shoot their planes with mine?

Thanks!

there are game modes. Coop means, you are gonna paly against bots. in randoms you play against other people. but before doing that, i would suggest you to learn some basics and then switch to randoms.

you cant shoot down enemy planes with your because WG decided to rework the CVs and remove CV vs CV interaction because WG thought that it was "too complicated" for the playerbase. (other words: our player base doesnt have taht many functional brain cells.

[PVE]
Members
11,783 posts
24,411 battles
36 minutes ago, Baby_Shark_DODODODO said:

Hello!

Thanks!

As a new player you are still in protected MM. Initially you can only play Co-op and then once you are allowed to play Randoms it is only against other similar new players. Lots of experienced players love to seal club at low tiers to stat pad so WG protects you from them initially. This protected Randoms MM may not have enough players to fill the teams so bots are used. Once you reach a certain point in your service record you will leave protected MM and enter regular MM in Randoms. You will see plenty of humans once that happens and at T4 you will see a lot of 2 and even 3 CV games.

T4 CV's do not have fighter squadrons you can drop from your attack aircraft. They only have fighters to protect the CV itself and those are auto activated. You have to get to T6 CVs to have fighters you can drop. However, be it the fighters from a CV or an attack squad they are automatically controlled. You can't fly them and fight other planes. Doesn't work that way. IF you want plane vs plane combat try World of Warplanes. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Members
7 posts
63 battles
1 minute ago, ghostbuster_ said:

there are game modes. Coop means, you are gonna paly against bots. in randoms you play against other people. but before doing that, i would suggest you to learn some basics and then switch to randoms.

you cant shoot down enemy planes with your because WG decided to rework the CVs and remove CV vs CV interaction because WG thought that it was "too complicated" for the playerbase. (other words: our player base doesnt have taht many functional brain cells.

Thank you!  I think I am playing random battles.  The red battles, not the blue ones.  I switched when they became available as I was playing the Clemson.

In the Clemson I had a couple all or mostly humans on both sides battles.  In the Langley, ir has just been me against another human in a carrier and then 11 bots on a side.  I usually have to wait 2 or 3 minutes for a battle even though the screen says it should only be a minute.

So I'll never have dogfights?  That sounds lame.

Members
7 posts
63 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

As a new player you are still in protected MM. Initially you can only play Co-op and then once you are allowed to play Randoms it is only against other similar new players. Lots of experienced players love to seal club at low tiers to stat pad so WG protects you from them initially. This protected Randoms MM may not have enough players to fill the teams so bots are used. Once you reach a certain point in your service record you will leave protected MM and enter regular MM in Randoms. You will see plenty of humans once that happens and at T4 you will see a lot of 2 and even 3 CV games.

T4 CV's do not have fighter squadrons you can drop from your attack aircraft. They only have fighters to protect the CV itself and those are auto activated. You have to get to T6 CVs to have fighters you can drop. However, be it the fighters from a CV or an attack squad they are automatically controlled. You can't fly them and fight other plans. Doesn't work that way. IF you want plane vs plane combat try World of Warplanes. 

Thank you!  I don't understand everything you said, but the jist seema to be that I need to be patient and I'll get the chance to play against people.  I appreciate your reply.

[PVE]
Members
11,783 posts
24,411 battles
38 minutes ago, Baby_Shark_DODODODO said:

Thank you!  I don't understand everything you said, but the jist seema to be that I need to be patient and I'll get the chance to play against people.  I appreciate your reply.

Sorry if I was unclear or posted info you don't understand. Let me try again...

1. You have a Service Record "Level" based on various things you have achieved/done in the game. For various things you do it unlocks the next level of your service record (and often gives a reward). Your Service Record Level used to be represented by a number (ie; 15 was the highest you could go at one point) but they changed it to a linear progression bar type of thing now. To see where you are at currently (and what is ahead) launch the game and from the port look up top right in the middle of the screen and click on the Profile tab (just under and to the right of the BATTLE button). Once that opens click on the Service Record option in the menu to the left mid screen (it might open to this option by default?). Once it is open you can scroll left and right in the progress bar near the top. It shows what you have reached and what still needs to be unlocked. Clicking on the icons shows more info on them. This is where you unlock various things in the game by reaching the required milestones. 
  2. MM = Match Making. This is the process where you hit enter and wait in the queue for the game to start. It is the game trying to set teams based on the rules of MM. Up through and including T4 ships you are matched under a +1/-1 MM system (this is part of protected MM- see below). That means you only face ships that are at most 1 tier lower or 1 tier higher. So for your T4 Langley for example you will only see T3/T4/T5 ships (the exception being if you division with someone of a higher tier you might end up in a game with ships you shouldn't see - not super common but does happen). At T5 you enter +2/-1 MM. T5 ships can see T4 (if they do however T5 will always be the highest in the game) /T5/T6/T7 ships. This is where MM starts to hurt as T5 vs T7 can be very hard. T6 also works under a +2/-1 MM. It can see T5/T6/T7/T8. T7 and T8 have a +2/-2 MM. T7 can see T5/T6/T7/T8/T9. T8 can see T6/T7/T8/T9/T10. T9 uses a +1/-2 MM which means you can see T7/T8/T9/T10. T10 is the highest tier possible and has -2 MM which means it can see T8/T9/T10. So depending on what tier you play Match Making (MM) will place you with other players in various, but restricted, tiers of ships. T3 will not see T10 for example.
  3. Protected MM = this is partly as explained above limiting MM to +1/-1 for players at T4 and below. However, it also involves only playing Co-op until you reach a certain point and then being placed in a special protected mode once you have unlocked Randoms (this is based on your Service Record Level as outlined in #1) with other new players only. Experienced players are not allowed in. If there are not enough players to fill the teams you will get bots as you have seen to this point (which indicates you are still in protected MM in Randoms). It was based on the # of your service level back when I started as I recall but it is now based, I believe, on how many games you have played. Something like 50 or 100 games and then you enter regular MM. So basically you just need to keep playing and once you reach whatever milestone it is WG has set now for unlocking full non protected Random MM. It will happen automatically and you will notice the level of play goes up (or should) and you no longer se the bots.
  4. Planes = WOWS does not have manually controlled fighters anymore (it used to in the old style of CV's but that was changed back in Update 8.0 to what we have now which is nothing like the old style). ONLY the torp/bomb/rocket planes are controlled manually by the player. CV's at all tiers come with defensive fighters that are 100% automatically controlled by the game. They stay near the CV when launched to protect it and as said you can't launch them; the game does when it feels they are necessary. T6/T8/T10 CV's have a limited # of fighter consumables for the attack squadrons (torp/bomber/rocket) to use. You use them by pressing a button (like any consumable) and they come in at the location you dropped them. They have a set area they can patrol/fight in and they only last for a short time. Once they attack or the time runs out if they didn't attack they go away. The only control you have over them is where and when to drop them. You can not control them manually. 

Hope this is more clear and helps. :Smile_honoring: 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3

Members
7 posts
63 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Sorry if I was unclear or posted info you don't understand. Let me try again...

1. You have a Service Record "Level" based on various things you have achieved/done in the game. For various things you do it unlocks the next level of your service record (and often gives a reward). Your Service Record Level used to be represented by a number (ie; 15 was the highest you could go at one point) but they changed it to a linear progression bar type of thing now. To see where you are at currently (and what is ahead) launch the game and from the port look up top right in the middle of the screen and click on the Profile tab (just under and to the right of the BATTLE button). Once that opens click on the Service Record option in the menu to the left mid screen (it might open to this option by default?). Once it is open you can scroll left and right in the progress bar near the top. It shows what you have reached and what still needs to be unlocked. Clicking on the icons shows more info on them. This is where you unlock various things in the game by reaching the required milestones. 
  2. MM = Match Making. This is the process where you hit enter and wait in the queue for the game to start. It is the game trying to set teams based on the rules of MM. Up through and including T4 ships you are matched under a +1/-1 MM system (this is part of protected MM- see below). That means you only face ships that are at most 1 tier lower or 1 tier higher. So for your T4 Langley for example you will only see T3/T4/T5 ships (the exception being if you division with someone of a higher tier you might end up in a game with ships you shouldn't see - not super common but does happen). At T5 you enter +2/-1 MM. T5 ships can see T4 (if they do however T5 will always be the highest in the game) /T5/T6/T7 ships. This is where MM starts to hurt as T5 vs T7 can be very hard. T6 also works under a +2/-1 MM. It can see T5/T6/T7/T8. T7 and T8 have a +2/-2 MM. T7 can see T5/T6/T7/T8/T9. T8 can see T6/T7/T8/T9/T10. T9 uses a +1/-2 MM which means you can see T7/T8/T9/T10. T10 is the highest tier possible and has -2 MM which means it can see T8/T9/T10. So depending on what tier you play Match Making (MM) will place you with other players in various, but restricted, tiers of ships. T3 will not see T10 for example.
  3. Protected MM = this is partly as explained above limiting MM to +1/-1 for players at T4 and below. However, it also involves only playing Co-op until you reach a certain point and then being placed in a special protected mode once you have unlocked Randoms (this is based on your Service Record Level as outlined in #1) with other new players only. Experienced players are not allowed in. If there are not enough players to fill the teams you will get bots as you have seen to this point (which indicates you are still in protected MM in Randoms). It was based on the # of your service level back when I started as I recall but it is now based, I believe, on how many games you have played. Something like 50 or 100 games and then you enter regular MM. So basically you just need to keep playing and once you reach whatever milestone it is WG has set now for unlocking full non protected Random MM. It will happen automatically and you will notice the level of play goes up (or should) and you no longer se the bots.

Hope this is more clear and helps. :Smile_honoring: 

Wow!  And yes, it explains loads of stuff I wasn't aware of.  I really appreciate your time and effort with this.  Thank you.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,783 posts
24,411 battles
1 hour ago, Baby_Shark_DODODODO said:

Wow!  And yes, it explains loads of stuff I wasn't aware of.  I really appreciate your time and effort with this.  Thank you.

Np. Always glad to help out. Also, I edited it to add a 4th thing so go back and read #4.

Feel free to PM me if you ever have questions or need help. You can also post on the forums and call my attention to the thread by typing my username in with an @ symbol in front of it. So @AdmiralThunder

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[90THD]
Beta Testers
145 posts
2,175 battles

I picked up carriers very recently myself after 1700 + battles.. There is a learning curve with the class. If you have you drop timings down between Rockets, Torpedoes and bombs.. play in random.. get your feet wet.. Real players sometimes know how to use WASD. Have fun with it..you will be in a lot of 2 carriers per side games and will need to learn the nuances of different ships that you will drop on. Took me about 15 games to grind up to the tier 6. Look at you tube a guy by the name of top tier is a good reference also World of warships replays are helpful to assist with learning positioning and such. 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
3 hours ago, Baby_Shark_DODODODO said:

Hello!

Thanks!

US CV line is the best in my opinion.  I have perma camo for Ranger and Lex.  Keep grinding its totaly worth it.

Edited by jags_domain

[YORHA]
Members
4,992 posts
9,977 battles

Patience is the watchword.  Patience and perseverance.

While you are progressing you should have a look at this series.

Episodes 1-4 amd episode 8 are probably appropriate for where you are now.  The rest will become relevant once you get stuck in tier V and up.