Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yaluen

Reliably citadel BBs with AP bombs?

7 comments in this topic

[BABC]
Members
81 posts

Since cruisers are kind of a hit or miss thing, I was looking into being able to increase damage reliability by targeting sections of BBs, especially in all those times when they're busy bow tanking in matches. After dinking around in Training trying to find a sweet spot for dropping AP bombs with the Shokaku, however, there didn't seem to be a reliable way to get citadels beyond avoiding drops into the bow or stern (since there's no citadel there) (assuming non-moving target). Besides aiming for the central section of the ships, are we really at the mercy of dispersion RNG to get any reliable damage out of these? Dropping the bombs high seemed to have helped with clustering, but that might have just been a one-off illusion.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles
28 minutes ago, yaluen said:

Since cruisers are kind of a hit or miss thing, I was looking into being able to increase damage reliability by targeting sections of BBs, especially in all those times when they're busy bow tanking in matches. After dinking around in Training trying to find a sweet spot for dropping AP bombs with the Shokaku, however, there didn't seem to be a reliable way to get citadels beyond avoiding drops into the bow or stern (since there's no citadel there) (assuming non-moving target). Besides aiming for the central section of the ships, are we really at the mercy of dispersion RNG to get any reliable damage out of these? Dropping the bombs high seemed to have helped with clustering, but that might have just been a one-off illusion.

Yes, rng is fairly important. And the type of BB. American BB are quite hard to citadel, while German citadel seems to be trying to catch your bombs.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,804 posts
21,723 battles

If citadels were no-fail reliable to get nobody would play battleships anymore. That said, as @Y_Nagato said, German BBs seem to be more vulnerable to them than, say, USN ones.

I don't really carrier so I wouldn't be able to tell you more.

Members
358 posts
5,926 battles

I once dropped Enterprise bombs on a Kremlin and I got 5x citadels on a single drop. Was an incredible game imho.

The bombs tended to fall on the back deck so my only guess is that they completely missed the superstructure and penned right through the deck. My guess would be try to avoid hitting the bulky areas of a superstructure and drop high so the bombs have a better angle hitting the armor

[BABC]
Members
81 posts

Let's rephrase the topic. When would you decide that "Hey, now is a good time to bring out the dive bombers and gamble a little with it" instead of, say, torp bombers?

[WOLF3]
Members
30,969 posts
26,039 battles

Heavy Cruisers (especially as you go higher in the tiers), Super Cruisers (Kronshtadt, Alaska, etc), German and Russian Battleships are your choice targets for AP Bombs.

Members
1,433 posts
1,852 battles
On 4/27/2020 at 12:00 PM, yaluen said:

I was looking into being able to increase damage reliability by targeting sections of BBs, especially in all those times when they're busy bow tanking in matches. After dinking around in Training trying to find a sweet spot for dropping AP bombs with the Shokaku, however, there didn't seem to be a reliable way to get citadels beyond avoiding drops into the bow or stern (since there's no citadel there) (assuming non-moving target). Besides aiming for the central section of the ships, are we really at the mercy of dispersion RNG to get any reliable damage out of these?

Russian(not Soviet, Imperial Russian!)battleships are easy. Just aim for the main turrets, they only have 75mm of armor.

Sign in to follow this