You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

At this point in time, WG should just sell premium T10

12 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles

TL,DR: The sea is already very salty, ergo peeing into it isn't going to change its saltiness. In fact, it's probably healthier that way.

My argument points (because I don't feel like writing a whole essay on this)

Inevitability of Failing Your Way Up

• There are already a massive amount of bad players at T10
  • Quite a lot of said bad players get into T10, despite there being  supposed "grindwalls" and "paywalls"
  • A lot of lower tier ships are boring to play and players end up skipping them with few games played anyways

Are The Game Mechanics Fun?

• Getting new players into T10 directly will allow them to skip the CV hell that is T4
  • T10 balance is not perfect, but it is better than other tiers that are not T1
  • T7/8 is where magical tier difference penetration and armor values breaks a lot of the game
  • The game is very punishing of mistakes at T10, but bad players will make critical mistakes at any tier, making zero difference

Cost of items to buy your way into T10

• IMO, everything is too expensive and there should be a universal 50% cash discount on everything in the shop.
    Not only does this lower the bar for those willing to buy themselves into T10, it should also allow existing players to get the "full experience" of a fully decked out 19pt captain.
  • If a lot of the "grind wall" and "paywall" is removed, there is further potential of clans/groups from other games to try and pick up WoWs, rather than this niche, [edited][edited]expensive game to play. This is especially so for the competitive portion, which, oddly enough, WG has deemed T10 as the only point of entry.
    Instead of: "Hey! my pro twitch team, wanna spend $200 and 500hrs testing the waters to getting into the competitive segment of WoWs?"
    It could be: "Hey! my pro twitch team, wanna spend $60 and 10hrs testing the competitive waters of WoWs?"
  • If people dislike how the game plays, they will leave regardless of the paywall or grindwall.
    Conversely, if people like how the game plays, but have to go through a paywall or grindwall, do you think they will be enthusiastic about the preposition? I don't.

Other Aspects

• T10 is for "good players only" is a misconception, as is "lower tiers are for nubs only"
    Clubbing of seals happens at any tier where there is a vast skill discrepancy and is especially so when the top skill player is allowed to play in a top tier ship (e.g. Clemson in T3/4, Belfast in T5-7)
  • "But my Game Quality!" Blowouts will happen for far longer than necessary, if players are forced to relearn every time they go up a few tiers. Therefore, it's better to dump new players into T10 directly, if they want to go there.
    The game dynamics change quite a lot at T9/10 and anybody who has played progressed up the tech tree "properly" will have to learn a whole new game. Despite what many people are lead to believe, T8 does not get your "toes wet" for T9/10 meta.
    Arguably, you are forced to learn a lot more things at T7, which then become irrelevant at T10. aka, through no fault of your own, gimped
    i.e. Commander point disadvantage, lack of Concealment module, gimped HE penetration, lack of range, lack of speed, lack of 30mm+ armor, presence of radar, etc.
  • That slippery slope... P2W
    Yes, there are definitely OP premium ships... but there are also OP tech tree ships as well. At T10, the Kremlin and Hakuryu stand out as being the most egregiously OP and neither of those are premium ships. At a distant third would be Stalingrad.
    I would argue that, currently, Stalingrad is the only T10 premium must have and it's not so much P2W that's the issue here, but limited accessibility to the ship.
  • To the same extent, accessibility to a 19pt captain from the get go is also an issue with the game
    I understand that other games will make you "level up" your weapon of choice too, but in other games, the disadvantage of having a dead stock weapon is far less of an impact than having a 0pt captain in WoWs.
  • Toxicity/Elitism
    There is definitely a whiff of elitism surrounding having "earned" a T10, especially a rare one and how some people have "not earned their way there".
    If there is suddenly a large influx of players that have said rare or otherwise, T10 ship, it should drive off quite a lot of that kind of "culture".
    -Not that WG isn't partially to blame for said culture, as they never made any statements regarding how skill does not and should not correlate to ship tier-

Now, I don't claim that my argument is impervious to criticism, but consider it as an alternative to how WoWs currently is.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 4

[INTEL]
Members
13,073 posts
36,080 battles

Excellent! I especially like the half price proposal. Everything is much too expensive....

[LOU1]
Members
4,170 posts
12,075 battles

I believe selling end game content for money bars a game from participating in professional esports competitions.  As I understand it, the end content has to be earnable and available to any player without the requirement for them to pay real money.

• Funny 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
15 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I believe selling end game content for money bars a game from participating in professional esports competitions.  As I understand it, the end content has to be earnable and available to any player without the requirement for them to pay real money.

this game will never be a professional esport...  because rng...

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,914 battles
10 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Excellent! I especially like the half price proposal. Everything is much too expensive....

You know that they will try to double the cost of everything with T10 right?

You will literally be paying twice the cost for the WORST meta in the game lol 

Edited by Commander_367

[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,326 battles
12 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Sad, but true. At Tier 10, those who average <30k damage in a BB and <10k damage in a DD are truly zombies.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
4 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Seriously? That ship sailed, sunk and has been salvaged already, about as much chance of this as seeing a live major league baseball game today.

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,833 battles
13 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

TL,DR: The sea is already very salty, ergo peeing into it isn't going to change its saltiness. In fact, it's probably healthier that way.

My argument points (because I don't feel like writing a whole essay on this)

Inevitability of Failing Your Way Up

• Quite a lot of said bad players get into T10, despite there being  supposed "grindwalls" and "paywalls"
  • A lot of lower tier ships are boring to play and players end up skipping them with few games played anyways

Are The Game Mechanics Fun?

• Getting new players into T10 directly will allow them to skip the CV hell that is T4
  • T10 balance is not perfect, but it is better than other tiers that are not T1
  • T7/8 is where magical tier difference penetration and armor values breaks a lot of the game
  • The game is very punishing of mistakes at T10, but bad players will make critical mistakes at any tier, making zero difference

Cost of items to buy your way into T10

• IMO, everything is too expensive and there should be a universal 50% cash discount on everything in the shop.
    Not only does this lower the bar for those willing to buy themselves into T10, it should also allow existing players to get the "full experience" of a fully decked out 19pt captain.
  • If a lot of the "grind wall" and "paywall" is removed, there is further potential of clans/groups from other games to try and pick up WoWs, rather than this niche, [edited][edited]expensive game to play. This is especially so for the competitive portion, which, oddly enough, WG has deemed T10 as the only point of entry.
    Instead of: "Hey! my pro twitch team, wanna spend $200 and 500hrs testing the waters to getting into the competitive segment of WoWs?"
    It could be: "Hey! my pro twitch team, wanna spend $60 and 10hrs testing the competitive waters of WoWs?"
  • If people dislike how the game plays, they will leave regardless of the paywall or grindwall.
    Conversely, if people like how the game plays, but have to go through a paywall or grindwall, do you think they will be enthusiastic about the preposition? I don't.

Other Aspects

• T10 is for "good players only" is a misconception, as is "lower tiers are for nubs only"
    Clubbing of seals happens at any tier where there is a vast skill discrepancy and is especially so when the top skill player is allowed to play in a top tier ship (e.g. Clemson in T3/4, Belfast in T5-7)
  • "But my Game Quality!" Blowouts will happen for far longer than necessary, if players are forced to relearn every time they go up a few tiers. Therefore, it's better to dump new players into T10 directly, if they want to go there.
    The game dynamics change quite a lot at T9/10 and anybody who has played progressed up the tech tree "properly" will have to learn a whole new game. Despite what many people are lead to believe, T8 does not get your "toes wet" for T9/10 meta.
    Arguably, you are forced to learn a lot more things at T7, which then become irrelevant at T10. aka, through no fault of your own, gimped
    i.e. Commander point disadvantage, lack of Concealment module, gimped HE penetration, lack of range, lack of speed, lack of 30mm+ armor, presence of radar, etc.
  • That slippery slope... P2W
    Yes, there are definitely OP premium ships... but there are also OP tech tree ships as well. At T10, the Kremlin and Hakuryu stand out as being the most egregiously OP and neither of those are premium ships. At a distant third would be Stalingrad.
    I would argue that, currently, Stalingrad is the only T10 premium must have and it's not so much P2W that's the issue here, but limited accessibility to the ship.
  • To the same extent, accessibility to a 19pt captain from the get go is also an issue with the game
    I understand that other games will make you "level up" your weapon of choice too, but in other games, the disadvantage of having a dead stock weapon is far less of an impact than having a 0pt captain in WoWs.
  • Toxicity/Elitism
    There is definitely a whiff of elitism surrounding having "earned" a T10, especially a rare one and how some people have "not earned their way there".
    If there is suddenly a large influx of players that have said rare or otherwise, T10 ship, it should drive off quite a lot of that kind of "culture".
    -Not that WG isn't partially to blame for said culture, as they never made any statements regarding how skill does not and should not correlate to ship tier-

Now, I don't claim that my argument is impervious to criticism, but consider it as an alternative to how WoWs currently is.

Cliff's Notes: Let's make it much, much easier for new players to go directly to T10.

[WOLFD]
Members
82 posts
6,791 battles

The notion that Tier 10 is only for the experienced/skilled player has become an outdated ideal. That ship sailed a long time ago. Camos, economic signal flags, special signal flags, premium ships from containers, and premium time has newer players racing up the tech tree faster than in the past. The credit cost of a poor battle in high tier matches has been offset by perma camos that reduce a ship's service cost and signal flags that enhance credits earned. When I got Yamato, my first Tier 10, if I had a terrible match or 2 in it, I lost ton of credits to repair costs. When that happened, it forced me to play a few matches in a lower tier to earn enough credits to risk another go with it. It motivated me to learn a few things about how that ship played. It didn't make me a unicum with crazy skills/stats, but I learned that in order to contribute, I had to live long enough to cause damage to the enemy team. That meant learning how to angle against different opponents, proper ammo choice for the situation, and reading the mini map. Players pissed and moaned about the poor economy at high tiers and WG responded by softening the blow a bit with fixed service costs, camos, and signals. Now that it is possible to play poorly in a high tier ship, such as the player sniping in a GK for the entire match or the DD yolo rushing a cap, and not lose a ship ton of credits...there is little to lose. There are other reasons why high tier play has turned into a cesspool over the last couple years. Probably too many to list. Regardless of how we got here, it's where we are. At this point, there is not much of a downside to allowing a player to plunk down $150+ USD and allow them to buy a tier 10 premium if they want to. Maybe if they invest that much real money into the game, they may take the time to learn how to play it. Even if they don't, they still spent money on this game. Money coming in keeps the lights on, the servers running, and hopefully new content flowing.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,405 battles

Sure sell T-10 premiums however you only get to take it to Co-Op until you grind your way to T-10  in the tech tree, or implement skill based MM for said premiums to even out the potatoes. 

[-KIA-]
Members
3,475 posts
14,854 battles
1 hour ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Sure sell T-10 premiums however you only get to take it to Co-Op until you grind your way to T-10 

I wouldn't even be against that. I think they should even put it to the next level by restricting to COOP every premium ship above the tier of your max silver ship tier. That way all those new player who started with Alaska wouldn't just straight up suicide run, blame the game for not being "realistic" or having "coward team mate".

At least it will reduce the amount of stupid play we see way too often. And it's not like those players actually care about game mecanics and such anyway. Most players who buy their way into high tier ships are only here to shoot stuff. Those who play random and complain about how high tier ship are OP or how his premium is too weak and so, are those who leave the game because they don't want to improve.

• Cool 1

[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,326 battles
On 4/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, HallaSnackbar said:

Sure sell T-10 premiums however you only get to take it to Co-Op until you grind your way to T-10  in the tech tree, or implement skill based MM for said premiums to even out the potatoes. 

You know what, this is actually a good idea.

Edited by _Marines
  • Cool 1