You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
UltimateNewbie

Tier 9/10 Ranked Sprint - What is the point?

45 comments in this topic

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,508 battles

I was surprised to see the announcement that the next season of Ranked Sprint would involve Tier 9 and 10 ships.  

I understood that the primary purpose of Ranked Sprint was to be available to newer players, give them some experience of ranked play but in a less brutal environment, and offer up 10k coal that would be relatively achievable for even new players to get. 

Most newer players of a few hundred-1k battles dont have T9 and T10 ships - let alone 'optimal' ships for a ranked environment. 

Has WG lost the plot?

What was wrong with T5-T7 ships?

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,073 posts
36,080 battles

This way they will sell more expensive High tier premium ships.

• Cool 5

[SALVO]
Members
24,844 posts
25,932 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

This way they will sell more expensive High tier premium ships.

So they think.  For me, it just makes Ranked Sprint less appealing.  To me, the appeal of Sprint was that it was a lower tier, shorter season version of Ranked.  Now they're ruining the appeal of it to the point that it will likely destroy any desire to play it at all.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[SAPP]
Members
95 posts
8,340 battles

It's all about how much money they can get from us.  They've lost focus on the lower tier players.  

[FAE]
Members
2,610 posts
3,593 battles

considering people can't even play in random right at any tier, id argue this is no longer an issue of skill but atribrariness. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Are you really surprised? WG doesnt care about the player base. They want o push players to high tiers because its where they make more profit, most players need premium time and/or special camo to play high tiers ships. Also, high tiers premium ships are the most expensive ones. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

I thought it was tier 7!!!

A far better tier but if they want a level playing field they would make it tier 1.

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,073 posts
36,080 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

I thought it was tier 7!!!

Regular Ranked is T7. At least WG was sensible on that one. Kudos to them.

I think everyone except a few unicums is colossally tired of T10. The gaming up there is so awful.

• Cool 1

[KERMT]
Members
1,009 posts
37 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I was surprised to see the announcement that the next season of Ranked Sprint would involve Tier 9 and 10 ships.  

I understood that the primary purpose of Ranked Sprint was to be available to newer players, give them some experience of ranked play but in a less brutal environment, and offer up 10k coal that would be relatively achievable for even new players to get. 

Most newer players of a few hundred-1k battles dont have T9 and T10 ships - let alone 'optimal' ships for a ranked environment. 

Has WG lost the plot?

What was wrong with T5-T7 ships?

This is how they test the balance of ships during these ranked sprint's. 

They pick the tiers and type of battles to generate specific data that is used for balancing. 

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles
51 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I was surprised to see the announcement that the next season of Ranked Sprint would involve Tier 9 and 10 ships

On the PTS of 0.9.0 Arms Race was tested as a Random mode rotation at T8-10. This Ranked Sprint is 12 v 12 at T9-10. My theory is that it's a live server test to include Arms Race as a permanent part of Random battles. No source, just speculation.

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles

not really sure the viability of taking a tier 9 other then to boost your base xp at the end to save a star. i suppose it is just random battles but i can only think of a few tier 9s that would be capable of being competitive to their tier 10 counterparts.

kitakaze, alaska, georgia all other tier 9s would just be inferior to the tier 10 version

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,602 posts
15,741 battles

I submit with it including T10. This season may be more brutal than regular Ranked season. Reason being some people may not have access to the OP T10 ships and be dragging their not most desirable T9 ships to battle. Plus, there are some very skilled players who refuse to play anything except T10. This opens that venue for them.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WOLFC]
Members
2,882 posts
16,373 battles
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

So they think.  For me, it just makes Ranked Sprint less appealing.  To me, the appeal of Sprint was that it was a lower tier, shorter season version of Ranked.  Now they're ruining the appeal of it to the point that it will likely destroy any desire to play it at all.

That's already happened for me ...

I finally tried Sprint Seasons 5, 6 & 8 (Tier 7) and Season 7 (Tier 6).  But that was the only ones ... I don't remember what levels Season 9 and 10 were.

But it is sad to cut out newer players at lower tiers ... 

[WOLFG]
Members
29,134 posts
8,345 battles
2 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

not really sure the viability of taking a tier 9 other then to boost your base xp at the end to save a star. i suppose it is just random battles but i can only think of a few tier 9s that would be capable of being competitive to their tier 10 counterparts.

kitakaze, alaska, georgia all other tier 9s would just be inferior to the tier 10 version

Depends on what you have. I may run Musashi and Donskoi, along with Hindy and Montana. (and likely Thunderer, although I won't have it right off the bat)

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Depends on what you have. I may run Musashi and Donskoi, along with Hindy and Montana. (and likely Thunderer, although I won't have it right off the bat)

i wouldnt recommend musashi with cv.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i hope not...    it's fine for a special mode... but i don't want more gimmicks in randoms...

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,570 posts
11,186 battles
14 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Regular Ranked is T7. At least WG was sensible on that one. Kudos to them.

I think everyone except a few unicums is colossally tired of T10. The gaming up there is so awful.

I have to agree for the most part it gets boring real quick .

Edited by clammboy

[PVE]
Members
6,195 posts
22,432 battles

Wait...Wut???

I thought the whole point...

Oh...what's the point...in questioning it? It's gonna be what it's gonna be...despite what they advertised it as when introduced.

[O_O]
Members
6,451 posts
15,361 battles

I am tired of Tier 10 requirements.  Tiers 9-10 doesn't reduce the fatigue.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
15 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I submit with it including T10. This season may be more brutal than regular Ranked season. Reason being some people may not have access to the OP T10 ships and be dragging their not most desirable T9 ships to battle. Plus, there are some very skilled players who refuse to play anything except T10. This opens that venue for them.

Bending the knee to the I am better than you crowd would be the worng thing to do.

If they have there nose stuffed up somewehere then they can leave it there and let the rest of us understand this is suppose to be fun.

• Boring 1