You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shrayes_Bhagavatula

Proposal: Tier XI Ships

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,039 posts
4,347 battles

So, I've been peeking around the historical archives of more than a few navies ( because I'm stuck in quarantine and I'm bored ), such as the USN, IJN, VMF, RN, MN, RM,KM, and a whole lot more, and I kept stumbling across some of the most ridiculous projects I have ever seen, such as the A-150, O-42, Tillman Maximum Battleships, Project 24, and so many more warships, which ended up driving me to do this. Now, I know that there has been ridicule about placing Tiers above Tier 10 in the game ( WeeGee's thing across all three of it's War titles is that it caps out at Tier X, no more, no less ), but I was thinking, what if there was a way to do something like Tier XI, one step beyond the realm of the reasonable implementation limits of the game, and into the realm of the most deranged and mentally unstable of warship designers of the 1940s. Those warship designers who designed the most absurd of battleships, cruisers, and destroyers, and even aircraft carriers ( okay, maybe not that last one for this, but this is Wargaming were talking about here ).

Here's how the initial concept would go for Tier XI ships when it comes to fitting out and battling

• Protected Matchmaking Tier XI ships will never fight against Tier IX or Tier X ships, they will only fight themselves on the high seas ( I am going to heavily stress this )
  • Limited Design Brackets: Any KNOWN warships and armaments at this Tier will be found ONLY from 1940 to 1954. No warships or weapons from beyond this time, nor will there be any "upgraded ships", such as the 1970s FRAM upgrades that the Gearing-class received ( I am going to heavily stress this as well)
  • Size and Firepower limitations; HP pools will not exceed more than 150,000 hitpoints, nor will firepower exceed more than the overall broadside weight of 66 metric tons of steel in the air at once ( Senator Tillman, I'm looking squarely at you )
  • Upgrade Slots: A SEVENTH upgrade slot will become available to ONLY Tier XI ships. NO Tier IX or X ships will have access to these special upgrades.
  • Unique Armory Tab: Tier XI ships will be available in a unique tab of the Armory in exchange for either Research Points, Coal, Steel, or Doubloons. They will be purchasable for any of these resources, as in, say the O-42 costs a certain amount of Research Points (O-42 being the example, not what actually happens ), you could also purchase it for the same value in either steel, coal, doubloons, or real money.
  • Commanders: Commanders will remain the same, though they will gain experience around 10% quicker on Tier XI ships
  • Economy Gain: Credit and Experience earned will also increase by around 10% compared to standard Tier IX or X premiums. All Experience earned on these ships is immediately converted to FXP at a rate of 5 Ship XP to 1 FXP
  • Maps: Larger Maps, which are around 60km x 60km in area, will allow for an increase in the amount of island cover and thus an increase in dynamic gameplay. There will be no map that has no less than 55% of it covered in land, nor will there be an "Ocean" Map, where there is no land at all.
  • Team Composition: Teams will comprise of a 12 vs 12 team lineup, with no cap on the number of cruisers, but a maximum of 4 Battleships and 4 destroyers per team, with Battlecruisers, such as the aforementioned O-42, will receive the same MM as the Battleships
  • Game Modes: Tier XI ships will compete in a special game-mode where only Tier XI ships can combat each other. These ships will not be allowed in Random Battles. Special Scenarios will also be created for these warships as well.

Here are some other notes to make sure of.

1. Tier XI ships will be VERY expensive. Were talking more than 300,000 coal for the destroyers, and upwards of 600,000 coal for the Battleships. Thankfully, they make good money and are fairly cheap to service.
  2. Tier XI Destroyers will receive 21mm plating, Tier XI Cruisers will receive 32mm plating, and Tier XI Battleships will receive 36mm plating.
  3. The Minimum Caliber for Battleships is 457mm at Tier XI, with some exceptions. Don't underestimate them.
  4. Tier XI ships will also have special MM rules, in which there is a certain skill barrier which, to put it in simple terms, places a wall between a potato facing off against a unicum. Of course, this is based upon general Winrate rules.

So then, let's get into some of the Potential Ships that could be placed at this Tier. Please note that this is going to be a TL;DR list, rather than a compilation of separate ideas. Don't expect that for a while. Also, I should note that a LOT of these ships are my own theorycrafting on what a Tier XI ship might look like. Please do NOT take this with a historical point of view.

USN

Destroyers

• Expanded Gearing Class : Basically a paper project that takes a Gearing and makes it better. Using a 3 x 2 setup with the 127mm/54 guns instead of the 127mm/38 guns and better torpedoes certainly sounds like a worthy warship for Tier XI. And let's not forget that it could also carry the Black radar in a separate slot. Cost: 305,000 coal or equal
  • Super Somers: A USN torpedo boat with improved AA, faster main battery reload, and a faster variant of the Mark 29 torpedoes found on the U.S.S Black. Cost: 305,000 Coal or equal

Cruisers

• U.S.S Roanoke : The Roanoke is a Worcester Class cruiser. However, this Worcester-class cruiser gets a Destroyer-fast rate of fire and 10km USN radar, as well as more HP and better AA defenses. Cost: 420,000 coal or equal
  • Super Buffalo: Buffalo hull plus IMPROVED Des Moines guns with better armor? Who wouldn't say no to THAT? Cost: 450,000 coal or equal

Battleships

• Tillman Maximum Battleship Design IV-2: Well, who didn't see this coming? It's basically an Ohio on crack and then someCost: 605,500 Coal or equal

IJN

Destroyers

• Super Shimakaze: Basically a Shima with EVEN MORE torpedoes. Because that's what we all need sometimes, right? Cost: 310,000 coal or equal

Cruisers

• IJN AA Cruiser 1944 : Credit goes to Tzoli for uncovering this. Basically an IJN version of the Atlanta, but with 100mm ducky guns. This ought to be fun. Cost: 425,500 coal or equal
  • Super Yoshino: The first TIer XI Battlecruiser. Think Yoshino combined with Zao and made even more dangerous. Cost: 525,500 Coal or Equal

Battleships

• A-150 Super Yamato: Basically a "de-nerfed" Shikishima. The 20 inch guns are even more powerful than the ones on the Tier X version. Cost: 610,000 Coal or Equal

Royal Navy

Destroyers

• N/A

Cruisers

• N/A

Battleships

• Super Incomparable: When is the Incomparable not the Incomparable? When it resembles a Thunderer. 4 x 2 508mm main guns, but on a very squishy hull. Cost: 620,000 Coal or Equal

Soviet Navy ( Voenno-Morskoj Flot )

Destroyers

• Project 40Nbis : Basically a super Grozovoi with an extra gun turret and pimped-out torpedoes. Cost: 307,500 Coal or Equal
  • Project 47 Design Study : Khabarovsk with better armor plating, faster rate of fire, and better torpedoes. Cost: 308,000 Coal or Equal

Cruisers

• Project 22 : While very little information exists about this project, given the typical superpowers Soviet ships of the era receive, the Project 22 could find a home at Tier XI. Cost: 435,500 Coal or Equal
  • Project 82bis : While this is going to be extremely controversial, a follow up Project 82 Battlecruiser at Tier XI wouldn't be remiss at all. Cost: 590,000 Coal or Equal

Battleships

• Pobeda / Slava : Keep the ship as it is, but stick it at Tier XI. There, that oughta sort things out ( or maybe not, fix the range or something ). Cost: 620,000 Coal or Equal
  • Project 24 Preliminary : I'm sure that there's some version of the Project 24 in the portfolio that is somehow even more ridiculous than the Project 24 we already have in the game. In Soviet Russia, Paper Ship plays you! Cost: 635,500 Coal or Equal

French Navy ( Marine Nationale )

Destroyers

• T47 / T53 Class Destroyer : While it appears to be weaker than the Marceau on paper, it is compensated for by a higher rate of fire, improved gun ballistics, and improved torpedoes. Cost: 315,500 Coal or Equal
  • Super Kleber : This is basically what the Kleber is to the Mogador: a gradual improvement. The guns have a faster reload and longer range, while the ship itself gains higher amounts of HP and an extra torpedo tube on each side. Cost: 320,000 Coal or Equal

Cruisers

• Super Bayard : Because the Bayard is already a fairly good design, I believe that a more powerful version, with higher speed and faster firing guns, could serve our purposes at Tier XI. Cost: 410,000 Coal or Equal

Battleships

• Charlemagne-class Battleship: Credit also goes to Tzoli from the EU server for this. It's basically a 380mm Lyon. Need I say more? Cost: 610,500 Coal or Equal

German Navy ( Kriegsmarine )

Destroyers

• Zestorer 1945 : Z-52 with an extra 128mm twin turret and mega-boosted Hydroacoustic Search with 5 kilometers of torpedo detection range and 7 kilometers of ship spotting range. Cost: 320,500 Coal or Equal

Cruisers

• O-42 : The ultimate genesis of German Battlecruisers. While not much is known beyond the technical specifications, it is quite easy to tell from said specifications that the ship is, to put it mildly, over the top. Cost: 592,500 Coal or Equal

Battleships

• H-44 : The ultimate Brawling battleship, to put it in simple terms. Massive size and near-impenetrable turtleback armor are tempered by a shorter-than-average firing range and extreme clumsiness. Cost: 625,000 Coal or Equal

Italian Navy ( Regia Marina ) 

Battleships

• 4-16 / 16-40 Design Study: Courtesy of our Italian friend from the EU server, This is one of the more ridiculous warships, especially since it carries SIXTEEN 406mm guns. As if the Charlemagne wasn't ridiculous enough... Cost 620,000 Coal or Equal

Welp, that's all I got for you fellas today. I hope you take this with serious consideration rather than derision. I'll be updating this as time goes on and more and more designs and principles are incorporated into the fold. Hopefully, we may actually see something like this in the future!

THAT'S ALL, FOLKS

:SerB:

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Boring 3

Members
324 posts
4,316 battles

The Italian Navy was looking at making a 4x4 406mm/56 armed battleship at some point. The 4-16/16-40 design I think is how I've seen it referenced. Those guns would definitely make a worthy TXI ship

Members
1,039 posts
4,347 battles
5 minutes ago, Fr05ty said:

The Italian Navy was looking at making a 4x4 406mm/56 armed battleship at some point. The 4-16/16-40 design I think is how I've seen it referenced. Those guns would definitely make a worthy TXI ship

I actually did not notice that. By the way, could you, y'know, give me a list of websites or books that I can use for my historical / theorycrafting documentation? I'm really lacking on that at the moment, and could use some extra help with it.

Any help would be much appreciated:cap_like:

Members
324 posts
4,316 battles
13 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I actually did not notice that. By the way, could you, y'know, give me a list of websites or books that I can use for my historical / theorycrafting documentation? I'm really lacking on that at the moment, and could use some extra help with it.

Sadly, I only have secondary sources on such a design. Demon93IT was the one that found references to it in some shipyard in Italy, but I don't have any more data beyond that.

Members
92 posts
2,073 battles
Edited by skytank_invader

Members
1,039 posts
4,347 battles
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,046 posts
284 battles
2 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

There is no information on it online, the info we have comes from Demon93IT, who lives in Italy (at least I believe he does, could be he gets info from friends in Italy). As for it's place in the tree, if Venezia is anything to go off of, the 4-16/16-40 design is a likely candidate for tier X, and not tier XI like for the ships suggested in this thread.

As for technical data, this is all we've gotten:

Standard displacement: 61200 tons

Full load displacement: 66336 tons

Lenght: 256 m between perpendiculars

Beam: 40 m

Draught: //(currently missing the data)

Installed power: 195000 hp

Maximum speed: 29 knots

Protection: 50+(406 - 203) mm(belt), currently missing the data on the rest

Armament: 4x4 406/56, currently missing the data on the rest

NJ1UFbJ.png

And this is the only image posted that is reportedly from the design

Members
1,039 posts
4,347 battles
5 minutes ago, Panzer20000 said:

There is no information on it online, the info we have comes from Demon93IT, who lives in Italy. As for it's place in the tree, if Venezia is anything to go off of, the 4-16/16-40 design is a likely candidate for tier X, and not the tier XI you are suggesting for ships in this thread.

As for technical data, this is all we've gotten:

Standard displacement: 61200 tons

Full load displacement: 66336 tons

Lenght: 256 m between perpendiculars

Beam: 40 m

Draught: //(currently missing the data)

Installed power: 195000 hp

Maximum speed: 29 knots

Protection: 50+(406 - 203) mm(belt), currently missing the data on the rest

Armament: 4x4 406/56, currently missing the data on the rest

NJ1UFbJ.png

And this is the only image posted that is reportedly from the design

Might need to do some work on the guns, but this seems more Tier 11 than 10, IMHO. I recently made a proposal where the Tier 10 had 10 of those 406mm / 56 guns. SIXTEEN of them is one hell of a tall order to go by for Tier 10. 

But thanks!

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula

[PRMUS]
Members
943 posts
2,312 battles

I can see it working. There would be no BB's after T10 but that would just be realistic. But cruisers could go further(USS Long Beach good idea) and carriers, destroyers and now submarines could be taken to the modern day.

Curious what tier you think would be appropriate for the Ford and Zumwalts?

Members
1,039 posts
4,347 battles
14 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Curious what tier you think would be appropriate for the Ford and Zumwalts?

Those two warships represent the current generation of warship design. They are more appropriate for their own game, rather than being part of World of Warships as it stands. Same thing applies for the Long Beach. 

As for the concept of Tier XI ships, were talking about not how much better warship design can get, but how much more ridiculous it can get. Note the A-150 and the H-44, not to mention the Pobeda.